Author Topic: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt  (Read 1053087 times)

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
Re: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt
« Reply #6000 on: December 03, 2012, 04:01:55 PM »
The party as an isolated incident?  She would be overreacting, IMO.  But with the additional backstory?  Yeah, she's got a case.

Iris, I agree with you that if my 'friend' was interested in me and making it obvious to my partner, then I wouldn't boot him for giving me an ultimatum and would likely drop the friend, rather than the boyfriend.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #6001 on: December 03, 2012, 04:14:13 PM »
I see it differently - he is acting as another woman's date for a night.  I can understand why that would make someone uncomfortable especially since he didn't bother to check in with her first, not to ask permission but to explain and see how it would make her feel.  Instead he just went and announced it like it was a done deal and depending on how long they've been dating (I guess seriousness would trump length though), that's not cool.

That's true - I would have like to know ahead of time with some explanation, rather than it being sprung on me.  I don't expect to have any say in it but would like to be informed.  'Honey, for many years, I've accompanied friend to her Christmas party.  I'd like to continue to do that, if you're OK with it.'

But a partner who told me to choose between him and my friends?  Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Exactly - for me it's more about the attitude than anything else. "So I usually go to this Christmas party with Female Friend every year as her +1. This year the party is on December X - do you have any objections to me continuing the tradition?" would likely get a "Have fun, win something good!" from me, but "I'm going to be busy on December X so I can go to a party as Other Girl's date." indicates a lack of thought and consideration and may be symptomatic of larger concerns within the relationship.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Shalamar

« Reply #6002 on: December 03, 2012, 04:36:51 PM »
I guess I should be fair and say that, since I wasn't there, I have no idea how he broached the subject of the party.  Given what I know about this guy, I wouldn't mind betting that it was a case of "I'm busy Saturday night because I'm going to Cassandra's party as her plus-one, have a nice night!", but I don't know that for sure.

On the other hand - it does seem like Girlfriend has issues, trust and jealousy among them.  A while back he posted a somewhat racy picture on his Facebook page.  She gave him heck because "I show my Facebook stuff to my kids, and I don't want want them seeing that!"  Her "kids" are the teenagers that she teaches.  I have no idea why she's showing them anything on Facebook - that sounds a bit weird to me.  Not to mention the fact that his Facebook page is his, and he's entitled to put anything he wants on it.

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #6003 on: December 03, 2012, 04:43:52 PM »
I see it differently - he is acting as another woman's date for a night.  I can understand why that would make someone uncomfortable especially since he didn't bother to check in with her first, not to ask permission but to explain and see how it would make her feel.  Instead he just went and announced it like it was a done deal and depending on how long they've been dating (I guess seriousness would trump length though), that's not cool.

That's true - I would have like to know ahead of time with some explanation, rather than it being sprung on me.  I don't expect to have any say in it but would like to be informed.  'Honey, for many years, I've accompanied friend to her Christmas party.  I'd like to continue to do that, if you're OK with it.'

But a partner who told me to choose between him and my friends?  Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

True, but he forced that issue in the first place. She was told "take this" and I don't blame her one bit for responding with an ultimatum. Personally, *she* should be the one walking away right now, since he couldn't be bothered to give her the least bit of consideration in this.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #6004 on: December 03, 2012, 05:03:30 PM »

Not in my world. I don't ask Gish for permission to do things, and i do not expect him to, either. It has worked for 10+ really happy years so far. As i have said before, though, i think we are probably a lot more ... liberal? ... than most, so what works there may not work for everyone.  :) I am quite sure we have caused others some brain hurty moments now and then.

It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #6005 on: December 03, 2012, 06:39:27 PM »

Not in my world. I don't ask Gish for permission to do things, and i do not expect him to, either. It has worked for 10+ really happy years so far. As i have said before, though, i think we are probably a lot more ... liberal? ... than most, so what works there may not work for everyone.  :) I am quite sure we have caused others some brain hurty moments now and then.

It's worked for 3 years for us, too.

Me:  Hey, I'm going to a party with Male Friend on the 8th, it's kind of a tradition.
Him:  Oh, I thought we'd go see a movie that night, but it's OK.
Me:  Do you want to go see it tonight instead?
Him: Sure.

OR

Me:  Hey, I'm going to a party with Male Friend on the 8th, it's kind of a tradition.
Him:  I'd rather you not.
Me:  OK, why?  Let's talk about this.

An OTT ultimatum is completely not necessary.  Instead of throwing a hissy fit because he's doing something without her, they should talk about why this is upsetting her.  As far as the whole mom moving back in thing, it's his house.  If she has a problem with his mom living in his house because she may live there one day, she can suggest they move into a completely different place or request that his mom move out when she moves in.  Until then, it's his house.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6006 on: December 03, 2012, 08:06:52 PM »
DH had a female friend in college that I really didn't like from the start, but that may have been because she said "oh he is so cute, you're so lucky, I wish we could clone him!" He told me that when he was doing the on and off thing with his ex gf, this friend was only ever interested when he and ex gf were together. Anytime he was free, she wasn't interested. 

That he continued to be her friend until 2 years ago is simply because he really doesn't like to give up on friendships and for the longest time he didn't see that she was still trying to get him cause he's one of those guys that doesn't realize a girl's hitting on him until her lips are on his.  It finally clicked when she tried to get him to put her money in his bank account so she could leave her husband eventually. 

Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Decimus

« Reply #6007 on: December 04, 2012, 12:59:52 PM »
I had this happen this past weekend.  My fiancée and I were talking to my mother and mentioned fiancee was thinking of taking my last name, but perhaps just socially (she's an established professional).

