Author Topic: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt  (Read 1038176 times)

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
Re: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt
« Reply #5610 on: November 09, 2012, 02:25:52 PM »
My guess is that she thought that once you had the soup and the scallop, you wouldn't be hungry enough to eat two servings of maki also.  (nevermind that you might take it home, etc) So to be 'helpful' and to cut waste, she simply didn't make it for you.  That's the logic I'm operating on anyway... I've heard people complain about this before, so that may be what happened here.

I wonder if she went to that place that made the news a year or two ago because the owner was a control freak and posted that whole list of rules about how much food to order and how to eat it!

What?!?!?!?  I did not hear about that and must have more details!

I thought there was an ehell thread about it, but I can't find it. Here's the news story.

http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/restaurants-and-bars/surry-hills-restaurateur-with-notorious-rules-lashes-sydneys-greedy-diners-as-she-announces-closure-with-online-rant-20120705-21icb.html

::does that head tilty thing::  So you need to eat all your food but by eating all your food and being happy about it, you're a greedy glutton and are wasteful by eating all your food.

oooooohhhh  kaaaaaayyyyy

The only mitigating factor I can think of is that people knew what they were getting into--you couldn't even eat there till you took a course in sushi etiquette from her, IIRC. Just bonkers!

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #5611 on: November 09, 2012, 06:16:21 PM »
My guess is that she thought that once you had the soup and the scallop, you wouldn't be hungry enough to eat two servings of maki also.  (nevermind that you might take it home, etc) So to be 'helpful' and to cut waste, she simply didn't make it for you.  That's the logic I'm operating on anyway... I've heard people complain about this before, so that may be what happened here.

I wonder if she went to that place that made the news a year or two ago because the owner was a control freak and posted that whole list of rules about how much food to order and how to eat it!

What?!?!?!?  I did not hear about that and must have more details!

I thought there was an ehell thread about it, but I can't find it. Here's the news story.

http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/restaurants-and-bars/surry-hills-restaurateur-with-notorious-rules-lashes-sydneys-greedy-diners-as-she-announces-closure-with-online-rant-20120705-21icb.html

::does that head tilty thing::  So you need to eat all your food but by eating all your food and being happy about it, you're a greedy glutton and are wasteful by eating all your food.

oooooohhhh  kaaaaaayyyyy

The only mitigating factor I can think of is that people knew what they were getting into--you couldn't even eat there till you took a course in sushi etiquette from her, IIRC. Just bonkers!

That's not sushi etiquette - that's special snowflake etiquette!
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

PeterM

« Reply #5612 on: November 09, 2012, 06:56:07 PM »
He still doesn't understand why this hurts my brain...

When I started work over three weeks ago, I decided that I would sometimes take lunch to work with me.  I found Mental Boyfriend's old lunchbox atop the fridge and took that to work with me two days in a row. 

My question is, if keeping the lunchboxes together is so important to this lunatic you choose to date, why exactly was the lunchbox you used on top of the fridge rather than with the other lunchbox in the first place?

Jocelyn

« Reply #5613 on: November 09, 2012, 07:22:12 PM »
She needs to get a reason and not let it go. There could be a medical reason that they didn't complete the operation. When my mother had her ovarian cancer surgery that also included a total hysterectomy, the doctor stated up front that she wasn't sure until she got in there to see everything clearly whether or not she would be able to remove anything. 
That's strange: when I had my hysterectomy for cancer this summer, I was told that the surgeon might have to change the TYPE of surgery he would do based on conditions that weren't predictable, but that I was gettin' spayed that day for sure. :D I can see saying that the doctor wouldn't know if she could remove everything via laproscopic techniques, or perform a vag-hys, but I can't imagine starting surgery and concluding that you couldn't remove the tumor after all.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #5614 on: November 09, 2012, 08:10:57 PM »
A couple of exchanges of the the past few years that have made me wonder about other teachers

AD means After Death not Anno Domini

A full moon is physically larger than a new moon. Because it is larger it has a larger gravitational pull. This makes the kids go crazy because they are 80% water and the moon is pulling on their brains. (Any time someone starts the kids are crazy because of the moon stuff - coach now just pulls me out of the room afraid my head will explode)

Thomas Jefferson wrote the US. Constitution 

All the presidents up to and including FDR were of perfect virtue and sterling reputations.  They didn't like the various scandals I recounted. Other's were amazed I did it from memory.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Minmom3

« Reply #5615 on: November 09, 2012, 08:36:43 PM »
What hurts my brain is people saying: "Ohh, Mr. Seraphia! Don't let Seraphia hold the baby or she'll start wanting one!" Funny, I didn't think pregnancy was contagious.

