Author Topic: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt  (Read 1069204 times)

Shalamar

Re: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt
« Reply #5655 on: November 12, 2012, 01:57:31 PM »
Elfmama's post reminded me of when I worked for an international company.  There was one newsletter, published in Oakland California, that was sent to the entire company - so, the U.S., Canada, Great Britain, and a few others.

The lady who put the newsletter together evidently had no idea how big the company was, because at the bottom of the cover page she'd put "Any questions?  Come to Room 7 and ask for Brenda."

Amara

« Reply #5656 on: November 12, 2012, 03:16:50 PM »
Hahahaha, Little Lou. Your experience reminded me of when I changed my full name in 1988. (Just a desired name change, no marriage or other reason.) My worst experience was with Cox Cable. I ended up talking to four people, each one progressively higher than the previous, before I got to the area manager who, after hearing my explanation, said, "Of course we can do that. Let me put my assistant on, and she'll take care of it immediately."

(The reason for the previous denials of any name change on the account, was that I had to pay $25 for the change because the company was always getting requests for that with past due bill payers who tried to get out of paying by transferring the account into a roommate's name. (I live in a college town.) Even though they acknowledged I had never been late in paying and had no bill due then it didn't matter. If I wanted the change, I would have to pay because of other people's behaviors.  ::)

TurtleDove

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5657 on: November 12, 2012, 03:23:31 PM »
When I was married in 1999, I did not legally take my husband Mr. Frog's last name but instead went by the alias Turtle Dove Frog.  There was no documentation of this aside from my business cards and things like that.  My driver's license and all other legal documents continued to list me as TurtleDove.  For some reason, my assistant ordered me a corporate credit card under the name of Turtle Dove Frog, a person who had no legal existence at all.  Apparently, this went off without a hitch.  No one ever compared the name on my cororate card with my drivers license when traveling, for example.

Fast forward five years when I got divorced from Mr. Frog and again went professionally by TurtleDove, which had always been my legal name.  My assistant tried to get the corporate card changed into my legal name.  There was an awful lot of red tape because the credit card company demanded proof of legal name change, which is odd because they never required proof Turtle Dove Frog existed in the first place (she didn't) and no legal name change had occurred!

FlyingBaconMouse

• In my belfry...
« Reply #5658 on: November 12, 2012, 03:28:58 PM »
A few years ago, I changed my name from "FlyingPastramiMouse" to "FlyingBaconMouse." Several months ago, I got a voter registration form for "Flying P. Mouse" at my current house, an address where I have never lived under that name.

Clearly some parts of my state's voter database are more awesome than others.  :)
I don't kill threads, but I do seem to stun 'em pretty good. :-)

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #5659 on: November 12, 2012, 03:53:56 PM »
When I was married in 1999, I did not legally take my husband Mr. Frog's last name but instead went by the alias Turtle Dove Frog.  There was no documentation of this aside from my business cards and things like that.  My driver's license and all other legal documents continued to list me as TurtleDove.  For some reason, my assistant ordered me a corporate credit card under the name of Turtle Dove Frog, a person who had no legal existence at all.  Apparently, this went off without a hitch.  No one ever compared the name on my cororate card with my drivers license when traveling, for example.

Fast forward five years when I got divorced from Mr. Frog and again went professionally by TurtleDove, which had always been my legal name.  My assistant tried to get the corporate card changed into my legal name.  There was an awful lot of red tape because the credit card company demanded proof of legal name change, which is odd because they never required proof Turtle Dove Frog existed in the first place (she didn't) and no legal name change had occurred!

That sounds like a huge pain. How were you able to fix it? ...that is assuming you were able to fix it.
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

Shalamar

« Reply #5660 on: November 12, 2012, 06:27:39 PM »
My husband is currently employed, but not very happy where he is, and he's applied online to a few places.   One company's website asked that he provide a desired salary.  His current salary is $85,000 per year, and he hasn't had a raise in years (which is one of the reasons why he's unhappy), so he put "$95,000/year".

VERY shortly afterwards (less than a day), he got a call from the company.  They were very excited about his resume and qualifications and couldn't wait to set up an interview.   There was just one little thing:

"I see here that your desired salary is $95,000.  I'm afraid we can't go quite that high."
"Oh?  (Thinking that they were going to offer $80,000 or so.)"
"Yes - but we CAN offer $45,000 per year!"

Cue expectant pause, as though the guy was waiting for my husband to go into rhapsodies at the idea of cutting his salary almost in half.   ???   He seemed very disappointed and perplexed when my husband said politely "I'm afraid that won't work for me."

