Author Topic: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt  (Read 1053287 times)

Jones

Re: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt
« Reply #5550 on: November 06, 2012, 01:34:25 PM »
^^ Gets a cup of coffee.

Popping open a holiday tin of popcorn.

Shalamar

« Reply #5551 on: November 06, 2012, 02:04:29 PM »
Well, since you asked .... :)

Jim is very overweight, which I mention only because it's pertinent to the story.  He's tried pretty much every diet known to man, but he never stays on them for long - he'll lose some weight on the plan, get cocky, think that he can manage alone, quit - and then put all the weight back on.

A while back I lost some weight myself - all I did was cut down a bit on snacks and start walking every day.   Jim was impressed by my achievement and asked me what plan I'd followed. 

Me:  No plan - I just stopped eating as much junk food and added a long walk every day.
Jim:  No, really - you can tell me.
Me:  I just did.
Jim:  C'mon, what was it?  Weight Watchers?  Jenny Craig?
Me:  None of those - I did what I told you.
Jim *getting angry*:  Look, it's impossible to lose weight that way!
Me:  But ... I DID!
Jim *stomping away*:  Fine.  If you don't want to tell me, don't tell me.

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
  • ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
« Reply #5552 on: November 06, 2012, 02:11:38 PM »
It is called "Eat Less, Move More."

perhaps with a "name" he will believe it!
Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.

LB

« Reply #5553 on: November 06, 2012, 02:22:26 PM »
When people don't listen to their messages, wouldn't it be more efficient to say to them, in a friendly tone, "Well, I'll let you go so you can check the message on your voice mail. Call us back when you get the info from it that you need." <click> ?

My employer won't allow it. According to him "It does not feel like we're serving clients that way."

Before that, I had actually tried your method. The response I usually got was: *Sigh* "Can't you just tell me? I don't have time for this."

Other times I've been yelled at for "calling them stupid." One person even filed a complaint against me. Which is what led to my employer saying not to do it.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #5554 on: November 06, 2012, 03:27:24 PM »
When people don't listen to their messages, wouldn't it be more efficient to say to them, in a friendly tone, "Well, I'll let you go so you can check the message on your voice mail. Call us back when you get the info from it that you need." <click> ?

My employer won't allow it. According to him "It does not feel like we're serving clients that way."

Before that, I had actually tried your method. The response I usually got was: *Sigh* "Can't you just tell me? I don't have time for this."

Other times I've been yelled at for "calling them stupid." One person even filed a complaint against me. Which is what led to my employer saying not to do it.

Ladies and gentlemen... an employer that despises efficiency.  :)

gingerzing

« Reply #5555 on: November 06, 2012, 04:19:57 PM »

Then send the callers to your employer?   ;D  <Shoves EvilGinger back into box>

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #5556 on: November 06, 2012, 05:22:41 PM »

Then send the callers to your employer?   ;D  <Shoves EvilGinger back into box>

After I typed up a list of approved hospital abbreviations I started getting calls from section chiefs demanding to know why I picked another department's abbreviation when I should have picked theirs, et that type of cetera.  After a few complaints on this matter at I started referring the complainers to Colonel Painintheneck the project officer, the one who had actually made the decisions as to which abbreviation to use.  The number of similar calls dropped off dramatically after that. 

I found out later that Colonel P had told my boss to tell me to stop sending such calls to him, but my boss refused, as she didn't think it was fair that I was being yelled at because of him.  (This particular boss was great to work for.)       

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
« Reply #5557 on: November 06, 2012, 08:31:33 PM »
Our technical staff sources material for projects.
It's a complicated process involving bids, approvals and lots of paperwork.

My job is to contact the vendors and make sure they get all the information and approvals they need to build the Widgets.

I sent out all the paperwork per the procedure and let coworker Kam know.

Me-"I sent out all the Blue documents to the vendors. The file is now up to date."

Kam-"Uh...yeah. I didn't know that you were actually going to send out the Blue documents."

Me-"Well, that's the procedure, and I did tell you that I was doing it that way."

Kam-"Well, we're not supposed to send out the Blue documents."

I am now very confused because there were multiple meetings about how to handle the Blue documents.

