Author Topic: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt  (Read 1070845 times)

snowdragon

Re: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt
« Reply #5745 on: November 18, 2012, 01:16:07 AM »
Oh, lord and lady, husbands and their denseness!

From time to time, DH will ask "Where do we keep ________?" or when we empty the dishwasher "I don't know where the ________ goes." I could understand his confusion when he was on active duty and we moved every 2 or 3 years, but we have lived in the current house since 1989.  After 23 years, how can he NOT know where the bread pans live?

Along a similar line, "Why don't you ever buy _________ anymore?"  Because they haven't made it in 20-25 years, dearest.  Which is exactly the same answer that I gave you the LAST time you asked about _______.

because he does not see them often enough.  That is the answer I gave my mother when she asked how I did not know where something went - we've lived here since 1974

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #5746 on: November 18, 2012, 01:17:39 AM »
I can't complain about DH being dense - this time was me  :-[  We were talking about the election, and he mentioned that Wisconsin elected the first openly gay senator.  My first reaction was a joking "Wow - did they know she was gay?"

DH had to point out to me that's what "openly" meant  ::)

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #5747 on: November 18, 2012, 03:10:58 AM »
When we moved to San Angelo, we didn't get a bunch of mail. Figured it was just taking time till the change of address kicked in. Then we weren't getting mail that didn't need an address change like the electric bill.

Then a couple of weeks after we moved in, this boy comes down with 2 grocery bags of mail - including Mom's cross stitch books that had been removed from their packaging. Our address had been crossed out an an address 3 houses down and across the street - the family had the same surname.

I took the mail down to the post office to ask what was going on. Turns out that the middle of our street was the dividing line for 2 mail routes. The other guy was seeing the surname and delivering to them. That got taken care off.

Then a couple of years later. I was working at the museum. They asked my Dad to be on the board. I asked my boss if that was going to be a problem. He told me it wasn't my Dad that was going to be on the board. Turns out he thought my neighbor was my Dad.

My Dad was convinced that I didn't work for "that Museum". I worked a the Children's Art Museum which was part of the Fine Arts Museum but in a different location. He thought they were different museum.

They ended up consulting a lawyer. It was decided that since I was hired before Dad was on the board it wasn't a problem.

A couple of years after that I was going to have a computer delivered. My parents went out of town unexpectedly so there was no one at home to sign for the computer. I arranged to have  the delivery changed to the museum.  UPS delivered a tapestry not a computer. The tapestry was supposed to go to the neighbor. I called her and she got my computer - they left it on the porch. We exchanged the packages. For several years after that periodically we would receive packages from the neighbor at work. Even packages addressed to the neighbor at work. Confidential packages containing patient records, he was a doctor.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Nikko-chan

« Reply #5748 on: November 18, 2012, 03:46:43 AM »
Ow... that really is brain hurty. I just have a headache from reading all of that kherbert05!

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #5749 on: November 18, 2012, 08:30:20 AM »

From time to time, DH will ask "Where do we keep ________?" or when we empty the dishwasher "I don't know where the ________ goes." I could understand his confusion when he was on active duty and we moved every 2 or 3 years, but we have lived in the current house since 1989.  After 23 years, how can he NOT know where the bread pans live?

Along a similar line, "Why don't you ever buy _________ anymore?"  Because they haven't made it in 20-25 years, dearest.  Which is exactly the same answer that I gave you the LAST time you asked about _______.

My parents have been living in the same house for nearly 25 years, but my dad rarely washes things, so I had to teach him where everything went. The kicker? It's our new kitchen, which he designed. Whut.
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #5750 on: November 18, 2012, 11:37:51 AM »
Every couple of years, VorGuy will ask a question about something....that comes across the same way - if it's my "job" to handle that project, he does not retain the information overnight.  It's like his brain runs Disk Cleanup and then deletes ALL the information.

This could be about a cake mix, a candy, a soda (pop), a computer game, or any of a hundred other subjects that "he" doesn't do the shopping for since that is (mostly) my job (he works - I am a stay at home mom - so my "job" includes running most errands - with shopping lists, sometimes he wonders why I haven't brought home something that he misses).

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Him - "Why don't you buy Brand X any more?  I like it more than this Brand Y."

