Author Topic: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt  (Read 1005699 times)

PeterM

Re: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt
« Reply #900 on: January 24, 2012, 02:48:42 PM »
Caller "Oh, I don't have a date. My buddy said it was in 2001. Or it might have been 2002."
Me "Well, if you ask the reference librarian for those dates, you can look them over. It will be a couple of hours in a nice warm library."

We get this guy at the library a lot, and he can be annoying. Many people are working off of third or fourth hand knowledge, though, and that's at best. Add in several generations having passed in many cases and it makes more sense. Can still be annoying, though.

Caller "Okay, thanks! I tried calling {radio station} first, but they didn't have any video."
(In the caller's defense, the radio station sponsored the event, so it wasn't a totally unreasonable request, although I'm still not sure why he thought a radio station would have the equipment to video an event.)

These days radio stations have all sorts of videos on their websites. Back in 2001 I'm not so sure, but maybe.

Me "Have you tried {local TV station}? It seems to me that if anyone would have video of an event, it would be them."
Caller "Thanks! I never thought of that!"  :o
Me "You're welcome, have a nice day!"

This, however. Oy.

"I need video of an event that happened in 2001. Maybe 2002. Now, who would've been present at a public event with the wherewithal to make a video recording of the proceedings? Eureka! I'll call a radio station!"

"Well, that didn't work. On to the newspaper!"

If you hadn't suggested calling the TV folks, I bet his next call would've been the Post Office.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #901 on: January 24, 2012, 03:00:08 PM »

"I need video of an event that happened in 2001. Maybe 2002. Now, who would've been present at a public event with the wherewithal to make a video recording of the proceedings? Eureka! I'll call a radio station!"

Actually the OP notes that the event was sponsored by the radio station, so I don't think his request to them was really all that unreasonable. 

Even though they obviously can't play a video over the radio, they may well have had video of the event itself for their own "promotional archives". 

2001 wasn't really all that long ago.  Pretty nearly anyone could own and operate a video camera.  Sure, it might have been VHS or even 8mm, but even those can be played on a TV for group viewing.

dawbs

« Reply #902 on: January 24, 2012, 03:13:53 PM »

At least you have authority to do some modicum of enforcement.  I see people doing this all the time, and have no authority to intervene - and nobody who *has* authority *does*  The local transit service would not run at a deficit if it actually enforced the "no food or drink" rule and ticketed accordingly.
True--it's only the 2nd week of the semester so I cut more slack. 
But this person is now 'on my radar' and, as the people who work here know, nothing good comes of being on Mrs. Dawbs' radar.If he does it again, he'll be booted for the day (and if he resists being booted...well, the last person who did that was removed by security.  And security likes me, I give them pizza  >:D)

Midge

« Reply #903 on: January 24, 2012, 03:17:41 PM »
Occasionally my DH snores at night. It doesn't usually bother me. When our son was still sleeping in our room, I would wake DH up when he started snoring. DH asked me to do this, because he didn't want to wake DS. That didn't always stop him from being annoyed at being woken up. For added information, my DH can fall asleep faster than most people can count to ten.  ;) Kidding, obviously, but he goes out FAST.

One morning we had this exchange:

DH: Why did you wake me up last night?
Me: You were snoring.
DH: I wasn't asleep.
Me: If you weren't asleep, how could I have woken you up?
DH: I wasn't asleep. I looked at the clock, it wasn't only four minutes after we laid down.
Me: It doesn't take you that long. I promise you were asleep, and you were snoring.
DH: It's not possible for me to fall asleep that fast.
Me: It is too. Amazing to see, also. Again, how could I have woken you if you weren't asleep?
DH: You didn't need to wake me. I wasn't snoring.
Me:  If you weren't asleep, then I didn't wake you. So, we have no problem, right?
DH: (Pauses) Well, I may have been asleep, but I wasn't snoring.

So, I must have just been jealous of him sleeping and decided to wake him up for no good reason.  ::)

I've had that same conversation with my snoring hubby! When he starts snoring, I hit him so he either rolls over onto his side, which helps, or at least wakes up a second or two and then doesn't snore for a while. He also conks out *like that* while I have insomnia and weird sleep patterns.

A few times, apparently, I've hit him for no good reason.

Him: snork, snork
I hit him lightly on the shoulder
Him: Why did you hit me? I wasn't asleep.
Him: No I wasn't. I wasn't even asleep!
Me: You were making the sames sounds you make when you snore.
Him: I wasn't asleep!
Me: Well, then, I'm sorry I hit you, but you were making the same dingdangity sounds you do when you sleep.
Me: Dude, you don't have to defend yourself. Being asleep, at night, in bed isn't a character flaw.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #904 on: January 24, 2012, 03:22:28 PM »

At least you have authority to do some modicum of enforcement.  I see people doing this all the time, and have no authority to intervene - and nobody who *has* authority *does*  The local transit service would not run at a deficit if it actually enforced the "no food or drink" rule and ticketed accordingly.
True--it's only the 2nd week of the semester so I cut more slack. 
But this person is now 'on my radar' and, as the people who work here know, nothing good comes of being on Mrs. Dawbs' radar.If he does it again, he'll be booted for the day (and if he resists being booted...well, the last person who did that was removed by security.  And security likes me, I give them pizza  >:D)

You just don't give it to them in the no eating area, I assume  :P

dawbs

« Reply #905 on: January 24, 2012, 03:41:28 PM »
nah, they just get leftovers for every event I host over the year...
which adds up to about 5x a year.

