Author Topic: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt  (Read 1047286 times)

nutraxfornerves

Re: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt
« Reply #6150 on: December 13, 2012, 11:41:40 AM »
Spotted on another message board:

[A coworker] told me it's usually a lot cooler outside at this time of year. Except on new years eve, because all the fireworks they shoot off really heats the city up for a day or two.

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

Adelaide

« Reply #6151 on: December 13, 2012, 06:47:18 PM »
My mother just informed me that she wants my brother to unfriend our old youth pastor on Facebook because my brother has two tattoos and has mentioned getting a third in a Facebook status. They aren't vulgar tattoos, but she's convinced that "youths" who have them are automatically unsavory or something.  ??? I told her it must be a Baby Boomer thing, as my generation is more relaxed about tattoos (especially ones that are easily concealed under his uniform). She just kept saying that it "looked bad" and "presented a bad image". She basically wants him to unfriend everyone from our church (and we're not even Jewish or Catholic) and is generally irritated about the very idea of ink on his person.

I didn't have the heart to tell her that I was thinking about suggesting that he and I get matching tattoos. :P
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 06:50:41 PM by Adelaide »

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6152 on: December 13, 2012, 06:51:36 PM »
My mother just informed me that she wants my brother to unfriend our old youth pastor on Facebook because my brother has two tattoos and has mentioned getting a third in a Facebook status. They aren't vulgar tattoos, but she's convinced that "youths" who have them are automatically unsavory or something.  ??? I told her it must be a Baby Boomer thing, as my generation is more relaxed about tattoos (especially ones that are easily concealed under his uniform). She just kept saying that it "looked bad" and "presented a bad image". She basically wants him to unfriend everyone from our church (and we're not even Jewish or Catholic) and is generally irritated about the very idea of ink on his person.

I didn't have the heart to tell her that I was thinking about suggesting that he and I get matching tattoos. :P

Am I missing the part where this relates to the pastor?  :o Or is that the brain-hurty part?  ;D

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #6153 on: December 13, 2012, 06:59:46 PM »

Am I missing the part where this relates to the pastor?  :o Or is that the brain-hurty part?  ;D

I believe the part we are all missing is the brain hurty part

LazyDaisy

« Reply #6154 on: December 13, 2012, 07:08:54 PM »

I'm guessing it's because mother is embarrassed and doesn't want the church pastor to see photos of brother on Facebook, lest he think less of her because the tattoo'd boy is her son.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6155 on: December 13, 2012, 07:20:23 PM »
My mother just informed me that she wants my brother to unfriend our old youth pastor on Facebook because my brother has two tattoos and has mentioned getting a third in a Facebook status. They aren't vulgar tattoos, but she's convinced that "youths" who have them are automatically unsavory or something. ??? I told her it must be a Baby Boomer thing, as my generation is more relaxed about tattoos (especially ones that are easily concealed under his uniform). She just kept saying that it "looked bad" and "presented a bad image". She basically wants him to unfriend everyone from our church (and we're not even Jewish or Catholic) and is generally irritated about the very idea of ink on his person.

I'm guessing it's because mother is embarrassed and doesn't want the church pastor to see photos of brother on Facebook, lest he think less of her because the tattoo'd boy is her son.

Bold in the OP, to me, is the brain-hurty part that I saw.

I agree with LazyDaisy. Yeah. It makes my brain hurt, too. So sad.

Adelaide

« Reply #6156 on: December 13, 2012, 08:09:13 PM »
My mother just informed me that she wants my brother to unfriend our old youth pastor on Facebook because my brother has two tattoos and has mentioned getting a third in a Facebook status. They aren't vulgar tattoos, but she's convinced that "youths" who have them are automatically unsavory or something. ??? I told her it must be a Baby Boomer thing, as my generation is more relaxed about tattoos (especially ones that are easily concealed under his uniform). She just kept saying that it "looked bad" and "presented a bad image". She basically wants him to unfriend everyone from our church (and we're not even Jewish or Catholic) and is generally irritated about the very idea of ink on his person.

Bold in the OP, to me, is the brain-hurty part that I saw.

I agree with LazyDaisy. Yeah. It makes my brain hurt, too. So sad.