Ceallach

• This Is It
« Reply #5661 on: November 12, 2012, 09:15:12 PM »
My husband is currently employed, but not very happy where he is, and he's applied online to a few places.   One company's website asked that he provide a desired salary.  His current salary is $85,000 per year, and he hasn't had a raise in years (which is one of the reasons why he's unhappy), so he put "$95,000/year".

VERY shortly afterwards (less than a day), he got a call from the company.  They were very excited about his resume and qualifications and couldn't wait to set up an interview.   There was just one little thing:

"I see here that your desired salary is $95,000.  I'm afraid we can't go quite that high."

Cue expectant pause, as though the guy was waiting for my husband to go into rhapsodies at the idea of cutting his salary almost in half.   ???   He seemed very disappointed and perplexed when my husband said politely "I'm afraid that won't work for me."

ROFL!   

It also amuses me when companies don't discuss salary expectation up front.   After all, it is one of the major factors that job seekers consider, even if they are looking for something specific there's usually a threshold that they need to maintain.    I applied for a role once and got a callback, and they immediately wanted to schedule an interview which threw me a little bit.   I agreed, and it was only the next day I realised I knew waaay too little about the role.   I called back and asked a few more questions including salary.  When I told them what I was on the guy was shocked!  "Oh! Um... well no I guess we were looking to pay a little more around $x...."  (a good $30k difference).   There was nothing in the job ad to indicate it was at a lower level, but I can't believe he was going to waste his time interviewing me without finding out what I was actually looking for.   Obviously I cancelled the interview.  I kind of felt bad for the guy because it was fairly clear to me that he knew nothing about recruitment!   I had a similar situation with my current role, again an owner operator, and again she tried to go straight into the scheduling an interview part without asking any other questions about what I was looking for etc.  This time I was ready and said "I'm happy to schedule an interview but I don't want to waste any of your time, is it ok if I just ask a few questions first to ensure we're on the same page?"   Turns out we were exactly on the same page and it's a match made in heaven, but I'm glad I did my homework!
"Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something"

JoW

« Reply #5662 on: November 12, 2012, 11:41:54 PM »
I once got a call like that from a headhunter (personnel recruiter).  The job was in my field, but the company he was recruiting for wanted 1 person to do a task in 6 months when to do the task right would take a staff of 10 people 2 years.  I told the caller that and he told me "They are offering a salary of X."  I laughed a little when I told him it was the same salary I had made 20 years earlier, straight out of school with no experience, 1/3 of the salary I was making a the time of the call. 

We spoke for a few more seconds and I discovered he had already spoken to several other people with qualifications similar to mine.  They all said the same thing - too much work for 1 person, too little pay.  He was not looking forward to passing that information along to his client. 

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5663 on: November 13, 2012, 07:32:12 AM »
I once had two girls from Texas insist I was a yankee because I'm from Maryland.  Um, I don't think I'm far north enough to be a yankee!
To a lot of southerners, a Yankee is anyone who is not from the Deep South, not just a New Englander.

As a Californian, I never thought of Maryland as a southern state until my employer sent me to live in what was then a fairly rural town about an hour's drive from DC.

And for brain hurt, more than once I was asked something like "California? Oh, maybe you know my cousin who lives in Burbank?" When I'd tell them that Burbank was about 400 miles (approx. 650 KM) from where I lived, they were astounded. They were just not used to the concept of a state being so big. "400 miles!" one person exclaimed. "That's all the way to Florida!"."

I actually live in Florida - and one day, complaining about a friend who asked me for a favor that turned out to be a lot more driving than I expected, I realized I'd driven far enough that day to have crossed some of the smaller states, without even leaving the east side of my metropolitan area!  It takes me a whole tank of gas to get out of the state by the shortest route.  Being able to drive across multiple states in a few hours made my brain hurt a little bit when I was younger and saw it on TV shows.

Being able to drive to multiple states in a few hours is why I moved back to Maryland.  I think I calculated that in 4 hours you could be in about 8 states.  In 6 hours that goes up to 9 or 10 states.  In 8 hours it's about 13 or 14 states.  Maryland is awesome, we have mountains, beaches, hills, flats, all in one awesome package. We also have all the rocks that fell out of Pennsylvania too, but I digress

Where I am in Maryland now, you drive either north or south for about 20 minutes, you'll be in either Pennsylvania or N. Virginia.  The church I attend has quite a few parishioners from Pennsylvania. Go about 20 minutes west and you'll be in WVA. 
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Cat-Fu

