Author Topic: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt  (Read 1036814 times)

SheltieMom

Re: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt
« Reply #5640 on: November 10, 2012, 11:28:43 PM »
Three. Current, not even former!
If Timmy had had a Sheltie, he never would have fallen in that well!

mmswm

« Reply #5641 on: November 10, 2012, 11:40:39 PM »
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

NyaChan

« Reply #5642 on: November 11, 2012, 02:35:20 AM »
Not a notary, currently or formerly, but I still know that isn't right.

southern girl

« Reply #5643 on: November 11, 2012, 08:13:17 AM »
Adding my "your trainer is wrong" to the list.  I've been a notary in two states (not one now) and you had to witness the person signing in order to notarize.

pinkyblue

« Reply #5644 on: November 11, 2012, 11:34:36 AM »
Another notary chiming in to say that your trainer has it wrong.  Also, in some states, including mine, wills are not notarized, just signed and then witnessed.  Maybe your trainer is mixing up "witnessing" with "notarizing."

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
  • ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
« Reply #5645 on: November 11, 2012, 03:06:38 PM »
The notary must witness the signing in order to notarize that "I legally say that this person signed this document of this day."

Pod to Pinkyblue.

Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5646 on: November 11, 2012, 05:11:56 PM »
Another notary chiming in to say that your trainer has it wrong.  Also, in some states, including mine, wills are not notarized, just signed and then witnessed.  Maybe your trainer is mixing up "witnessing" with "notarizing."

In my state, even those doing the "witnessing" have to see the person actually sign the will, whether it's notarized or not.

LazyDaisy

« Reply #5647 on: November 11, 2012, 06:09:35 PM »
She needs to get a reason and not let it go. There could be a medical reason that they didn't complete the operation. When my mother had her ovarian cancer surgery that also included a total hysterectomy, the doctor stated up front that she wasn't sure until she got in there to see everything clearly whether or not she would be able to remove anything. 
That's strange: when I had my hysterectomy for cancer this summer, I was told that the surgeon might have to change the TYPE of surgery he would do based on conditions that weren't predictable, but that I was gettin' spayed that day for sure. :D I can see saying that the doctor wouldn't know if she could remove everything via laproscopic techniques, or perform a vag-hys, but I can't imagine starting surgery and concluding that you couldn't remove the tumor after all.
I don't want to threadjack too much but the ovarian tumor had infiltrated the small intestine and uterus, a second and third tumor in the lymph nodes had completely encircled the vena cava. Tumors can be full of blood vessels and a patient can bleed to death during surgery to remove it or it is just too entwined in other organs for a patient to survive. Luckily my mother pulled through her 10-hour surgery. But if the doctor had come into the waiting room in less than an hour, that would mean they were unable to remove anything without killing her -- as it was, she had 6 pints of blood infused.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

oz diva

• The Classics are SO last Century
« Reply #5648 on: November 12, 2012, 12:42:33 AM »
My new boss is rather brain hurty. We got a new staff member. She was employed to do Job A. The next week turns out she's doing Job D.  ::) There was no announcement made, it's apparently just general knowledge now. I don't know how qualified she is for Job D. Neither job was advertised, so I'm assuming they're only for 6 months.

Victoria

Adelaide

« Reply #5649 on: November 12, 2012, 12:56:48 AM »
I want everyone on Facebook to stop asking me what the unusual words in my statuses mean. You care enough to string "What does word mean?" into a sentence but you don't care enough to google "word definition"?

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #5650 on: November 12, 2012, 01:09:49 AM »
I want everyone on Facebook to stop asking me what the unusual words in my statuses mean. You care enough to string "What does word mean?" into a sentence but you don't care enough to google "word definition"?

I absolutely hate that.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

TomatoBunny

« Reply #5651 on: November 12, 2012, 01:13:28 AM »

I'd be tempted to introduce them to 'Let Me Google That For You'.

What makes my brain hurt is that you don't even really need to go to a search engine in some browsers. I type unknown words into the address bar all the time and the definition just pops up for me, along with 3 dictionary sources.

P-p-p-penguin

• Crazy... but that's how it goes
« Reply #5652 on: November 12, 2012, 08:32:29 AM »
People do this allll the time at my work. We deal with locations and often need to know which district/county a certain address is in. It's so much easier to type the town into google and get your answer than ask people in office. I don't get it.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5653 on: November 12, 2012, 10:12:54 AM »
I belong to the SCA, an organization that researches and recreates the Middle Ages and Renaissance. My "kingdom" covers Maryland, Virginia, North and South Carolina, and a bit of Georgia.

Much of our culture is brain-hurty, but the one that drives me the most insane is this: postings for events that could take place in any one of the four states that don't specifically tell you where the event is.  They tell you what group is sponsoring it, and give you directions, but never say "This is in Mayberry NC."  Just "take your best route to I-95 and get off at exit 50." 

HelLO!  There are at least 4 exits designated as 50, one in each state!
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

LittleLou

« Reply #5654 on: November 12, 2012, 11:35:04 AM »
The notary ones reminded me of a brain-hurt conversation I had when I got married and changed my name (double barreled). I'm in the UK btw but got married in the US and changed my name by deed poll after I got back.

I had various documents that needed to go to all the agencies I needed to change my name with - Passport, Driving License, credit cards etc. Rather than send each the documents to each agency individually (and pay to insure the documents each time) I made copies and had these certified at the Post Office. This means that the copies are checked and verified to be a 'complete and true likeness' of the original. They are stamped and signed and you get a separate, Post Office headed form as proof. This way I could send all my documents out at once, rather than waiting for the originals to come back.

This was all accepted, by every agency and company, apart from by one store card company. The phone conversation went like this:

Store Rep: We received your documents, but they are copies. We need the originals.

Me: The copies are certified by the Post Office. The Passport and Driving License agencies have accepted them. Can you check if you can accept them, rather than me having to send the originals?

Store Rep: The Post Office don't do that.

Me: I don't understand. The forms have been stamped and signed by the Post Office as true copies and I sent the form you get with it as proof.

Store Rep: The Post Office can't do that.

Me: I can assure you they do. I can give you the website address with the details if that helps.

Store Rep: You need to send the originals. These are copies.

Me: Do you have the documents in front of you? *Rep confirms* Can you see the stamp and proof form?

Store Rep: Yes. But that's not something the Post Office can do.

*The way the rep said this was as if the Post Office had done this verification - which is a service they have always done and advertise online - without any legal right to do so. At this point I gave up the fight and asked if there was any way I could make the change without sending the originals, as I was loathe.

Store Rep: You could email a scanned copy of the original

Me:  :o