Author Topic: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt  (Read 1043996 times)

Ceallach

• This Is It
Re: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt
« Reply #4980 on: September 26, 2012, 08:35:14 PM »
POD. I've always felt that way.   There was a time when my mom met a friend of mine when she picked me up from college. I'd described this friend as very pretty, as I thought that she was. On the way home I said something like "Isn't she pretty?"

"Eh. She's kinda plain.  Does she ever wear makeup or do anything with her hair?" Next time I looked at my friend I just kinda mentally rolled my eyes at my mother as I just couldn't see what she meant by plain.  No, friend didn't wear makeup much, if at all.  She still doesn't but I don't think she really even needs it. Her hair is brown and straight, usually worn shoulder length and if she does anything with it, it's usually to just pull it into a ponytail.  She's shorter than I am and a bit curvier but I don't see the "plain". This friend is very sweet and quiet and a lot of fun on a one on one basis.

My best friend describes herself as plain but I'm not seeing that either.

My mother is somebody who really doesn't "see" beauty the way other people do.   The number of times over the years I've heard her say something like "And I met <friends> daughter Angela and she is just such a beautiful young lady!" and she sincerely means it.  She'll rave about how beautiful the particular person is.  And I'll meet her and she'll inevitably be a slightly awkward, gawky young lady (I'm not intending to sound mean here, just to give a description) on the plain side, but who admittedly has a very lovely, sweet personality.  But my mother - who doesn't wear makeup, dye her hair or know anything about clothes - doesn't see any of those things missing in other people either.    It's quite endearing.   

My mother is also very naive and very impressionable though.  It means I have to take everything she says with a grain of salt.  She's a shocker for repeating things she hears as fact without verifying them so gets sucked into conspiracy theories a lot.  As a kid I ended up believing all sorts of nonsense, whereas now I challenge her and she uses logic and fact and realises that perhaps the person who told her or the random place she read it was wrong after all!   
"Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something"

HorseFreak

« Reply #4981 on: September 26, 2012, 09:39:59 PM »
An interaction with my assistant, Annie, this week:

BG: I discover a machine I use on a regular basis is malfunctioning in a very bad way. I speak to someone a little more knowledgeable about it and we go through the troubleshooting, ruling out all the previous and possible causes. It leaves us with one possibility: incorrect filling of a consumable product that needs replacing every several uses. Annie is the one performing this task and we have this discussion.

Me: When you fill the Machine, do you cap the opening? [The machine comes with a cap that prevents product from spilling out into a Bad Place]
Annie: What? *Has confused look*
Me: *Explains self in three different ways* Product has been passing into Bad Place which could only happen if the opening isn't capped with the attached stopper. Do you always cap it?
Annie: Oh, no! I just pour around it. It doesn't get in.
Me: Well, some is getting in. I need you to cap the opening every time.
Annie: But I'm really careful not to get it in there.
Me: It's getting in. *Explains danger of this happening*
Annie: I just pour it really low. It's fine.
Me: *Bangs head on wall mentally* Annie, no, you HAVE to cap it from now on. We can't have any possibility of this accidentally happening.
Annie: Well, I'm really careful, but I guess I can do that. *Still seems confused and dreamy*

This is how every conversation goes. I honestly shouldn't have to write and post an SOP for something not much more complicated than filling your car with gas, but that's what I'll be doing at work tomorrow.

And she wonders why I won't let her do anything that requires any skill or attention to detail.

Shea

« Reply #4982 on: September 28, 2012, 10:56:07 AM »
Loony Library Patron of the Day:

(Patron enters the library and, after looking around with a slightly bemused expression on his face, approaches the reference desk)

Me: Hello.
Patron: Have you seen my book?
Me: Which book are you looking for?
Patron: MY book!
Me: Did you leave something here accidentally?
Patron: No, no, it's MY book! The book I always have when I come here!
Me: Okay...can you tell me the author or the title?
Patron: (slightly annoyed voice) I don't know, it's just my book!
Me: I'm not sure how to help you, sir. Maybe you could browse the reference collection for it?
Patron: (grumbling) Okay, but I don't know why you can't just give me my book...(wanders in the direction of the reading room)
Me: (in my head) Because the Psychic Skills 501 course in library school was full when I tried to register!

I got the impression that the gentleman was slightly...off, but I'm still not sure if he was mentally ill, developmentally disabled, or just really stoned.

If a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, librarians are a global threat.

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4983 on: September 28, 2012, 11:05:15 AM »
...   Or the assumptions some people make that a person who is not physically beautiful automagically must have a shining personality, it's just that superficial people can't get past the physical.  In my experience, people of all levels of beauty can be awesome in the personality department or downright ugly.

