Author Topic: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt  (Read 954031 times)

Jones

Re: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt
« Reply #5625 on: November 10, 2012, 12:22:26 PM »
My daugter's first grade class just finished up a multi-week science project on bats...the mind boggles.

CakeBeret

« Reply #5626 on: November 10, 2012, 01:09:29 PM »
My DH's student loan holder is making my brain hurt.

About four weeks ago, we made a sizable payment on his loans. A week later, we received a letter in the mail saying that only $9.76 remained on the loans, so we made the $9.76 payment.

A week after that, we got a letter saying we owed an additional $23.21.

Three days later, we got a letter saying the remaining balance on the loan was $9.06.

I gave all three letters to DH, along with the payment information, to have him call the loan holder. He has not yet gotten a chance to do so.

Yesterday, we got a letter saying we still owe $25.91.

Today we got a letter saying the loan is paid in full. We are completely befuddled. DH is calling the loan holder Monday morning to make sure we don't owe anything else. It's not a matter of interest accruing, since the loans are still in deferral. I don't think they could be any more confusing if they tried.  :o
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
  • ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
« Reply #5627 on: November 10, 2012, 01:13:33 PM »
For the bats, when my son was five years old, he went as a Mexican Free-Tailed Bat for Halloween.  He was asked if he was Batman. 
He provided a very detailed answer on how and what he was, right down to echolocation, tail length, and how it pollinates and what it eats. 
Yes, at age five, he knew it was a mammal.
:)
Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.

Luci45

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5628 on: November 10, 2012, 01:48:33 PM »

DH is calling the loan holder Monday morning to make sure we don't owe anything else. It's not a matter of interest accruing, since the loans are still in deferral. I don't think they could be any more confusing if they tried.  :o

Heads up! Monday is Veteran's Day federal holiday. Our city is closed, and banks and post office are closed.

Good luck!

magicdomino

« Reply #5629 on: November 10, 2012, 02:18:35 PM »
A couple of exchanges of the the past few years that have made me wonder about other teachers

AD means After Death not Anno Domini

A full moon is physically larger than a new moon. Because it is larger it has a larger gravitational pull. This makes the kids go crazy because they are 80% water and the moon is pulling on their brains. (Any time someone starts the kids are crazy because of the moon stuff - coach now just pulls me out of the room afraid my head will explode)

Thomas Jefferson wrote the US. Constitution 

All the presidents up to and including FDR were of perfect virtue and sterling reputations.  They didn't like the various scandals I recounted. Other's were amazed I did it from memory.

But the scandals are the good part.  I would have paid a lot more attention in history if they had been mentioned.

Ferrets

• "Rugby referees are like bees. They communicate through interpretative dance movements."
  • Dych chi'n moyn dishgled?
« Reply #5630 on: November 10, 2012, 03:39:16 PM »
The entire class laughed at me, and the teacher said "BATS aren't MAMMALS!"

I wonder what she thought they were. Maybe, like Calvin, she thought they were bugs.

The very moment I read "BATS aren't MAMMALS!", my mind also went straight to "BATS AREN'T BUGS!". :D

Poor you! I am similarly confused as to what on earth that teacher thought bats might in fact be... :o

CakeBeret

« Reply #5631 on: November 10, 2012, 04:24:41 PM »

DH is calling the loan holder Monday morning to make sure we don't owe anything else. It's not a matter of interest accruing, since the loans are still in deferral. I don't think they could be any more confusing if they tried.  :o

Heads up! Monday is Veteran's Day federal holiday. Our city is closed, and banks and post office are closed.

Good luck!

Good point. Tuesday, then. :)
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #5632 on: November 10, 2012, 04:33:30 PM »
The entire class laughed at me, and the teacher said "BATS aren't MAMMALS!"

I wonder what she thought they were. Maybe, like Calvin, she thought they were bugs.

The very moment I read "BATS aren't MAMMALS!", my mind also went straight to "BATS AREN'T BUGS!". :D

Poor you! I am similarly confused as to what on earth that teacher thought bats might in fact be... :o

Maybe she actually IS a devout Calvinist.