I will admit, I am susceptible to pregnancy contagion. :) DH and I are pretty firm that we're not going to have another baby. And yet anytime I hold a teeny tiny baby my mind starts whispering things about having a baby. Until the baby cries, or has a diaper blowout, or the mom tells me that she's gotten twelve hours' sleep in the last four days, and then I recall how much I really do not want another baby. 8)
We call that 'baby borrowing'!  "Got that baby Jones?  Hold somebody else's baby for a while, then give it back!"  It's a two-fer bonus - you get to snuggle with a baby for a while, and then you get to hand it back again. (Being an Auntie is great!!!)   ;D
Mother to children and fuzz butts....

Jones

« Reply #5616 on: November 09, 2012, 08:56:37 PM »

When I started work over three weeks ago, I decided that I would sometimes take lunch to work with me.  I found Mental Boyfriend's old lunchbox atop the fridge and took that to work with me two days in a row. 

My question is, if keeping the lunchboxes together is so important to this lunatic you choose to date, why exactly was the lunchbox you used on top of the fridge rather than with the other lunchbox in the first place?
The one must have wandered off on an adventure, leaving its mate to bemoan its lonely state. When the BF found the wandering rascal he quickly returned said prodigal to its rightful place at the other's side, thereby ending what was sure to be a tragic divorce.

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #5617 on: November 09, 2012, 09:48:54 PM »

The one must have wandered off on an adventure, leaving its mate to bemoan its lonely state. When the BF found the wandering rascal he quickly returned said prodigal to its rightful place at the other's side, thereby ending what was sure to be a tragic divorce.

My question exactly, PeterM...though I like Jones' story much better than the original!!!...which is, I don't think he knew I got it off the top of the fridge, though he's the one that put it there, because it is his lunchbox (the one in the closet belongs to Mental Mom...and isn't actually a lunchbox.  It is a tackle box, but Mental Boyfriend doesn't know that, so I didn't tell him otherwise...).  He very likely forgot he put it there when we moved here.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Jones

« Reply #5618 on: November 09, 2012, 10:04:16 PM »
...could you tell I just got done with a word sprint?  >:D

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #5619 on: November 09, 2012, 10:37:34 PM »
Trimmed quote tree...

oooooohhhh  kaaaaaayyyyy

That's not sushi etiquette - that's special snowflake etiquette!

I feel like at that point it's less of a meal and more of a modern/performance art piece, with the food as the focal point and the customers as players.

Though I wonder if this also counts as Professional Darwinism since the restaurant is closing.

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #5620 on: November 09, 2012, 10:59:29 PM »
...could you tell I just got done with a word sprint?  >:D

Haha!  You're getting the creative juices flowing!
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

BarensMom

« Reply #5621 on: November 10, 2012, 11:19:20 AM »
(snip)

All the presidents up to and including FDR were of perfect virtue and sterling reputations.  They didn't like the various scandals I recounted. Other's were amazed I did it from memory.

What did that teacher say when you told him/her that Jefferson wasn't even in America when it was written?

And...did the teacher forget Warren G. Harding and Teapot Dome?

Acadianna

• Remember -- no matter where you go, there you are.
    • My Dragons
« Reply #5622 on: November 10, 2012, 11:49:15 AM »
A couple of exchanges of the the past few years that have made me wonder about other teachers

AD means After Death not Anno Domini

A full moon is physically larger than a new moon. Because it is larger it has a larger gravitational pull. This makes the kids go crazy because they are 80% water and the moon is pulling on their brains. (Any time someone starts the kids are crazy because of the moon stuff - coach now just pulls me out of the room afraid my head will explode)

Arrrggghhhhh -- all of those would have driven me wild too, especially if they were said by people who actually teach the subjects involved.  Fortunately, I never hear such nonsense from the wonderful teachers at our middle school.

Shalamar

« Reply #5623 on: November 10, 2012, 12:18:50 PM »
When I was in grade 3, my teacher asked the class for names of mammals.  All the obvious ones like cats and dogs were already taken by the time she got to me, so I said "bats".   

The entire class laughed at me, and the teacher said "BATS aren't MAMMALS!"

I wonder what she thought they were. Maybe, like Calvin, she thought they were bugs.

Jones

« Reply #5624 on: November 10, 2012, 12:22:26 PM »
My daugter's first grade class just finished up a multi-week science project on bats...the mind boggles.