Author Topic: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt  (Read 1014221 times)

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
Re: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt
« Reply #4485 on: August 29, 2012, 11:50:01 AM »
My DH didn't know until a couple of days ago that Kate Bush did a version of "Rocket Man"
 :o
Oh dear.  Should I confess I have no idea who Kate Bush is? 

I'm American and have never heard of her (I thought it might be one of the former President's daughters), but I do know Rocket Man.

Same here.
 :) Poor JonGirl's head is goig to explode.

Is this where *I* confess that I have no idea who Kate Bush is, nor did even know what Rocket Man was until a recent episode of Big Bang Theory?

Amava

« Reply #4486 on: August 29, 2012, 11:51:12 AM »
My DH didn't know until a couple of days ago that Kate Bush did a version of "Rocket Man"

I'm American and have never heard of her (I thought it might be one of the former President's daughters), but I do know Rocket Man.

Same here.

Is this where *I* confess that I have no idea who Kate Bush is, nor did even know what Rocket Man was until a recent episode of Big Bang Theory?

I know Kate Bush and I love some of her songs, but I have no idea what Rocket Man even is. A song I suppose? Oh hey, what the hey, I'll look for it on Youtube, I'm curious now.
Y'all should go Youtube Kate Bush, too. She has a very lovely voice.  :D

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4487 on: August 29, 2012, 11:51:46 AM »

Same here.

I have no idea who either of them are!  :-\

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4488 on: August 29, 2012, 12:04:56 PM »
I have an uncommon last name. .  It was Anglicized over 150 years ago when my family emigrated to New York. It is therefore easy to spell and easy to pronounce if you just sound it out phonetically. To my continual amazement, most people insist upon trying to give the name an accent or pronunciation that bears little resemblance to the way my name looks (or how the original version was pronounced or spelled).  Imagine my name looks like Smith, but people insist upon pronouncing it Smeether.

Last week, I was speaking to a group of people who had received multiple emails from me over several months, but this occasion was our first face to face meeting. I introduced myself and a woman interrupted to ask, "Is that REALLY how you pronounce your name? Smith."

Me: "Yes. That is really how I pronounce my name. Smith."

Her: "Are you sure? I thought it was pronounced Smeether."

Me: "I am quite sure of the pronunciation of my own name. Smith."

Her: "Seriously? Are you sure? Smeether sounds better."

Honestly.
The closer I get to Louisiana or Quebec the more "misunderstandings" I get about my last name. I don't mind the do you pronounce your name Herbert  or "Ay Bear" question. It is the people that argue with me that I'm mispronouncing my name - Herbert comes from the British side of the family not the Arcadian.

You really can't tell what country my last name is from. You can tell that what it isn't--it doesn't look German or French or Spanish or Japanese or Chinese or Indian, but there's no real clue as to what ethnicity/country it comes from. It's actually Scottish, but there's no "Mc" or "Mac" on it anywhere.

And it has a double "L" right in the middle, which in Spanish isn't pronounced as an "L" but more as an "y" sort of sound (I don't speak Spanish--this is the closest approximation I could think of). And the double L is surrounded by vowels.

I used to live in an area with a high concentration of native Spanish speakers and bilingual Spanish/English speakers, and was very used to hearing my name mispronounced and mangled. That didn't bother me. What bothered me was that I would tell the person the correct way to say my last name, and they would argue that I was incorrect.

Just mind-boggling.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

renfield1969

« Reply #4489 on: August 29, 2012, 12:32:54 PM »

I had the following brain-breaking conversation at a friend's place of work (and art store). She'd popped in to hand over a Halloween costume for one of her colleagues, and while she was doing that, I had a wander around the shop floor.

While I was waiting, one of her other colleagues came over and started to chat with me, and by the time he'd finished, we were BOTH wishing he'd left me to ogle the sharpies...

Him: So, you're from England?
Me: Yes.
Him: Wow - I've never been. So what's London like?
Me: [slightly puzzled] Um - it's a big city. I've been a couple of times.
Him: [eyes widening] So...you don't live there?
Me: Um, no.

So far so fair enough. I don't expect people outside of the UK to necessarily have heard of Bristol (despite the fact that it's a sizeable city with a sizeable place in history), and given the amount of travelling I've done, I am sort of used to the automatic assumption that I must come from London.

Him: [eyes saucer sized now] Oh. Um...so it must be pretty rural where you live, huh?

So...the only big city in England is London and the rest is fields?

Him: [eyes about ready to drop out of his skull now] Oh...so you're from a coal mining area?
Me: Um, not really.

Have to say not really to that one because there *used* to be mining in the Bristol area. But I also knew that this guy wasn't thinking of that, he was thinking of giant spoil tips and huge mines a la Yorkshire and South Wales.

I also boggle completely at the logic says "if not London, fields. If not fields, mines."

Him: [speechless]
Me: I live in Bristol. It's a large city - though I don't think it's the same size as Philadelphia. It's about a hundred miles to the West of London, just before you get to Wales.

And the irony of this, of course, is that this guy was living in a state that was founded by someone who came from...Bristol. *sigh*

My wife and I just got back from Calgary, and a couple times we ran into a conversation that we had a few times when we visited Australia. It didn't really hurt our heads, but it put our personal geography into perspective.

Local person:     Where in the United States are you from?

Us:                     Baltimore, Maryland.

Local person:     ...Where's that?

Us:                     The east coast.

Local person:     ...?

Us:                     We're from New York.

Local person:     Oh! Okay.