(I don't have much power at work...but I do control access to leftovers.  There's a reason the print shop and the security people and the custodial staff knows me--I ply them w/ pizza and cookies.  Which I don't allow THEM to eat in here either :-P)

elephantschild

« Reply #906 on: January 24, 2012, 04:09:54 PM »
White Dragon, I recently had a conversation with a reader that went like this:

Caller: "I saw something in your paper about this place that had fitness facilities and just opened. Could you give me more information?"
Me: "OK, that doesn't sound familiar ... when did the story run?"
Caller: "I don't know."
Me: "OK ... do you remember what the name of the place was?"
Caller: "No."
Me: "Where it was?
Caller: "No, I'm not sure."
Me: "Who wrote it?"
Caller: "I don't know."
Me: "OK, what kind of facilities do they have?" (Looking desperately for something, anything, to enter into our archive search. I'd already searched "fitness" and had no luck.)
Caller: "Stuff for seniors?" ("Seniors" and similar identifiers also come up with nothing.)
Me: "Honestly, I don't recall that story and without some sort of identifier, I can't specifically track it down. Are you sure it was in our paper?" (We get calls for stuff that ran in Big City paper and Local Small Weeklies all the time.)
Caller, exasperated: "You're no help at all!" *slams phone down*

::)
"But there was one Elephant -- a new Elephant -- an Elephant's Child--who was full of 'satiable curtiosity, and that means he asked ever so many questions."
-- "Just So Stories," Rudyard Kipling

Iris

« Reply #907 on: January 24, 2012, 04:33:27 PM »
Occasionally my DH snores at night. It doesn't usually bother me. When our son was still sleeping in our room, I would wake DH up when he started snoring. DH asked me to do this, because he didn't want to wake DS. That didn't always stop him from being annoyed at being woken up. For added information, my DH can fall asleep faster than most people can count to ten.  ;) Kidding, obviously, but he goes out FAST.

DH: I wasn't asleep. I looked at the clock, it wasn't only four minutes after we laid down.
Me: It doesn't take you that long. I promise you were asleep, and you were snoring.
Me: It is too. Amazing to see, also. Again, how could I have woken you if you weren't asleep?
Me:  If you weren't asleep, then I didn't wake you. So, we have no problem, right?

So, I must have just been jealous of him sleeping and decided to wake him up for no good reason.  ::)

I've had that same conversation with my snoring hubby! When he starts snoring, I hit him so he either rolls over onto his side, which helps, or at least wakes up a second or two and then doesn't snore for a while. He also conks out *like that* while I have insomnia and weird sleep patterns.

Me: Well, then, I'm sorry I hit you, but you were making the same dingdangity sounds you do when you sleep.
Me: Dude, you don't have to defend yourself. Being asleep, at night, in bed isn't a character flaw.

Oh noes!!! My husband has two other wives!!!
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

Bethczar

« Reply #908 on: January 24, 2012, 04:34:15 PM »

My husband has had a similar conversation with me. He'll wake me up because I'm snoring & I'll insist I was awake. I have a theory it's related to my history of sleep-talking & sleep-walking.

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #909 on: January 24, 2012, 05:16:46 PM »
Why do people deny that they snore?
Current fosters: Boojum (F, adult); Zuul (F); Magpie (M); Balrog (M); Nazgul (F)

Pinky830

« Reply #910 on: January 24, 2012, 05:21:58 PM »

Oh noes!!! My husband has two other wives!!!

Mine too! Man, that burns me up! "I couldn't have been SNORING! I wasn't asleep!"

Now that he has a CPAP, it's not as much of an issue. Unless he falls asleep without putting it on. Then I nudge him and say "Put your mask on."

He can't really deny that he doesn't have his mask on, so that's progress...

WhiteTigerCub

« Reply #911 on: January 24, 2012, 06:11:33 PM »

I know I snore because I often wake myself up doing it.  ;D

Arizona

hermanne

• Visualize whorled peas...
« Reply #912 on: January 24, 2012, 06:17:08 PM »

I know I snore because I often wake myself up doing it.  ;D

LOL ;D

DH can't deny it, I got it on video!
Bad spellers of the world, UNTIE!

dawnfire

« Reply #913 on: January 24, 2012, 07:16:50 PM »

hubby and i don't deny we both snore but for different reasons. his calcifications from broken noses, mine nasal ployps.

livluvlaf

« Reply #914 on: January 24, 2012, 09:14:23 PM »

When DH had his sinus surgery, he told a nurse he was allergic to morphine. I don't remember whether she was about to give him some, or just asking if he had any drug allergies. In any case, she responded with a skeptical look and said, "Are you sure? What happens when you have it?"

"It makes me itch all over. I'm telling you, I'm allergic to it."

She didn't push it after that, but I was annoyed. He said he's allergic to morphine, end of discussion.

Why would anyone LIE about being allergic to Morphine???   ;D