Author Topic: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt  (Read 1039300 times)

Virg

• Super Hero!
Re: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt
« Reply #6060 on: December 07, 2012, 01:03:00 PM »
sevenday wrote:

"Pierot, I get that - but the op says she had about $10 of gas, and "usually writes a check for 5 or 10 over."  So if she had $10 of gas and wanted $5 change, wrote a check for $15, and gave that to the clerk... clerk then enters it into the computer as $15, the till balances as long as the $5 is given to the customer.  So I'm not seeing the brain hurt here yet."

I think the "enters" part is confused here.  hjaye said she entered $15.00 and I took that to mean she entered a fifteen dollar purchase when he'd only bought ten dollars of gas, so the till would expect $15.00 to balance.  She gives back five and that throws off the till.

Virg

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #6061 on: December 07, 2012, 01:05:22 PM »
WolfWench wrote:

"It was meant to be "relook the hover on the questions"."

OK, with that clarification, it makes my brain hurt.  Relook?  I can see why autocorrect tried to fix that.

Virg
My brain still hurts. I understand the "hover" part, but what the heck does "relook" mean? I thought it was a typo and you meant to write "rehook" which would reconnect the hover function to the popup help.  Then again, I'm not in IT and many things about computers confuse me. :-[
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

Seraphia

• Unabashed cat person
« Reply #6062 on: December 07, 2012, 02:24:13 PM »
Pierot, I get that - but the op says she had about $10 of gas, and "usually writes a check for 5 or 10 over."  So if she had $10 of gas and wanted $5 change, wrote a check for $15, and gave that to the clerk... clerk then enters it into the computer as $15, the till balances as long as the $5 is given to the customer.  So I'm not seeing the brain hurt here yet.

From my gas staion experience (working) your till would come up $5 short.  If you enter $15, but give $5 back, you only net $10 in the till because of the change given out. And if this was a gas transaction, the total would not give the option of change, so according to the till records there would be $15 going in but nothing going out (as change).

If the clerk rang up $10 in gas and input payment as $15 then the till would be correct. But I took it that she was saying the clerk rang up the sale as $15 and input the payment as $15 and gave her $5 back. That would indeed make the clerk's drawer $5 short.

It also depends on the balancing system for the register. When I worked retail, we had to match checks to individual values on the balance tape, and cash was separate. You couldn't write out a check for more than the amount and get the balance back in cash because it would mess up both the cash and check reconciliations.
Ancora Imparo - I am still learning

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #6063 on: December 07, 2012, 02:27:32 PM »
I have cross-posted this to Professional Darwinism thread.  I just had a completely mind-boggling experience at a local fast food place.

I drove up to the drive thru, which was not terribly busy.  Please note that on the drive-thru menu, a number 6 is listed as a chicken sandwich.  I had to wait at the drive through speaker for several minutes, occasionally asking, "Hello?"  and hearing no response.  I was about to pull through and leave when the attendant finally answered. I asked for a number 6, which again, was listed as a chicken sandwich meal with a Coke. 

The attendant said, "OK, a double cheeseburger combo and a Coke?"

I said, "No, ma'am, a number 6, a chicken sandwich with a Coke, please."

"A number 6 is a double cheeseburger combo, honey." She replied in a rather snotty tone.

"According to your menu, it's a chicken sandwich," I said.

"Well, that's wrong," she said.

"OK, could I please have whatever combo includes a chicken sandwich?" I asked.

Already a little irritated because I was sucked into pretty pointless sandwich debate, I pulled forward and paid for my meal.  I paid with a $10 and was supposed to receive $3.97 in change.   Rude Attendant, the same one I'd been talking to earlier, handed me $.97 in change, without a word, and then turned her back on me to talk to one of her coworkers.  When she reached out to hand me my drink, I said, "Ma'am, I paid with a a $10, I have $3 in change due."   

"Well, I've already shut the register drawer," she said, rolling her eyes.

One of her coworkers overheard this exchange and offered her the register key.  Rude Attendant realized the coworker had overheard and said, "Yeah, I took her $3.  She caught me.  I'm trying to steal a whopping $3 from her."  in this loud, sarcastic voice and laughed really loud, like I was a completely ridiculous person for wanting my change back.  At the point, I had my Icily Polite Face on and was composing a complaint letter in my head.

Rude Attendant handed me my bag of food.  I checked the bag and saw my sandwich, so I pulled away, only to hear, "WAIT!"   Rude Attendant had put my sandwich on top of items that belonged in an order another employee was putting together.  I had to hand my bag back to Rude Attendant so she could straighten it out.  At this point, I was holding my tongue because I was REALLY afraid I would say something horribly rude.

Rude Attendant shoved the bag toward me. I took it, without checking it (my fault) and when I got home, I realized that  Rude Attendant still ended up giving me the wrong bag.  I ended up with a double cheeseburger afterall. (Facepalm.)

I don't think I'm going to bother with a letter to management, because there's no chance I'm ever going back to this restaurant.  Somewhere around the change issue, I started wondering whether I was on one of those "What Would You Do?" shows on ABC.

Wow.  Such complete ineptitude and contempt for fellow human beings.  I really, truly hope this person was new, because I hate to think about someone with that attitude and aptitude having consistent long-term employment.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #6064 on: December 07, 2012, 03:03:01 PM »
I just made my own head hurt... in my defense, my sinuses have been acting up all week.

I looked away from the screen, looked back, and saw the post below for the first time.

I read it as "Whenever I would stop at the local 7-11 for foie gras..."

HUH????  :P

I just remembered this one from many years ago.

Whenever I would stop at the local 7-11 for gas, I would always write a check and make it for five or ten dollars over the amount so I could have some cash for the day.  I had stopped and bought gas, say ten dollars worth and wrote the check for fifteen dollars.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

hjaye

« Reply #6065 on: December 07, 2012, 03:56:12 PM »
Regarding the 7-11 check one, but if you had $10 gas and $5 back and the check was for $15, it would balance correctly in the register when she gave you the $5 bill. Or did you mean that she wrote that the cash back was $15 and not 5?

Yes but it was just a ten dollar sale.  She could input that she was given fifteen dollars and five dollars came back to me as change, but she was ringing it up as a fifteen dollar sale, but still giving me back my five dollars in cash.

pierrotlunaire0

• I'm the cat's aunt!
« Reply #6066 on: December 07, 2012, 04:19:26 PM »
I guess the point I was trying to make is that it kind of depends on the cash register/computer system that you are recording the sale in.  Perhaps the clerk was doing it the way she has to to make it work.  ?
I have enough lithium in my medicine cabinet to power three cars across a sizeable desert.  Which makes me officially...Three Cars Crazy

dawnfire

« Reply #6067 on: December 07, 2012, 07:13:35 PM »
WolfWench wrote:

OK, with that clarification, it makes my brain hurt.  Relook?  I can see why autocorrect tried to fix that.

Virg
My brain still hurts. I understand the "hover" part, but what the heck does "relook" mean? I thought it was a typo and you meant to write "rehook" which would reconnect the hover function to the popup help.  Then again, I'm not in IT and many things about computers confuse me. :-[

relook mean to check again. usually to check for faults or errors.

sevenday

« Reply #6068 on: December 07, 2012, 08:06:10 PM »
This is a case where I think I will just have to agree that it really depends on what sort of accounting system the store uses, and let it go. :)

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #6069 on: December 07, 2012, 11:00:11 PM »
WolfWench wrote:

Virg

relook mean to check again. usually to check for faults or errors.
Aha! That makes sense to me.  Check the "hover" function for the "question" drop down menu.  Of course, it's so obvious.  How could I missed that? ;D
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #6070 on: December 08, 2012, 08:12:58 AM »
This is more of a funny brain-hurt. Car-pool buddy and I were on the way home from work today, and he asked if I needed to do any shopping. I said no. He didn't either, as he had done 'his big grocery shop' yesterday - seven cans of cashews.

I just about fell over laughing. Seriously, that's IT? For the whole week?? Seven cans of cashews?!!?

As it turns out, he also bought egg-nog, chips and a pie. No, he isn't having a party. That was what he wanted to eat. :P
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #6071 on: December 08, 2012, 09:57:06 AM »
A literal brain hurt.   One morning my middle son (10) came downstairs saying "My brain hurts!"  (yes, I did say "It will have to come out!")

The part that hurt my brain? He insisted it was NOT a headache, just that his brain hurt.  Um, what do you think a headache is, kiddo? He was holding his head and everything.

My sister said this a couple of times to our mom as a preteen. Sis was starting to have migraines, so it wasn't a headache because the pain was so much worse.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
  • ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
« Reply #6072 on: December 08, 2012, 02:50:53 PM »
This is more of a funny brain-hurt. Car-pool buddy and I were on the way home from work today, and he asked if I needed to do any shopping. I said no. He didn't either, as he had done 'his big grocery shop' yesterday - seven cans of cashews.

I just about fell over laughing. Seriously, that's IT? For the whole week?? Seven cans of cashews?!!?

As it turns out, he also bought egg-nog, chips and a pie. No, he isn't having a party. That was what he wanted to eat. :P

Yum!  I guess he is not pregnant, and maybe once in a while that is ok?  If he drinks that with juice or has fruit, and maybe frozen veggies...
Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #6073 on: December 08, 2012, 04:45:44 PM »

Yum!  I guess he is not pregnant, and maybe once in a while that is ok?  If he drinks that with juice or has fruit, and maybe frozen veggies...

LOL! No. He does eat some decent food, but he's not much for veggies - I tease him about his addiction to pie and all things sugary. The sudden cashew addiction threw me off.

The other minor brain-hurt was that he decided to buy seven cans because he bought five the week before and it wasn't enough to last. He ate them ALL. ???
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

Shalamar

« Reply #6074 on: December 08, 2012, 04:53:36 PM »
I used to have a coworker who complained about how much money he spent on food.  It turned out that he ate out ALL THE TIME - breakfast, lunch, and dinner.   I was like "Well, duh - if you buy groceries and cook them yourself, you'll save a fortune."

A week later, he said proudly "You were so right!  I bought all my food from a grocery store this week, and it was a lot cheaper.".  His store of choice?  7/11.  (Which, for anyone who doesn't know, is a convenience store chain that has a pretty limited stock and charges a heckuva lot more than "regular" grocery stores.).  Ah well, baby steps, I guess.

The kicker, though, is that we both worked in the I.T. department of Safeway - a major grocery store chain!