Author Topic: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt  (Read 1050896 times)

HorseFreak

Re: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt
« Reply #4995 on: September 29, 2012, 10:31:18 AM »

And she wonders why I won't let her do anything that requires any skill or attention to detail.
Have you tried telling her why? How does she respond?

Annie has been quite the saga,  I've posted about her before. Her response to everything is whining about having a degree and how she's above many of the basic job functions that others in the same position do without a peep. She's been coached by several people repeatedly about what she specifically needs to do and it never sinks in. She was supposed to be fired, but the one person who can make it happen can't stand to make her cry (which is her response to any criticism). My workplace is a disaster and I'm very proactive about locating another position.

Jocelyn

« Reply #4996 on: September 29, 2012, 12:25:01 PM »

And she wonders why I won't let her do anything that requires any skill or attention to detail.
Have you tried telling her why? How does she respond?

Annie has been quite the saga,  I've posted about her before. Her response to everything is whining about having a degree and how she's above many of the basic job functions that others in the same position do without a peep. She's been coached by several people repeatedly about what she specifically needs to do and it never sinks in. She was supposed to be fired, but the one person who can make it happen can't stand to make her cry (which is her response to any criticism). My workplace is a disaster and I'm very proactive about locating another position.

Wow. I hope you find a new job soon.

Elisabunny

« Reply #4997 on: September 29, 2012, 02:48:23 PM »
My mother-in-law is in very poor physical health, and has several chronic conditions. She is by no means fit and is quite overweight. She regularly critiques celebrities on television and tells me they are fat. I just shake my head and ignore her.

Snipping the quote tree there, but we had a friend who called our middle son chubby once.  Mind you, middle son was around 3, I think, and has a stocky build like Dh does.  He was not chubby at all and according to his charts he was fine, weight proportional to his height and everything. Friend said "Well your doctor just doesn't want to hurt your feelings, cause he's chubby! You need to watch what he eats!" Um, you can't really argue with the growth charts, man.

Not to mention I really wanted to say "You've got a beer gut on you buddy and you're telling me I need to watch what he's eating when you're diabetic and just polished off a wine cooler and half a bag of potato chips??" But I kept EvilPirate quiet. It wasn't easy.  She wanted him to walk the plank.

DS was a very chubby baby, then ran it off when he started walking. We have seen this a few cycles in him, and two years ago, he was overweight for his height. Now that he has stretched out, he is on the thin side and has to eat frequently to maintain his health. MIL makes comments about his weight and we shut her down when we hear about it.

Sounds like my eldest.  He was surprised when he learned that the chubby li'l angel in the picture on our mantel was him at 6 months. :)  Now, as my best friend says, he has to run around in the shower to get wet.  He's built just like my brother when he was that age, only Pirateboy1 was never as picky as PirateBrother was.   We used to call my brother Little Running Two Sticks when he was a kid and Pirateboy1 is about the same.  He's just really slight of build.  Regular stringbean.

We've had discussions with the boys cause Pirateboy2 thought he was chubby cause he's not a stringbean like his brother and even though he's a couple inches shorter, he's a couple pounds heavier.    We have to remind him everyone's built differently.

I once had some girls from church over at our house for some project.  One of them bemoaned the fact that she was shorter than her sister, but weighed more.  (Both were active and looked to be a healthy weight.)  I said something to the effect of, "Well, yeah, of course.  You two are built totally differently."  Didn't break my brain, but did make me sad.
You must remember this: a ghoti is still a fish...

Pippen

« Reply #4998 on: September 29, 2012, 06:42:55 PM »
For some reason Des keeps nicking off with my little petrol container I use for the lawn mower and I keep in the garage.

Me "Des did you take the petrol container. You know the little one"
Des "Maybe. I can't remember"
Me "Well can you check at your Dads place please because I need to use it"

a few days later he returns it

"Thanks for bringing that back"
"Oh no problem we have loads of them out there"

At which point I just keep quiet but inside my head am going "Well why do you keep taking off with my one then?"

