Author Topic: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt  (Read 951515 times)

Luci45

• Super Hero!
Re: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt
« Reply #6420 on: January 11, 2013, 08:17:16 AM »
You have pretty much summed up why I never go through a  drive through. That and having to reach out the car window and juggle stuff.

I did go to the bank drive through when our son was in the child seat on the back of my bicycle, but even then only to the window closest to the cashier.

I presume you are talking about a couple of different establishments if one only has bottle drinks.

Giggity

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6421 on: January 11, 2013, 08:30:48 AM »
Could the fast-food stories be on another thread, please?
Words mean things.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6422 on: January 11, 2013, 09:03:21 AM »
I think what also makes me laugh is the Chik-Fil-A is the only fast food place in town that I've seen with such a sign.  Which means the other places haven't had a problem with this so makes me wonder if the one who seems to have a problem getting this concept only ever eats at Chik-Fil-A?

Who knows, but it struck me as kind of funny.

If the Chik-Fil-A is like the one near my office they are saying the line wraps around the building.  At lunch this ones drive through line actually wraps twice around the building and they are trying to let clients know to not try cutting in from one of the other parking lot entrances.  But it is odd wording.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6423 on: January 11, 2013, 11:25:24 AM »
Discussion with my boss this am. BG: My job is to gather filings posted on a certain government website that relates to our industry, save, upload, and link them. I then distribute them, as we all summarize different issues. end BG

My boss is big on consitency and uniformity, and sometimes a lot of the filings are either similar, or identical to prior ones, which means all I have to do is use the same summary, but change the date, people met with, and link. I had one today which was similar, but not the same, but related to the same original document. So I pulled up a prior summary, simply to see how we started it off. But the actual summary of the doc was for the current doc. However, I inadvertantly linked the prior doc, rather than the new one.

So bossman sends me an email, asking if this doc really is new, since the link is to an older one. I said oops, no, sorry, here's the correct link, use this one. No need to say the summary is accurate; had it been wroing, I would have corrected that as well.

Apparetnly he didnt' get it as he comes over the my desk, and asks me about it. I said "the summary is correct, I just linked the wrong doc, as I pulled the old summary to see how we began it, so it was the same as the prior one"  He still didn't get it since he asked if the summary needed to be changed, and told me that the first doc was 9 pages, and this was only 4, so they were NOT the same. Please note I never said they were, but they related to the same original doc, and I wanted to make the FIRST SENTENCE the same, but the rest reflected what the current doc actually said. 

He does that all the time, he can't be bothered to listen carefully, and then doesn't understand what you're saying, so assumes YOU are the one who's wrong.

Shalamar

« Reply #6424 on: January 11, 2013, 01:20:49 PM »
You could hand it to the counter staff

That might not work.  I tried that at our local Pita Pit one day (I had an order for four pitas, and I knew that I wouldn't remember everything, so I wrote it down).  I tried to hand it to the counter person, but she held up her hands (which were wearing plastic gloves) and said "I can't take that; it wouldn't be sanitary." 

If the person you'd give it to isn't the person who'd be actually making the food, however, I don't see why it would be a problem.

athersgeo

• No one told you when to run
« Reply #6425 on: January 11, 2013, 06:56:18 PM »
You have pretty much summed up why I never go through a  drive through. That and having to reach out the car window and juggle stuff.

I did go to the bank drive through when our son was in the child seat on the back of my bicycle, but even then only to the window closest to the cashier.

I presume you are talking about a couple of different establishments if one only has bottle drinks.

Nope, same place each time. The bottled drinks thing was because they had no running water and thus no coffee, no fountain drinks, no tea...all things that they sell in vast quantities at 7am because they're the only place open. I'm still boggled as to why they didn't have a sign up or, heck (since they can't have been able to do any washing up) why they were even open.

Further brain hurty (of the non fast food variety):
I used to work for a taxi company, answering the phones and taking bookings. This was a job chock full of stupidity, but in the two years I worked there, nothing ever beat the following conversation that one of our drivers had with a policeman.

