Author Topic: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt  (Read 1072812 times)

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
Re: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt
« Reply #6135 on: December 11, 2012, 08:30:57 PM »
There are small and relatively inexpensive sound-activated recorders.  Maybe you could buy or rent one of those for a few nights?  Some are even equipped with built in clocks that turn on and show the time and duration of the noise.

POD to this.  I bought one online when I was living in an apartment underneath a herd of horny elephants.  I'm going to see if I can find it and send you a link to buy one yourself.  It was pretty cheap at the time, even for a poor student like me.

ica171

• Must Add Fabric Softener
« Reply #6136 on: December 11, 2012, 08:49:35 PM »
I have filed complaints, which presents another brain-hurty situation itself. See, an employee of the building has to hear the noise before they'll file a complaint. So if the noise lasts all of 30 seconds and an employee comes in and doesn't hear anything...no dice. I've tried filming it but a) it's so sporadic that I can't get a camera up in time and b) my iPhone camera isn't that great quality. It's more of the fact that it's a thudding/thumping that rattles things than the actual volume.

Would it count for anything that she admitted to you that she was moving furniture? I assume that's what she meant by "I had just moved my chair," unless she was just saying she had just moved her desk chair to stand up, although I can't imagine that that would be loud enough to wake you.

Adelaide

« Reply #6137 on: December 11, 2012, 09:10:45 PM »
I have been voice recording our conversations. I'm not sure about this state's laws about admissible evidence, but I'm sure the apartment managers would gladly listen to them. PastryGoddess, that would be fabulous. I might rig one to the ceiling.

When she last left, she seemed sufficiently upset at the thought that I will not back off on banging on the ceiling. I'm hoping that will be enough to discourage her from being noisy, but you never know.

LB

« Reply #6138 on: December 12, 2012, 02:25:38 PM »
Yet another one from work. Answering calls is giving me a lot of fodder for this folder.

Me: Good morning, [company name]
Caller: Air Force.
Me: Pardon?
Caller: Is this Wal-Mart?
Me: No, this is [company name]
Caller: Oh. Wrong number.

So...was he trying to call Wal-Mart? Or the Air Force? So similar... ;D

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #6139 on: December 12, 2012, 02:51:57 PM »
I did something the other day that would probably *almost* make somebody's brain hurt!  I was calling several stores looking for an item.  I had to try a couple of stores several times, because nobody would pick up the phone or it was busy.  So at one store, I finished talking to somebody and got the information I wanted and went to add it to the Notepad document where I was taking notes and... realized I didn't remember what store I was talking to!  It could have been either of the two stores that I was having to call over and over.  I didn't want to make somebody's brain hurt by asking which store I was calling.  :)  So I asked for their address, and used that to verify the store.  Hee hee.

LazyDaisy

« Reply #6140 on: December 12, 2012, 02:53:29 PM »
Yet another one from work. Answering calls is giving me a lot of fodder for this folder.

I can only speculate that WalMart was having a special deal for members of the military...no...OK I got nothing.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

LazyDaisy

« Reply #6141 on: December 12, 2012, 03:01:56 PM »
This thread is so long that I can't remember if I've posted this before... back when I worked at a job that I had to answer phones, I had not 1 but 3 calls within a month where the person (different each time) asked for our...phone number. That was it. I related the story to my SIL at a family dinner and we all laughed at it. Then she had one at her store (completely different industry) within the next month. These calls did not have any indication of being a childish prank. I know that one can connect through operator assistance (411 here in California) but if all you need is the phone number and you call 411 (which usually costs money), just ask them to give you the phone number, not connect you to the business.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #6142 on: December 12, 2012, 04:50:31 PM »

Eagle used to be in the Air Force.  He once got a call at work where when he answered, the person on the other end asked, "Is this the Air Force?"  Eagle answered, "Yes, this is the entire Air Force speaking."
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6143 on: December 12, 2012, 05:11:25 PM »
A friend who works in Target recently complained about rude customers she's run into, namely ones that give her a hard time when she offers the debit or credit redcard and people snap  they're not interested, stop suggesting it! Well she has to, it's part of her job.

One woman really got ticked off and let friend have it.  "I AM NOT GOING TO SIGN UP BECAUSE I DON'T WANT TARGET TO HAVE MY BANK INFO!"  She was saying this as she was writing a check for her purchase.  ::)  Right, cause they'll never guess her bank name and account number that way!
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

LazyDaisy

« Reply #6144 on: December 12, 2012, 05:17:37 PM »
A friend who works in Target recently complained about rude customers she's run into, namely ones that give her a hard time when she offers the debit or credit redcard and people snap  they're not interested, stop suggesting it! Well she has to, it's part of her job.

