Author Topic: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt  (Read 1069442 times)

rose red

• Super Hero!
Re: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt
« Reply #5010 on: October 02, 2012, 07:23:57 PM »
I had a mild brain-hurt at work today.

I had a customer call in for a widget, mounting brackets, and screws. I quoted them to him, and he said, "Okay, just send me the mounting brackets." I thought it odd that he didn't want the widget as well and said, "You only want the mounting brackets?" He said yes, just the mounting brackets. I asked my boss, "Isn't it odd that he only wants the mounting brackets? Surely he wants the widget as well." Boss said that maybe he was going to mount an old widget; if he said only the brackets, send only the brackets.

Customer called today..."Where is my widget?" I said "Customer, you said you wanted only the mounting brackets."

"But I wanted the widget too!"

::)

Maybe he's hoping you'll think "Surely he needs the widgets too.  I'll just throw them in just in case."  And since he didn't ask for widgets, of course you wouldn't charge him.

Or am I giving him too much credit and he simply thought you can read minds?

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5011 on: October 02, 2012, 09:28:14 PM »

I had a customer call in for a widget, mounting brackets, and screws. I quoted them to him, and he said, "Okay, just send me the mounting brackets." I thought it odd that he didn't want the widget as well and said, "You only want the mounting brackets?" He said yes, just the mounting brackets. I asked my boss, "Isn't it odd that he only wants the mounting brackets? Surely he wants the widget as well." Boss said that maybe he was going to mount an old widget; if he said only the brackets, send only the brackets.

Customer called today..."Where is my widget?" I said "Customer, you said you wanted only the mounting brackets."

Maybe he's hoping you'll think "Surely he needs the widgets too.  I'll just throw them in just in case."  And since he didn't ask for widgets, of course you wouldn't charge him.

I think probably what he was thinking was "Well, she said 'brackets and screws'.  I have a whole box of assorted screws so I don't need those.  Just the brackets."

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5012 on: October 02, 2012, 09:41:20 PM »

I think probably what he was thinking was "Well, she said 'brackets and screws'.  I have a whole box of assorted screws so I don't need those.  Just the brackets."

You are so kind. I'm just thinking, "Fill out the order online, please. We will take it from there." And as a not-mentioned comment, "So if it gets messed up, we'll have proof!"

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #5013 on: October 03, 2012, 07:35:11 PM »
I made my DH's head hurt the other day.  He rarely goes shopping with me...maybe once a year.  A few days ago I needed a specific style shoe.  He was helping me look and he spotted a pair he thought I might like and I spotted a pair that was exactly what I was looking for.  The store was having a buy one get one half off promotions, so I bought both pairs. I realized the pair he picked were nearly identical to another pair I have, but it was a really good deal on a shoe that I know I love to wear and my other pair is on it's last leg.

When we got home he noticed they were the same shoe.

DH:  Hon, I'm sorry, but I picked out a pair of shoes you already have.  Do you want to go exchange them?
Me:  I knew they were the same.

DH: Then why did you get them?
Me: Because they are one of my favorite pairs of shoes and my old pair aren't going to make it through Christmas.

DH:  They look fine.
Me: They are my shoes. Trust me.  I'm hard on them and if they make it two more months without something breaking, it will by a small miracle.

DH: But they're the same shoes!
Me:  I know that.  I like them.  I'm keeping them.

DH:  <muttering>  but they're the same... <repeatedly shaking head and remuttering>

Every girl I know got it.  Is it that difficult for a man to wrap his head around? 

I admit freely to being a shoe hound.  I love shoes.   ;)
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Jones

« Reply #5014 on: October 03, 2012, 08:11:16 PM »
My husband buys 3-4 pairs of the same shoe at a time. Why? Well, he knows he likes the shoe, he has access to the right size on sale right now, and he knows he'll use them up and wear them out.

I think it's just your DH.  :) He'll get it when you throw the first pair out and pull on the new ones.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #5015 on: October 03, 2012, 09:21:47 PM »
I made my DH's head hurt the other day.  He rarely goes shopping with me...maybe once a year.  A few days ago I needed a specific style shoe.  He was helping me look and he spotted a pair he thought I might like and I spotted a pair that was exactly what I was looking for.  The store was having a buy one get one half off promotions, so I bought both pairs. I realized the pair he picked were nearly identical to another pair I have, but it was a really good deal on a shoe that I know I love to wear and my other pair is on it's last leg.

DH:  Hon, I'm sorry, but I picked out a pair of shoes you already have.  Do you want to go exchange them?

Me: Because they are one of my favorite pairs of shoes and my old pair aren't going to make it through Christmas.

Me: They are my shoes. Trust me.  I'm hard on them and if they make it two more months without something breaking, it will by a small miracle.

DH:  <muttering>  but they're the same... <repeatedly shaking head and remuttering>

Every girl I know got it.  Is it that difficult for a man to wrap his head around? 

I would really make his head hurt. I find a shirt or pair of pants that fit and are comfortable I buy 1 of every color.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

BB-VA

« Reply #5016 on: October 03, 2012, 09:29:38 PM »
My husband buys 3-4 pairs of the same shoe at a time. Why? Well, he knows he likes the shoe, he has access to the right size on sale right now, and he knows he'll use them up and wear them out.

I think it's just your DH.  :) He'll get it when you throw the first pair out and pull on the new ones.

Definitely.  My husband is hard to fit, so when we find a pair of shoes he can wear, we buy it.   He has a stockpile of identical pairs of shoes.  For some reason, if we go shopping for shoes for him we can't find any, but when we are just wandering through the shoe department, several pairs will appear. 

Also, he waits till his clothes are practically falling off before he buys anything, so he buys multiples of everything when he does go shopping.  It saves trouble later, he says.
"The Universe puts us in places where we can learn. They are never easy places, but they are right. Wherever we are, it's the right place and the right time. Pain that sometimes comes is part of the process of constantly being born."
- Delenn to Sheridan: "Babylon 5 - Distant Star"

Ceallach

• This Is It
« Reply #5017 on: October 03, 2012, 09:48:54 PM »

I would really make his head hurt. I find a shirt or pair of pants that fit and are comfortable I buy 1 of every color.

Me too!  If I find a top I like, then I want enough to last me a loooong time.    Sometimes I buy 2-3 of a particular colour if I really like it.     And with shoes I definitely have duplicates of my favourites.

Otherwise I have this terrible tendency not to wear an item because I love it so much I don't want it to wear out.... yes I really am that crazy.   In fact, I bought 2 identical pairs of a shoe I adored a few years back, and wore them both to death.   1 pair I had to bin, but the other I still gaze at longingly despite the fact the straps have worn through and I really can't wear them.  If I were rich I'd take it somewhere to get duplicated!  (No more available anywhere, I've checked online, it's an old model).   I wish I'd bought 4 pairs.   
"Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something"

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #5018 on: October 03, 2012, 11:00:07 PM »

Me too!  If I find a top I like, then I want enough to last me a loooong time.    Sometimes I buy 2-3 of a particular colour if I really like it.     And with shoes I definitely have duplicates of my favourites.

Otherwise I have this terrible tendency not to wear an item because I love it so much I don't want it to wear out.... yes I really am that crazy.   In fact, I bought 2 identical pairs of a shoe I adored a few years back, and wore them both to death.   1 pair I had to bin, but the other I still gaze at longingly despite the fact the straps have worn through and I really can't wear them.  If I were rich I'd take it somewhere to get duplicated!  (No more available anywhere, I've checked online, it's an old model).   I wish I'd bought 4 pairs.   

Take them to a cobbler to see if they can be fixed...

Black Delphinium

• The Black Flower
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #5019 on: October 04, 2012, 09:44:41 AM »
Saw a brain hurt on The Daily Show last night. It was a clip of a commentator saying something to the effect of "That hasn't been reported on before, I reported on it the first time so I should know".
When angels go bad, they go worse than anyone. Remember, Lucifer was an angel. ~The Marquis De Carabas

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5020 on: October 04, 2012, 01:13:05 PM »

...   Otherwise I have this terrible tendency not to wear an item because I love it so much I don't want it to wear out.... yes I really am that crazy.  ...

Be assured you're not alone in your 'craziness'.  I do the same thing.  I sometimes buy something I love soooo much that I'm afraid to wear it because I might get a stain on it, or damage it in some other way, or yes -- wear it out.  Some of my most favorite clothes are my least seldom worn!   :-\

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #5021 on: October 04, 2012, 01:19:39 PM »

...   Otherwise I have this terrible tendency not to wear an item because I love it so much I don't want it to wear out.... yes I really am that crazy.  ...

Be assured you're not alone in your 'craziness'.  I do the same thing.  I sometimes buy something I love soooo much that I'm afraid to wear it because I might get a stain on it, or damage it in some other way, or yes -- wear it out.  Some of my most favorite clothes are my least seldom worn!   :-\

Yip. I bought a pair of high tops from Those Shoes a few years ago (after agonizing over them for a good couple of years) and i wear them maybe 3-4 times a year, after checking the weather to make sure there isn't the slightest chance of rain. They're really well made and super comfy ... but what if a raindrop fell on them? The horror!
So glad i am not alone in this. I feel a little less silly now.
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

Tea Drinker

• Now part of Team Land Crab
« Reply #5022 on: October 04, 2012, 01:57:32 PM »
This one makes sense to me--all else aside, shoe salespeople keep telling me it's better for the shoes (or my feet?) not to wear the same pair of shoes every day. So if you find something you like, get two or three the same, and you can wear that style every day while giving each pair of shoes a rest.

Of course, my style of clothing shopping is to try to minimize effort. So i went shopping recently, found a style of pants I liked, and bought two, in different colors. After they'd been through the wash and still fit properly, I bought two more (in a third color). That took a lot less trouble than finding something different would have.

There's nothing wrong with shopping recreationally, if it works for you: but there are few situations in which anyone is going to care, or even notice, that your dark blue, red, and khaki pants are all the same style.
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #5023 on: October 04, 2012, 03:12:31 PM »
Conversations with a four-year-old

Her: "Do you know where my blanket is?"
Me: "It's on the sofa."
Her: "Why did you know it's on the sofa?"
Me: "Because I saw you put it there."
Her: "Why did I put it there?"
Me: "I don't know."
Her: "Why do you not know?"
Me: "Because I'm not you."
Her: "Why are you not me?"
Me: " . . . Oh look, it's naptime."

Coley

« Reply #5024 on: October 04, 2012, 03:18:44 PM »
I mentioned in another thread that I have students who routinely misuse words. "Detrimental" as a synonym for "important" or "necessary" is a frequent flyer. Today, I have a new one.

A student submitted an assignment containing the following line: "I think this is imperative right at the gecko ..."

Gecko? She means "get-go." At least she didn't say it was "detrimental at the gecko."