Author Topic: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt  (Read 1037617 times)

Shalamar

Re: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt
« Reply #6360 on: January 09, 2013, 05:16:11 PM »
When I forget a password and have to reset it.

Gah, our email system at work makes my brain hurt.  I recently had to change my password, and knowing how picky it was, I carefully read all the rules.  Mix of upper and lower case - check.  At least one non-alphabetic character - check.  At least eight characters long - check.  Can't be too similar to your last five passwords - check.

I trumphantly entered it and was promptly told "NOT COMPLEX ENOUGH".  That's it.  No explanation about how to make it more "complex". 

After trying five more times, I finally gave up and used the "generate a new password for me" function - which I promptly forgot.   >:(

snowflake

« Reply #6361 on: January 09, 2013, 05:35:27 PM »

Gah, our email system at work makes my brain hurt.  I recently had to change my password, and knowing how picky it was, I carefully read all the rules.  Mix of upper and lower case - check.  At least one non-alphabetic character - check.  At least eight characters long - check.  Can't be too similar to your last five passwords - check.

I trumphantly entered it and was promptly told "NOT COMPLEX ENOUGH".  That's it.  No explanation about how to make it more "complex". 

After trying five more times, I finally gave up and used the "generate a new password for me" function - which I promptly forgot.   >:(

I worked at a place that trotted out a very high security, state-of-the-art-secret, database for our very private, private information.  To make sure it was really secure, we had to come up with a non-word password that contained capital letters, numbers and special symbols.  We couldn't reuse and it could tell if we were trying to use numbers to replace letters to make it look like a real word. (So passwords like C00kie$ were out.) So in essence, we had to remember a new 8 letter combination of gibberish  every 30 days.

On 90% of the workstations, there was a sticky note with the password to the very secret database.  Security WIN!

Iris

« Reply #6362 on: January 09, 2013, 05:37:45 PM »

I once took eight - EIGHT - tries to generate a password just to do an online quiz for work training. I really could not see why my training in new first aid procedures needed higher security than my online bank does. In the end I'm afraid the password ended up being based on a rather nasty swear word.
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

Iris

« Reply #6363 on: January 09, 2013, 05:40:12 PM »

I worked at a place that trotted out a very high security, state-of-the-art-secret, database for our very private, private information.  To make sure it was really secure, we had to come up with a non-word password that contained capital letters, numbers and special symbols.  We couldn't reuse and it could tell if we were trying to use numbers to replace letters to make it look like a real word. (So passwords like C00kie$ were out.) So in essence, we had to remember a new 8 letter combination of gibberish  every 30 days.

On 90% of the workstations, there was a sticky note with the password to the very secret database.  Security WIN!

I'm sure I've linked this before, but it bears repeating

http://xkcd.com/936/

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #6364 on: January 09, 2013, 05:44:41 PM »

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6365 on: January 09, 2013, 06:23:22 PM »
Yep! Pretty much! LOL!!! I love that!

And I may have used a not so nice word before when I was sick and tired of them telling me my password wasn't good enough.

Naturally I forgot it.  As if the 80's hairdos aren't enough, kids will know that Spaceballs was made in the 80's because a combination like 12345 would never be allowed now.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #6366 on: January 09, 2013, 07:07:48 PM »
What I do is pick a phrase or Bible verse, something like that, and use the first letters of the phrase.  So you could do something like P118:1GtttLfHig;Hlef, which would be Psalm 118:1  "Give thanks to the Lord for He is good; His love endures forever".  It's fairly easy to remember and gives you a nice mix of upper and lowercase letters, numbers, and a symbol (the colon, sometimes a semi-colon).  I use it for a site that requires a 14-22 character password... eek!  You can do it with other phrases instead of Bible verses, but I like Bible verses because of the built-in colon that provides a "special character."  With other stuff, you either need to include punctuation or find some other way to add one, if it's required.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6367 on: January 09, 2013, 07:10:49 PM »
A friend of mine worked in the IT department and was responsible for setting passwords for new people, ready for the day they started.

One of the new hires was named O'(something).  She almost set his password as Leprechaun, thinking he might be Irish based on the O' but decided that perhaps it wasn't a good idea.  Which is fortunate because later that day, she was introduced a very nice man of Asian decent.

Many months later, after she'd gotten to know him better, she told him the story.  He thought it was hilarious.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #6368 on: January 09, 2013, 07:22:35 PM »

While trying to come up with a new password for my Dropbox account, I tried that password.

This was the result: http://jedikaiti.tumblr.com/image/40131683650
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6369 on: January 09, 2013, 07:24:52 PM »
All this talk about passwords . . .

A CW of mine drives 1-1/2 hours to work one way on a good day.

There was a pretty bad snowstorm where I was the only one that made it in. I live 10 minutes away from work, it took me almost 1/2 hour that day (I got stuck going up a hill on an unplowed street ::))

I was at work for about 3 hours when in strolls CW.

Me: Oh my goodness, CW! You actually drove in today? :o

CW (grumble, grumble, explatives): I know! It took me almost 4 hours to get here!

Me: Why on Earth did you even try?

CW (grumble, grumble, more explatives): Today was the last day to change my password. You know how long it takes to go through IT to get it reset! I just didn't want the hassle!

CW stayed for about an hour before she left. Fortunately her trip home wasn't as bad. It only took her 2-1/2 hours to get home. ::)

Yeah, that made my brain hurt big-time!

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #6370 on: January 09, 2013, 07:37:59 PM »

While trying to come up with a new password for my Dropbox account, I tried that password.

THAT. IS. AWESOME. !!!!! :D

Iris

« Reply #6371 on: January 09, 2013, 08:10:46 PM »

THAT. IS. AWESOME. !!!!! :D

Bahahahahahahahahahaha

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #6372 on: January 09, 2013, 08:11:39 PM »
What I do is pick a phrase or Bible verse, something like that, and use the first letters of the phrase.  So you could do something like P118:1GtttLfHig;Hlef, which would be Psalm 118:1  "Give thanks to the Lord for He is good; His love endures forever".  It's fairly easy to remember and gives you a nice mix of upper and lowercase letters, numbers, and a symbol (the colon, sometimes a semi-colon).  I use it for a site that requires a 14-22 character password... eek!  You can do it with other phrases instead of Bible verses, but I like Bible verses because of the built-in colon that provides a "special character."  With other stuff, you either need to include punctuation or find some other way to add one, if it's required.

I do something similar, but with poems!  I have a few favorite poems, so I'll use the lines for passwords int he same manner you do the verses.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

mmswm

« Reply #6373 on: January 09, 2013, 08:20:34 PM »

I do something similar, but with poems!  I have a few favorite poems, so I'll use the lines for passwords int he same manner you do the verses.

I also do something similar, but it's with the scores of various favorite classical music pieces.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

JoW

« Reply #6374 on: January 09, 2013, 09:18:42 PM »
I use the names and ages of relaves and family friends.  Upper case, lower case, and numbers.  I often re-arrange parts - AuntSally53, 5UncleFred6, 19TomCousin.  The system accepts it.  I write a hint (Fred's ds 19) on scrap paper and keep it under my keyboard.  The system hasn't fussed about it yet.