News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• December 16, 2017, 07:04:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt  (Read 2110638 times)

rose red

Re: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt
« Reply #4485 on: August 29, 2012, 12:05:32 PM »

I'm assuming they are referring to Rocket Man the Elton John song.  No idea who Kate Bush is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2hu2EwCm-k

Is Kate Bush one of those UK stars who have never cracked the US market?  She is well known in the UK (perhaps not currently a major star, but certainly famous).  I don't know much about her, but I don't follow many musicians.  I've certainly heard of her.

I've heard of Kate Bush and I've heard Rocket Man many times, and I didn't know she covered that song.   I don't know why that makes the brain hurt.  Is there a back story about the OP's husband I missed?

Jaelle

« Reply #4486 on: August 29, 2012, 12:10:09 PM »
I'm going to snip the quote tree, but it's much the same when you live in parts of New York state that aren't, well, New York City. :) In fact, I just visited NYC for the first time a few months ago after a lifetime spent in New York state!

A few of mine who grew up in the same hometown (very rural part of the state) went to college out of state and constantly had to deal with people who assumed she was from NYC. When they learned her hometown had more cows than people and one stoplight in the entire municipality, they were dumbfounded. :) One person actually tried to argue with her that she couldn't have grown up in New York, it must have been Pennsylvania or Ohio or something.  :o

Trying to explain that I live in a city in New York state that isn't New York City can get brain-hurty as well.
“She was already learning that if you ignore the rules people will, half the time, quietly rewrite them so that they don't apply to you.”
― Terry Pratchett, Equal Rites

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #4487 on: August 29, 2012, 12:13:51 PM »
One of my softball team mates made the clerk at the party store's head hurt at the beginning of the season.

He went in and asked for a pink princess tutu, large enough to fit adults.  The clerk didn't think they had any but then another employee came along and found him exactly what he was looking for.

Why, you ask, did he want a pink princess tutu, large enough to fit adults?

When you strike out or make a particularly boneheaded play, you get to wear the tutu, until the next person is awarded the privilege.  I knit a lovely pink bra to go with it.  It makes us laugh, adds some fun to the game and it is particularly amusing to see the guys in the outfit.  Particularly the two who bear a striking resemblance to Babe Ruth.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

magician5

« Reply #4488 on: August 29, 2012, 12:21:40 PM »
I had the following brain-breaking conversation at a friend's place of work (and art store). She'd popped in to hand over a Halloween costume for one of her colleagues, and while she was doing that, I had a wander around the shop floor.

While I was waiting, one of her other colleagues came over and started to chat with me, and by the time he'd finished, we were BOTH wishing he'd left me to ogle the sharpies...

Him: So, you're from England?
Me: Yes.
Him: Wow - I've never been. So what's London like?
Me: [slightly puzzled] Um - it's a big city. I've been a couple of times.
Him: [eyes widening] So...you don't live there?
Me: Um, no.

So far so fair enough. I don't expect people outside of the UK to necessarily have heard of Bristol (despite the fact that it's a sizeable city with a sizeable place in history), and given the amount of travelling I've done, I am sort of used to the automatic assumption that I must come from London.

My awesome son pointed out yesterday that we in the US often are strikingly ignorant about our own country.  Of course some of the stereotypes about "the rest of America" (outside NYC, Chicago and the other largest urban areas) are true. But in many of these places (large and small) there is plenty of brilliant innovation, thought, art, cuisine, and more. For a single example, look at The Stranger, the weekly newspaper Dan Savage edits in Seattle ... just from a quick gloss of the articles, Seattle is an amazingly vital place. I'm sure Podunk (Michigan) and Peoria (as in "but will it play in Peoria?") are, too.

America is not all either Manhattan or Mayberry.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 12:28:38 PM by magician5 »
There is no 'way to peace.' Peace is the way.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #4489 on: August 29, 2012, 12:26:24 PM »
I had the following brain-breaking conversation at a friend's place of work (and art store). She'd popped in to hand over a Halloween costume for one of her colleagues, and while she was doing that, I had a wander around the shop floor.

While I was waiting, one of her other colleagues came over and started to chat with me, and by the time he'd finished, we were BOTH wishing he'd left me to ogle the sharpies...

Him: So, you're from England?
Me: Yes.
Him: Wow - I've never been. So what's London like?
Me: [slightly puzzled] Um - it's a big city. I've been a couple of times.
Him: [eyes widening] So...you don't live there?
Me: Um, no.

So far so fair enough. I don't expect people outside of the UK to necessarily have heard of Bristol (despite the fact that it's a sizeable city with a sizeable place in history), and given the amount of travelling I've done, I am sort of used to the automatic assumption that I must come from London.

My awesome son pointed out yesterday that we in the US often are strikingly ignorant about our own country.  Of course some of the stereotypes about "the rest of America" (outside NYC, Chicago and the other largest urban areas) are true. But in many of these places (large and small) there is plenty of brilliant innovation, thought, art, cuisine, and more.

America is not all either Manhattan or Mayberry.

Amusingly, we're looking to move from one extreme (pop: 1.5 million) to another (pop: 12K)

Kiara

• My dragons!
« Reply #4490 on: August 29, 2012, 12:27:50 PM »
My DH didn't know until a couple of days ago that Kate Bush did a version of "Rocket Man"
 :o
Oh dear.  Should I confess I have no idea who Kate Bush is? 

I'm American and have never heard of her (I thought it might be one of the former President's daughters), but I do know Rocket Man.

Same here.
 :) Poor JonGirl's head is goig to explode.

Is this where *I* confess that I have no idea who Kate Bush is, nor did even know what Rocket Man was until a recent episode of Big Bang Theory?

I knew William Shatner covered it....does that count for something?   ;D
Rogers/Barnes 2016 - With You 'til the End of the Line.

StuffedGrapeLeaves

« Reply #4491 on: August 29, 2012, 12:33:02 PM »
I'm going to snip the quote tree, but it's much the same when you live in parts of New York state that aren't, well, New York City. :) In fact, I just visited NYC for the first time a few months ago after a lifetime spent in New York state!

A few of mine who grew up in the same hometown (very rural part of the state) went to college out of state and constantly had to deal with people who assumed she was from NYC. When they learned her hometown had more cows than people and one stoplight in the entire municipality, they were dumbfounded. :) One person actually tried to argue with her that she couldn't have grown up in New York, it must have been Pennsylvania or Ohio or something.  :o

Trying to explain that I live in a city in New York state that isn't New York City can get brain-hurty as well.

I have a funny, brain-hurty story the other way around.  I do live in New York City.  I was in Europe visiting a friend, and this was the conversation with a friend of hers:

Him: So where do you live?
Me: New York
Him (looking incredulous):  New York?  As in New York City?
Me: Yes
Him: Oh, come on, that's not true.  You must live somewhere else.
Me: No, I live in New York City. 
Him: That's impossible.  Only super rich people live in New York City. 
Me: Not true.  All kinds of people live in New York City - over 8 million people, in fact. 
Him: No way.  That's not what I saw in the movies. 

He just could not wrap his head around the fact that other people other than the super rich live in New York City, too. 

KenveeB

« Reply #4492 on: August 29, 2012, 01:01:37 PM »

I went to undergrad in New York. Everyone assumes city. I have to explain that there were about 900 people in town, it was half an hour to the nearest Wal-Mart, and it was a 6-hour drive the one time I went to NYC!

WillyNilly

• Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #4493 on: August 29, 2012, 01:07:18 PM »
Well most people also assume NYC = Manhattan & skyscrapers, when really that's less then half the city's population and less then 1/5 the land mass of NYC.  Queens & Brooklyn alone without Manhattan (or The Bronx or SI) have more people then LA.  NYC has forests, rivers, wetlands, islands, cliffs & hills, individual houses with backyards, etc

BabyMama

• Jamberry Nail Wraps
« Reply #4494 on: August 29, 2012, 01:12:54 PM »
After all, there are people who don't know that Disney's "Winnie the Pooh" is based on a book by Milne with charming illustrations not at all Disney-like.

