Author Topic: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt  (Read 1038947 times)

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
Re: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt
« Reply #4935 on: September 23, 2012, 01:16:15 PM »
I don't know if I mentioned this already, but that reminds me of the time I opened a pasty (like this: http://www.ginsters.co.uk/productdetail.asp?RangeID=2&ProdID=198) to find it was mouldy.  i took it back and the lady behind the counter just kept repeating, "But it's in date."  I assured her that I understood that, but that the product was mouldy so it really didn't matter.  It took quite a hassle to get my money back!

Ow. Just...ow. I once drank milk that smelled funny (I have a crazy - sensitive nose), but was in - date. Yeah...my gut did not thank me kindly later.
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #4936 on: September 23, 2012, 02:03:24 PM »
Recent funny...although I think it's fair to say that I was the brain hurt-er.  I live in a very touristy area and was asked where the closest Starbucks was.

Me:  I'm sorry, I have no idea where there is a Starbucks.  There is a small private coffee and pastry shop just down the street though.

Her:  You live here right? How can you not know where a Starbucks is, they are everywhere.

Me: Ma'am, I don't drink coffee and can honestly say that I've never stepped foot in a Starbucks in my life.

Her:  <sheer look of horror and much sputtering>  Never, never been, but how...you don't drink...coffee...how do you function without coffee?  Is this other coffee shop any good?

Me:  I have no idea how their coffee is, but everyone local goes there.  They serve some food, great pastries, cakes and cookies, Fruit smoothies, exotic teas and a lot of different coffees.  I usually only go there for group activity.

She finally left, deciding to try the coffee shop as she was in desperate need of caffeine...I ran into her shopping a few days later, long enough for her to yell at me that I have ruined Starbucks forever for her. 

There is just no pleasing some people.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

GreenHall

« Reply #4937 on: September 23, 2012, 02:41:11 PM »
Several of my cousins have been married this year. Last night, I mentioned a thank you note from one, while talking with the mother of another recently married.  The mother said that she did not know where the rule that only the bride could write thank you notes came from, but she'd told her son he lucked out there.   
I did not say anything, but was thinking "WHAT?!? Has E-Hell led me wrong?"
An admittedly short google search this morning, and I wonder if this belief may be a conflation of the rule I just learned that only the bride writes bridal shower thank-yous (which makes sense to the degree that those are gifts to the Bride)
...in retrospect I can't even figure out how I could have questioned the matter of fact statement when she said it, much less after the fact. 
Aunt's family has always done thank yous, so I think she believes this (don't know if the bride/brides family may have even given the information...).

Shea

« Reply #4938 on: September 23, 2012, 02:42:02 PM »
Recent funny...although I think it's fair to say that I was the brain hurt-er.  I live in a very touristy area and was asked where the closest Starbucks was.

Me:  I'm sorry, I have no idea where there is a Starbucks.  There is a small private coffee and pastry shop just down the street though.

Her:  You live here right? How can you not know where a Starbucks is, they are everywhere.

Me: Ma'am, I don't drink coffee and can honestly say that I've never stepped foot in a Starbucks in my life.

Her:  <sheer look of horror and much sputtering>  Never, never been, but how...you don't drink...coffee...how do you function without coffee?  Is this other coffee shop any good?

Me:  I have no idea how their coffee is, but everyone local goes there.  They serve some food, great pastries, cakes and cookies, Fruit smoothies, exotic teas and a lot of different coffees.  I usually only go there for group activity.

She finally left, deciding to try the coffee shop as she was in desperate need of caffeine...I ran into her shopping a few days later, long enough for her to yell at me that I have ruined Starbucks forever for her. 

Wait, the fact that you personally have never been in a Starbucks ruined the place for her? I...I don't even know what to do with that... :o

If a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, librarians are a global threat.

Hillia

« Reply #4939 on: September 23, 2012, 02:47:20 PM »

Wait, the fact that you personally have never been in a Starbucks ruined the place for her? I...I don't even know what to do with that... :o

I think the point is that the tourist lady went to Local Non-Starbucks Coffee Shop and it was so good, Starbucks is now ruined for her.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

PeterM

« Reply #4940 on: September 23, 2012, 02:56:48 PM »

I took it to mean that the non-Starbucks coffee was just that much better than Starbucks. Most people are happy when they find a really good restaurant/cafe, but I can conceive of people who would be mad at being introduced to something great.

Amava

« Reply #4941 on: September 23, 2012, 03:01:59 PM »

I think the point is that the tourist lady went to Local Non-Starbucks Coffee Shop and it was so good, Starbucks is now ruined for her.

That's how I took it too. I can see someone say that in a joking way, but she was actually seriously yelling? That is crazy.  :o

brb ruining McDonalds for some people by sending them to the locally owned fries place.  ;D

squeakers

« Reply #4942 on: September 23, 2012, 03:03:11 PM »
I hurt some brains last night.

Last night was the Homecoming dance and Middle Son went to it.  DH is gone on a business trip so Youngest Son has taken over his side of the bed (our bed is supercomfy and he gets to sleep with my little dog (she sleeps with me)).  Oldest Son was up and playing on his PC when I went to bed.

2 hours later I woke up to a foot touching mine.  I freaked because I knew DH was not home.  Then my frazzled brain remembered YS was sleeping with me.  So I fell back asleep.

Only to be woken up by a voice that was his coming from the living-room/kitchen!

I stumbled out of bed, did not put my glasses on and stood in the hallway blearily asking "YS?, Youngest Son!" (Thinking no way is he getting up and staying up until morning.. this isn't summer break/winter break, just the week-end).

A voice answered me back "Hi, Aunt squeakers!". Walk into the kitchen and find Younger Nephew making a pizza. Ah. Ok.

But where is Younger Son? Aha! I bet he is in OS's room!

Open the door and glance around.  No YS. Just MS, OS and Older Nephew.

"Where's Youngest Son?"

OS answers "Umm, mom.  He's in your bed."

"oh." *stumbles back to bed where YS was sleeping soundly.*

Then I hear his voice again and put 2 and 2 together: Younger Nephew sounds just like Youngest Son.

And then I hear giggling coming from OS's room as they wondered if I was sleepwalking.  I'm sure I had those giant owl eyes going on as I attempted to see in focus.  Not to mention wild hair and cute PJs.

(Older Nephew, Younger Nephew and Middle Son were all at the dance and came to our house to yak, eat some pizza and prolly play some WoW with Oldest Son.)
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin

Hillia

« Reply #4943 on: September 23, 2012, 03:06:46 PM »
That reminds me of a piece by Shirley Jackson recounting the nighttime ramblings of her household: her, her husband, 3 kids, a dog, and her pack of cigarettes.  I think the cigarettes got lost somewhere along the way.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Shea

« Reply #4944 on: September 23, 2012, 04:02:51 PM »

I took it to mean that the non-Starbucks coffee was just that much better than Starbucks. Most people are happy when they find a really good restaurant/cafe, but I can conceive of people who would be mad at being introduced to something great.

Ah, I get it. Still, lady was a bit special if she was actually mad...

If a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, librarians are a global threat.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4945 on: September 23, 2012, 04:24:14 PM »

I can believe that.  Both times when we were stationed in Europe, I had other Americans tell me that they never ate local foods.  Not because they thought that the local foods would be bad, but because they might like it!  If they liked it, they would miss it when they went back to the US, so they never tried it at all.  ::)
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #4946 on: September 23, 2012, 04:44:12 PM »
But let's assume my training presentation was the equivalent of reciting the Gettysburg address. The length of time it takes to say it is not dependent on the number of people listening, is it?

LOL!

This reminds me of our VideoGuy at work's brain-hurty moments with customers. (This was years back when everybody used VCR tapes instead computer videos.)

Customer: I need you to duplicate this tape for me. I need 10 copies and I really need them in like an hour or so.

VG: How long is the tape?

Customer: About an hour long.

VG: And you want 10 copies in 1 hour? Sorry, no can do. I only have 1 duplicator and the tapes are duped in real time.

Customer: So how long will it take?

VG: About 10 hours.

Customer: What? Why does it take so long?

VG: Real time means that for every minute of tape it takes a minute to duplicate. Your tape is 60 minutes long so I need 60 minutes to make one duplicate.

Customer: 60 minutes . . . that's an hour, right? Great! So I can get my duplicates in an hour!

VG (knocking his head against the wall to stave off the brain hurty): Let's start over . . .

::)

Believe me, I can sympathize.  I'd get the docs handing me a tape to transcribe and telling me, "I need this 30-minute report in ten minutes."  I ask, "Is the tape completely full?"  Usually it was.  Then I'd tell them, "Not going to happen."  Had one guy get quite upset with me when I told him his 7 hours of dictation wasn't going to be finished by the following morning.  A fairly good estimate as to how long a dictation will take is 15 minutes of dictation per hour of typing.  He handed me seven 1-hour tapes and told me they were all full, front and back.  Nope, not going to happen.  And he can yell all he wants, but that's not going to change the speed of time.

Pippen

« Reply #4947 on: September 23, 2012, 05:01:55 PM »
This one hurt my brain and also made me pretty flipping amazed at the rudeness and stupidity of people.

I was outside my work when this woman drove into the car park pulled up next to me wound down her car window and just started shouting a number at me. (For argument sake '74')

I looked at her strangely thinking I may have misheard her so she shout it louder over and over again getting more and more aggressive each time. Finally having had enough and having no idea what she is trying to communicate I tell her 'Look. I have no idea what you are saying or what you want from me so you may as well leave.' She then shouts it a few more times and finally says 'I'm looking for number 74. This is 180 where is 74'. Ah so she is looking for an address. I just told her I had no idea and walked back inside. Stuff her. She can drive around all day looking for it for all I cared.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #4948 on: September 23, 2012, 05:04:43 PM »

Yeah, she was pissed because it is so much better than any Starbucks and she doesn't live here.  Whereas Starbucks has been her favortie coffee forever.  The local place sells their coffee and tea blends and she had a several bags...so she was maybe mad because she spent a bunch of money on coffee.  Overall a weird encounter though.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #4949 on: September 23, 2012, 05:06:55 PM »

Yeah, she was pissed because it is so much better than any Starbucks and she doesn't live here.  Whereas Starbucks has been her favortie coffee forever.  The local place sells their coffee and tea blends and she had a several bags...so she was maybe mad because she spent a bunch of money on coffee. Overall a weird encounter though.

Great googly moogly. Of all the things to be mad over...
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter