Author Topic: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt  (Read 1071316 times)

LB

Re: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt
« Reply #5715 on: November 16, 2012, 04:38:59 PM »
Was just about to post that my mom did threaten me with how awful foster care was when I threatened to call CPS on her...you don't really realize how dysfunctional your childhood is until you have normal peoples' experiences to compare it to!

I don't remember where I heard it at but I think the best response ever to a child threatening to call CPS because Mom or Dad would not cave to their SS demand was "Go head, they can't make me take you back. "

Ha!

*scribbles in her Book of Mom Phrases*

Jocelyn

« Reply #5716 on: November 16, 2012, 06:22:52 PM »
If this is an inappropriate question, please let me know and I will delete this post entirely.  But if the child is one and he's already been in foster care for a year, that means probably from pretty early infancy.  We know babies bond at an early age.  May I ask why they would move a toddler that has already bonded with another family?  Is the purpose to keep the child from attaching too much to any one couple so that they can someday be reunited with their birth parent?  I've never understood this.  I'd like to know the reasoning.  But as I said, this question may be inappropriate and I do understand that you may not want to or be able to answer.
Children may be moved because the original foster family no longer wishes to foster children, or cannot continue for some reason. Or, sadly enough, because the child is not safe in that particular home. Children have been abused in foster homes. One of the biggest risks is that a younger child can be abused by other foster children, as they act out their own abuse. Children may be moved if the permanency plan is for the child to return to the biological parents and the foster parents are unable to cope with that emotionally, so they're engaging in an emotional tug-of-war with the bio parents over the child. I've worked cases where the foster parents were telling the children that their biological parents were bad people who didn't love them, or constantly criticizing the birth parents, trying to make the child choose them over their bio parents. It doesn't really apply in this case, but older kids can be moved because their conduct is so disruptive that the foster family asks to have them removed, or they need to be placed in a more structured environment.

Jones

« Reply #5717 on: November 16, 2012, 06:24:28 PM »
This conversation is making my heart hurt.  :'( Snowflake, you are a stronger person than me; I don't think I could be a foster parent, judgemental and confusing neighbors aside.

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
  • ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
« Reply #5718 on: November 16, 2012, 06:26:24 PM »
Bill Cosby-
'I brought you into this world; I can take you out!  And I'll make another one, look just like you."

OK,, I think we need to get back to brain hurty talking...
Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.

Frog24

« Reply #5719 on: November 16, 2012, 06:50:37 PM »
Bill Cosby-
'I brought you into this world; I can take you out!  And I'll make another one, look just like you."

OK,, I think we need to get back to brain hurty talking...

Sorry, sorry, sorry... but I had to add this:

I had the opportunity to see Bill Cosby a year or so ago.  He was telling the story of how his teenage daughter threw the line of "Well, I didn't ASK to be BORN!" at him during an argument.  He looked at her and said: "Yes, you did! You're the one that got to the egg first!"

</thread jack>

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #5720 on: November 16, 2012, 07:08:26 PM »
One of my cousins was a foster parent. A child was moved from their house after she had a child. They no longer met the requirements of bedroom sq footage per child.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #5721 on: November 16, 2012, 07:14:28 PM »
When Misty was a silly filly, she gave me all kinds of grief training her.  She bucked me off and a couple other people who were professional trainers.  One trainer told me I should sell her as I was ruining her and she was dangerous for me to ride.  I told my father, tearfully, that we might have to sell Misty and it was breaking my heart.

He said, "How can you consider selling her?  You gave your mother and me all kinds of grief and we didn't sell you?"

Why would this make my brain hurt?  Because I had an older foster sister who did not get along with my mother.  They "gave her back."  Dad must think I forgot that, or maybe he's blocked it out.  It is unsettling to have an older sister for years, then all of a sudden she is gone.  Add to that, my parent just said, "She didn't follow our rules."  I was an insecure child and this did not make me feel more secure.  If I didn't follow their rules, would they ditch me, too?
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

Pippen

« Reply #5722 on: November 16, 2012, 07:23:40 PM »
When Misty was a silly filly, she gave me all kinds of grief training her.  She bucked me off and a couple other people who were professional trainers.  One trainer told me I should sell her as I was ruining her and she was dangerous for me to ride.  I told my father, tearfully, that we might have to sell Misty and it was breaking my heart.

He said, "How can you consider selling her?  You gave your mother and me all kinds of grief and we didn't sell you?"

Why would this make my brain hurt?  Because I had an older foster sister who did not get along with my mother.  They "gave her back."  Dad must think I forgot that, or maybe he's blocked it out.  It is unsettling to have an older sister for years, then all of a sudden she is gone.  Add to that, my parent just said, "She didn't follow our rules."  I was an insecure child and this did not make me feel more secure.  If I didn't follow their rules, would they ditch me, too?

Oh I can definitely see how upsetting and difficult to reconcile that would be.

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #5723 on: November 16, 2012, 07:57:03 PM »

He said, "How can you consider selling her? You gave your mother and me all kinds of grief and we didn't sell you?"

as;ldfkjhg What?!? Having to sell a horse because she's dangerous to your health is not the same as giving up a child because they're annoying. That was amazingly cruel and horrible to say, as well as being brain - hurty.

