Author Topic: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt  (Read 1019462 times)

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
Re: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt
« Reply #5025 on: October 04, 2012, 03:26:11 PM »
Leapin' lizards!

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #5026 on: October 04, 2012, 03:32:24 PM »
Conversations with a four-year-old

Her: "Do you know where my blanket is?"
Me: "It's on the sofa."
Her: "Why did you know it's on the sofa?"
Me: "Because I saw you put it there."
Her: "Why did I put it there?"
Me: "I don't know."
Her: "Why do you not know?"
Me: "Because I'm not you."
Her: "Why are you not me?"
Me: " . . . Oh look, it's naptime."

I bet " . . . Oh look, it's naptime" could solve many a problem the world over.
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5027 on: October 04, 2012, 03:36:41 PM »
This one makes sense to me--all else aside, shoe salespeople keep telling me it's better for the shoes (or my feet?) not to wear the same pair of shoes every day. So if you find something you like, get two or three the same, and you can wear that style every day while giving each pair of shoes a rest.

Of course, my style of clothing shopping is to try to minimize effort. So i went shopping recently, found a style of pants I liked, and bought two, in different colors. After they'd been through the wash and still fit properly, I bought two more (in a third color). That took a lot less trouble than finding something different would have.

There's nothing wrong with shopping recreationally, if it works for you: but there are few situations in which anyone is going to care, or even notice, that your dark blue, red, and khaki pants are all the same style.

I'm the same way, especially with shirt styles. I have weird body proportions and am picky about the way I want things to fit, so when I find a shirt where I love the cut and feel like a million bucks in it, I want a green one and a red one and a purple one and a brown one and a black one and and and...

I think my actual record was having three (and possibly four) copies of the same peasant blouse: green, brown, fuchsia, and I'm pretty sure I had a fourth but can't remember what color it was.

Hillia

« Reply #5028 on: October 04, 2012, 03:55:44 PM »

I'm going to start using it at  work.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Pippen

« Reply #5029 on: October 04, 2012, 04:08:23 PM »

I'm going to start using it at  work.

I had a crazy boss and just as she was about to start on one of her tantrums I would tell her it was time for her nap.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #5030 on: October 04, 2012, 04:53:13 PM »
I mentioned in another thread that I have students who routinely misuse words. "Detrimental" as a synonym for "important" or "necessary" is a frequent flyer. Today, I have a new one.

A student submitted an assignment containing the following line: "I think this is imperative right at the gecko ..."

Gecko? She means "get-go." At least she didn't say it was "detrimental at the gecko."

"Walla" instead of "voilą" is my hot button. Drives me right up a tree.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #5031 on: October 04, 2012, 04:56:39 PM »
I mentioned in another thread that I have students who routinely misuse words. "Detrimental" as a synonym for "important" or "necessary" is a frequent flyer. Today, I have a new one.

A student submitted an assignment containing the following line: "I think this is imperative right at the gecko ..."

Gecko? She means "get-go." At least she didn't say it was "detrimental at the gecko."

Walla, persay, say la vee...  Can we just agree that the romance languages are getting butchered?

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #5032 on: October 04, 2012, 05:13:08 PM »
This one makes sense to me--all else aside, shoe salespeople keep telling me it's better for the shoes (or my feet?) not to wear the same pair of shoes every day. So if you find something you like, get two or three the same, and you can wear that style every day while giving each pair of shoes a rest.

Of course, my style of clothing shopping is to try to minimize effort. So i went shopping recently, found a style of pants I liked, and bought two, in different colors. After they'd been through the wash and still fit properly, I bought two more (in a third color). That took a lot less trouble than finding something different would have.

There's nothing wrong with shopping recreationally, if it works for you: but there are few situations in which anyone is going to care, or even notice, that your dark blue, red, and khaki pants are all the same style.

That's good, because half my wardrobe is the same style as the other half.  I've got five satin big shirts in different colors but all the same pattern, and all of my dress slacks except for one pair were all bought at the same store.  A plain black satin long-sleeved shirt with a pair of black dress pants can be dressed up or down in so many ways.  I've worn mine with different scarves and jewelry.

BB-VA

« Reply #5033 on: October 04, 2012, 05:49:31 PM »

Walla, persay, say la vee...  Can we just agree that the romance languages are getting butchered?

Like these?

http://kimonostownhouse.com/comic/index.php?date=2009-01-07
"The Universe puts us in places where we can learn. They are never easy places, but they are right. Wherever we are, it's the right place and the right time. Pain that sometimes comes is part of the process of constantly being born."
- Delenn to Sheridan: "Babylon 5 - Distant Star"

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5034 on: October 05, 2012, 10:53:55 AM »
Not quite an exchange but something I heard on the TV this morning. 

Thhe local weatherman was listing Columbus Day celebrations. he mentioned that there would be replicas of the three ships.  He called then the Nina, the PINEDA, and the Santa Maria.  :o 

Hillia

« Reply #5035 on: October 05, 2012, 11:09:16 AM »
Not quite an exchange but something I heard on the TV this morning. 

Thhe local weatherman was listing Columbus Day celebrations. he mentioned that there would be replicas of the three ships.  He called then the Nina, the PINEDA, and the Santa Maria.  :o

At least it wasn't the Pinata...which I've heard.

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #5036 on: October 05, 2012, 12:51:31 PM »

...   Otherwise I have this terrible tendency not to wear an item because I love it so much I don't want it to wear out.... yes I really am that crazy.  ...

Be assured you're not alone in your 'craziness'.  I do the same thing.  I sometimes buy something I love soooo much that I'm afraid to wear it because I might get a stain on it, or damage it in some other way, or yes -- wear it out.  Some of my most favorite clothes are my least seldom worn!   :-\

I do the same.

I love people who are well dressed ad well put together. I, however, tend to look pretty shabby and just grab the same jeans and tshirt out of the closet. So I decided to do a huge purge in my closet, create a kind of capsule wardrobe, where everything looks good with everything else, and only leave only things I wear and love.

This morning, I was getting dressed to do some errands (bank, grocery, that kind of thing). I reach into my beautifully organized closet and pull out a nice grey pair of pants, a burgundy knitted top and matching burgundy flats. Nice, chic and easy to wear, right? So, I put them back in, thinking they are too nice to wear. Yes, that does defeat the purpose. (note - I wore the nice outfit)

Hillia

« Reply #5037 on: October 05, 2012, 01:14:33 PM »

...   Otherwise I have this terrible tendency not to wear an item because I love it so much I don't want it to wear out.... yes I really am that crazy.  ...

Be assured you're not alone in your 'craziness'.  I do the same thing.  I sometimes buy something I love soooo much that I'm afraid to wear it because I might get a stain on it, or damage it in some other way, or yes -- wear it out.  Some of my most favorite clothes are my least seldom worn!   :-\

I do the same.

I love people who are well dressed ad well put together. I, however, tend to look pretty shabby and just grab the same jeans and tshirt out of the closet. So I decided to do a huge purge in my closet, create a kind of capsule wardrobe, where everything looks good with everything else, and only leave only things I wear and love.

This morning, I was getting dressed to do some errands (bank, grocery, that kind of thing). I reach into my beautifully organized closet and pull out a nice grey pair of pants, a burgundy knitted top and matching burgundy flats. Nice, chic and easy to wear, right? So, I put them back in, thinking they are too nice to wear. Yes, that does defeat the purpose. (note - I wore the nice outfit)

I still have my mom's voice in my head saying, 'Save your nice clothes!'.  So I really have to force myself to put on 'nice' clothes (anything other than sweats/yoga pants and a horrible baggy Tshirt).  I have tried getting rid of all my junky clothes - but you do need some old clothes for doing chores, etc., so I end up right back where I started.  If I'm going grocery shopping, picking up dinner, taking the library books back...in my head these are 'it doesn't matter' occasions and I dress for legal coverage, not to look nice.  I envy people who always look nice and put together even on these little errand running trips, but I just don't seem to get there for myself.

lady_disdain:I love your idea of a 'core' wardrobe. 

lowspark

« Reply #5038 on: October 05, 2012, 03:09:15 PM »
I admit I wear whatever t-shirt & jeans to the grocery store & such, but I usually do try to wear nice clothes whenever going out, even if it's just for something like a casual dinner out. It's kind of fun to dress in nice clothes and feel good about your appearance even when not necessarily required. When I say nice clothes, I don't mean totally dressing up, just what I consider to be well put together.

Hillia's comment about people who always look nice and put together even on these little errand running trips reminded me of someone I knew years ago who once commented that she wouldn't even go to the mailbox (at the curb of her house) without make up on! For some reason that comment stuck in my mind. Disclaimer: I don't wear makeup (yeah, I know, I'm crazy-weirdo but there it is!)

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #5039 on: October 05, 2012, 04:08:48 PM »
My mother had a friend who claimed her own husband had never seen her without makeup. She would get up before him, in the dark, and feel her way to the washroom to put on her face for the day.

Not sure how she handled taking it off at night. Waited until he fell asleep?
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."