• My cat is a ninja
« Reply #5664 on: November 13, 2012, 10:23:38 AM »
Shalamar & Ceallach, that reminds me of the headhunters who have contacted me for contracts at $15/hour. Typically contract work in my field & area is at least $40/hr!! (Not that I have any desire to go back to contract, either.) One headhunter argued with me that I was being too demanding, maybe he could get it up to a whole $17...  ::) No thanks...
“Poetry is a sword of lightning, ever unsheathed, which consumes the scabbard that would contain it.” PBS

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #5665 on: November 13, 2012, 01:19:50 PM »
I am consistently astonished at our permanent full time staff at mid-level positions who apply for positions that are low-level and are amazed that we won't meet their current salary, relocate that position, or reclassify the position to match where they are currently.

Mind you, the last two low-level positions we posted had over 200 applications each. We still have to interview all current staff who apply, even if they currently have a higher position and salary.

HorseFreak

« Reply #5666 on: November 13, 2012, 03:28:02 PM »
I went apartment hunting yesterday and stopped at four different complexes. Aside from one manager acting like I was going to knife her in the back given half a chance it went pretty smoothly. However, I've gotten two calls and an email from one place that was outside my budget. I viewed it just to make sure it wasn't so spectacular I couldn't turn it down (or it worked out with amenities or low pet fees to be even with the more affordable places). I specifically told the realtor it needed it to be less than $PP (price point). She said (with excitement), "We have three options in your price range! Option A is $PP+80, B is $PP+80 and C is $PP+15!" All the previous similar apartments I had looked at were $100-200 less per month AND this place charged astronomical pet and "processing" fees. Plus I would have to rent a washer and dryer which honestly should be included at those prices. The place wasn't that great for the money and I said I'd call if I was interested.

What kind of salesman completely ignores your budget like that? I got out of there as soon as possible since I couldn't get her to disclose all the fees until I specifically asked about each one.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 07:38:18 PM by HorseFreak »

Cat-Fu

• My cat is a ninja
« Reply #5667 on: November 13, 2012, 04:14:00 PM »
What kind of salesman completely ignores your budget like that? I got out of there as soon as possible since I couldn't get her to disclose all the fees until I specifically asked about each one.

One who is hoping to make a larger comission (and isn't being very bright about it), I would guess!
“Poetry is a sword of lightning, ever unsheathed, which consumes the scabbard that would contain it.” PBS

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #5668 on: November 13, 2012, 04:50:38 PM »
I asked Mental Boyfriend where he had put the lunchbox.  His answer?

"In the closet in the spare room."
"Why?"
"That's where the other one was."
"Wait, you really put it in the closet in the spare room?"
"Yes."
"That doesn't make any sense.  Why would I ever look there for it?"
"That's where the other one was."
"So you really think I would look in the closet in the spare room for the lunchbox I left in the kitchen?"
"Well, that's where the other one was."
"But I left it in the kitchen because I'm using it and that's where I use."
"The other one was in the closet."

I gave up after that.  I realize that he was trying to keep the lunchboxes together (I didn't know there was another one in the closet), but it never occurred to him that I left it in the kitchen for a reason and that putting it somewhere I would never look for it even though I was using it was a bad idea.
MM - I guess you did not know that the other lunchbox was lonely.  Mental BF was tuned in to lunchbox vibrations and he knew exactly how lonely the lunchbox was, sitting all alone in the closet while the other lunchbox went off with you to work.  I'll bet you didn't know that the lunchboxes socialize in the work refrigerator.  Sometimes the hazing gets out of hand, especially when the lunchboxes start daring each other to out-tofu each other. >:D
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #5669 on: November 13, 2012, 06:06:50 PM »
I went apartment hunting yesterday and stopped at four different complexes. Aside from one manager acting like I was going to knife her in the back given half a chance it went pretty smoothly. However, I've gotten two calls and an email from one place that was outside my budget. I viewed it just to make sure it wasn't so spectacular I couldn't turn it down (or it worked out with amenities or low pet fees to be even with the more affordable places). I specifically told the realtor needed it to be less than $PP. She said (with excitement), "We have three options in your price range! Option A is $PP+80, B is $PP+80 and C is $PP+15!" All the previous similar apartments I had looked at were $100-200 less per month AND this place charged astronomical pet and "processing" fees. Plus I would have to rent a washer and dryer which honestly should be included at those prices. The place wasn't that great for the money and I said I'd call if I was interested.

We went through that last summer. We ended up buying a used washer/dryer from a friend and it worked out. I was astonished by the number of places that don't include them. Good luck finding the perfect place.