Author Topic: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt  (Read 1046335 times)

Virg

• Super Hero!
Re: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt
« Reply #4920 on: September 21, 2012, 02:45:00 PM »
Twik wrote:

"Basically, it's a "once you know the system, it's filll in the blanks for each specific product". The problem is knowing the system. If you don't practice each step, as Virg points out, you won't remember enough about them to recreate them when required. But practice (and enough repetition to sink in) takes time. It's not something you can run through in an hour."

My point is that learning something I won't do more than once every six months would require me to be able to replicate the task directly from a document because I'm not going to retain any in-head knowledge about something I do so seldom, so I thought that eight hours would be more time than I'd need to run through the reference to the point that would allow me to follow it.  Then you came back with the details, including a thousand page reference and the possibility of jail time for screwing up badly enough, and suddenly eight hours isn't nearly enough time to teach someone a task of that magnitude well enough to avoid mistakes.  I have a Chilton's book in my garage that covers entirely disassembling and reassembling an automobile (with pictures) in under 700 pages, so either the reference guide is woefully done or the task is apparently more complex than a day's training can cover.  My point is that in either case, the time frame you presented doesn't seem reasonable for the task.  I'll freely admit that I might be wrong, but going on what's been presented I'm left to wonder about it.

Virg

Adelaide

« Reply #4921 on: September 21, 2012, 05:15:54 PM »
There's a boy at my school who is physically flawless. He's naturally dark blond, very fit, and his face is absolutely perfect. The weird thing is that girls aren't flocking to him. I've had several conversations with people and whenever he's mentioned girls inevitably end up saying "He's too good-looking. I don't trust him." I have literally never heard that said about anyone else. He's a nice enough guy, you'd think girls would be falling all over themselves. Maybe he's too intimidating or something.

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #4922 on: September 21, 2012, 05:20:30 PM »

Can you imagine how long the Presidential debates will be, repeating them for every single viewer:o

...That sounds like the most awesome version of 'Telephone' ever....

HAHAHAHAA!!  ;D That made me giggle out loud. Nice.
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

Cat-Fu

• My cat is a ninja
« Reply #4923 on: September 21, 2012, 05:23:37 PM »
There's a boy at my school who is physically flawless. He's naturally dark blond, very fit, and his face is absolutely perfect. The weird thing is that girls aren't flocking to him. I've had several conversations with people and whenever he's mentioned girls inevitably end up saying "He's too good-looking. I don't trust him." I have literally never heard that said about anyone else. He's a nice enough guy, you'd think girls would be falling all over themselves. Maybe he's too intimidating or something.

I think a lot of women have had bad experiences with overly good-looking men who have a matching over-inflated sense of self-importance. I can't entirely blame them for not wanting to risk it just for hotness. :P
“Poetry is a sword of lightning, ever unsheathed, which consumes the scabbard that would contain it.” PBS

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #4924 on: September 21, 2012, 05:26:09 PM »

I think a lot of women have had bad experiences with overly good-looking men who have a matching over-inflated sense of self-importance. I can't entirely blame them for not wanting to risk it just for hotness. :P

Sadly, this is true. Lots of women I know would say about that guy, "There just has to be something wrong with him. He has to be a serial killer, or a cheater, or something."
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

Adelaide

« Reply #4925 on: September 21, 2012, 05:38:07 PM »

Sadly, this is true. Lots of women I know would say about that guy, "There just has to be something wrong with him. He has to be a serial killer, or a cheater, or something."

I know guys like that who are very aware of how good they look and it shows. But this guy is just...mild-mannered. He doesn't radiate that "Let's all bask in the glory of me" vibe that some people have. Okay, I see what you mean. Ted Bundy comes to mind, although I think Ted was supposed to be pretty charismatic. This poor kid. It's not his fault he's so freakishly handsome. There is one girl who seems a little obsessed with him, but he doesn't pay her any mind. She's the only one who openly flirts with him though.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 05:42:20 PM by Adelaide »

Pippen

« Reply #4926 on: September 21, 2012, 05:52:20 PM »

We had a girl at Uni who all the boys referred to as 'The Goddess' but they were all too intimidated to approach her. She actually became quite good friends with my flatmate Simon who was this crazy but very sweet Chinese Goth so all the lads were very impressed. She was a lovely person. Very kind and funny and she told me one night over a few drinks she was actually quite lonely and had never had a boyfriend and girls avoided her simply because of the way she looked.

Jones

« Reply #4927 on: September 21, 2012, 06:17:08 PM »
I know guys like that who are very aware of how good they look and it shows. But this guy is just...mild-mannered. He doesn't radiate that "Let's all bask in the glory of me" vibe that some people have. Okay, I see what you mean. Ted Bundy comes to mind, although I think Ted was supposed to be pretty charismatic. This poor kid. It's not his fault he's so freakishly handsome. There is one girl who seems a little obsessed with him, but he doesn't pay her any mind. She's the only one who openly flirts with him though.

This sounds a little like the Penguin Maneuver. Penguins will gather at the edge of the ocean and push around until one falls in. The others all wait to see if he survives, or if a predator comes after him. If the waters are proved safe, they all jump in and start fishing.

In this case, it kinda sounds like everyone is concerned about this guy, not that they should judge by his looks but it is something people do; now they are waiting for him to react to the flirting of the one penguin who's splashing around in the water, to see if he's a "predator" or a decent guy.

