Author Topic: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt  (Read 1043555 times)

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
Re: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt
« Reply #6465 on: January 16, 2013, 09:52:15 AM »
Insurrection?  Now my brain hurts...

Otterpop

« Reply #6466 on: January 17, 2013, 10:53:28 PM »
Undiscovered Country was actually pretty good.  The movies that followed were, by and large, junk (except First Contact, which was merely "meh".)

Of course, the absolute worst of the series is the latest one by JJ Abrahms (these are the voyages of the starship Apple Store)

Thanks for making my new computer screen order a "rush" from IT today.   ;D

OOooops!  I got the name wrong.  Which was the one where they journey to the planet where God supposedly resides?  They ultimately find an unexplained Poseidon monster that tries to kill them.  They escape, the end.  (Shatner wrote that one).

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #6467 on: January 17, 2013, 11:15:56 PM »
THAT is Star Trek V: The Final Frontier (of Shatner's bloated ego).  It is widely regarded to be the worst of all Trek, narrowly beating out anything else Shatner had a personal hand in.

Otterpop

« Reply #6468 on: January 18, 2013, 12:11:22 AM »
THAT is Star Trek V: The Final Frontier (of Shatner's bloated ego).  It is widely regarded to be the worst of all Trek, narrowly beating out anything else Shatner had a personal hand in.

Yes, there it is!   One star on Rotten Tomatoes.

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #6469 on: January 18, 2013, 01:12:42 AM »
Perhaps a spin-off thread could be created for the Star Trek discussions?

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

PeterM

« Reply #6470 on: January 18, 2013, 01:17:11 AM »

I went to a Star Trek con in the early 90's where one of the speakers was some exec who'd been involved with Trek for quite awhile. During his speech he basically apologized for Star Trek V, which was hilarious. He did make a point of defending Shatner's ability as a director. He said the problem was that Shatner also wrote the script. I'm willing to believe that.

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #6471 on: January 18, 2013, 01:21:35 AM »
We had the funeral for my church's choir director tonight. We also happened to get the worst snowstorm we've had in years tonight. We almost had to cancel the funeral, because we thought only 5 people other than the family and pastor were going to be there (it wasn't; we ended up having 70 people).

My pastor, who was born and raised in the Deep South, and pastored there, was talking to me and the organist for the service and he said: "I've never had this [snowing out of a funeral] happen before." I gave him a blank look until he realized why and amended: "Oh. Yeah. I've only served in Deep South state." Yes, Pastor. There isn't a whole lot of snow in the Deep South.
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #6472 on: January 18, 2013, 03:04:08 AM »
We had the funeral for my church's choir director tonight. We also happened to get the worst snowstorm we've had in years tonight. We almost had to cancel the funeral, because we thought only 5 people other than the family and pastor were going to be there (it wasn't; we ended up having 70 people).

My pastor, who was born and raised in the Deep South, and pastored there, was talking to me and the organist for the service and he said: "I've never had this [snowing out of a funeral] happen before." I gave him a blank look until he realized why and amended: "Oh. Yeah. I've only served in Deep South state." Yes, Pastor. There isn't a whole lot of snow in the Deep South.

There was today!  DH and Babybartfast were all excited to go out and build a snowman.  I, who grew up in Wisconsin and have had enough snow to last me several lifetimes, offered to stay inside and guard the hot chocolate until they returned  ;D

The brain-hurty part is seeing all my friends post pictures of their own backyards and the complete LACK of anything resembling snow, while complaining about how the whole city shut down for a few flakes in the air.  It looks like the inch we got was localized to the mile around our house!  (DH and Babybartfast did make a snowman on the back porch - it's about a foot high.)  To be fair, though, we also live very near a few roads lots of people have to commute on, and our city doesn't have the resources to effectively salt or sand, so for once it did make sense to close schools early and such.  And even though I am totally comfortable driving on a slushy road, I'll still hole up at home because everyone else on the road drives like an idiot . . .

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #6473 on: January 18, 2013, 08:55:42 AM »

Yes, there it is!   One star on Rotten Tomatoes.