Kam-"Yeah I've known that for a year. "
 :o :o :o :o

I like Kam, he's a good guy, but he tends to forget to mention details. ::)

Jocelyn

« Reply #5558 on: November 06, 2012, 08:38:09 PM »

So basically she's saying that the one, tiny sentence per day made him more recognisable to the baby than the voice of the person he literally lived inside of 24/7 for several months????   I just can't comprehend how that would make sense to anybody.  I guess you could argue proximity, e.g. the mother's voice is further away whereas the Dad was leaning in closer... but nope, I still can't see any way that makes sense. 
Babies can be attracted to certain voices/vocal ranges. My father is magic with babies- they will instantly stop crying and watch his face with as much fascination as they are capable (depending upon their age). He doesn't coochy-coo, he just talks seriously to them. So perhaps that papa also has a voice that's incredibly attractive to his infant, whereas the mother's voice just turned into background noise?  :D

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #5559 on: November 06, 2012, 09:14:02 PM »
Maybe it's like Colin Firth's.  Or the guy who plays Matthew on Downton Abbey.  :)

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #5560 on: November 06, 2012, 10:36:50 PM »
Or maybe Liam Neeson.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Ceallach

• This Is It
« Reply #5561 on: November 06, 2012, 11:16:33 PM »

So basically she's saying that the one, tiny sentence per day made him more recognisable to the baby than the voice of the person he literally lived inside of 24/7 for several months????   I just can't comprehend how that would make sense to anybody.  I guess you could argue proximity, e.g. the mother's voice is further away whereas the Dad was leaning in closer... but nope, I still can't see any way that makes sense. 
Babies can be attracted to certain voices/vocal ranges. My father is magic with babies- they will instantly stop crying and watch his face with as much fascination as they are capable (depending upon their age). He doesn't coochy-coo, he just talks seriously to them. So perhaps that papa also has a voice that's incredibly attractive to his infant, whereas the mother's voice just turned into background noise?  :D

Also good theories!

Except I didn't include the *other* brain hurty part of the whole conversation - namely the fact that my mother was not in fact present when my nephew was born.     ;D     This is really typical of her.  I'm guessing somebody made some comment about how alert my nephew was (he was one of those babies with his eyes open looking around right away) and said something like "He turned his head when he head his Dad speak!", and from there my mother has developed this lengthy story about nephews reaction to his parent's voices, and a wacky theory to go along with it.   Sadly, this type of thing is typical for my mother!!  Boy is she great at weaving a tale... she never lets the truth get in the way of a good story. (Not a liar, but exaggerates everything to make it sound more interesting).  The logic of this one hurt my brain though. Even if true it wouldn't make sense.

Re the attractive voice, my BIL isn't the most, um, manly of men.   I don't know how to describe him without sounding mean to be honest, he's a nice enough guy, but he definitely doesn't have an attractive voice, or face, or particularly attractive personality!  (Ok, so that did sound mean, oops).   
"Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something"

LadyJaneinMD

« Reply #5562 on: November 07, 2012, 08:41:15 AM »
With all honestly, I have a strong feeling I'll DIIIEEE!!! anyway, and I still won't have much choice in the matter. I'll gamble  on this one. Thank you for your concern.

People keep sending me the scarey stories about how dangerous artificial sweeteners are.  All of them.  But to tell the honest truth, I've been using them since the 60s, and haven't died yet.  My mother was one of those on a perpetual diet, so she got me using the little white 'pills' in my tea when I was just a child.   I guess I'm just one of the lucky ones who don't have side effects.  I'm already too old to die early.   ;D

Seraphia

• Unabashed cat person
« Reply #5563 on: November 07, 2012, 08:57:54 AM »

My husband works with a guy whose nickname is 'Baby Whisperer.' Whenever there's a potluck or work function that someone brings a kidlet to, BW winds up holding him/her at some point. The baby promptly does one of two things - goes wide-eyed and starts trying to play with BW's beard, or falls completely to sleep. It's hilarious, and pretty sweet too. He's almost always found with a drooling baby asleep on his shoulder while arguing football.

What hurts my brain is people saying: "Ohh, Mr. Seraphia! Don't let Seraphia hold the baby or she'll start wanting one!" Funny, I didn't think pregnancy was contagious.
Ancora Imparo - I am still learning

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5564 on: November 07, 2012, 09:26:24 AM »
With all honestly, I have a strong feeling I'll DIIIEEE!!! anyway, and I still won't have much choice in the matter. I'll gamble  on this one. Thank you for your concern.

People keep sending me the scarey stories about how dangerous artificial sweeteners are.  All of them.  But to tell the honest truth, I've been using them since the 60s, and haven't died yet.  My mother was one of those on a perpetual diet, so she got me using the little white 'pills' in my tea when I was just a child.   I guess I'm just one of the lucky ones who don't have side effects.  I'm already too old to die early.   ;D

OK. Thanks for making me laugh!

I drank Tab when it first came out, so I guess I've been using it as long as you have.

I have a friend in high school who said she wanted to die young and leave a beautiful corpse. She is still with us, by the way. I never got beautiful, so that's my reason for sticking around, with or without artificial sweeteners and high fructose corn sugar. And the amount of insecticides I have ingested must be staggering!