One woman really got ticked off and let friend have it.  "I AM NOT GOING TO SIGN UP BECAUSE I DON'T WANT TARGET TO HAVE MY BANK INFO!"  She was saying this as she was writing a check for her purchase.  ::)  Right, cause they'll never guess her bank name and account number that way!
I'm always surprised when people have never really paid much attention to the fact that their entire bank account number, bank routing number, name and address are printed on their checks. No one seems to notice all those number thingys at the bottom mean something.

pierrotlunaire0

• I'm the cat's aunt!
« Reply #6145 on: December 12, 2012, 05:18:57 PM »
I know I came close to spraining someone's brain once.  I was extremely tired, and it must have been on my mind, because when the phone at work rang, I picked it up, and said, "Now I lay me down to sleep........This is Pierrot speaking!"

Oh, well.
I have enough lithium in my medicine cabinet to power three cars across a sizeable desert.  Which makes me officially...Three Cars Crazy

cabbagegirl28

• violinp's my sister :)
« Reply #6146 on: December 12, 2012, 05:19:52 PM »

I'm always surprised when people have never really paid much attention to the fact that their entire bank account number, bank routing number, name and address are printed on their checks. No one seems to notice all those number thingys at the bottom mean something.

At least for me, unless I'm studying really closely, they look like inkblots, so I can understand not seeing it. But I was taught that those numbers were on there at least.

Vita brevis, ars longa

mmswm

« Reply #6147 on: December 12, 2012, 05:35:03 PM »
I know I came close to spraining someone's brain once.  I was extremely tired, and it must have been on my mind, because when the phone at work rang, I picked it up, and said, "Now I lay me down to sleep........This is Pierrot speaking!"

Oh, well.

When I was at university, I had a series of temp jobs.  One of those jobs was organizing the service records at a new car dealership (they had computer records, but the paper copies had just been tossed into boxes and my job was to create a filing system for them all).  I liked to get there early, before things got busy and I could work in peace.  Well, one morning, the receptionist for the dealership itself (not the service center) called in sick, and they asked me to cover the phones until they could get somebody else to come in and cover for the absent receptionist.  Well, it was a busy dealership, it was early (7-8am), and I wasn't all that experienced at that job, so I was a little flustered.  Near the end of the hour, I answered a call almost how I was supposed to.  What came out was "Thank you for calling [Car Company] of [City], how may I disconnect your call".  Thankfully, the guy on the other end thought it was hysterical and thanked me for brightening his morning, as I directed his call to the extension he needed.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

BB-VA

« Reply #6148 on: December 12, 2012, 09:26:34 PM »

When my husband needed to order something for his company, he asked the president's secretary for the bank account number (needed to set up an account with the vendor).  She told him it was against company policy to give out the number.  So he said, "Just let me see a check and I can write down the numbers from it."  She said, "The account number is on the check???  Oh my goodness, I have to cut those off.  We can't have that number getting out!!"  So he patiently explained that the bank NEEDED those numbers to process the check.  She finally calmed down.

"The Universe puts us in places where we can learn. They are never easy places, but they are right. Wherever we are, it's the right place and the right time. Pain that sometimes comes is part of the process of constantly being born."
- Delenn to Sheridan: "Babylon 5 - Distant Star"

StuffedGrapeLeaves

« Reply #6149 on: December 12, 2012, 10:12:40 PM »
@StuffedGrapeLeaves:
Is she usually OK with driving in any other situation? My grandparents are now reluctant to drive to my aunt's place (the closest relative they have, almost in the same city) because neither of them feel comfortable driving at night, or in the rain, or in the snow.. anymore - they just never said it like that at first so we didn't understand why they wouldn't visit anymore. Maybe something to consider.

My ILs are still independent and drive themselves all over the place, so that's not the reason.  She is just controlling and can't understand why people won't do what she wants them to do. 

Another brain-hurty courtesy of my MIL:

We were at our house because FIL was helping DH with a project.  MIL came along because she just can't believe that they would do it right without her there (her own words, not mine).  The project took longer than planned and it was close to dinner time, so I said I was going to start preparing dinner.  MIL is very picky about her food, but we had bought some stuff from an Asian supermarket that we know she likes.  MIL got this pouty face when she heard the plan, and suggested that we bring the food and drive back to their house instead.   :o  Let me get this straight - you wanted us to take the food that we already have in our house, drive all the way back to your house (45 minutes away), just to eat dinner there?  When we are already here at our house with the food?  Yeah, wasn't going to happen.  She was unhappy the rest of the night simply because none of us was willing to give in to her crazy plan.