I made my Dad's brain hurt today. We had to buy stuff for Thanksgiving today (it'll be too crazy this next week to try to get any shopping done), and Dad told me to turn the kitchen light off (we were in the kitchen and Dad was by the door. I went into the dining room because I thought I saw the shopping list on the table.

Dad: Violinp, what are you doing? I wanted you to turn off the kitchen light, not the dining room light!
Me: I wasn't going in there for that!
Dad: What did you need?
Me: We need the list!
Dad: *looks on the table* Violinp, that's my recipe for oyster chowder. I have the list in my pocket.
Me: ...Oh.

The thing is, my mom handwrote the shopping list, and my dad handwrote the recipe. Their handwriting looks about as alike as a goldfish and a squid. I can't blame it on sleep deprivation, because I got 8 hours of sleep.  :-[
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5724 on: November 16, 2012, 08:37:54 PM »
We've had our car for more than 15 years (it's a 90 Toyota Corolla).  For all that time I have been using the same seat belt buckle.  I can't even think how many times.  Anyway, over the past couple of months it has started to stick and I have trouble unbuckling it.  Just intermittently.  I mention it every time to my husband and every time he says he has no trouble with it.  "Hmm....I don't have that problem.". which translates to "It must be you and not the belt."
Today I had trouble again and when he tried it he fiddled and fiddled with it, then told me that he figured out  'if you press on the side bar and the button at the same time it won't work."  HUH!?  Suddenly I have started to do some weird maneuver intermittently causing the problem?  Why, I ask, would I suddenly, after all these years, not know how to use the seat belt?  Aye cadathe!  (means:  "Oh, good grief!"  "Oh, for crying out loud!" "Yahhh!  I'm going to tear my hair out any minute now!!!!")
That hissing you heard this afternoon was steam coming out my ears!
At least he's looking at it, trying to figure it out. Stop complaining and count my blessings, and he surely is one of them after nearly 40 years of marriage!
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 08:56:19 PM by Bijou »
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #5725 on: November 16, 2012, 08:56:25 PM »
We've had our car for more than 15 years (it's a 90 Toyota Corolla).  For all that time I have been using the same seat belt buckle.  I can't even think how many times.  Anyway, over the past couple of months it has started to stick and I have trouble unbuckling it.  Just intermittently.  I mention it every time to my husband and every time he says he has no trouble with it.  "Hmm....I don't have that problem.". which translates to "It must be you and not the belt."
Today I had trouble again and when he tried it he fiddled and fiddled with it, then told me that he figured out  'if you press on the side bar and the button at the same time it won't work."  HUH!?  Suddenly I have started to do some weird maneuver intermittently causing the problem?  Why, I ask, would I suddenly, after all these years, not know how to use the seat belt?  Aye cadathe!  (means:  "Oh, good grief!"  "Oh, for crying out loud!" "Yahhh!  I'm going to tear my hair out any minute now!!!!")

Its seems much more logical to assume after 15 years the mechanism has simply worn down.  There's got to be considerable wear & tear on a button after 15 years of use! Your DH probably always pushed the button the way he's pushing now, and you pushed the way you pushed.  Its just luck of the drawer that the way you do it no longer works now that its worn down.

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5726 on: November 17, 2012, 04:17:45 AM »

Its seems much more logical to assume after 15 years the mechanism has simply worn down.  There's got to be considerable wear & tear on a button after 15 years of use! Your DH probably always pushed the button the way he's pushing now, and you pushed the way you pushed.  Its just luck of the drawer that the way you do it no longer works now that its worn down.
That's what I think.  What a guy!  I probably make his brain hurt, too, sometimes, though, so I guess we're even.
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

sunnygirl

« Reply #5727 on: November 17, 2012, 05:44:43 AM »
That reminds me, I was on the tube recently coming back from a trip, and my wheeled suitcase's handle was broken so it no longer retracted. So many people approached me to try to teach me how to retract the handle, and insisted on saying, "oh no, all you have to do is press the button on top and push the handle down!" even after I explained it was broken. I mean, really. Which is more likely, a cheap supermarket case breaking, or someone going through an entire foreign trip without figuring out how to do something as basic as use a suitcase? For some reason they just couldn't get their heads around a simple a concept as 'it is broken.'

Hazmat

• This Veteran is heavily medicated for your protection
  • How can I miss you if you won't go away?
    • Chronus Is Latin For Time
« Reply #5728 on: November 17, 2012, 09:37:17 AM »

That's what I think.  What a guy!  I probably make his brain hurt, too, sometimes, though, so I guess we're even.
My old Ford diesel pickup is the same way, I finally figured out the trick to it (push down on the "male" part as you're pressing the button.)  Anybody else that drives it has to wiggle out from under or have me do it for them. 

You could go to a junkyard to get one similar to it.  That's what I had to do when Bruiser, my boxer, chewed through my seatbelt because he didn't  like waiting in the truck. 

A guest is a jewel on the cushion of hospitality. -Nero Wolfe

Indiana

Shalamar

« Reply #5729 on: November 17, 2012, 10:16:46 AM »
That reminds me of when my electronic bathroom scale stopped working.  "Did you try changing the battery?".  GEE NO THAT NEVER OCCURRED TO ME.   ::)