My mother strongly said my fiancee should NOT change her name legally, just socially.  Apparently my mother changed her name for her first marriage, but for her second marriage (to my dad) she kept her name.  Apparently the bar association (mom is a lawyer) STILL has her down as "Firstname Lastname Firsthusbandsname" because they wanted the divorce decree to make it an official change and it was a foreign divorce decree.

That was probably around 40 years ago.  My mother can prove she was married and divorced a SECOND time in the interval, but the bar association continues to list her by her first husband's name.  My brain hurts!  LOL

ETA: fixed typo
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 03:42:23 PM by Decimus »

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #6008 on: December 04, 2012, 02:01:17 PM »
I had this happen this past weekend.  My financee and I were talking to my mother and mentioned fiancee was thinking of taking my last name, but perhaps just socially (she's an established professional).

Do you support her? :D

Decimus

« Reply #6009 on: December 04, 2012, 03:41:40 PM »
I had this happen this past weekend.  My fiancee and I were talking to my mother and mentioned fiancee was thinking of taking my last name, but perhaps just socially (she's an established professional).

Do I support my fiancée?  Well I support her decision whatever she chooses.  Do I support her financially?  That's another brain-hurt moment.  She makes more than I do (quite a bit more) but her parents are in a snit because I don't make enough to support her if I worked and she didn't.  Apparently her parents are stuck in 1950.

Hillia

« Reply #6010 on: December 04, 2012, 04:00:21 PM »
I had this happen this past weekend.  My fiancee and I were talking to my mother and mentioned fiancee was thinking of taking my last name, but perhaps just socially (she's an established professional).

Do I support my fiancée?  Well I support her decision whatever she chooses.  Do I support her financially?  That's another brain-hurt moment.  She makes more than I do (quite a bit more) but her parents are in a snit because I don't make enough to support her if I worked and she didn't.  Apparently her parents are stuck in 1950.

I think there was a misreading of 'fiancee' to 'financee' - i.e., someone you finance. That was the joke...the poster wasn't asking for details on your relationship.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #6011 on: December 04, 2012, 04:07:28 PM »
I had this happen this past weekend.  My financee and I were talking to my mother and mentioned fiancee was thinking of taking my last name, but perhaps just socially (she's an established professional).

Lady_disdain was making a joke out of your typo.  I know you saw the typo because you corrected it.

BTW - Many people, not just parents who are "stuck in 1950" would prefer that their child marry someone who can support said child and a family.  This is because many people believe it is better for children to be raised by one full-time parent, at least until the children start school.  If your fiancee plans to work while you stay home and raise the children, that is a perfectly reasonable approach.  Have you told her parents of your plans?  I make more money than my DH.  I always have, even before he was permanently disabled.  Our plan was for me to work and him to stay home until the children started school.  We were not able to have children, so the whole discussion was moot, but we had a plan.  Maybe if you discuss your plans and backup plans with your fiancee, then she can tell her parents, "Don't worry, we have plans and contingencies.  We won't need support from you to raise your grandchildren."

Maybe your future in-laws are "stuck in 1950" and believe that one qualification for a man to marry their daughter is that he make oodles of moolah.  Lucky for you, their daughter does not believe that and she chose you. ;)
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

Syfygeek

« Reply #6012 on: December 04, 2012, 04:09:36 PM »
Would this make your brain hurt?

I come back from lunch, and boss comes back from meeting.  He says Jane Doe from OtherPlace is calling me about a fax they're sending.  I check voice mail, and there is a message from Jane Doe- says she was talking to Boss and he told her to call me to get our fax number, would I email or call her with it.  This is the same number it's been for 6 years.  The same number it's been on his business cards, letterhead and e-mail signature for 6 years.

I email her the fax number- and since she's been on a committee here until last month, it's the same fax number she's had on her contact list for 6 years, and in the signature block of the e-mail I sent her this morning.

I keep thinking I missed something, and maybe there's a super secret fax number they don't know?
That's my purse! I don't know you!

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #6013 on: December 04, 2012, 09:05:49 PM »
I had a brain hurty conversation today (although, I've had a terrible headache for the past two days, so really all conversations made my brain literally hurt!).  Person calls in, I pull her up in our system.

Me: So I show you're approved through *x date* and we need more information from *y person* to look at extending that date...
Her: Why don't I got a paycheck then?
Me: Since *x date* has already passed, we need additional information to try and extend your approval.
Her: I ain't got no paycheck for *x date*, when you sending my money?
Me: I'm sorry, we don't send payment out, that's done through your employer.  You would need to ask them about that.
Her: Dat ain't what they say!  They say you do it!
Me: I'm sorry, we don't send you checks.  Any money comes from your employer.  We tell them what dates you're approved for and...
Her: They said you send it out!
Me: I'm sorry, we don't.
Her: I'mma report you to them! (hangs up phone)

I...what....I....
Who is she going to report us to?  And for what?  Who is the mysterious "they"?  So many questions, never to be answered!

2littlemonkeys

« Reply #6014 on: December 04, 2012, 10:36:35 PM »
Would this make your brain hurt?

I come back from lunch, and boss comes back from meeting.  He says Jane Doe from OtherPlace is calling me about a fax they're sending.  I check voice mail, and there is a message from Jane Doe- says she was talking to Boss and he told her to call me to get our fax number, would I email or call her with it.  This is the same number it's been for 6 years.  The same number it's been on his business cards, letterhead and e-mail signature for 6 years.

I email her the fax number- and since she's been on a committee here until last month, it's the same fax number she's had on her contact list for 6 years, and in the signature block of the e-mail I sent her this morning.

I keep thinking I missed something, and maybe there's a super secret fax number they don't know?

I don't know but I bet they're related to a former coworker of mine who would send me:

an entire body of an email she wanted to send

the name and email address of the person it needed to go to

and the instructions of "Hey 2LM, could you send this email out for me?"

I think she might have been unclear on the concept.