Author Topic: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt  (Read 1003896 times)

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
Re: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt
« Reply #6300 on: December 28, 2012, 12:52:41 PM »
Brother:  I told you, it's different.  this is a bill.

Translation:  I'll get the money from Dad.

I don't know that I agree with this.

There's a lot of people out there that are able to "re-arrange things" in order to pay a bill but are not willing to put money into savings (because all their extra money is used to pay bills . . . or spending fun money.)

I think brother is right with his priorities . . . bills before savings.
True.  But also savings before new toys like an ipad, $4 coffee drinks, a new flatscreen...,
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

BabylonSister

• Shake it!
« Reply #6301 on: December 28, 2012, 01:08:55 PM »
Brother:  I told you, it's different.  this is a bill.

Translation:  I'll get the money from Dad.

I don't know that I agree with this.

There's a lot of people out there that are able to "re-arrange things" in order to pay a bill but are not willing to put money into savings (because all their extra money is used to pay bills . . . or spending fun money.)

I think brother is right with his priorities . . . bills before savings.
True.  But also savings before new toys like an ipad, $4 coffee drinks, a new flatscreen...,

Of course, but there is nothing in goldilocks' post to indicate that the brother blows his money on toys. All it says is that he has a hard time paying bills with just his full-time job.

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #6302 on: December 28, 2012, 01:15:30 PM »
When I was young and broke I could "rearrange things" to pay bills - stuff like generic cereal and powdered milk for dinner, wear my clothes a bit longer between washings, arrange for carpooling even if driving myself was preferable, etc. But being broke, it meant giving up the few luxuries I had - I wasn't willing to do it long term (like for regular savings), but in a pinch I could do these things to stretch my pennys.

ica171

• Must Add Fabric Softener
« Reply #6303 on: December 29, 2012, 12:09:17 AM »
When I was young and broke I could "rearrange things" to pay bills - stuff like generic cereal and powdered milk for dinner, wear my clothes a bit longer between washings, arrange for carpooling even if driving myself was preferable, etc. But being broke, it meant giving up the few luxuries I had - I wasn't willing to do it long term (like for regular savings), but in a pinch I could do these things to stretch my pennys.

This is what I was thinking. I *could* give up the $20 a month I get to spend on myself and put it towards savings, but it keeps me sane and my family would probably prefer that I have it. I could also stop buying the kids ready-made snacks like graham crackers and yogurt, but again, those are things I'd rather do on the short term only if I have to,  and giving them up completely isn't really feasible for us long term.

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #6304 on: December 29, 2012, 10:07:40 AM »
I read it as a clumsy attempt at bean-dipping. Brother knows that goldilocks' husband disapproves of how Brother handles his finances and Brother doesn't want to go over that subject again. So he is attempting to get out of the conversation by saying "Don't worry. It will be taken care of."

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #6305 on: December 29, 2012, 10:35:07 AM »
I read it as a clumsy attempt at bean-dipping. Brother knows that goldilocks' husband disapproves of how Brother handles his finances and Brother doesn't want to go over that subject again. So he is attempting to get out of the conversation by saying "Don't worry. It will be taken care of."

I agree. In that light, Goldilock's DH was rude in not accepting the diversion. How many threads have we had here about people who will not drop a subject despite the offer of bean-dip?
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6306 on: December 29, 2012, 11:04:27 AM »

I agree. In that light, Goldilock's DH was rude in not accepting the diversion. How many threads have we had here about people who will not drop a subject despite the offer of bean-dip?

I agree.  I was curious why the DH feels entitled to question his brother about finances if the brother is not asking the DH for money.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #6307 on: December 29, 2012, 05:49:02 PM »
I am in a similar situation, when someone (with a history of needing hand-outs from friends and family) calls me to complain about a financial hardship, then wants to change the subject when I present possible solutions, it is difficult to drop it (within two sentences, one discussing the problem and the next wanting to drop the subject). While I do, it is not always easy to shift gears in conversation and makes it more awkward. I would prefer not to discuss finances, altogether.

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #6308 on: December 29, 2012, 06:29:47 PM »
The other day, I was discussing the weather with a coworker.  I mentioned how it had been 6F when I left for work that morning (at 0530) and how much it had warmed up since then being 46F at around 1200.  My worker said, "It's still freezing!"  I thought to myself, "Uh, no, 32F is freezing," but then I turned off my literal switch and recognized she was using hyperbole.

I chuckled and said that I didn't think it was that cold out (going with her hyperbole and meaning that to me it wasn't nearly as cold as it seemed to be to her...you know, like how someone from the desert wouldn't think 95F was hot while others not used to it would).  That was when she said, "No, it's below freezing!"

Maybe it was still hyperbole, but I couldn't shake the feeling that she actually didn't know what the word freezing actually meant.  Maybe it was just the way she said it like it was a matter of fact rather than opinion.  It made my brain hurt nonetheless.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6309 on: January 03, 2013, 03:39:44 PM »
this happens a lot of times at work, and it just happened the other day, again.

BG - i work in a small office that runs a huge organization. we are two admins who share the main office, and when the senior staff (4 other people) do not answer their phone, their calls get bounced to our office.

