Author Topic: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt  (Read 1052422 times)

AfleetAlex

• Proud cat mom and Auntie
Re: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt
« Reply #6390 on: January 10, 2013, 10:47:02 AM »
Oh yes, I know it's a fallacy to assume that my experience is universal, I was just throwing that out there.  :)

That said, I can see losing patience with having to continually repeat yourself. Newmommy, many fast food places in my area have a confirmation screen that shows what you ordered. I'm guessing this place didn't have that?
I have a chronic case of foot-in-mouth disease.

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6391 on: January 10, 2013, 11:18:45 AM »
Speaking of fast food drive-thru, one thing that always makes my brain hurt is when they do have that confirmation screen, have a sign up asking people to check it to ensure the order is correct, and then the employee (for whatever reason) doesn't actually enter the order into the system such that it is visible in time for you to actually look at it.

It mostly seems to happen when the drive-thru is busy, so I can sort of understand why it might make more sense from a workflow perspective to enter the order in between the time that the customer pulls away from the screen and pays/picks up the order. But at the same time, the restaurant is probably more likely to make a mistake (and I as the customer am going to feel more awkward about taking time to check my order) when things are super busy. So placing my order and then being told I'll get my total at the payment window makes it impossible for me to check whether they've heard me correctly (and means it's a good thing I typically pay with card rather than cash, since they also want me to have my money ready!).

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6392 on: January 10, 2013, 11:22:22 AM »
Another fast food related thing that made my brain hurt.  I don't know just how universal it is but at least in our town, most of the fast food restaurants have arranged their drive through so that when you are done getting your food, your car is usually pointed toward the exit.  Which usually means you go in a C shape around the building. 

There's a Chik-Fil-A near our grocery store and last Friday, while leaving, I saw a sign posted that faced the entrance of their lot saying "Drive through goes around the building."

It's a good thing I was in the car with just Piratebabe because I couldn't help but say "Well, DUH!" I mean, really? They needed a sign to point out the obvious? No other fast food joints in town have such a sign outside their buildings, and you can see the pickup window on the same side of the building as the sign!

Granted, usually a sign would be put into place because someone proved it was necessary, and you know, I'm going to actually hope that's the case and it's not a matter of the managers thinking their clientele are just that stupid.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #6393 on: January 10, 2013, 11:28:34 AM »
I almost always make a change or two to the standard order, so I prefer to go inside rather than the drive through.

That said, the drive through sound TODAY is a lot better than it used to be when I first started driving, back in the mid-1970s.  Much better.  Trust me on this.

But I have noticed the same "lack of either attention or retention" when I go inside. 

"I'd like a number five, no pickles, no mustard, no onion; onion rings instead of fries; a diet soda; and I'm eating here.  They type in the number 5 and ask if I want it "here" or "to go".  I remind them that it is "here".  I noticed that only two punches had been made, so I reminded them that I didn't want mustard, onions, or pickles on the sandwich and that I wanted onion rings instead of fries (raw onion I can't handle - cooked onion I can, especially with a little catsup).  Then I got asked about my soda (no change) and the diet soda (not all places are self serve drinks - they do still control the cups, even if you fill it yourself).

For something that I order three or four times a month (weekly "treat" for myself) - I end up spending 3x to 5x (or longer) in line than anyone making a standard order or even upsizing the drink & fries.  I also get handed a bag of food a lot instead of a tray, but that might be on the person making the order up while the counter person is taking more orders (depends on the exact store I'm in).

It's as if the person taking the order either has no short term memory or is using all their attention to find the buttons on the cash register for the next step that they don't recall anything of what I said after "number 5" and have to ask me the next question on the script to figure out which button to push.  There are a couple of places that I eat at often enough that I don't have to repeat myself - but I don't eat lunch out every day, so no one business is going to be seeing me as a "regular" enough to know my order before I open my mouth.

Not since the one pizza place when Ambrosia Hino was three, anyway. 

Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Shalamar

« Reply #6394 on: January 10, 2013, 11:28:55 AM »
I can see losing patience with having to continually repeat yourself.

Me too.  I think NewMommy handled it just fine.  She said "Please pay attention", not "Open your ears, you cloth-eared twit". 

I'm reminded of when my husband and I went through the Wendy's drive-thru a few years ago.    I'm not sure if Wendy's still does this, but back then their biggest drink was called a Biggie.  My husband ordered one, but the employee repeating back the order kept changing the size.  "So, you want a small?"  "No, a Biggie, please."  "Was that a medium drink?"  "NO.  I'd like a Biggie, please."  "What size was that, again?"  Finally, my normally very even-tempered husband roared "A BIGGIE!  I WANT A BIGGIE DRINK!", and I started giggling helplessly because he sounded like a toddler having a tantrum.