That's true, but it is also true that if you know a "pretty" person with a horrid personality, they pretty quickly begin to look a lot less attractive and if you know a relatively homely person with a wonderful personality you tend to think of them, and indeed begin to see them, as quite attractive.

Grandma D, you're right on.

POD. I've always felt that way.   There was a time when my mom met a friend of mine when she picked me up from college. I'd described this friend as very pretty, as I thought that she was. On the way home I said something like "Isn't she pretty?"

"Eh. She's kinda plain.  Does she ever wear makeup or do anything with her hair?" Next time I looked at my friend I just kinda mentally rolled my eyes at my mother as I just couldn't see what she meant by plain.  No, friend didn't wear makeup much, if at all.  She still doesn't but I don't think she really even needs it. Her hair is brown and straight, usually worn shoulder length and if she does anything with it, it's usually to just pull it into a ponytail.  She's shorter than I am and a bit curvier but I don't see the "plain". This friend is very sweet and quiet and a lot of fun on a one on one basis.

My mom is really weird about calling people fat. She'll call people fat who are nowhere near fat--and it's only if they're a pear shape rather than an apple, too. She'll meet a slender but naturally hippy woman and afterward talk about how she was "chubby." It's like funhouse mirrors appear when she looks at women's hips.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #4984 on: September 28, 2012, 11:14:29 AM »
...   Or the assumptions some people make that a person who is not physically beautiful automagically must have a shining personality, it's just that superficial people can't get past the physical.  In my experience, people of all levels of beauty can be awesome in the personality department or downright ugly.

That's true, but it is also true that if you know a "pretty" person with a horrid personality, they pretty quickly begin to look a lot less attractive and if you know a relatively homely person with a wonderful personality you tend to think of them, and indeed begin to see them, as quite attractive.

Grandma D, you're right on.

My mom is really weird about calling people fat. She'll call people fat who are nowhere near fat--and it's only if they're a pear shape rather than an apple, too. She'll meet a slender but naturally hippy woman and afterward talk about how she was "chubby." It's like funhouse mirrors appear when she looks at women's hips.

My mother-in-law is in very poor physical health, and has several chronic conditions. She is by no means fit and is quite overweight. She regularly critiques celebrities on television and tells me they are fat. I just shake my head and ignore her.

Snooks

« Reply #4985 on: September 28, 2012, 01:34:32 PM »

That blows the theory my friends and I had which was that people tend to think that pear shapes are skinnier than they are because being slim on top with a waist fools the eye.  We've had lots of conversations where people are surprised to find out the size someone else wears in trousers (mainly a size or two bigger than you'd think due to trouser manufacturers refusing to make them for women with hips).

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4986 on: September 28, 2012, 01:37:43 PM »

That blows the theory my friends and I had which was that people tend to think that pear shapes are skinnier than they are because being slim on top with a waist fools the eye.  We've had lots of conversations where people are surprised to find out the size someone else wears in trousers (mainly a size or two bigger than you'd think due to trouser manufacturers refusing to make them for women with hips).

Well, this is just her own quirk, I think. I've experienced the opposite perception too. And I'm hippy and I wear a larger size than some friends who weigh the same or more, but carry it in their waist area. Especially when pants waistlines were really low for a couple of years.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4987 on: September 28, 2012, 02:13:41 PM »
My mother-in-law is in very poor physical health, and has several chronic conditions. She is by no means fit and is quite overweight. She regularly critiques celebrities on television and tells me they are fat. I just shake my head and ignore her.

Snipping the quote tree there, but we had a friend who called our middle son chubby once.  Mind you, middle son was around 3, I think, and has a stocky build like Dh does.  He was not chubby at all and according to his charts he was fine, weight proportional to his height and everything. Friend said "Well your doctor just doesn't want to hurt your feelings, cause he's chubby! You need to watch what he eats!" Um, you can't really argue with the growth charts, man.

Not to mention I really wanted to say "You've got a beer gut on you buddy and you're telling me I need to watch what he's eating when you're diabetic and just polished off a wine cooler and half a bag of potato chips??" But I kept EvilPirate quiet. It wasn't easy.  She wanted him to walk the plank. 
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #4988 on: September 28, 2012, 02:49:18 PM »

Snipping the quote tree there, but we had a friend who called our middle son chubby once.  Mind you, middle son was around 3, I think, and has a stocky build like Dh does.  He was not chubby at all and according to his charts he was fine, weight proportional to his height and everything. Friend said "Well your doctor just doesn't want to hurt your feelings, cause he's chubby! You need to watch what he eats!" Um, you can't really argue with the growth charts, man.

Not to mention I really wanted to say "You've got a beer gut on you buddy and you're telling me I need to watch what he's eating when you're diabetic and just polished off a wine cooler and half a bag of potato chips??" But I kept EvilPirate quiet. It wasn't easy.  She wanted him to walk the plank.