The brain-hurty part is that she thinks people in the church will frown upon or think less of my brother for talking about the tattoos....I guess. That's what I've been able to piece together from her explanations. She just offhandedly mentioned to me that it's too bad that he's getting inked up and she is going to ask him to unfriend the youth pastor/people from church. And I could see where, if we were Jewish, it might be an issue as I believe there's a bit in the Torah about no tattoos. But we're not. I think it's just a personal thing for her. But she talks about him having tattoos with the sad, regretful tone people use when a friend's family member died.  ::)

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6157 on: December 13, 2012, 09:09:46 PM »
My boss is full of these things... The other day I sent her an email with the latest draft of my report attached. She saw the email, got up, walked over to my desk, handed me a USB key, and said, "Can you just save it to this key for me?"  :o

She does that all the time. Yes, she sees the email with the attachments. No, there's nothing about the email system that prevents large attachments from working. She would rather have me save it on her key for her, than download it to her key from the email I just sent her. I just don't get it.
~Lynn2000

Snooks

« Reply #6158 on: December 14, 2012, 06:29:42 AM »
I've had two recently, neither of which were exchanges because they didn't require responses.  One was an overheard conversation while out shopping as one lady said to her friend "It's dreadful in schools now, they learn about every other religion's Christmas but they don't touch on Christianity".  The second was a text message which said "Your Christmas card is on the way, now to look for your birthday card", which makes no sense because my birthday was in the middle of the year and if it's in the house and you're sending out a bulk of post why not just send everything together (or just apologise for missing my birthday)?  There is a bit more background to the relationship which makes me think this is some sort of passive aggressive dig but it still makes my brain hurt.

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #6159 on: December 14, 2012, 07:17:49 AM »
I've had two recently, neither of which were exchanges because they didn't require responses.  One was an overheard conversation while out shopping as one lady said to her friend "It's dreadful in schools now, they learn about every other religion's Christmas but they don't touch on Christianity".  The second was a text message which said "Your Christmas card is on the way, now to look for your birthday card", which makes no sense because my birthday was in the middle of the year and if it's in the house and you're sending out a bulk of post why not just send everything together (or just apologise for missing my birthday)?  There is a bit more background to the relationship which makes me think this is some sort of passive aggressive dig but it still makes my brain hurt.

Bro? Is that you?

Dad just sent me a holiday card with a note that went something like "Sorry you can't be bothered to write. Have a Merry Christmas anyway." :-\

Ok, then. I will.
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6160 on: December 14, 2012, 08:42:38 AM »

I can see it, if the mom is convinced it's unsavory she's going to be worried what other people think of her because her child got inked.  My mother was very unhappy when I got inked as she's one who believes only bikers and rednecks/white trash get inked.  It's a nice little tattoo of a green sparrow with two shamrocks in its mouth, both bearing the initials of my first 2 sons, easily covered by long pants and skirts, but while she didn't come out and say it, her distaste was obvious in her expression.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

TurtleDove

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6161 on: December 14, 2012, 09:13:02 AM »
My BF is a pastor and he has a Chi Rho tattoo, and his oldest son has a half sleeve. His congregation has several members with visible tattoos, and I would imagine more with hidden ones. This is the conservative Lutheran Church Missouri Synod!

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6162 on: December 14, 2012, 10:03:52 AM »
My BF is a pastor and he has a Chi Rho tattoo, and his oldest son has a half sleeve. His congregation has several members with visible tattoos, and I would imagine more with hidden ones. This is the conservative Lutheran Church Missouri Synod!

That was my first guess--that the pastor was inked and the mom thought he was a bad influence!  ;D

2littlemonkeys

« Reply #6163 on: December 14, 2012, 11:07:30 AM »
I almost created my own brain hurty moment just now but luckily, I was able to stop the train from going off the tracks.   ;D

One of my coworkers is out sick but has some documents she needs to finish and send to the client.  She called and asked me to send her laptop via messenger service.  No sweat.  Only I got back to my desk and started composing an email to her, letting her know her laptop was on its way and she could expect it within the hour.

She would have received said email upon opening her package from the messenger and logging on.  Duh.

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6164 on: December 14, 2012, 11:27:06 AM »

That was my first guess--that the pastor was inked and the mom thought he was a bad influence!  ;D

I assumed the mom was embarassed by her son's tattoos and doesn't want the pastor of the church to see pictures of them, so she asked her son to defriend the pastor.