Iris

« Reply #4928 on: September 21, 2012, 07:13:48 PM »

I can kind of see this because although I have met and/or seen very many very attractive men and women in my life, I have met VERY few truly 'flawless' people. I find that when someone has that 'Greek statue' look others tend to be wary or slightly uncomfortable around them. It's like they're waiting for them to take off their mask. The only really really flawless people that I have seen not affected by this have a *load* of personality and charisma. It's like the opposite of the unattractive person where you don't notice that they're unattractive because of their personality.
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

Adelaide

« Reply #4929 on: September 21, 2012, 07:20:33 PM »

This sounds a little like the Penguin Maneuver. Penguins will gather at the edge of the ocean and push around until one falls in. The others all wait to see if he survives, or if a predator comes after him. If the waters are proved safe, they all jump in and start fishing.

In this case, it kinda sounds like everyone is concerned about this guy, not that they should judge by his looks but it is something people do; now they are waiting for him to react to the flirting of the one penguin who's splashing around in the water, to see if he's a "predator" or a decent guy.

This may be what they're doing, and I suspect it might be because people have expressed distrust. Of course, this girl is also trying to mark her territory (and she's a little psycho so it might have actually worked even if the guy wasn't freakishly hot) in a really obvious way. I suppose this too counts as a brain hurty topic, because the other day before class we were sitting there and she loudly started saying how she was sorry but she wasn't sure if she was going to make it to some administrative thing they were going to do together. He shrugged and said that it was no big deal. When more people came in the room she said it again, and then gave some excuse why. Again, he said it was no big deal. She said "I'll text you about it!" at least three times while holding up her phone and after class she made it a point to tell all the girls that she and HotBoy were supposed to go do this school thing together and she felt badly for cancelling but she'd definitely be able to go later. And it was okay because they had each other's phone numbers. And also she knew where he lived. I wanted to say "Slow down, we get it. You're the only one with a horse in this race anyway, he's all yours" but I didn't.  :P

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4930 on: September 21, 2012, 07:46:33 PM »

I can kind of see this because although I have met and/or seen very many very attractive men and women in my life, I have met VERY few truly 'flawless' people. I find that when someone has that 'Greek statue' look others tend to be wary or slightly uncomfortable around them. It's like they're waiting for them to take off their mask. The only really really flawless people that I have seen not affected by this have a *load* of personality and charisma. It's like the opposite of the unattractive person where you don't notice that they're unattractive because of their personality.

There was a time when I got annoyed at DH calling me "cute" cause I just saw "cute" as being a term for kids or childlike adults.   Then an article written by a guy explained it.  Women like Angelina Jolie are thought of as "Drop dead gorgeous" and "Beautiful", "hot", "Goddess", but men are intimidated by them.

A woman who is "cute", however, is a woman who is good looking, approachable, and someone you could see marrying.   In other words, the "cute" woman is Janeane Garafalo and the 'hot gorgeous one' is Uma Thurman.  Sure many guys might check out Uma, or Angelina but a lot of them would end up with a Sandra Bullock, Meg Ryan, etc. cause they're just as attractive, but fun to be around and not as threatening.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4931 on: September 21, 2012, 08:33:40 PM »
Re: Hot Guy.

I knew a girl that was smokin! she was so hot. The perfect bod, the perfect personality. Most times, she was dateless. She kept asking me "What's wrong with me? Why can't I get a date?"

I was talking to a guy that she was interested in and asked him "Why don't you ask her out?"

He said "What? Me? Ask somebody like her out? She'll knock me down in a second. I don't have a chance."

He was so insecure with himself that he blew it. Yeah. He really did have a chance with her because she liked him.

One would think that all the (truely) beautiful (including personality) men and women in the world could pick and choose their mate-of-the-month.

While in reality the beautiful people aren't looking for someone that treats them like arm candy, they are looking for a soul mate just like anybody else.

Ceallach

• This Is It
« Reply #4932 on: September 22, 2012, 12:40:45 AM »

Well I'm not expert, but it seems fairly obvious to me that he is the real Edward Cullen.... natural human preservation instincts are creating the inexplicable aversion to an otherwise physically perfect specimen.  ;D   Either that or some of the girls have already tried and struck out. 

In all seriousness though, this isn't unusual.  People like to scoff at the suggestion that there are downsides to good looks, but there really are.   Unless they have the outgoing personality to match the looks - and therefore go get their own dates - people can make a lot of assumptions about them. 
"Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something"

snowdragon

« Reply #4933 on: September 23, 2012, 12:59:06 PM »
My sister and I tried a new restaurant on Saturday. We'll never go again. I ordered a roast beef on weck sandwich and a salad. The salad was limp and had barely any dressing. The sandwich was horrid. The meat was raw, not rare but raw and tasted rancid.  I took one bite and could not eat it. I tried to send it back and the waitress looked at me and said

W: "The meat is spoiled?"
Me: Yeah, the meat tastes rancid.
W: It's still red, it's not spoiled.
Me: It'd red because it's still rare, not rare and it tastes rancid.
W: So you're telling me you won't eat it"
Me: No, I won't eat it - it's spoiled.
W: Well is there anything else wrong with it?
M:Isn't that enough?
W: Is there anything else wrong with it that you won't eat it?
Me: I'd like my check and I won't pay for a sandwich I can not eat.
W:???????

She took off the sandwich but she never seemed to get it.

Sigh.

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #4934 on: September 23, 2012, 01:03:49 PM »
I don't know if I mentioned this already, but that reminds me of the time I opened a pasty (like this: http://www.ginsters.co.uk/productdetail.asp?RangeID=2&ProdID=198) to find it was mouldy.  i took it back and the lady behind the counter just kept repeating, "But it's in date."  I assured her that I understood that, but that the product was mouldy so it really didn't matter.  It took quite a hassle to get my money back!