Iris

« Reply #5633 on: November 10, 2012, 04:41:23 PM »
For the bats, when my son was five years old, he went as a Mexican Free-Tailed Bat for Halloween.  He was asked if he was Batman. 
He provided a very detailed answer on how and what he was, right down to echolocation, tail length, and how it pollinates and what it eats. 
Yes, at age five, he knew it was a mammal.
:)

I knew all about echolocation and the experiment that they did with owls and bats in the dark and their life cycle and how they sleep and what they eat and I even wave to the fruit bats when they fly over my house at night, but I did not know that bats lactate.

And I'm a teacher! The scandal!

Of course, I'm a maths teacher and it kind of makes MY brain hurt as to why people expect me to able to spell perfectly and know *insert random fact here* because I'm a teacher. I once played trivial pursuit with my FIL who was SHOCKED that I didn't know who played the lead in some movie or another because "You went to university!" Maths people, just the maths. On every single other subject I'm allowed to be just as ignorant as every other member of the public.  :)
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

Adelaide

« Reply #5634 on: November 10, 2012, 04:45:47 PM »
It just amazes me how many "friends" I have who keep telling me that we never hang out anymore, that I never come see them, etc. Then when I do get into town and invite them over they're too busy. Then I leave, and they whine that we never hang out anymore, and the cycle begins again. It's especially frustrating when they post things like "I never see you!" on my Facebook wall. Now I've started saying "Yeah, it's just a shame you were busy all those times I invited you to do X, Y, and Z!"

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #5635 on: November 10, 2012, 05:02:27 PM »
It just amazes me how many "friends" I have who keep telling me that we never hang out anymore, that I never come see them, etc. Then when I do get into town and invite them over they're too busy. Then I leave, and they whine that we never hang out anymore, and the cycle begins again. It's especially frustrating when they post things like "I never see you!" on my Facebook wall. Now I've started saying "Yeah, it's just a shame you were busy all those times I invited you to do X, Y, and Z!"

Or the ones who always wanted me to come see them, because it was easier on them.  Well, occasionally I'd like a little ease, too.

Adelaide

« Reply #5636 on: November 10, 2012, 05:34:26 PM »

Or the ones who always wanted me to come see them, because it was easier on them.  Well, occasionally I'd like a little ease, too.

Yeah, but don't they have such "great" excuses though? Like they don't want to leave their dogs, or they're tired after work, or their S/O doesn't want to travel that day.  ::)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #5637 on: November 10, 2012, 05:56:02 PM »
My DH's student loan holder is making my brain hurt.

About four weeks ago, we made a sizable payment on his loans. A week later, we received a letter in the mail saying that only $9.76 remained on the loans, so we made the $9.76 payment.

A week after that, we got a letter saying we owed an additional $23.21.

Three days later, we got a letter saying the remaining balance on the loan was $9.06.

I gave all three letters to DH, along with the payment information, to have him call the loan holder. He has not yet gotten a chance to do so.

Yesterday, we got a letter saying we still owe $25.91.

Today we got a letter saying the loan is paid in full. We are completely befuddled. DH is calling the loan holder Monday morning to make sure we don't owe anything else. It's not a matter of interest accruing, since the loans are still in deferral. I don't think they could be any more confusing if they tried.  :o

My DH's student loans are broken down into different loans based on the disbursement term. It may be that his are the same.

asb8

« Reply #5638 on: November 10, 2012, 09:50:19 PM »
I have one to add.  I'm training in a new job.  Part of that job is distributing 'fill-in-the-blank' wills to those that don't have a full will and testament set up and show those folks how to fill it out so that it is legal in event of their deaths.  My trainer has been steadfastly insisting that the person should sign the document, then take it to a notary to be notarized. 

Last I checked, the notary has to see ID and watch you sign the document in order for it to be notarized and become a legally binding document.

My trainer refuses to believe this and keeps insisting that I have to say it her way.  :o

LB

« Reply #5639 on: November 10, 2012, 10:20:45 PM »
I have one to add.  I'm training in a new job.  Part of that job is distributing 'fill-in-the-blank' wills to those that don't have a full will and testament set up and show those folks how to fill it out so that it is legal in event of their deaths.  My trainer has been steadfastly insisting that the person should sign the document, then take it to a notary to be notarized. 

Last I checked, the notary has to see ID and watch you sign the document in order for it to be notarized and become a legally binding document.

My trainer refuses to believe this and keeps insisting that I have to say it her way.  :o

You can tell your trainer that at least one (former) notary says she is wrong.  :)