Author Topic: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt  (Read 1072083 times)

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
Re: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt
« Reply #5850 on: November 27, 2012, 09:20:09 AM »
I sorta see her point - the jam is stored without refrigeration, as long as the seal is unbroken.

But every jar of storebought jam, jelly, marmalade, or preserves that I have ever seen (and a lot of other bottles & jars of things that aren't fruit spreads) have "refrigerate after opening" on the label.

Apparently, in her mind, if it doesn't say to refrigerate the open jar.....then you don't need to.....?  Which seems a little air-headed.....but my mother taught high school science and worked in research (jobs that I remember - before that, there was a water treatment plant lab) and I *know* what lurks in the world, waiting to find a place to feed and grow.....and it's not vampires - it's mold spores!
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #5851 on: November 27, 2012, 09:41:05 AM »
My Mum never refrigerated jam - even after opening. We went through it fast enough, that it was never an issue.

Took me awhile and a few jars of moldy jam after I'd moved out to learn that 1 person simply doesn't eat jam at the same rate as 6 people do ;)
Now I always refrigerate it.

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

AfleetAlex

• Proud cat mom and Auntie
« Reply #5852 on: November 27, 2012, 10:08:24 AM »
When I was a teenager, my grandmother once made me a pair of enormous underwear and gave them to me at Christmas in front of the whole family. I have to admit my reaction was pretty much what some of you described above as I was pretty mortified.

Other than that year she's always given excellent hand-made gifts and I've always been appreciative.

Seriously?  Your grandma gave you gigantic home made underwear for Christmas when you were a teenager?  Was it some kind of joke or something?  I'm dying to know the background to this story.  Did everyone in the family get underwear for Christmas that year, or just you?  And was that all she gave you?  There's GOT to be more!  :)

My grandmother grew up during the Depression and became quite a practical seamstress, reworking fabrics into new items. I'm not sure if the underthings were one of those, but she often gave handmade items to people and usually they were tasteful or reminded someone of a beloved fabric.

This pair, however, were what a teenage girl would call "granny panties" and not something she would want to open in front of the whole family at Christmas. (I'm quite sure Grandma gave me other things for Christmas that year, I just can't remember them quite as vividly as the underwear.)
I have a chronic case of foot-in-mouth disease.

Sheila Take a Bow

• Formerly arija but I felt like a name change.
« Reply #5853 on: November 27, 2012, 01:19:50 PM »
DF and I are from the SAME state, and he still doesn't understand that growing up in the San Fernando Valley in LA County is not the same as being from Inglewood (also in LA County).

We were watching the Notre Dame/USC game last night, and the announcer mentioned the game was being played at USC, which I noted.

DF - "Where is that, Inglewood?"
Me - "Yes."
DF - "Oh, that's where you're from."
Me -  :o  >:( "Uh, no-o-o, Inglewood is NOTHING like the San Fernando Valley and is not close by." (LA is horrendous for traffic so if you check out the distance, it might seem close by but, really, it could be a two-hour drive to get there from the Valley; in terms of communities, TOTALLY different).

I was very insulted and afraid he'd go around conveying to people that I come from Inglewood since he sometimes has the tendency to process information incorrectly and then tell that info to others.

Technically, neither of you was right.  USC and the Coliseum (where they play football) are in central Los Angeles.  Inglewood is southwest of LA, and a separate city.  It's a 20-30 minute drive, I think.

PeterM

« Reply #5854 on: November 27, 2012, 09:29:24 PM »
A co-worker had a brain-hurty exchange just a little while ago. She was taking a message from a patron on the phone and asked for her phone number.

The patron gives the number, area code first, "Five-Oh-Three..." and so on.

My co-worker repeats the number back, "Five-Zero-Three..." and so on.

After listening to the entire repeated number the patron says that's not right, it's "Five-Oh-Three..." and so on. Same exact number.

Took another cycle or two for my confused co-worker to realize that in this patron's world, "Five-Oh-Three" is not the exact same number as "Five-Zero-Three." The patron was apparently pretty indignant about it.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5855 on: November 27, 2012, 10:18:51 PM »
How about people who refuse to embrace technology?  My bff has told me about people who come into the store where she works, people around 70 and 80, who want to know where you can buy film for 35mm cameras.

"They're not sold in stores, if you are going to find any, they'd possibly be online. Maybe."
"I don't like using the computer!!  There has to be a way to get film!  I don't want to have to use one of those digital cameras!!  I don't know how to use them!"
"Well you just can't buy the film in stores, I'm sorry.  The only thing you can do is buy disposable cameras if you don't want to use a digital."
"But that's throwing away money!" 

What bugs her the most is they use their age as an excuse to be against this newfangled technology.  Now my friend is in her mid 50's, and an "aunt" of hers, who is late 80's or early 90's, I don't remember, uses Facebook, email, has a nice digital camera and a nice cell phone, all of which she uses often and is really good at working them all. 

