Author Topic: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt  (Read 953927 times)

EmmaJ.

Re: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt
« Reply #6240 on: December 22, 2012, 11:30:13 AM »
I got that one year with my car registration.  Never got a notice that it was up for renewal.  3 weeks after it expired, cop gave me a ticket for having expired tags.   >:(   I was NOT happy that the state got an extra $100 off of me PLUS the new tags PLUS a late fee.

Cop said I should have noticed that the tags were due, and maybe I should have -- but who really looks at their car's license plate, other than maybe to check that it's still there?

Same thing happened to me a couple years ago.  When I mentioned to the clerk that I never received a renewal notice, she scolded me, saying the renewal notice was a courtesy on their part and they didn't *have* to be courteous. 

:o

HappilyInsane

« Reply #6241 on: December 22, 2012, 04:48:41 PM »
I owned a car for 9 years that I NEVER got a tag renewal notice for. Not one of the 8 times I should have. We've gotten them on every other car we've owned every year, but not on that particular vehicle. They also gave me the "It's a courtesy" line. The clerks here even tried running it again as a new registration to try and fix it, to no avail. Weird.

ica171

• Must Add Fabric Softener
« Reply #6242 on: December 22, 2012, 05:39:10 PM »
The car registration discussion reminded me of a time I'm sure I made a clerk's brain hurt.

We have two vehicles. I knew one was coming up on the renewal period, but I could not for the life of me find the form to send it in. Let's say this is close to the end of October and the renewal was due by October 31. So I went down to the courthouse and explained to the clerk that I had a renewal that was going to be expiring but I couldn't find my form. So she looked it up for me, then she got a strange look on her face and said "Uh, ma'am, I show that your registration does not expire until the end of December. The van expires in December and the car expires in June."

I said "oh, I could have sworn it was October," thanked her for her time and left. I got the renewal notice for the vehicle due in December a few weeks later. I am still very confused, though, because we just bought one car, and we bought it in February, so it was registered in February and therefore should be up for renewal during the next February. If they changed it, I don't remember them prorating the registration or anything. Oh well. My brain is mush these days from lack of sleep, so if I'm wrong I wouldn't be at all surprised.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #6243 on: December 22, 2012, 06:09:40 PM »
I posted about this before.
Paid my car registration on time.
Got pulled over multiple times for the next 90 days.
Reason - the county had a back log and didn't get it in the computer. (I paid at the grocery store. When I called the county about not being in the computer I was told Kroger burns a CD once a week, they send it to the county, the prints it out on paper, and then it is entered into the computers. Man hours were cut and they didn't have enough people to input the data)

I was better off that the poor suckers that paid on line. I didn't get a ticket and fine.

A bunch of people paid on line. Didn't get their stickers on time. Got pulled over having the paper work wasn't enough. They got a ticket, got a fine, had to go pay in person for registration  and then apply to get the fee they already paid for registration refunded.

I was asked "exactly where did you get the sticker" a couple of times. I had the official paper work, so that was ok.

I have to give my Kroger this, after I made them aware of the problems I was having. They started warning people to keep all the paper work in their cars, in case the county messed up again. There was some political backlash over the situation, and the county added people input the data.

Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

PeterM

« Reply #6244 on: December 22, 2012, 06:19:43 PM »
Same thing happened to me a couple years ago.  When I mentioned to the clerk that I never received a renewal notice, she scolded me, saying the renewal notice was a courtesy on their part and they didn't *have* to be courteous. 

Her tone might've been rude, but I don't have a problem with the sentiment. We do the same thing at the library - if you provide us with an email address we'll send you reminders when your books are coming due. If you don't receive those emails for whatever reason - it's most often because your email system sends them to the spam folder, but sometimes the problem is on our end - you're still responsible if the books go overdue. Same thing with car registrations, it's your responsibility to know when it has to be re-upped. And I say that as a guy who forgot a few years ago and had to pay a hefty fine.

otterwoman

« Reply #6245 on: December 22, 2012, 06:26:11 PM »
My county DMV office sends out renewal notices, with a plea to please pay in person at the local office, not online or mail-in. It seems that if you pay online or mail-in, then all the money stays at the state level. If you pay in person at the local office, then the county gets to keep some of the money. Since we have local offices with very short wait times, I pay in person.

BabylonSister

• Shake it!
« Reply #6246 on: December 22, 2012, 06:45:13 PM »

Her tone might've been rude, but I don't have a problem with the sentiment. We do the same thing at the library - if you provide us with an email address we'll send you reminders when your books are coming due. If you don't receive those emails for whatever reason - it's most often because your email system sends them to the spam folder, but sometimes the problem is on our end - you're still responsible if the books go overdue. Same thing with car registrations, it's your responsibility to know when it has to be re-upped. And I say that as a guy who forgot a few years ago and had to pay a hefty fine.

I agree. The courtesy warning is nice but its absence is no excuse.

gypsy77

« Reply #6247 on: December 22, 2012, 08:28:01 PM »
The car registration discussion reminded me of a time I'm sure I made a clerk's brain hurt.

We have two vehicles. I knew one was coming up on the renewal period, but I could not for the life of me find the form to send it in. Let's say this is close to the end of October and the renewal was due by October 31. So I went down to the courthouse and explained to the clerk that I had a renewal that was going to be expiring but I couldn't find my form. So she looked it up for me, then she got a strange look on her face and said "Uh, ma'am, I show that your registration does not expire until the end of December. The van expires in December and the car expires in June."

I said "oh, I could have sworn it was October," thanked her for her time and left. I got the renewal notice for the vehicle due in December a few weeks later. I am still very confused, though, because we just bought one car, and we bought it in February, so it was registered in February and therefore should be up for renewal during the next February. If they changed it, I don't remember them prorating the registration or anything. Oh well. My brain is mush these days from lack of sleep, so if I'm wrong I wouldn't be at all surprised.

Where I live, registration renewal date is based on your last name, not when you first registered the vehicle. Is maybe something similar where you are?

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #6248 on: December 22, 2012, 08:35:58 PM »
Here in California, the renewal date is based on when you first registered the vehicle. Each year, the paperwork that comes with your annual sticker & proof of registration tells you very specifically "we'll send you a renewal notice as a courtesy, but it's still your responsibility to pay on time, even if you don't get the notice.

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6249 on: December 22, 2012, 08:39:41 PM »
Fortunately for me, Ontario has your registration due on your birthday.  So if you can remember your birthday, you can remember when your registration is due.   :D
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #6250 on: December 22, 2012, 08:45:27 PM »
Fortunately for me, Ontario has your registration due on your birthday.  So if you can remember your birthday, you can remember when your registration is due.   :D

It is the same in Florida for non-commercial vehicles.

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #6251 on: December 23, 2012, 12:12:56 AM »
We have rules that describe our responsibilities as a Board.  It is one of our responsibilities to send out renewal notices to all currently certified operators 60 days before the licenses expire.  It is in the rules which are available on line, so the operators know it is not a "courtesy notice."
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

PeterM

« Reply #6252 on: December 23, 2012, 03:25:56 PM »
We have rules that describe our responsibilities as a Board.  It is one of our responsibilities to send out renewal notices to all currently certified operators 60 days before the licenses expire.  It is in the rules which are available on line, so the operators know it is not a "courtesy notice."

If the notices don't get sent out, though, does that absolve the operators of the responsibility of renewing the license on time? I could certainly see it being a valid reason to waive a late fee or similar charge, but that's not quite the same thing.

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
  • ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
« Reply #6253 on: December 23, 2012, 03:46:05 PM »
When I taught preschool privately through a church, some parents would  joke," hey, I never got the bill/payment envelope this month, so no late fee   , right?"
I simply directed them to the office where it was pointed out that they signed a contract, and payment was due on time, period.
Sometimes the always late ones were reminded with, "do you receive a reminder each month to pay rent?  Money is still needed and due.  Please pay."
And they did.
Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.

Luci45

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6254 on: December 23, 2012, 04:20:26 PM »
So people don't put things like "5 books due" or "Subarau license due" on their calendars?  My 2013 calendar is pretty full already.

I am really surprised.