Author Topic: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt  (Read 1006978 times)

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
Re: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt
« Reply #5985 on: December 03, 2012, 01:12:40 PM »
I would want to meet the friend, if I hadn't already, but otherwise?  Have a good time but you'd better take me out for a nice dinner some other time.  And don't give me any grief if I want to go out with the 'boys' - my skiing buddy comes to mind.  We ski once a week or so through the winter, conditions permitting.  Fortunately, his wife is very secure and has no problem with it.  She and I have hung out, without him, occasionally, too.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #5986 on: December 03, 2012, 01:14:10 PM »
Me personally, I'd be all "win me something good" and settling in with my copy of The Sims 3 and maybe some RuPaul's Drag Race on Netflix(things that are harder to enjoy with Simkin around). But I'm a homebody like that.

Ditto (change a few of the likes an hobbies that is), especially because this is a tradition kind of thing. Further, this is a random Saturday night, not a holiday or birthday or big event. I think the girlfriend needs to get over it and let her boyfriend have a fun night out without her.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

NyaChan

« Reply #5987 on: December 03, 2012, 01:16:38 PM »
I see it differently - he is acting as another woman's date for a night.  I can understand why that would make someone uncomfortable especially since he didn't bother to check in with her first, not to ask permission but to explain and see how it would make her feel.  Instead he just went and announced it like it was a done deal and depending on how long they've been dating (I guess seriousness would trump length though), that's not cool.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5988 on: December 03, 2012, 01:22:25 PM »
I see it differently - he is acting as another woman's date for a night.  I can understand why that would make someone uncomfortable especially since he didn't bother to check in with her first, not to ask permission but to explain and see how it would make her feel.  Instead he just went and announced it like it was a done deal and depending on how long they've been dating (I guess seriousness would trump length though), that's not cool.

That's true - I would have like to know ahead of time with some explanation, rather than it being sprung on me.  I don't expect to have any say in it but would like to be informed.  'Honey, for many years, I've accompanied friend to her Christmas party.  I'd like to continue to do that, if you're OK with it.'

But a partner who told me to choose between him and my friends?  Don't let the door hit you on the way out.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

PeterM

« Reply #5989 on: December 03, 2012, 01:33:12 PM »

Yeah, it sounds to me mostly like he handled it badly. If he'd said that he and his friend had a standing date every year and that he both wants to go and doesn't want to leave her pseudo-date-less, I think most people would understand even if they're not crazy about it.

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #5990 on: December 03, 2012, 02:00:22 PM »
If my DH, who until recently was BF then DF, had said to me (or said now) "this is how it is!" I'd be annoyed.  If he came to me and said "hey this is what I've done and what I'd like to do do," I'd be fine with it.  Its holiday season, which means its party season and high-stress season and presuming they both work full time, Saturday nights are a 'premium' evening, so I think the Girlfriend deserved some thought and consideration, and ample advanced notice.  I would think this way even if he was going with a guy friend or even a relative.

RooRoo

• Iím out of my mind. Please leave a message.
« Reply #5991 on: December 03, 2012, 02:11:02 PM »
I'm only up to page 72 so far, but just had to add this.

The phone just rang, a minute ago. The number shows as "unknown," but I have to answer those, since that's what shows when DH calls from work, or when they call for him.

Me: Hello?
Her: (As a greeting) Hey!
Me: Who is this?
Her: What's up?
Me: Who is this?
Her: Are you getting over here? (Nicely, but implying that I am late for something.)
Me, a bit impatiently: Who IS this?
Her: Oh... Uh... Oh... *click*
"Someday we must write a book of Etiquette for sensible people," said Mrs. Morland, "though apart from a few rules it really boils down to an educated mind and a kind heart." ~ Angela Thirkell, Never Too Late

LadyJaneinMD

« Reply #5992 on: December 03, 2012, 02:25:47 PM »

That's true - I would have like to know ahead of time with some explanation, rather than it being sprung on me.  I don't expect to have any say in it but would like to be informed.  'Honey, for many years, I've accompanied friend to her Christmas party.  I'd like to continue to do that, if you're OK with it.'

But a partner who told me to choose between him and my friends?  Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

I had a boyfriend who had many female friends.  I had many male friends.  it was just fine with both of us, because we understood each other.

Then one day, the phone rang and it was an old friend of his from high school. I said, 'Oh sure! I'll tell him you called. He'd love to see you!'.