Caller: May I speak to John [john is the CFO]
Me: I'm sorry, John is in a meeting. would you like to leave a message?
Caller: do you know how long he will be?
Me: No, but you can leave a message with me.
Caller: Do you think he will finish in an hour?
Me: <eye roll at other admin> no, I don't know how long he will be. [pause]. would you like to leave a message.
Caller: so I'll call back in an hour, he should be finished by then, yes?
Me: <ARGH!>

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

katiescarlett

« Reply #6310 on: January 03, 2013, 11:51:40 PM »
Exchange with a coworker today.

B/G:  We are an outpatient medical center pharmacy (an Indian tribal hospital).  We have two facilities in my town.  Our old pharmacy, where we were until the new hospital was built two years ago, and the pharmacy at the new location.  We use the old facility as a mail-out pharmacy End B/G.

Today, I had a woman call who had requested her meds filled on NYD.  We keep the hospital pharmacy open for holiday hours on days like this, with a very limited staff.  As such, no mail goes out (especially on NYD!), and no FED-EX pickups, obviously.  Well, today, she was concerned because she had not received her insulin yet.  It should have gone out yesterday, and she should have received it today (overnighted).  I called the other facility to ask if they had printed the Fed-ex report yet.  Here is our conversation:

Katie:  Can you look on the report for today (we receive the report the next morning) and see if Jane Doe's meds went out today, please?

CW:  Uh, that's Jayeno Smith?
Katie: No.  J-A-N-E D-O-E.  Filled 1/1.
CW:  Well, they went out on the first.  The computer says so.
Katie:  No, CW, they didn't.  That was New Year's Day, remember?  No one worked over there, and fedex did not run.
CW:  Well, the computer says it went through.  (Repeat this exchange a few times)
Katie:  CW, PLEASE look at TODAY's fedex report and see if Jane Doe's name is on it.  Please.  (While silently banging the phone receiver against my forehead in frustration)
CW:  OH! (Thank goodness!  Lightbulb moment!) You want me to look at TODAY's report?
Me:  Yes please.
CW:  OK.  Nope, did not go out.  Can I help with anything else?
Me: (Crying silently) No.  Thank you for looking.
CW:  No problem!  Call if you need anything else.
Me:  I will.  (not!)  Thank you!

Snooks

« Reply #6311 on: January 04, 2013, 06:32:27 AM »
During my 20 minute phone call to the bank

Bank: The only transactions showing on your account are the interest payment and your account fee.
Me: What interest rate am I currently getting?
Bank: Do you get interest on that account?

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6312 on: January 04, 2013, 01:10:01 PM »
Another twist on courtesy calls and cancellation charges . . .

The last time I went to the dentist, I received a courtesy call reminding me of the appointment. At the end of the message they stated "Please call us back in order to confirm this appointment."

Well, one thing led to another and I never called them back (never had to do this before.)

I showed up for my appointment and the receptionist pretty much admonished me saying (not exact words) "You didn't call back to confirm. You know we require a call back from you. You're lucky we can squeeze you in this time and we won't charge you the missed appointment fee." ???

I clarified with the receptionist what the new rules were. Yes. Even though I made the appt. only 2 weeks before once they call me to remind me of the appt. I am required to call them back within 24 hours prior to my appt. in order to confirm. If I don't my appt. can and probably will be given to someone else and I will owe the $70 missed appt. fee even if I show up.

Does anybody else have to call to confirm an appointment? Or is my Dentist office just odd this way?

Oh, and the last message I received from them clearly stated "It is a new requirement that you must call us back to confirm blah blah blah" Instead of a simple "Please call us back."

It almost sounds like they overbook, like airlines do, and hope not everyone calls back to confirm, or shows up. I get calls from the docs in the medical group I go to, and I have the option to either press 1 to confirm, or 2 to cancel. But I've never ever had to call back in person to confirm.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #6313 on: January 04, 2013, 01:13:57 PM »

It almost sounds like they overbook, like airlines do, and hope not everyone calls back to confirm, or shows up. I get calls from the docs in the medical group I go to, and I have the option to either press 1 to confirm, or 2 to cancel. But I've never ever had to call back in person to confirm.

I just got a call like that for my orthopedic follow-up.  *So* convenient. 

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6314 on: January 04, 2013, 01:44:37 PM »
jpcher wrote:

"I clarified with the receptionist what the new rules were. Yes. Even though I made the appt. only 2 weeks before once they call me to remind me of the appt. I am required to call them back within 24 hours prior to my appt. in order to confirm. If I don't my appt. can and probably will be given to someone else and I will owe the $70 missed appt. fee even if I show up."

This is the part that hangs them.  The only rational argument for a missed appointment fee is that the doctor set aside an appointment time that cannot be billed due to the patient not showing up.  What rational argument can they present in charging a missed appointment fee to a person who's standing in the office at the time of their appointment?  If they filled the appointment in the meantime, there's no claim of lost earnings, and if they didn't, she's there to keep the appointment, so any way you slice it it sounds screwy bordering on fraudulent.

Virg