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4490 on: August 29, 2012, 12:45:04 PM »

Same here.

I'm assuming they are referring to Rocket Man the Elton John song.  No idea who Kate Bush is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2hu2EwCm-k
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 12:48:37 PM by Shoo »

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #4491 on: August 29, 2012, 12:47:48 PM »

I had the following brain-breaking conversation at a friend's place of work (and art store). She'd popped in to hand over a Halloween costume for one of her colleagues, and while she was doing that, I had a wander around the shop floor.

While I was waiting, one of her other colleagues came over and started to chat with me, and by the time he'd finished, we were BOTH wishing he'd left me to ogle the sharpies...

So far so fair enough. I don't expect people outside of the UK to necessarily have heard of Bristol (despite the fact that it's a sizeable city with a sizeable place in history), and given the amount of travelling I've done, I am sort of used to the automatic assumption that I must come from London.

Him: [eyes saucer sized now] Oh. Um...so it must be pretty rural where you live, huh?

Him: [eyes about ready to drop out of his skull now] Oh...so you're from a coal mining area?

Have to say not really to that one because there *used* to be mining in the Bristol area. But I also knew that this guy wasn't thinking of that, he was thinking of giant spoil tips and huge mines a la Yorkshire and South Wales.

I also boggle completely at the logic says "if not London, fields. If not fields, mines."

Me: I live in Bristol. It's a large city - though I don't think it's the same size as Philadelphia. It's about a hundred miles to the West of London, just before you get to Wales.

And the irony of this, of course, is that this guy was living in a state that was founded by someone who came from...Bristol. *sigh*

My wife and I just got back from Calgary, and a couple times we ran into a conversation that we had a few times when we visited Australia. It didn't really hurt our heads, but it put our personal geography into perspective.

Hehe, I'm from Baltimore as well.  I usually use Washington DC as a reference :)

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #4492 on: August 29, 2012, 12:51:37 PM »

Same here.

I'm assuming they are referring to Rocket Man the Elton John song.  No idea who Kate Bush is.

Elton John?  Is he from Glee?

(KIDDING!)

Tia2

« Reply #4493 on: August 29, 2012, 12:52:31 PM »

Is Kate Bush one of those UK stars who have never cracked the US market?  She is well known in the UK (perhaps not currently a major star, but certainly famous).  I don't know much about her, but I don't follow many musicians.  I've certainly heard of her.

Moray

• My hovercraft is full of eels!
« Reply #4494 on: August 29, 2012, 12:54:44 PM »
Utah

norrina

« Reply #4495 on: August 29, 2012, 12:59:22 PM »

At least this person had the excuse of not being from the US. When I was living and working in North Carolina, I once had a co-worker (born and raised in the town we were working in) ask me upon learning I was from Maine, "Do they speak English there?"

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4496 on: August 29, 2012, 01:05:32 PM »

Is Kate Bush one of those UK stars who have never cracked the US market?  She is well known in the UK (perhaps not currently a major star, but certainly famous).  I don't know much about her, but I don't follow many musicians.  I've certainly heard of her.

I've heard of Kate Bush and I've heard Rocket Man many times, and I didn't know she covered that song.   I don't know why that makes the brain hurt.  Is there a back story about the OP's husband I missed?

elephantschild

« Reply #4497 on: August 29, 2012, 01:10:09 PM »
I'm going to snip the quote tree, but it's much the same when you live in parts of New York state that aren't, well, New York City. :) In fact, I just visited NYC for the first time a few months ago after a lifetime spent in New York state!

A few of mine who grew up in the same hometown (very rural part of the state) went to college out of state and constantly had to deal with people who assumed she was from NYC. When they learned her hometown had more cows than people and one stoplight in the entire municipality, they were dumbfounded. :) One person actually tried to argue with her that she couldn't have grown up in New York, it must have been Pennsylvania or Ohio or something.  :o

Trying to explain that I live in a city in New York state that isn't New York City can get brain-hurty as well.
"But there was one Elephant -- a new Elephant -- an Elephant's Child--who was full of 'satiable curtiosity, and that means he asked ever so many questions."
-- "Just So Stories," Rudyard Kipling

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4498 on: August 29, 2012, 01:13:51 PM »
One of my softball team mates made the clerk at the party store's head hurt at the beginning of the season.

He went in and asked for a pink princess tutu, large enough to fit adults.  The clerk didn't think they had any but then another employee came along and found him exactly what he was looking for.

Why, you ask, did he want a pink princess tutu, large enough to fit adults?

When you strike out or make a particularly boneheaded play, you get to wear the tutu, until the next person is awarded the privilege.  I knit a lovely pink bra to go with it.  It makes us laugh, adds some fun to the game and it is particularly amusing to see the guys in the outfit.  Particularly the two who bear a striking resemblance to Babe Ruth.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

magician5

« Reply #4499 on: August 29, 2012, 01:21:40 PM »

My awesome son pointed out yesterday that we in the US often are strikingly ignorant about our own country.  Of course some of the stereotypes about "the rest of America" (outside NYC, Chicago and the other largest urban areas) are true. But in many of these places (large and small) there is plenty of brilliant innovation, thought, art, cuisine, and more. For a single example, look at The Stranger, the weekly newspaper Dan Savage edits in Seattle ... just from a quick gloss of the articles, Seattle is an amazingly vital place. I'm sure Podunk (Michigan) and Peoria (as in "but will it play in Peoria?") are, too.

America is not all either Manhattan or Mayberry.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 01:28:38 PM by magician5 »
There is no 'way to peace.' Peace is the way.