My MIL, who is also in her mid 50's, is one of these people.  Doesn't even have an email address, whines about having a digital camera and won't use a computer.  Her sister is the same way and she's not even 50 yet.  Yanno, I can get being slow to adapt to cell phone technology, as I still don't have a smart phone and just fairly recently decided I want one.  But there comes a point where you can only fight against the progress so much. Computers are here to stay, might as well learn to use one.  No one said you have to be yoked to it, but they do come in handy.

Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5856 on: November 27, 2012, 10:32:21 PM »
My FIL is like that.  Refuses to acknowledge that every time he gives someone a credit card, he deals with computers.

And then there are my parents.  Mom is 87, Dad is 92.

When my sister was interviewing the Assisted Living place where they now live, she made their brains hurt when she told them that each of these very old people had their own computers and would need internet access.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #5857 on: November 28, 2012, 07:25:07 AM »
My DH made my brain hurt yesterday.  I normally call him a bit after 4 pm, when I get off work, to find out if he's already off, just getting off, or if he'll be at work later, so I can plan dinner and such.  It's important that this is the reason I call him.

I call him at 4:10 pm, no answer.  I call again at 4:28 pm, no answer.  I switch to his work cell phone, call and talk to him.  I ask him why he didn't answer before.  He said, "Well, I was going to call you when I got off work".  ???  I told him "Well, I don't know when you're getting off".  He said, "I was going to call you when I got off, so you'd know then".  I said, "You've been done with work anytime between 3:30 and 6 pm in the past, so I don't know when you'll be done each particular day".  DH replied, "But I'll call you when I'm done, so then you know".  ???  Getting a call anywhere between 3:30 and 6 pm isn't exactly helpful when I'm trying to figure out when supper needs to be ready, or if we'll have time to work on a house project afterwards.  ::)

aka

« Reply #5858 on: November 28, 2012, 09:01:29 AM »
I was at Panera and had this mind boggling exchange (to the best of my recollection)

Me: I would like a large frozen caramel
Worker: We don't have a large frozen
Me: Hm... really?  I know I've ordered it before.
Worker: No, there is only one standard size.
Me: (baffled) okay, I guess...
Worker: well you can get the 20 oz
Me: Wait what
Worker: its an add on
Me:  so it's larger... but it's not a large.  So what is it called?
Worker: It's not called anything
Me: (gives up) okay... I'll have that....

I'm pretty sure she was a manager too, which meant that when I had some spectacularly bad service yesterday, I did the online survey instead of complaining directly to her.

sourwolf

« Reply #5859 on: November 28, 2012, 09:04:31 AM »
I was at Panera and had this mind boggling exchange (to the best of my recollection)

I'm pretty sure she was a manager too, which meant that when I had some spectacularly bad service yesterday, I did the online survey instead of complaining directly to her.

I don't think that was "spectacularly bad service" she was trying to explain that they don't call it "large" because there is only one size.  The only reason you would need to specify that something was large is if there was a medium or small available as well.

dawbs

« Reply #5860 on: November 28, 2012, 09:08:37 AM »

I don't think that was "spectacularly bad service" she was trying to explain that they don't call it "large" because there is only one size.  The only reason you would need to specify that something was large is if there was a medium or small available as well.
But, if I'm reading this right,  it's not the only size...you can get an 'add on' to bring it up to a 20 oz

aka

« Reply #5861 on: November 28, 2012, 09:15:24 AM »

But, if I'm reading this right,  it's not the only size...you can get an 'add on' to bring it up to a 20 oz

dawbs is correct - there is a standard size and then there is a larger size, not to be confused with a large, because that is not what they call it.  Never mind that I have been ordering it as a large for probably over 10 years now.

And just to clarify, this was not the spectacularly bad service - it was another encounter that I didn't bother complaining about to management.  I will share it in another thread when I get the chance.

sourwolf

« Reply #5862 on: November 28, 2012, 09:17:57 AM »

Ah, sorry I misread that as the 20oz being the size she could get but that it was an add on to the  meal, like instead of a soda she could get the frozen caramel.

EmmaJ.

« Reply #5863 on: November 28, 2012, 09:26:58 AM »

Ah, sorry I misread that as the 20oz being the size she could get but that it was an add on to the  meal, like instead of a soda she could get the frozen caramel.

This is all hurting my brain......    ;D

Adelaide

« Reply #5864 on: November 28, 2012, 10:36:39 AM »
I went to a drive-thru and had no idea about their sizes but knew that I wanted the smallest coffee they had. I hurt the cashier's brain.

Me: "I'll take the smallest size coffee you have, black."

Him: "Uh...you'll take what size coffee?"

Me: "Small? Tall? The smallest one you have."

Him: "Well our coffee comes in Regular, Medium, and Large."

Me: "The Regular."