Author Topic: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt  (Read 949158 times)

Redsoil

Re: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt
« Reply #6285 on: December 27, 2012, 07:14:55 AM »
PS:  Not saying the OP is "one of those patients", merely that the dentist's office may have had enough of them that they've now implemented "call to confirm" as desired policy to try and see the people who will actually show up!
Look out... 
It's one of the Aussie Contingent!

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #6286 on: December 27, 2012, 07:36:49 AM »
I have a slightly different take on the dentist's office requesting a call-back to confirm you will actually show for your appointment.  (Although I don't quite "get" the fee charged structure - seems unusual.)

We have some patients at our clinic who just don't bother to show, even if they've had reminder calls (and often then expect to be "squeezed in" at a time convenient to them, no matter how busy we are). 

So, with some repeat offenders, policy has been changed in a couple of ways.  Either, we do not book them ahead, but require them to call on the day, and if we can find an appointment for them, then that's fine.  If we can't, then unfortunately, that's a natural consequence of past behaviour, where they've not shown repeatedly, which means that people who were on the waiting list could have been seen, but we were unable to do so because someone else didn't show, and didn't call to inform of that.

Or, we will book them in, but upon calling to remind, if a message has to be left, we ask that they call us back to confirm their appointment, otherwise we will not be able to hold it for them.  Again, this is with REPEAT offenders, who have an extreme record of not bothering to show because they "forgot", "something came up", "didn't realise the time", "oh, I felt okay, so I didn't worry" and basically didn't care about the inconvenience to us, or to other patients who were desperate to be seen (and there's only so much emergency wriggle room we can manage, even if we don't take a lunch break!)

In some cases, prior to enacting these requirements for certain patients, they have had (at their request!) a phone call the day prior, a phone call the morning of the appointment, followed by a phone call a half hour before the actual appointment time - guess what?  They STILL didn't show, and there was no acknowledgement of us going above and beyond to try and help them out.  No apologies for waste of time and basically doing a "dog-in-the-manger" of a viable appointment time.)  It got to a point where we said "You know what?  We are not their mothers."  And we're not.  We definitely go above and beyond for our patients on a regular basis, but a point comes when it gets ridiculous, and others are missing out because of the selfish actions of a few.  (Yes, you can probably tell I'm a little passionate about this - people are in pain, needing help, and we do what we can.  However, we need others to play their part too, by using a little common courtesy and consideration.)

So, I can see where the dental office may have had the same pattern with multiple patients, and has enacted this policy to try and best manage their times for people who really need the appointments.

Just my view from the flipside.  May or may not resemble the actual scenario faced by the dental office, but often, people simply don't think (or care about) how their actions (or inactions) are affecting others. 

On the other hand, life throws a curve-ball sometimes, and if patients have legitimate reasons for not attending, it's never a problem, and we'll do our utmost to accommodate them asap for rescheduling.  It's about using resources as best as possible, and being fair to everyone.  We would never penalise someone who genuinely forgot as a one-off, or who had other things come up which caused difficulties, but would work with them to help them out.  It's just the few, the extreme, that have a disproportionately large impact!

That policy is just generally problematic.  Usually the offices call the day before the appointment.  I usually set mine up as the first appointment, if available. If they expected me to call them back and confirm, I would never get in their office because they would be closed by the time I actually received the message.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Redsoil

« Reply #6287 on: December 27, 2012, 07:42:17 AM »
...and if the office has an answering machine on after hours (as we do)?  Specifically so patients can call if needed after hours.
Look out... 
It's one of the Aussie Contingent!