Dodgeball - it was bad before his walk on and no better afterward.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Cami

« Reply #6474 on: January 18, 2013, 09:01:09 AM »
We "do" events at my workplace. I answer the phone and the following brain hurty conversation ensues:

Him: I have a question about XYZ Event.
Me: Go ahead!
Him: What does that mean?
Me: Go ahead and ask your question.
Him: Tell me about XYZ Event.
Me: The dates are--
Him: I KNOW the dates.
Me: The location is--
Him: I know the location!
Me: The price is--
Him: I KNOW the price.
Me: The lodging is at --
Him: I know the hotel and the prices! Just tell me about the event!
Me: The theme is abc and the entertainment will be--
Him: I don't care what the entertainment or theme is! Tell me about the XYZ Event!
Me: How can I help you? What is your specific question?
Him: I want to KNOW about this event.
Me: Again, I'm not sure what you want to know. Can you be more specific?
Him: I just want the BASIC information!
Me: Please tell me what basic information you want other than dates, location, price, theme, hotel and entertainment.
Him: Stop jerking me around and tell me about this event!
Me: I'm sorry if you feel I'm jerking you around but I honestly need a specific question to give you an answer.
Him: I'll call back and hope to get someone who knows what they're doing.

He called back and got my boss, who had a nearly identical conversation with him. We still do not know what information he was seeking. We just hope he does not attend!

Giggity

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6475 on: January 18, 2013, 10:05:57 AM »
Lol, I guess my brain is hurting as to why you were "all  ???  >:("

It's clear you don't like this woman, but that sounds like a sympathetic "don't give up", even if she phrased it oddly.

It was the tone of her voice, it's not easy to describe but that made all the difference. It was almost like she was implying that I wouldn't be worthy of actually getting a job I would like. I haven't spoken in ages with her but it struck me as odd and a bit mean, not what I was expecting.

Honestly, that sounds a lot like you reading something into what she said, way beyond what she actually did say.
Words mean things.

Giggity

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6476 on: January 18, 2013, 10:07:23 AM »
Then,  I added that I was working at a dinner theatre.  (This was a part-time job to bring in some tuition money.  I worked in the box office taking reservations.)  She said "Oh?  Doing what?  Cleaning bathrooms?"

You: I'm working at a dinner theatre.

Her: Doing what? Cleaning bathrooms?

You: Um, no, box office. Why would you think that?
Words mean things.

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #6477 on: January 18, 2013, 10:11:03 AM »

There was today!  DH and Babybartfast were all excited to go out and build a snowman.  I, who grew up in Wisconsin and have had enough snow to last me several lifetimes, offered to stay inside and guard the hot chocolate until they returned  ;D

The brain-hurty part is seeing all my friends post pictures of their own backyards and the complete LACK of anything resembling snow, while complaining about how the whole city shut down for a few flakes in the air.  It looks like the inch we got was localized to the mile around our house!  (DH and Babybartfast did make a snowman on the back porch - it's about a foot high.)  To be fair, though, we also live very near a few roads lots of people have to commute on, and our city doesn't have the resources to effectively salt or sand, so for once it did make sense to close schools early and such.  And even though I am totally comfortable driving on a slushy road, I'll still hole up at home because everyone else on the road drives like an idiot . . .

Ya'll got lucky - we have 2.5 - 3 inches, and some people (and at least one elementary school have lost power. Plus, the stuff thawed and re - froze over night, so extra - super fun.
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

Shalamar

« Reply #6478 on: January 18, 2013, 11:19:01 AM »
You: I'm working at a dinner theatre.

Her: Doing what? Cleaning bathrooms?

You: Um, no, box office. Why would you think that?

Heh.  That is, essentially, how I replied, except for the "Why would you think that?" part.  I wish I'd said that, but I still had the whole "respect your elders" thing going on.  Despite the fact that we were both adults by that point, and she wasn't respecting me.

snowflake

« Reply #6479 on: January 18, 2013, 12:25:13 PM »
Not to continue the Star Trek thing but it reminds me of one brain hurty moment.  I like a whole lot of different genres of fiction and don't have "my" genre.  So at one point a friend of mine and I had discussed a couple of Star Trek/Star Wars novels that we had both read.

Him: "Read anything good lately?"
Me: Well I'm reading this new series by Mercedes Lackey which isn't high literature but it's entertaining.
Him: Mercedes Lackey?  She's fantasy!  You couldn't pay me enough to read fantasy. I have to read Sci Fi like Star Trek because it's not crazy-made up stuff.  It's real life!

And then my brain just hurt. I don't think I came up with a suitable answer, I think I just stared at him in horror.