Me - "Because the company hasn't made Brand X in years."  ::)

Him - "Are you sure?  It really was better than this stuff..." back to fiddling with whatever it was that caused the comment.

Me -   :o   :-\   "I can't get it any more, sorry."

++++++++++++++++  wait six months to two years - repeat conversation ++++++++++++++++++

He quit asking for Crystal Pepsi quickly.  He still asks about some peach candies that the (family) company went out of business about three years ago (they were good - Peach Buds, if you were ever lucky enough to get them).  Tiara Dessert mixes (for a couple of years - not the last fifteen or so - though he still mourns their rich chocolate cakes with Amoretta or Kahlua flavored mousse filling).

I still have the Tiara Desserts pan - but I haven't seen the mixes since the late 1980s (cake in a flat pan with a depression in the middle for a mousse type filling with some other kind of filling in a layer on top of that).  I think I bought three of the mixes after getting the one with the free pan before they quit making them - if they were on sale AND I had a coupon.  They were expensive mixes - but went over well if you were going to a covered dish dinner & were taking dessert.

I still have the pan and it is perfect for pound cake when I want to serve strawberry short cake.....or any other kind of dessert with a filling spread into the depression.....they just travel better across a town than across state lines.....
« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 11:44:16 AM by VorFemme »
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5751 on: November 18, 2012, 12:31:04 PM »

My parents have been living in the same house for nearly 25 years, but my dad rarely washes things, so I had to teach him where everything went. The kicker? It's our new kitchen, which he designed. Whut.

There's a story about this issue in the sitcom The King of Queens.  The wife tells her husband the scissors haven't moved in 10 years so just start opening drawers and look for it himself because "I'm sick of being a tour guide in our own kitchen."  I vow to use that line someday.

CuriousParty

« Reply #5752 on: November 18, 2012, 12:50:46 PM »

There's a story about this issue in the sitcom The King of Queens.  The wife tells her husband the scissors haven't moved in 10 years so just start opening drawers and look for it himself because "I'm sick of being a tour guide in our own kitchen."  I vow to use that line someday.

My father asks me questions about this all the time..."Where does your mother keep the..."  The kicker is that not only have they lived in that house for over a decade, I have never lived in that house at all.

greencat

« Reply #5753 on: November 18, 2012, 04:06:47 PM »
My parents fortunately keep most of the kitchen things in the same places they did during my childhood, but some small things, like drinking straws, have wandered around the kitchen in the decade since I moved out, so I always have to ask.

Some of my friends have their kitchens organized in ways that make my brains hurt - pots and pans and cooking utensils far away from the range, for instance.  I am forever opening the wrong cabinet at their homes because things are not where I would logically expect them to be, based on the use of the objects.

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #5754 on: November 18, 2012, 10:09:36 PM »
Dear Sweet Old Man at Church,

I know you were very sick last week and had to make a trip to the ER. I also know that I am now pretty sick with a nasty cold.

You're sweet to care about my health. However, just because I am congested and coughing a lot, like you were, doesn't mean that I am ER - worthy ill. You had to go to the ER because you are in your 80s and have a weaker immune system than I do, plus you have several health complications not related to your age. I'm miserable right now, but I will be fine. Promise. Cross my heart and spit on my liver.
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
« Reply #5755 on: November 19, 2012, 08:49:01 AM »

Oh thank God I'm not the only one with this problem! DP drinks Crystal Lite Fruit Punch, almost to the exclusion of anything else. I put the packets of it in one cupboard, right next to the sink, at eye level, in the front, where a blind field mouse could find them. At least once I week, I get home and am informed that I forgot to leave her anything to drink and she 'couldn't find it'.

Last week, I got home and she told me that the lid to the tea pitcher, which had been in the refrigerator, was missing. I had left it on the pitcher, so I was a little baffled that it was gone, especially since it's one of those that latches on to the pitcher. After scouring the inside of the fridge, the counters, the area between the fridge and the wall and the counter, and checking once again that she didn't set it in the freezer or something, I found it - under the stove. I didn't even know things COULD fit under the stove. Only DP...

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5756 on: November 19, 2012, 09:15:51 AM »
About a month ago, SIL and her DH stayed with us for a few days.  As is their habit, they wanted to do a load of wash before they went home.  No problem at all.