PaintingPastelPrincess

• She of 3 P's
« Reply #6288 on: December 27, 2012, 06:28:12 PM »
I had a guy call my office the other day to see if I'd received the fax he sent me.  The conversation then went like this:

Me: Yes, I got your fax, but I have page 1 of an invoice and the rest of the pages are blank. 
Him: Did you turn them over?
Me: No, sir, I'm sorry but if the printed side was not scanned on your side, then I can't see it on my side.
Him: Huh, that's weird, because I sent you all 20 pages at the same time.
Me: Well, sir, could you please resend them, making sure they're all facing the same way?  I do need those to complete this order.
Him: Sure, sure, I'll do that in a few minutes, but I'm not sure why you want me to resend.  Seems like a waste of paper...but that's technology! Do you need anything else from me?
Me: Yes, actually, I need the original copy of Important Document.  Did you send this out already and, if so, can you let me know the tracking number?
Him: Oh, that's one of the pages I faxed.
Me: ...I actually need the physical copy of that one.  Could you send it out to me today and let me know the tracking number?
Him: Sure, I can do that.  Would you just send me a copy back when you get it then?

He was actually a very pleasant person to talk to, but he was really ignorant about technology which was a bit brain hurty.  We've also had an exchange about how to attach an email a few times, until he decided faxing would be easier.  ::) :P

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #6289 on: December 27, 2012, 06:38:27 PM »
I had the flu. I made an appointment for some symptom relief. Between making the appointment and the appointment, my breathing became so compromised that my Mom called the doctor for me.

He said forget about the appointment go straight to the ER - I'll tell them you are coming. He met me down in the ER (same building). I was given breathing treatment (basically I was having asthma attack on top of flu).

The doctor cancelled the appoinment after sending me home from the ER.

I got no show bill from the office. I called them and pointed out the doctor had cancelled. Was told no you did it was less than 24 hours before. I figured it was better to handle in person. The doctor heard the conversation and told the office manager or who ever - look at the note - I sent her to the ER because she needed immediate treatment.

There was some screw up with the insurance saying the trip wasn't approved even though the doctor ordered it. He handed them their heads about that.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

BabyMama

• Kim Chee Casserole
« Reply #6290 on: December 27, 2012, 07:11:26 PM »
snopes: Computer Translation discusses the supposed Russian translation.

Back to brain hurt. On another message board, the owner of a guesthouse reported about a group of guests who asked if they could get spaghetti puttanesca for dinner--but it should not contain tomatoes, capers, anchovy, garlic, or olives.  (In case you aren't familiar with puttanesca, that's the ingredient list, although the anchovies are optional.)

My sister once asked for spaghetti carbonara without egg. So, ah, spaghetti fried in bacon grease?

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #6291 on: December 27, 2012, 07:26:32 PM »

Back to brain hurt. On another message board, the owner of a guesthouse reported about a group of guests who asked if they could get spaghetti puttanesca for dinner--but it should not contain tomatoes, capers, anchovy, garlic, or olives.  (In case you aren't familiar with puttanesca, that's the ingredient list, although the anchovies are optional.)

My sister once asked for spaghetti carbonara without egg. So, ah, spaghetti fried in bacon grease?
No, there's still the bacon, sauteed onions and parmesan cheese.
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

Mental Magpie

• ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #6292 on: December 27, 2012, 07:37:48 PM »
Maybe I am missing something.  I thought this through a few times and still can't figure out why the other person just couldn't get it.  The only conclusion to which I can come is that I'm missing something.

Location A: Where I'm standing with a line of people, outdoors
Location B: About 100 yards from Location A, indoors

It was very cold outside today, so to keep people from having to wait outside in the cold for too long, I was calling a set number of people at a time to come from Location B to Location A.  My line was moving along smoothly, and at no point was there no one in line.  During the course of things, one of the people complained that he had been waiting in Location B for so long and that he was about ready to lose it because of that.  When the person behind the counter asked him why he had been waiting in Location B for so long before coming to Location A, I explained that I was trying to keep people out of the cold so was only calling so many at a time.  After the last person in line left, the person behind the counter started to argue with me.

I told her that it didn't matter where they waited, Location A or Location B, they were still waiting through however many people were in front of them.  I even tried doing the math for her.  If 30 people take 2 minutes, that's an hour.  It doesn't matter if they're waiting in Location A (outside where it's cold) or Location B (inside where it's warm), it will still take an hour.  Location doesn't change time.  I could see her argument if there were big gaps between the groups, but there was never nobody in line.  Am I missing something?

Just had this conversation again with someone else... ::)
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #6293 on: December 27, 2012, 08:18:00 PM »
I had the flu. I made an appointment for some symptom relief. Between making the appointment and the appointment, my breathing became so compromised that my Mom called the doctor for me.

He said forget about the appointment go straight to the ER - I'll tell them you are coming. He met me down in the ER (same building). I was given breathing treatment (basically I was having asthma attack on top of flu).

The doctor cancelled the appoinment after sending me home from the ER.

I got no show bill from the office. I called them and pointed out the doctor had cancelled. Was told no you did it was less than 24 hours before. I figured it was better to handle in person. The doctor heard the conversation and told the office manager or who ever - look at the note - I sent her to the ER because she needed immediate treatment.

There was some screw up with the insurance saying the trip wasn't approved even though the doctor ordered it. He handed them their heads about that.

I like your doc!
"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

BabyMama

• Kim Chee Casserole
« Reply #6294 on: December 27, 2012, 08:20:04 PM »

LOL, I know. But she was insistent that it was still spaghetti carbonara without the egg. I explained that there wouldn't really be sauce, since the egg makes the sauce, and was told I was just being stubborn and that egg wasn't necessary. Alrighty.

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #6295 on: December 28, 2012, 02:44:28 AM »

LOL, I know. But she was insistent that it was still spaghetti carbonara without the egg. I explained that there wouldn't really be sauce, since the egg makes the sauce, and was told I was just being stubborn and that egg wasn't necessary. Alrighty.

It isn't, actually. I have a delicious recipe for pasta cabonara that just uses white wine and cream - no eggs.

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

BabylonSister

• Shake it!
« Reply #6296 on: December 28, 2012, 08:49:42 AM »

It isn't, actually. I have a delicious recipe for pasta cabonara that just uses white wine and cream - no eggs.

If it doesn't have eggs, it's not spaghetti alla carbonara. Alla carbonara = egg yolks, pancetta (or bacon), and Parmiggiano-Reggiano or Pecorino. What you are describing sounds good but it's a different sauce.

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #6297 on: December 28, 2012, 09:20:18 AM »

If it doesn't have eggs, it's not spaghetti alla carbonara. Alla carbonara = egg yolks, pancetta (or bacon), and Parmiggiano-Reggiano or Pecorino. What you are describing sounds good but it's a different sauce.

That may be so, but it's still labelled, in a published cookbook, as Pasta Carbonara. If a published cookbook author (and probably her editors) can get it wrong, I won't fault the PP's sister for getting it wrong too.

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

goldilocks

« Reply #6298 on: December 28, 2012, 11:54:39 AM »
DH had this exchange with his brother.   Background:  Brother is always short of money, can barely pay the bills, etc.  Very PA about it, he'll call his dad and whine that he doesn't have groceries for the rest of the month.  He prides himself on never ASKING for money, just making Dad feel bad until he sends it anyway.

DH is always talking to brother about finances - telling him he needs to save and get a part-time job since his full-time job doesn't seem to pay the bills.  Brother insists he hasn't a single dime to put into savings, but will not get a part-time job or look for a new full-time job.

So, brother's car broke down, cost $200 to fix.

DH:  How did you pay for the car?  Did you pull money from savings?
Brother:  You know I don't have any savings.  I put the car on my credit card.
DH:  Well, how are you going to pay off the card?
Brother:  I'll just have to re-arrange things and pay it.
DH:  But if you don't have any extra month to put into savings, how do you have extra money to pay this off?
Brother:  That's different!  This is a bill, it has to be paid.
DH:  But if you don't have a single dime to put into savings, how to you have any extra for this?
Brother:  I told you, it's different.  this is a bill.

REpeat several times.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6299 on: December 28, 2012, 12:21:57 PM »
Brother:  I told you, it's different.  this is a bill.

Translation:  I'll get the money from Dad.