Evil!Violin would've "strung" that fool up by his toes.  :P  >:D
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #4989 on: September 28, 2012, 02:50:48 PM »

DS was a very chubby baby, then ran it off when he started walking. We have seen this a few cycles in him, and two years ago, he was overweight for his height. Now that he has stretched out, he is on the thin side and has to eat frequently to maintain his health. MIL makes comments about his weight and we shut her down when we hear about it.

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4990 on: September 28, 2012, 03:03:31 PM »
HorseFreak wrote:

"Annie: Oh, no! I just pour around it. It doesn't get in.
Annie: I just pour it really low. It's fine."

It seems that this person thinks that spilling while filling is the only way for spills to happen.  Explaining that spillage happens during normal operation might fix it.  For eample, if you're talking about filling a copier with toner, there's an agitator in the toner store that stirs it, so without the cap the agitator will cause a spill even if she didn't spill it putting it in.  It might be worth approaching it this way to get her to grasp that the stopper is necessary.

Shea, the thought that came to my mind when your gentleman started asking for "his" book is that it might have been some kind of notebook or day planner, which is why your questions may have confused him.

Virg

AustenFan

« Reply #4991 on: September 28, 2012, 03:07:23 PM »
An interaction with my assistant, Annie, this week:

BG: I discover a machine I use on a regular basis is malfunctioning in a very bad way. I speak to someone a little more knowledgeable about it and we go through the troubleshooting, ruling out all the previous and possible causes. It leaves us with one possibility: incorrect filling of a consumable product that needs replacing every several uses. Annie is the one performing this task and we have this discussion.

Me: When you fill the Machine, do you cap the opening? [The machine comes with a cap that prevents product from spilling out into a Bad Place]
Annie: What? *Has confused look*
Me: *Explains self in three different ways* Product has been passing into Bad Place which could only happen if the opening isn't capped with the attached stopper. Do you always cap it?
Annie: Oh, no! I just pour around it. It doesn't get in.
Annie: I just pour it really low. It's fine.
Me: *Bangs head on wall mentally* Annie, no, you HAVE to cap it from now on. We can't have any possibility of this accidentally happening.
Annie: Well, I'm really careful, but I guess I can do that. *Still seems confused and dreamy*

This is how every conversation goes. I honestly shouldn't have to write and post an SOP for something not much more complicated than filling your car with gas, but that's what I'll be doing at work tomorrow.

And she wonders why I won't let her do anything that requires any skill or attention to detail.

Ugh. Would a funnel help? I would like to think they are foolproof, but your assistant seems like just the person to prove me wrong.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4992 on: September 28, 2012, 03:35:55 PM »

DS was a very chubby baby, then ran it off when he started walking. We have seen this a few cycles in him, and two years ago, he was overweight for his height. Now that he has stretched out, he is on the thin side and has to eat frequently to maintain his health. MIL makes comments about his weight and we shut her down when we hear about it.

Sounds like my eldest.  He was surprised when he learned that the chubby li'l angel in the picture on our mantel was him at 6 months. :)  Now, as my best friend says, he has to run around in the shower to get wet.  He's built just like my brother when he was that age, only Pirateboy1 was never as picky as PirateBrother was.   We used to call my brother Little Running Two Sticks when he was a kid and Pirateboy1 is about the same.  He's just really slight of build.  Regular stringbean.

We've had discussions with the boys cause Pirateboy2 thought he was chubby cause he's not a stringbean like his brother and even though he's a couple inches shorter, he's a couple pounds heavier.   We have to remind him everyone's built differently. 
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
« Reply #4993 on: September 28, 2012, 08:11:38 PM »
I accidentally hurt someone's brain today.

BG: our region has two main industries: oil and agriculture. If you're not involved with one, then you're involved with the other - or both! end/BG

Our company does a lot of work in oil. Staff often have to go out into the field, visiting remote sites with numerous hazards.
Our "working alone" policy is that if someone is on site by themselves, they have to check in, and at the end of the day, they call in to let us know when they are expecting to return.

So, at the end of the day, I called one of our staffers and we had this conversation.

Me: "Hi, I'm just calling with an end-of-day welfare check and wondering when you will be back in."

Him, sounding very puzzled, "Um. I'm fine and sitting on a tractor."  ???

Me: "A tractor?"

Him: "Yes. I said I would be out in the field yesterday and off today."

Me (finally realizing that we've misread his message and that he's helping with harvest) "Oh! So you're out in *the other kind* of field!"  ;D

We both had a good laugh, and he said he appreciated me calling him to check up. :)

Jocelyn

« Reply #4994 on: September 29, 2012, 01:14:10 AM »

Have you tried telling her why? How does she respond?