Author Topic: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt  (Read 953925 times)

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
Re: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt
« Reply #45 on: December 23, 2011, 11:04:38 AM »
Here's another goody we heard during a Q and A session on a cruise ship.

If we have to abandon ship will our luggage be sent on ahead?

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #46 on: December 23, 2011, 11:29:19 AM »
What about that congressman who thought that having too many military personnel in Guam would cause the island to tip over?

When I used to work at the librarian, a librarian told us this story through tears of laughter.  She had a customer come up to her *totally* infuriated.  "I've been asking for help for ten minutes and nobody has come to help me!  I'm almost out of computer time!"  The librarian was puzzled, since she'd been right at the desk the whole time and the woman hadn't come up to the desk at all.  "I was right here and I didn't see you get up.  How were you asking for help?"  "I was pushing that F1 key over and over and nobody came!"  I would totally think this was an urban legend except that the librarian told me right after it happened, so I guess some people really do make that mistake!

But most of my exchanges that make my brain hurt are with my 4-year-old.  She has a talent for asking the kind of questions that force me to answer, "Uh... I don't know.  I will have to ask Papa/look that up and get back to you."  Good thing I'm married to an engineer.

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #47 on: December 23, 2011, 11:30:35 AM »
I'm bipolar, and when I was checking into the hospital during a manic episode, encountered a check-in nurse/assistant/tech who had never heard the term "delusions of grandeur."  I had to spell it for her.

ETA that she worked ON the psych ward. And yes, I mentioned the incident to the head nurse.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2011, 12:03:32 PM by Ms_Cellany »
Current foster kittens: Friday (F: green collar), Duffy (M: blue), Fez (M: orange), Kipling (M: pink), Thirteen (F: yellow).

girlysprite

• I like big books, and I cannot lie
« Reply #48 on: December 23, 2011, 11:34:19 AM »
My husband once was convinced that dividing numbers by 2 gave the same result as the root of that number. It took me 10 minutes to convince him that it was hogwash...In the end I juat asked him 'look, you told me you have bad grades for math and dropped it as soon as possible, while I got stellar grades and had a lot of lessons in it. Could you just take my word for it?'

finecabernet

« Reply #49 on: December 23, 2011, 11:37:52 AM »
Not sure if this precisely counts, but I once had a man flag me down to tell me my tire was almost flat. The only issue I had was that I was driving into a car repair shop as he was telling me (hence my reason for being there  :P ).

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #50 on: December 23, 2011, 12:01:08 PM »
I had an ex who insisted moon phases were caused by the Earth's shadow, and that the Moon does not rotate on it's own axis.  He simply refused to believe the truth, even when I showed him.  Trying to deal with wilful ignorance makes my brain hurt, but I do enjoy this thread :)

dtbrad

« Reply #51 on: December 23, 2011, 12:45:18 PM »
I work in the US.  Some days I help the receptionist with shipping.  I had a college intern who wanted to ship a package to Australia "ground" ... I called to tell her that eventually it was going to have to cross water . . .

One on myself -- when I was much younger my dad told me that my car needed to have the tires rotated.  I replied, "But they rotate every day."  And I meant it.  Needless to say, I'm no mechanic.

Ezeesee

« Reply #52 on: December 23, 2011, 12:50:48 PM »
One on myself -- when I was much younger my dad told me that my car needed to have the tires rotated.  I replied, "But they rotate every day."  And I meant it.  Needless to say, I'm no mechanic.

Dtbrad, your answer makes complete sense to me! What else would it mean to rotate the tires? Probably a good thing I don't even own a car  :)

cabbagegirl28

• violinp's my sister :)
    • My Fitness/Singing Blog
« Reply #53 on: December 23, 2011, 12:59:58 PM »

Dtbrad, your answer makes complete sense to me! What else would it mean to rotate the tires? Probably a good thing I don't even own a car  :)

Well, basically, the wear on the back tires is different than the front tires. They move them so they don't wear out too fast and cause a blowout.

"To study and practice the goodness of life, the beauty of art, the meaning of music...To speak the words that build, that bless and comfort...And again, to practice./This is to be our symphony."

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #54 on: December 23, 2011, 01:01:19 PM »

Rotate in this sense means change them out, I think.
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

JoW

« Reply #55 on: December 23, 2011, 01:18:03 PM »

Actually, it means to move the back tires to the front and the front tires to the back to even-out the wear.  You don't buy new tires, you just re-arrange the ones you have now. 

eport

« Reply #56 on: December 23, 2011, 01:22:22 PM »
One from a friend of my brother.

Student goes to a college bar post last final exam to celebrate (is a senior and of legal drinking age). Bouncer will not accept his driver's license as proof of age because is it "obviously" a fake. Student shows that ID name/picture matches his student ID-no dice. Bouncer says that even it that is true, they don't have to accept said license because it is an out of state license and legally the bar only has to accept licenses from *this state* and states that touch *this state*.

This state is Missouri, Student is from Nebraska. Student goes to college library, checks out atlas, returns to bar and asks for a manager.

Larrabee

« Reply #57 on: December 23, 2011, 01:26:38 PM »
One from a friend of my brother.

Student goes to a college bar post last final exam to celebrate (is a senior and of legal drinking age). Bouncer will not accept his driver's license as proof of age because is it "obviously" a fake. Student shows that ID name/picture matches his student ID-no dice. Bouncer says that even it that is true, they don't have to accept said license because it is an out of state license and legally the bar only has to accept licenses from *this state* and states that touch *this state*.

This state is Missouri, Student is from Nebraska. Student goes to college library, checks out atlas, returns to bar and asks for a manager.

I was refused to entry to a bar in the US because my UK driver's licence is pink, and 'no proper country has pink driving licences' so it must be a fake.  8)

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
  • Paws for a smile
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #58 on: December 23, 2011, 01:27:29 PM »
I had an ex who insisted moon phases were caused by the Earth's shadow, and that the Moon does not rotate on it's own axis.  He simply refused to believe the truth, even when I showed him.  Trying to deal with wilful ignorance makes my brain hurt, but I do enjoy this thread :)

Well, you were both right. Moon phases are caused by the Earth's shadow and the moon's position in relationship to the sun and the Earth, due to its orbit around the Earth. And, yes, the Moon does rotate around its own axis. Its rotational speed "matches" its translational speed, sothe same side of the moon always faces the Earth and why there is such a thing as the "hidden side of the moon".

shhh its me

• Super Hero!
« Reply #59 on: December 23, 2011, 01:31:38 PM »

Actually, it means to move the back tires to the front and the front tires to the back to even-out the wear.  You don't buy new tires, you just re-arrange the ones you have now.
and side to side if they are nondirectional tires.