Because we were all together, we made a phone call to her Mom and along the way, the wash got mentioned.  MIL thought this was hilarious. 

'Oh, ho!  It will take her all day to do her wash in that tiny, little washer of yours'.

SIL and I both shook our heads over that one.  MIL has never visited our home since we got our current washer.  It isn't a miniature version.  SIL even said that the washer was the same size as the one she has at home. 

We decided MIL thinks that, because we live in a city apartment, everything must be tiny to save space.  In fact, our apartment has as much space as a reasonably sized two bedroom house. 

amylouky

« Reply #5757 on: November 19, 2012, 10:19:22 AM »
Oldie but goodie. DH used to work as a delivery driver, in-town only. Once we were at an event on the other side of town, and we had the following conversation:

DH: *pokes me in the shoulder* (not hard, we were playing)
Me: Stop!
DH: *pokes me again*
Me: If you don't stop, I'm leaving you here!  (I had driven)
DH: Yeah, so?? I'll be out this way on delivery tomorrow anyway.
Me: *blink* *ouch* So.. what, you'll pick yourself up??

Yeah, he still catches heck for that one sometimes.   >:D

rashea

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5758 on: November 19, 2012, 10:30:02 AM »
My conversation with UPS.

BG: I live in the middle of nowhere. Technically, because our drive branches off the other road, we had to choose a name for it for 911 purposes. My DF picked a name with a funny spelling. Something like: Allweighswrite (not the real name, but works for now). This is our legal address. It's our mailing address, and it's our 911 address. Sadly, being not a town road, it doesn't show up in google maps, and may deity help you if you try to get a GPS unit to find us.

We had a package coming. Apparently the store shipped it in two packages, but only gave me 1 tracking number.
Monday
Me: Hi, need to let you know where to deliver tacking number 1 (that would be so much easier than the 16 character code!).
UPS: Sorry, that package isn't out for delivery yet. We can't input that information into the system until it reaches the delivery office. Try again tomorrow.
Me: So, I have to check every day, and then call you just on the day when it's going to be delivered, or you won't be able to deliver it?
UPS: Basically

Wednesday (package is now out on the truck for delivery)
I call and tell them that Allweighswrite drive is one they probably won't be willing to deliver on, and they won't find. So leave it in the shed next to the mailbox at the end of Pitkens Rd. End of day I go down and find the package. I know immediately that it's not a big enough box to have the whole order. I open it up, and the packing list shows a second package with a different tracking number. Okay, I get that they got separated. I'm a little confused that no one noticed that it was package 2 of 2 or that there was another package going to the same name on the list. I go online and find that the second package wasn't delivered because the "street address is incorrect".

I call up. I insist that the street address is correct. That their inability to Google it (if you google it you will find the address) does not mean that the street address is wrong. This is important, because last time they sent the package back. Finally, I just want to change the delivery address to 105 Pitkins Rd (105 is our house #, and the number on the mailbox). They insist that they can't change the road name, only the number. They want to change it to 151 (the neighbor with the shed on Pitkins) Allweighswrite dr. I ask how that will help, because it's the allweighswrite dr part they can't find. Not that 105. This continued for a while until I finally lied and said they could deliver it to the shed at 151 allweighswrite dr which was right off of Pitkins Rd (almost true).

They promised to have someone call within the hour to resolve this for future issues. I'm still waiting.

"Manners change, principles don't. It's about treating people with consideration, respect and honesty." Peter Post

Vermont

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #5759 on: November 19, 2012, 10:39:10 AM »
^ That hurts my brain... why not just give the address originally as where you want it delivered to begin with?  I UPS daily, you can absolutely deliver stuff to be dropped off in weird places. I had one customer who's UPS delivery was "Joe Schmoe, Throw box over fence, 123 Anywhere St, Brooklyn NY" and I've sent my niece boxes addressed via UPS delivery label "Amy Jones, The Cupboard under the stairs, 987 Townhouse Rd, Sacramento, CA".  Why not just put your address in as "Rashea Smith, Shed next to the mailbox, 105 Pitkins Rd, Yourtown, ST" to begin with? (Simply use the "company name" line for the "shed next to mailbox" bit.)