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6395 on: January 10, 2013, 11:40:21 AM »
It's as if the person taking the order either has no short term memory or is using all their attention to find the buttons on the cash register for the next step that they don't recall anything of what I said after "number 5" and have to ask me the next question on the script to figure out which button to push. 

It's exactly that. Most registers have a specific order you have to press the buttons in. So if you want "a number five, no pickles, no mustard, no onion; onion rings instead of fries; a diet soda; and I'm eating here," but the computer's particular setup wants the cashier to do for-here-or-to-go first, and the "sauce" stuff like mustard first, and then the pickles and onion, and so on, then the cashier is trying to input the information in the order the computer wants it while trying to remember everything else you said at the same time. Some people have a knack for this, but quite frankly, your brain ends up as fried as the onion rings on a busy day. They're not trying to annoy you. It's just a side effect of register computers that are inflexible about how to input things.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #6396 on: January 10, 2013, 11:53:16 AM »
It's as if the person taking the order either has no short term memory or is using all their attention to find the buttons on the cash register for the next step that they don't recall anything of what I said after "number 5" and have to ask me the next question on the script to figure out which button to push. 

It's exactly that. Most registers have a specific order you have to press the buttons in. So if you want "a number five, no pickles, no mustard, no onion; onion rings instead of fries; a diet soda; and I'm eating here," but the computer's particular setup wants the cashier to do for-here-or-to-go first, and the "sauce" stuff like mustard first, and then the pickles and onion, and so on, then the cashier is trying to input the information in the order the computer wants it while trying to remember everything else you said at the same time. Some people have a knack for this, but quite frankly, your brain ends up as fried as the onion rings on a busy day. They're not trying to annoy you. It's just a side effect of register computers that are inflexible about how to input things.

I worked fast food in high school - before the "one button" for each step of the order cash registers came along.  Heck, the hamburger place didn't even have electrical cash registers...three years later, the pizza place did have electrical cash registers, but since I never worked lunch, I didn't have to remember how to do the adult, child, or senior buffet - just punch in the price(s) and hit subtotal, tax, and total.

Today, the cash register no longer seems to have rows of numerals for the price to be punched in as a price - it's all "item ordered" at the fast food places. 
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6397 on: January 10, 2013, 11:59:47 AM »

I worked fast food in high school - before the "one button" for each step of the order cash registers came along.  Heck, the hamburger place didn't even have electrical cash registers...three years later, the pizza place did have electrical cash registers, but since I never worked lunch, I didn't have to remember how to do the adult, child, or senior buffet - just punch in the price(s) and hit subtotal, tax, and total.

Today, the cash register no longer seems to have rows of numerals for the price to be punched in as a price - it's all "item ordered" at the fast food places.

Yeah, nothing is punched in as numbers these days, in my experience. They're like this:
http://planetauthorize.com/images/restaurantpro-express.jpg
with each of those buttons being a menu item, or a specification you can add, etc. And most of them have 3 or 4 screens to go through for each order, and every restaurant is different in how it's set up.

Cami

« Reply #6398 on: January 10, 2013, 12:03:24 PM »
I almost always make a change or two to the standard order, so I prefer to go inside rather than the drive through.

That said, the drive through sound TODAY is a lot better than it used to be when I first started driving, back in the mid-1970s.  Much better.  Trust me on this.

But I have noticed the same "lack of either attention or retention" when I go inside. 

"I'd like a number five, no pickles, no mustard, no onion; onion rings instead of fries; a diet soda; and I'm eating here.  They type in the number 5 and ask if I want it "here" or "to go".  I remind them that it is "here".  I noticed that only two punches had been made, so I reminded them that I didn't want mustard, onions, or pickles on the sandwich and that I wanted onion rings instead of fries (raw onion I can't handle - cooked onion I can, especially with a little catsup).  Then I got asked about my soda (no change) and the diet soda (not all places are self serve drinks - they do still control the cups, even if you fill it yourself).

For something that I order three or four times a month (weekly "treat" for myself) - I end up spending 3x to 5x (or longer) in line than anyone making a standard order or even upsizing the drink & fries.  I also get handed a bag of food a lot instead of a tray, but that might be on the person making the order up while the counter person is taking more orders (depends on the exact store I'm in).

It's as if the person taking the order either has no short term memory or is using all their attention to find the buttons on the cash register for the next step that they don't recall anything of what I said after "number 5" and have to ask me the next question on the script to figure out which button to push.   There are a couple of places that I eat at often enough that I don't have to repeat myself - but I don't eat lunch out every day, so no one business is going to be seeing me as a "regular" enough to know my order before I open my mouth.