I tried to convince my DD to pick the original Winnie-the-Pooh books the last time we were at the book store. She looked at the illustrations and said in a haughty voice, "That's not Winnie-the-Pooh." Granted, she's 4...the next time I was there I paid the $40 for the complete treasury with fully-colored illustrations and we sat down to read the first chapter, which she thoroughly enjoyed.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 01:23:59 PM by BabyMama »

Sirius

« Reply #4495 on: August 29, 2012, 01:46:28 PM »
It took me until my Uncle Bud was engaged that I found out his name wasn't really Bud. Everyone in the family called him Bud or Buddy until his fiance called him "Jeff" (not his real name) and I said "Who's Jeff"?

And there is the issue. If they ever have a job where they are required to use their legal name (banking or a government job), are in the hospital, or incarcerated, only their immediate family members know their actual name. I am not calling the hospital to ask for any of these: Bitsy, Gopher, Scooter, Screech.

Back before HIPAA I was helping at the hospital admissions desk, and someone called and asked to be transferred to Fred Ziffle's room, as he was a patient in the hospital.  (Not the real name.)  I asked, "How do you spell that?"  They didn't know.  So, I looked up the admit lists for the previous few days; no Fred, nothing even close.  I explained this, and they insisted, "But he's there!  He said so!"  After some more questioning I ascertained that Fred's legal first name was actually something like Adolfredulousboingboing.  That name I found, and he'd been discharged.  But then I got, "No, he isn't.  He says he's still there."  Then they wanted me to go up and ask the floor.  No.

Hillia

« Reply #4496 on: August 29, 2012, 01:56:21 PM »
I grew up in South Texas, so lots and lots of Hispanic names.  One day in HS I was sitting closest to the door, so I opened it when a messenger came from the office looking for 'Santiago Garcia'.  I told him there was no such person in that class, but he insisted.  We finally got it straightened out, and Santiago 'Jimmy' Garcia got his message.

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
« Reply #4497 on: August 29, 2012, 02:00:41 PM »
One of my tasks at work is to download large data files from client servers.
Sometimes these systems can be a bit tempermental and we have problems getting our data.

I had put in a request for some data and while I was waiting the day or two for it to be loaded, the system went kerplooey and wouldn't talk to me.

Which resulted in a very brain hurty email from the data manager:

"Your issue with our FTP has been sent to the IT department for resolution.
The files you requested have uploaded to the FTP."

So...first you acknowledge that I can't get to the server, and then you tell me that this is where you put the data.
And this helps me...how?  ::)
"I think her scattergun was only loaded with commas and full-stops, although some of them cuddled together for warmth and produced little baby colons and semi-colons." ~ Margo

Luci

« Reply #4498 on: August 29, 2012, 02:40:20 PM »
After all, there are people who don't know that Disney's "Winnie the Pooh" is based on a book by Milne with charming illustrations not at all Disney-like.

I tried to convince my DD to pick the original Winnie-the-Pooh books the last time we were at the book store. She looked at the illustrations and said in a haughty voice, "That's not Winnie-the-Pooh." Granted, she's 4...the next time I was there I paid the $40 for the complete treasury with fully-colored illustrations and we sat down to read the first chapter, which she thoroughly enjoyed.

That's cool. I do know what is going to happen in a year or two, K or 1st grade: she will mention the first Winnie-the-Pooh and no one will believer her, and her brain will hurt.

I was a pretty nerdy little kid who knew lots of stuff others didn't, so I learned pretty quickly just to keep quiet about things like that, although of course not this particular thing. I was an adult when Disney did their thing.

Good, Luci, discourage the nice mommy.

magician5

« Reply #4499 on: August 29, 2012, 02:41:17 PM »

That's why I never bought my kids ANYTHING Disney - Milne's original has (don't let the title fool ya) depth and quality of writing - Disney's is a moneymaking machine.
There is no 'way to peace.' Peace is the way.

Sorry, this topic is locked. Only admins and moderators can reply.