Driver was stopped(with passengers on board).
PC (to passengers): sir, madam; please step out of the car.
Male passenger: why?
PC: I have reason to believe this isn't a real taxi.
Male passenger: what?!
PC: yes; he was obeying the speed limit...

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #6426 on: January 11, 2013, 11:50:48 PM »
why would you keep a bumper detail on your car, especially a slightly "controversial" one like a Darwin Fish if you didn't agree with it?  Maybe he didn't know what it meant?

Because you figure it'll be a lot of work to remove it.
Or because you just don't ever remember at a time when you can go to the trouble of removing it.

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #6427 on: January 12, 2013, 03:12:03 AM »
Further brain hurty (of the non fast food variety):
I used to work for a taxi company, answering the phones and taking bookings. This was a job chock full of stupidity, but in the two years I worked there, nothing ever beat the following conversation that one of our drivers had with a policeman.

Driver was stopped(with passengers on board).
PC (to passengers): sir, madam; please step out of the car.
Male passenger: why?
PC: I have reason to believe this isn't a real taxi.
Male passenger: what?!
PC: yes; he was obeying the speed limit...

This is an oooooooold joke - at least around these parts. Guess somebody heard it and was inspired to try it out themselves.

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6428 on: January 12, 2013, 10:53:49 AM »
This isn't quite a brain-hurt, but it's close.

MIL is being visited by one of her grandchildren who we'll call Jimmy.  We had a nice phone chat this morning and MIL remarked that Jimmy is getting taller. 

Jimmy is tall to begin with. In his youth he was known as 'the telephone pole with feet'. He's now in his mid 40s.  There is no way on this good earth that he's getting any taller. 

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6429 on: January 12, 2013, 10:58:15 AM »
This isn't quite a brain-hurt, but it's close.

MIL is being visited by one of her grandchildren who we'll call Jimmy.  We had a nice phone chat this morning and MIL remarked that Jimmy is getting taller. 

Jimmy is tall to begin with. In his youth he was known as 'the telephone pole with feet'. He's now in his mid 40s.  There is no way on this good earth that he's getting any taller.

No, you're right.  But it IS possible that MIL is getting shorter.  That really does happen when you get older.  I've already lost about an inch in height.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6430 on: January 12, 2013, 11:45:26 AM »
Oh yes.  We know this does happen.  MIL knows it too. She has lost about an inch of height.    We all  know how discs in the spine can compact with advancing age.     

It just seemed funny that she should say that Jimmy is growing taller.     

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6431 on: January 12, 2013, 11:49:01 AM »
Oh yes.  We know this does happen.  MIL knows it too. She has lost about an inch of height.    We all  know how discs in the spine can compact with advancing age.     

Well, from her viewing angle he IS!!   ;D

mmswm

« Reply #6432 on: January 12, 2013, 02:28:20 PM »

Well, from her viewing angle he IS!!   ;D

lol.  It's sort of like how I say that my arms are getting shorter, as I can't quite hold something far enough away to be able to read it without my reading glasses on.

A.P. Wulfric

« Reply #6433 on: January 12, 2013, 04:27:23 PM »
This is brain-hurty in a funny way. Keep in mind that the Students are 11.

Me: Can anyone name a non-renewable natural resource?
Student:  Oil!
Me: Great! How about a renewable resource?
Student 2: Trees? Corn? 
Me: Sure. 
Student 3: wait.  CRUD MONKEYS!.  If corn oil is from corn, and olive oil is from olives...is baby oil from babies?????

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #6434 on: January 12, 2013, 04:37:27 PM »
This is brain-hurty in a funny way. Keep in mind that the Students are 11.

Me: Can anyone name a non-renewable natural resource?
Student:  Oil!
Me: Great! How about a renewable resource?
Student 2: Trees? Corn? 
Me: Sure. 
Student 3: wait.  CRUD MONKEYS!.  If corn oil is from corn, and olive oil is from olives...is baby oil from babies?????

"Are they made from real Girl Scouts?"
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain