Author Topic: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt  (Read 1053290 times)

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
Re: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt
« Reply #7890 on: March 25, 2013, 11:35:11 AM »
Gease louise, people, we're not the same person!
I'll do you one better brain hurt - my (former) friend and I used to be asked if we were sisters. This would be one thing if we looked alike at all - but she was Peruvian, dark curly hair, olive skin, and I'm a mix of Cherokee and Finnish, so I've got dark (curly, but always up so no one would notice) curly hair, and the palest skin on the planet. I all but glow in the dark. Our faces are nothing alike, and while I was an all-natural girl (no makeup, no big jewelry, etc) she was made up and decked out to the nines every time she left the house.

How we were sisters I'd never, ever guess.

Maybe the way you were interacting? My bff and I have been asked if we were related.  Once when we were doing the old time photo thing, the photographer told me to "Turn your head towards your mom".   I don't know if it's our looks so much as it is just the way we act around each other.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7891 on: March 25, 2013, 11:37:20 AM »
I saw an ad in a hunting supply catalog that was a toilet seat that goes on your reese hitch (on the back of your vehicle) under which you'd put a 5-gallon bucket or something. It's no longer for sale on the following site but is still listed on there.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200308541_200308541

I still chuckle over the following overly explicit (IMO) directions - note the bolded:

The Off-Road Commode is a great option when nature calls and there’s no restroom for miles. Easily slides into any 2in. receiver hitch and supports up to 500 lbs. Ideal for hunters, fishing fanatics and camping enthusiasts. Not for use when vehicle is in motion. Can get slippery when wet.

:o I mean, really? Someone has to be told this?

I live in Houston, Texas.  There are signs in some public bathrooms that specify that "soiled" toilet tissue is to be FLUSHED.  In English, Spanish, and sometimes a type face/writing that I don't recognize the language specifically.

Apparently some tourists or immigrants are from areas where the drains can't handle toilet tissue AND body waste - so there is toilet tissue being placed in trash cans instead of the toilet.

Around here, the trash can next to the toilet is for soiled "feminine products".  Or paper towels, if there is only one toilet in the bathroom and one trash container.

This was so in Beijing, even in the upper-tier hotel we were staying in.  Things might have improved since the Olympics, though.

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7892 on: March 25, 2013, 12:01:00 PM »
Diane AKA Traska wrote:

"Everquest has the aptly named Terrorantula.  It's like fighting an eight legged house.  Everquest2 upgraded it."

Is it wrong that this statement gave me the image of a gigantic drachnid with Hugh Laurie's face on it?  I imagine him looking at the swashbuckler stealthing nearby and sneering, "Yeah, you blend."

Virg

Browyn

« Reply #7893 on: March 25, 2013, 02:57:50 PM »
Diane AKA Traska wrote:

"Everquest has the aptly named Terrorantula.  It's like fighting an eight legged house.  Everquest2 upgraded it."

Is it wrong that this statement gave me the image of a gigantic drachnid with Hugh Laurie's face on it?  I imagine him looking at the swashbuckler stealthing nearby and sneering, "Yeah, you blend."

Virg

I was imagining the Baba Yaga stories and the house on chicken legs.  Picturing 8 chicken legs (of the extra crispy KFC variety) was not so scary.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7894 on: March 25, 2013, 03:56:51 PM »
The driver for my carpool today. :-\

Him - "Is that Coworker's car?"
Me - "I don't know. Doesn't he have a different colour of car?"
Him - "Well yeah, maybe. I thought I heard him say that he bought a new one. And he lives in that direction."
Me - <thinking> Thousands of people live in 'that direction'. And thousands of cars turn right at this intersection every day. Why in the heck would you think this one has to be him??

I have a manager who will say something similar.  We live in NJ but she's from Long Island. We have had customers sometimes who are from there originally, and lets say their last time is something common, but not as common as Smith or Jones. Let's say Anderson. So she will then say, oh, I knew someone in x town on LI with that name. Are you related?

Or someone will comment about someone they know in a particular profession in an area, and she will pipe up and ask their name, since in spite of their being thousands of accountants in such and such a town, this one person she knows MIGHT be the one they are talking about.

Cami

« Reply #7895 on: March 25, 2013, 04:11:20 PM »
I am having a brain hurty  moment today.

Today is the last day to order HandMadeThingamabobs. We had originally them in Sizes A, B, and C. The stock is given out on a strictly first-come first-served basis. The order information has been available for 4 months.  Two months ago, we ran out of Size A. The website is updated daily and the OUT OF STOCK label -- in RED -- is slashed across that Size. The zero quantity for Size A was highlighted on the last promo email I sent out.

Of course, today tons of people were  wanting to place their orders and the place wass a madhouse and we have that one person who called back six times wanting Size A. I kept telling him, 'Sir, I am sorry, but Size A is sold out and has been for two months. This fact is indicated on the website and on the email from which you are reading the promo code'. [In other words, sir, I KNOW you have the email and read it since you are using the code found only in that email.]

He kept callng, insisting only Size A would do. I kept repeating that I was sorry, but Size A sold out two months ago and the artist is not making any more in that Size A, so there are none to be had. He hangs up and calls back and keeps asking the same question and acknowledges that he knows he's talking to the same person he talked to 3 minutes ago.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7896 on: March 25, 2013, 04:20:01 PM »
Because everyone KNOWS that you "have more in the back" or that the employees have squirreled some away for themselves, so you should just go look in those vast stocks. ::)
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

bloo

« Reply #7897 on: March 25, 2013, 04:55:52 PM »

Him - "Well yeah, maybe. I thought I heard him say that he bought a new one. And he lives in that direction."
Me - <thinking> Thousands of people live in 'that direction'. And thousands of cars turn right at this intersection every day. Why in the heck would you think this one has to be him??

I have a manager who will say something similar.  We live in NJ but she's from Long Island. We have had customers sometimes who are from there originally, and lets say their last time is something common, but not as common as Smith or Jones. Let's say Anderson. So she will then say, oh, I knew someone in x town on LI with that name. Are you related?

Or someone will comment about someone they know in a particular profession in an area, and she will pipe up and ask their name, since in spite of their being thousands of accountants in such and such a town, this one person she knows MIGHT be the one they are talking about.

One of my DH's cousins was visiting us and was invited to my friend's house with us for dinner. My friend that was hosting is from Texas. When Cousin found out, he said, "Oh I know 'so-n-so' from Texas. Do you know him?" My friend just blinked and I busted out laughing and reminded him how large Texas is to which he sheepishly smiled.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #7899 on: March 25, 2013, 05:17:05 PM »

One of my DH's cousins was visiting us and was invited to my friend's house with us for dinner. My friend that was hosting is from Texas. When Cousin found out, he said, "Oh I know 'so-n-so' from Texas. Do you know him?" My friend just blinked and I busted out laughing and reminded him how large Texas is to which he sheepishly smiled.

On a flip note a friend of DH's was visiting his wife's home town in Texas. He met her childhood friend and mentioned he was in a band (back in NYC). The friend said "I have a nephew in a band in NYC - do you know him?" and lo & behold the wife's childhood friend was my DH's aunt. It does happen.

SheltieMom

« Reply #7900 on: March 25, 2013, 05:20:34 PM »

On a flip note a friend of DH's was visiting his wife's home town in Texas. He met her childhood friend and mentioned he was in a band (back in NYC). The friend said "I have a nephew in a band in NYC - do you know him?" and lo & behold the wife's childhood friend was my DH's aunt. It does happen.

And if it involved my dad, he WOULD know them. He knows everybody!
If Timmy had had a Sheltie, he never would have fallen in that well!

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #7901 on: March 25, 2013, 08:51:48 PM »
Not a conversation, but just brain-hurty in general:

My local YMCA has those no-touch Purel dispensers installed all over the place, including right next to many of the doorways.  Except they're all installed at around head height (to me, anyway, an average-sized woman).  So if you cut the corner too close coming out of the locker room, you get hand sanitizer spritzed on your shoulder.  If you back into one - like, oh, if you step aside to hold the door for someone - you get hand sanitizer down the back of your neck.  And if you happened to be in a wheelchair you couldn't get hand sanitizer at all.

I don't know how much it would cost them to re-install all the dispensers 18 inches lower, but I suspect they'd recoup their costs in savings on un-wasted Purel within a year or two!

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #7902 on: March 25, 2013, 09:11:40 PM »

A couple of my younger cousins were walking through a parking lot at a Tim Horton's in PEI. THey saw a car that had Texas Plates and a sticker from San Angelo. The driver was getting in the car, the kids ran up and asked if the driver new Dad, Mom, and I. He did - he was our neighbor.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Library Dragon

« Reply #7903 on: March 25, 2013, 09:17:57 PM »
It must be my week for brain hurty people and drinks.

I went to one of my local fast food places to get breakfast and morning diet cola.  Sometimes if the drive thru line is long I park, go in, and get my food to go. 

I was at the drink dispenser when a woman comes in from outside and starts filling her cup.  Okay, I've done that when I get regular instead of diet.  Then I notice that her cup is from a place that is located across town.  We leave at the same time and she climbs into her nice German sports car and drives off.  I guess I could get a fancier car too if I didn't pay for my morning drink. 

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

selkiewoman

« Reply #7904 on: March 26, 2013, 01:53:04 AM »
I am Scottish.  You would be amazed (or maybe not) at the number of people who ask if I know Susan Boyle.  Especially since I have not lived there for 45 years.