He dumped me for her.   Yes folks, I set up the DATE that my boyfriend dumped me for.  What a life.

RooRoo

• Iím out of my mind. Please leave a message.
« Reply #5993 on: December 03, 2012, 02:30:27 PM »
I don't believe it! She called back!

Me: Hello?
Her: (garbled)
Me: I don't know who you are calling, but it's NOT ME.
Her: Listen, I have to go (garbled) so can you just leave the door...
Me (Rudely interrupting) YOU HAVE THE WRONG NUMBER!
Her: But I just...
Me (Rudely interrupting again) YOU HAVE THE WRONG NUMBER! I suggest you LOOK UP THE RIGHT ONE!

I now suspect that she was drunk.

The only excuse I can come up with for my rudeness is that I've been quite sick, and though feeling better, I'm still running a fever and have a headache. Also that it had become obvious that her ears were not connecting to her brain. So, I yelled. Time will tell... (RooRoo looks at the phone as if it were some kind of slimy alien)
"Someday we must write a book of Etiquette for sensible people," said Mrs. Morland, "though apart from a few rules it really boils down to an educated mind and a kind heart." ~ Angela Thirkell, Never Too Late

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5994 on: December 03, 2012, 02:56:25 PM »

I agree, I think I handled it badly. I don't mind DH having a female friend or two, but if he told me "Hey, I'm going to do this on this date without first checking to make sure I didn't have any plans for that night, or how I felt, I would NOT be very happy with him at all.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Iris

« Reply #5995 on: December 03, 2012, 03:31:30 PM »
When we were dating DH had a 'friend' who kept asking him to do 'friend' things. I was fine with it - we both have friends of the opposite sex - until it became obvious that she was trying to get him to dump me and go out with her. She continued to keep in contact with him via phone until I realised that she was using these phone calls to encourage him to tell her all about any problems that he had with me. Then I did issue an ultimatum, a very dramatic 'your friend or me' type thing. So cliche, I know  ::).

So I'm torn on the Christmas party thing. If it is *just* a party plus a rather tactless mishandling and there is nothing else, then I think an ultimatum of 'the party or me' is OTT and I would say that maybe it's time to break up. If there is more to the story or if the girlfriend has an experience like mine in her past that makes her extra suspicious, then I would say they still need to work on their communication skills for sure.
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

Shalamar

« Reply #5996 on: December 03, 2012, 03:33:19 PM »
Yeah, I think part of the issue with my male co-worker is that he's been single for so long, he's gotten into a lot of habits - and he often doesn't see any reason to alter those habits in any way.  Another example is that his mother used to live with him.  About a year ago (before he and Girlfriend started dating), Mom moved out to go live with Sister.  It didn't work out (Mom and Sister don't get along that well), so Mom moved back in with him recently.

Apparently, he just kind of announced it to Girlfriend like "Oh, by the way, Mom lives with me now."  Girlfriend was furious.  Male Co-worker was once again puzzled.   After all, he and Girlfriend weren't even living together - why did she care?  Except that, as I've mentioned, he and Girlfriend are planning to get married in a year or two.  It apparently never occurred to him that Girlfriend wouldn't be thrilled to share a roof with her mother-in-law.

Iris

« Reply #5997 on: December 03, 2012, 03:38:09 PM »
^ A man who has his mother living with him, apparently forever, doesn't think a girlfriend should cause him to alter his life in any way, up to and including going out with other women, and also sees no reason to consult his (serious) girlfriend on life altering decisions?

Sounds like a catch. Yeah, I'm betting that this fight is over waaaaaaaaay more than the party and he just doesn't realise it.
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

ica171

• Must Add Fabric Softener
« Reply #5998 on: December 03, 2012, 03:52:55 PM »
^ A man who has his mother living with him, apparently forever, doesn't think a girlfriend should cause him to alter his life in any way, up to and including going out with other women, and also sees no reason to consult his (serious) girlfriend on life altering decisions?

Sounds like a catch. Yeah, I'm betting that this fight is over waaaaaaaaay more than the party and he just doesn't realise it.

Now that I've read all the replies, I agree with this. On the surface, if it was my DH and it happened now, after we've been together for ten years, I'd be fine with it. If I were this woman, in that stage in her relationship with that guy, with all those other issues, I'd have a big problem.

Shalamar

« Reply #5999 on: December 03, 2012, 04:00:11 PM »
Apparently she's now trying to get him to attend counselling sessions with her.  I'm not holding my breath!