Minmom3

« Reply #4999 on: September 29, 2012, 07:53:39 PM »

DS was a very chubby baby, then ran it off when he started walking. We have seen this a few cycles in him, and two years ago, he was overweight for his height. Now that he has stretched out, he is on the thin side and has to eat frequently to maintain his health. MIL makes comments about his weight and we shut her down when we hear about it.

I always thought children were kind of ameboid in their growth patterns.  They go out when they're getting ready to add some height, then the height arrives and they're skinny(er) for a while.  Then the whole thing repeats.  Out and up and out and up and....
Mother to children and fuzz butts....

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5000 on: September 29, 2012, 08:02:42 PM »

I always thought children were kind of ameboid in their growth patterns.  They go out when they're getting ready to add some height, then the height arrives and they're skinny(er) for a while.  Then the whole thing repeats.  Out and up and out and up and....

That's exactly what my kids did!  They'd get to the point where they were beginning to look a little chubby, but still a little shorter than their same-age friends, and then they'd shoot up a couple of inches and look like a string bean.  Like going from looking like a pin cushion to looking like a pin!  And then back again.  They finally stopped doing that after they entered school.

Milash

« Reply #5001 on: October 02, 2012, 07:07:23 AM »
This made my brain hurt today.

I was on Youtube looking up the national anthem of Germany during WW2 to show my sister and one of the comments made my brain hurt. It was " My  mother was killed in the holocaust a year before I was born :( " .........................Wait, What?  :o :o

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #5002 on: October 02, 2012, 07:19:42 AM »

I was on Youtube looking up the national anthem of Germany during WW2 to show my sister and one of the comments made my brain hurt. It was " My  mother was killed in the holocaust a year before I was born :( " .........................Wait, What?  :o :o

That... but... guh.

JonGirl

• I'm a JonGirl forever.
    • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBAa6CvY-TQ
« Reply #5003 on: October 02, 2012, 08:57:01 AM »

That... but... guh.

My head hurts.
Stewart/Colbert '16

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5004 on: October 02, 2012, 09:02:17 AM »
This weekend we had SIL and her DH (J) as house guests.

Our building is interesting.  It's a mid 19th century factory that was built as a hollow square and now, the central courtyard is a nice, little park. 

J is a sweet and intelligent man who asked a lot of questions about the place and the neighborhood.  So, I was floored when he asked, 'How did they take the middle out of the building?'

Apparently, he thought the building had originally been solid and the place was hollowed out to make the park during renovations. 

Margo

« Reply #5005 on: October 02, 2012, 10:14:56 AM »

That... but... guh.

My head hurts.

I'd assume it was a typo and they meant 'grandmother' but yes, brain-hurty

CakeBeret

« Reply #5006 on: October 02, 2012, 12:38:55 PM »
I had a mild brain-hurt at work today.

I had a customer call in for a widget, mounting brackets, and screws. I quoted them to him, and he said, "Okay, just send me the mounting brackets." I thought it odd that he didn't want the widget as well and said, "You only want the mounting brackets?" He said yes, just the mounting brackets. I asked my boss, "Isn't it odd that he only wants the mounting brackets? Surely he wants the widget as well." Boss said that maybe he was going to mount an old widget; if he said only the brackets, send only the brackets.

Customer called today..."Where is my widget?" I said "Customer, you said you wanted only the mounting brackets."

"But I wanted the widget too!"

::)
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."

P-p-p-penguin

• Crazy... but that's how it goes
« Reply #5007 on: October 02, 2012, 01:39:38 PM »

That... but... guh.

My head hurts.

I'd assume it was a typo and they meant 'grandmother' but yes, brain-hurty

My first thought was, "Troll in the dungeon! Thought you ought to know."  Maybe I'm naive but I refuse to believe someone could be that stupid.

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5008 on: October 02, 2012, 02:12:56 PM »
Margo wrote:

"I'd assume it was a typo and they meant 'grandmother' but yes, brain-hurty"

I thought the same but the typo I assumed was thinking "after" and typing "before".

Virg

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5009 on: October 02, 2012, 07:03:50 PM »
I thought "Well maybe it was an adoptive mother? But then that still doesn't make sense.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata