Author Topic: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt  (Read 1018378 times)

Tea Drinker

Re: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt
« Reply #6330 on: January 08, 2013, 11:19:57 AM »
I probably wouldn't wear a t-shirt or display a sticker for something I just don't care about, but leaving on "This Car Climbed Mount Washington" or wearing a giveaway shirt for a 10K race you didn't run seems different from having a sticker for a candidate you voted against or your own team's arch-rival.
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6331 on: January 08, 2013, 11:35:48 AM »
I have an old story about how a bumper sticker helped discover a car theft. 

A resident of a  county in New York State had his car stolen while on vacation in another state.  He reported it to the police with a full description including the presence of a bumper sticker supporting a candidate in his home county's Sheriff race.  Let's say the name of the candidate was Bill Vines.

A local cop found a car he was sure was the stolen one because of the bumper sticker.  He stopped the driver and asked, 'Who's Bill Vines?'.

That clinched it and the owner had his car returned. 

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #6332 on: January 08, 2013, 11:38:30 AM »
What gave me "brain hurt" was, well, why would you keep a bumper detail on your car, especially a slightly "controversial" one like a Darwin Fish if you didn't agree with it?  Maybe he didn't know what it meant?

Still slightly bewildered by the conversation.
I thought bumper stickers were difficult to remove.  I've been lucky and none of the used cars I bought had stickers or decals.  Maybe the dealerships remove that stuff so the vehicles will move easier.

Does anyone have experience removing bumper stickers or decals?  Is there an easy removal method?
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

LazyDaisy

« Reply #6333 on: January 08, 2013, 11:50:30 AM »
Removing them depends on where they were placed. On a painted surface it would be more difficult than on a chrome bumper (just scrape the paper part off as much as possible and then carefully use some sort of solvent to remove the sticky stuff like acetone or Goo Gone without getting it on the paint). I can see not removing benign things like "I ran the Boston Marathon" but something that can be politically/religiously controversial that I don't agree with, I can't imagine keeping. I'd at the very least cover it with a different sticker if I couldn't get it off.

But I wonder if the neighbor in Betelnut's story might have just been getting out of having a further conversation with a stranger, and didn't feel the same sense of bond over the Darwin fish.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6334 on: January 08, 2013, 11:59:14 AM »
Removing them depends on where they were placed. On a painted surface it would be more difficult than on a chrome bumper (just scrape the paper part off as much as possible and then carefully use some sort of solvent to remove the sticky stuff like acetone or Goo Gone without getting it on the paint). I can see not removing benign things like "I ran the Boston Marathon" but something that can be politically/religiously controversial that I don't agree with, I can't imagine keeping. I'd at the very least cover it with a different sticker if I couldn't get it off.

I'd cover it too. It was a running joke between me and a dear friend that she bought a used car from someone with opposite politics, and it had a sticker advertising a candidate she HATED. She kept meaning to get another sticker to cover it and then not getting around to it, so we kept calling the car the "Smithmobile" (substituting the actual candidate's name for Smith). The car broke down before she ever got around to getting a new sticker!  ;D It was only about six months.

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #6335 on: January 08, 2013, 12:21:25 PM »
Sorry, Wolfie, you're making my brain hurt. I don't quite understand your story. Why was it funny that John was in Natasha's passenger seat?

Basically Natasha got a restraining order against John, yet she is the one who initiated contact with him and is the one who was driving him around. Maybe it was a you had to be there thing. The expression on the Baliff's face when he realized that the person whose restraining order was broken was actually the next person in line was funny.

LazyDaisy

« Reply #6336 on: January 08, 2013, 12:29:28 PM »
^ but in the case of breaking a restraining order, wouldn't Natasha have to be the one to call the police on John for breaking it? So Natasha picked him up and drove him around, maybe they got into a fight or something and then she called the police and accused him of breaking a restraining order. Or were they arrested together for some other charge and then police discovered John had an order of protection against him?

I can understand the bailiffs brain hurt.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

ica171

• Must Add Fabric Softener
« Reply #6337 on: January 08, 2013, 12:30:48 PM »
This morning I got a call from my kids' pediatrician's office. For BG, I have three kids: two boys who are 8 and 6 and an almost 11-month-old daughter. The last time the boys were there was in September for their yearly physical; DD was there in October for her nine month checkup.

The nurse on the line said, "Hi, I was just calling to check on YDS. How is he feeling?" I was confused, but told her he was fine. She asked if he still had a sore throat. I said no. I think at this point she was confused, too, because she asked if he had been to the ER recently. I told her no, it's been years since he's been to the ER (once when he was in pre-K; now he's in first grade). She gave me the name of the ER and the date, which was two days ago. I confirmed that he had not been there. She said "OK, so he's feeling better now?" I probably should have asked her to verify his middle name or something because obviously this was not my son she was talking about, but I just said yes. She thanked me and told me to have a good day.

I posted earlier in the thread about a doctor's office calling me to verify an appointment I hadn't made, which I put off to having a common name. I'm assuming that's the case here as YDS also has a pretty common name, although I hope it was just the nurse calling the wrong patient and not that the ER put the visit under the wrong name. I'd rather not have to deal with getting bills for this ER visit because someone picked the wrong name out of the computer.

snowflake

« Reply #6338 on: January 08, 2013, 12:34:30 PM »
What gave me "brain hurt" was, well, why would you keep a bumper detail on your car, especially a slightly "controversial" one like a Darwin Fish if you didn't agree with it?  Maybe he didn't know what it meant?

Still slightly bewildered by the conversation.
I thought bumper stickers were difficult to remove.  I've been lucky and none of the used cars I bought had stickers or decals.  Maybe the dealerships remove that stuff so the vehicles will move easier.

Does anyone have experience removing bumper stickers or decals?  Is there an easy removal method?

A friend of mine bought a used car with a "Jesus" fish.  She's Jewish and doesn't even celebrate Christmas as a cultural holiday.  She kept meaning to take it off and never got around to it.

We all got a kick out of it.

wolfie

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6339 on: January 08, 2013, 12:36:03 PM »
^ but in the case of breaking a restraining order, wouldn't Natasha have to be the one to call the police on John for breaking it? So Natasha picked him up and drove him around, maybe they got into a fight or something and then she called the police and accused him of breaking a restraining order. Or were they arrested together for some other charge and then police discovered John had an order of protection against him?

it's the second. They got pulled over for some traffic issue and then they discovered the lack of licenses, restraining order and a bunch of other things. The judge was asking both of them if they understood what a restraining order was because his brain hurt from it too. Apparently she didn't realize she had one out on John. I don't know how you could get one without being aware of it but I think the judge wanted to move on too because he didn't press the issue. And no - John didn't have the order of protection against Natasha - Natasha had an order of protection against John, but she is the one who called him up and picked him up for a ride to wherever they were going. Whole lot of brain hurt going on there.

snowflake

« Reply #6340 on: January 08, 2013, 12:47:41 PM »

it's the second. They got pulled over for some traffic issue and then they discovered the lack of licenses, restraining order and a bunch of other things. The judge was asking both of them if they understood what a restraining order was because his brain hurt from it too. Apparently she didn't realize she had one out on John. I don't know how you could get one without being aware of it but I think the judge wanted to move on too because he didn't press the issue. And no - John didn't have the order of protection against Natasha - Natasha had an order of protection against John, but she is the one who called him up and picked him up for a ride to wherever they were going. Whole lot of brain hurt going on there.

Sadly, I've known this to happen before.  There is a domestic dispute, the cops get called, a restraining order is put in place, the couple goes into the "honeymoon" cycle of domestic violence and get back together without dealing with the legal aspect.  In some places, having charges filed against a person will automatically result in a restraining order which stays in place even if the victim backs out of pressing charges. 

I must admit it still makes my brain hurt no matter how common this is.

wolfie

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6341 on: January 08, 2013, 12:55:56 PM »

Sadly, I've known this to happen before.  There is a domestic dispute, the cops get called, a restraining order is put in place, the couple goes into the "honeymoon" cycle of domestic violence and get back together without dealing with the legal aspect.  In some places, having charges filed against a person will automatically result in a restraining order which stays in place even if the victim backs out of pressing charges. 

The interesting thing is that he knew he had one out on him because he tried to explain it by saying that the order was issues in Yonkers and we were in Dutchess County so it wasn't valid. Which the judge explained doesn't matter - and order is an order and it is valid wherever you are. So you would think he would be smart enough not to get into the car with Natasha when she came up. Or at least to make sure that if you are violating a restraining order and have your license suspended make sure that you drive in such a way that you don't get pulled over.

This also goes for if you are carrying "a green leafy substance" - don't run stop signs.

LazyDaisy

« Reply #6342 on: January 08, 2013, 01:04:42 PM »

The interesting thing is that he knew he had one out on him because he tried to explain it by saying that the order was issues in Yonkers and we were in Dutchess County so it wasn't valid. Which the judge explained doesn't matter - and order is an order and it is valid wherever you are. So you would think he would be smart enough not to get into the car with Natasha when she came up. Or at least to make sure that if you are violating a restraining order and have your license suspended make sure that you drive in such a way that you don't get pulled over.

This also goes for if you are carrying "a green leafy substance" - don't run stop signs.

They probably both thought that since Natasha obviously doesn't mind the contact that the order just doesn't "count" anymore. But if she gets mad at him again, then it does 'cause that's how it works right?  ::)

wolfie

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6343 on: January 08, 2013, 01:25:24 PM »

They probably both thought that since Natasha obviously doesn't mind the contact that the order just doesn't "count" anymore. But if she gets mad at him again, then it does 'cause that's how it works right?  ::)

They might have been thinking that, but I got the feeling that he very quickly realized the error of his ways (at least in getting caught) and will be more careful in the future.  Or at least he realized that once you are in front of the judge you should pretty much tell them what they want to hear, accept the names of the public defenders and get out of there before you get yourself into more trouble. 

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6344 on: January 08, 2013, 02:17:14 PM »
They might have been thinking that, but I got the feeling that he very quickly realized the error of his ways (at least in getting caught) and will be more careful in the future.  Or at least he realized that once you are in front of the judge you should pretty much tell them what they want to hear, accept the names of the public defenders and get out of there before you get yourself into more trouble.

If more people would listen to advice like that, they wouldn't be in front of a judge to begin with. ;)