Back in the day, I worked in fast food. While part of the problem may be the person looking for the right button to press, part of the problem may be the cashier's natural ability to process a spate of disparate information, especially when it comes to them aurally, rather than in writing. Some people can make a mental list in their head of what they're hearing and then press the buttons in order. But MANY people do not have that natural ability and simply can not do it. They are not stupid or ignorant, their brains do not work like that and no amount of effort can make them acquire that ability.

As a result, when I give an order with non-standard requests, I wait until they have keyed in the basic information, then slowly list what I want. And FTR, when I do so, the cashier invariably asks, "Did you used to work as a cashier?" because they realize someone is talking their language, as it were.

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6399 on: January 10, 2013, 12:11:00 PM »

It's as if the person taking the order either has no short term memory or is using all their attention to find the buttons on the cash register for the next step that they don't recall anything of what I said after "number 5" and have to ask me the next question on the script to figure out which button to push.   There are a couple of places that I eat at often enough that I don't have to repeat myself - but I don't eat lunch out every day, so no one business is going to be seeing me as a "regular" enough to know my order before I open my mouth.

Back in the day, I worked in fast food. While part of the problem may be the person looking for the right button to press, part of the problem may be the cashier's natural ability to process a spate of disparate information, especially when it comes to them aurally, rather than in writing. Some people can make a mental list in their head of what they're hearing and then press the buttons in order. But MANY people do not have that natural ability and simply can not do it. They are not stupid or ignorant, their brains do not work like that and no amount of effort can make them acquire that ability.

As a result, when I give an order with non-standard requests, I wait until they have keyed in the basic information, then slowly list what I want. And FTR, when I do so, the cashier invariably asks, "Did you used to work as a cashier?" because they realize someone is talking their language, as it were.

Heh, I worked at Taco Bell once, and about a year later I was eating at a Taco Bell when I overheard someone trying to order something odd and the cashier wondering out loud how to enter it. I called out a whole series of buttons that would get him where he wanted to go and he just looked at me with bogglement  ;D

lowspark

« Reply #6400 on: January 10, 2013, 12:14:53 PM »
Another fast food related thing that made my brain hurt.  I don't know just how universal it is but at least in our town, most of the fast food restaurants have arranged their drive through so that when you are done getting your food, your car is usually pointed toward the exit.  Which usually means you go in a C shape around the building. 

There's a Chik-Fil-A near our grocery store and last Friday, while leaving, I saw a sign posted that faced the entrance of their lot saying "Drive through goes around the building."

It's a good thing I was in the car with just Piratebabe because I couldn't help but say "Well, DUH!" I mean, really? They needed a sign to point out the obvious? No other fast food joints in town have such a sign outside their buildings, and you can see the pickup window on the same side of the building as the sign!

Granted, usually a sign would be put into place because someone proved it was necessary, and you know, I'm going to actually hope that's the case and it's not a matter of the managers thinking their clientele are just that stupid.

I'm laughing at the bolded.
Either the manager thinks the clientele is stupid or they are stupid. Or well, at least enough of them are stupid that it necessitated action on the part of the manager. I'm actually not sure which is worse!  ??? :D

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6401 on: January 10, 2013, 12:20:55 PM »
I think what also makes me laugh is the Chik-Fil-A is the only fast food place in town that I've seen with such a sign.  Which means the other places haven't had a problem with this so makes me wonder if the one who seems to have a problem getting this concept only ever eats at Chik-Fil-A?

Who knows, but it struck me as kind of funny. 
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

lowspark

« Reply #6402 on: January 10, 2013, 12:25:56 PM »
I just had a thought... maybe it's the manager who's that stupid. Maybe he's the one who thought, hmmmm... the drive thru goes around the building? Who knew? I better warn the customers.

To be fair, although most drive thrus wrap around the building, not all do. Not sure about fast food places, as I can't think of any who don't, but banks (in my experience) don't so maybe that's sort of where the manager is coming from.

Also, in some situations where the line does wrap around the building, there are opportunities for line cutters, or for people to snake the line out instead of around. Maybe that's what happened in this situation.

I'm giving way too much thought to this!  :D :D

nalapuppy

• always drink upstream from the herd
« Reply #6403 on: January 10, 2013, 12:48:54 PM »
Heh, I worked at Taco Bell once, and about a year later I was eating at a Taco Bell when I overheard someone trying to order something odd and the cashier wondering out loud how to enter it. I called out a whole series of buttons that would get him where he wanted to go and he just looked at me with bogglement  ;D

This word made me smile.  It just sounds so confusing but playful......kind of a fun word.

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6404 on: January 10, 2013, 01:20:18 PM »

This word made me smile.  It just sounds so confusing but playful......kind of a fun word.

Thanks. :) I like words...even the ones I coin on a whim. (Though google tells me other people have coined it too!)