Author Topic: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt  (Read 1053431 times)

Dazi

• like the flower
Re: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt
« Reply #6540 on: January 21, 2013, 09:52:21 AM »
^^^ I never said he was a SS.  IMO, he was just very irresponsible to go to a gun range with little or no experience and as he was removed, the business thought so as well.  Rules are posted.

This range does allow you to shoot their weapons and will assist you in doing so, but this man was using his own firearm....in which case, he needed to know at least the basics before ever coming there. 

Someone like that is a danger to himself and to others on a range.  He had zero business being there without, at least, another person who was experienced or taking a safety class and beginner class.

I know nothing about gun ownership but if I decided to take up the sport, I would assume that a gun range would be the place to go. I might in fact buy a gun and go to the range which I would assume would be a good place to get lessons or experience.

Nothing you have written shows me that the man was anything other than inexperienced at gun ownership and trying to gain some practice in a safe environment.

If the rules were posted, why was he allowed onto the range in the first place, don't they do a licence check or something?

Possibly it seems obvious to you as an experienced gun owner but to me his actions seem fine. I'd go to a gun range long before I'd start playing with an unfamiliar gun in my house.

You do not have to have a license to purchase a gun in the US.  The only requirements I know of are you can't be a felon, mentally ill and must be over 21 to purchase a handgun.

I would hope to Deity that it this would fall into the catergory of common sense that a novice shouldn't not try to handle a firearm on a live range alone.  A range is a perfectly acceptable place to gain practice and experience AFTER one has taken at least the appropriate safety course/beginner class (which every range and gun shop I've ever been to usually offers several times a month) and been on range with an instructor at least once/preferably more. 

It is a weapon and should be treated as such.  A novice is much more likely to accidentally discharge a firearm, potentially hurting or killing themselves or someone else. 

Ideally one should not purchase a firearm until after one learns to use it.  It sort of like buying a car, you want to test drive and see what works best for you before committing. Many shops will let you try before you buy for this reason...what works for one person does not work for another and lefties got a whole nother bunch of issues.

Just for example, I've seen a plane flown.  It doesn't mean I'm going to go rent a plane and just get in the cockpit and just start flying.  I think everyone would agree that is just ridiculous for me to think I could do.  Even knowing how to drive a car, I know I should not get in a bus or semi and attempt to drive it without proper training.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #6541 on: January 21, 2013, 10:09:44 AM »
My youngest sister in law is a high school English teacher, posted a picture on FB that made my brain hurt.  It's a picture of a late assignment turned in by one of her students (name and student ID not in the shot).  Under the question, "Why is this assignment late?" the student's only answer is YOLO.  Nothing else.  Why someone would think this is an acceptable answer is beyond me.  My SIL circled it and wrote "Really?" next to it.  I'm wondering how much credit the student will actually get.

If this becomes a trend she should start giving it back...

AWDM  (Assignment Was Due Monday)
LTPR  (Learn To Prioritize Responsibly)
YCHC  (Your Choices Have Consequences)

I could do this all day.  ;D

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6542 on: January 21, 2013, 10:13:35 AM »
My youngest sister in law is a high school English teacher, posted a picture on FB that made my brain hurt.  It's a picture of a late assignment turned in by one of her students (name and student ID not in the shot).  Under the question, "Why is this assignment late?" the student's only answer is YOLO.  Nothing else.  Why someone would think this is an acceptable answer is beyond me.  My SIL circled it and wrote "Really?" next to it.  I'm wondering how much credit the student will actually get.

;D ;D ;D

YGAF (You Get an F)

Hazmat

• This Veteran is heavily medicated for your protection
  • How can I miss you if you won't go away?
    • Chronus Is Latin For Time
« Reply #6543 on: January 21, 2013, 10:15:05 AM »
^^^ I never said he was a SS.  IMO, he was just very irresponsible to go to a gun range with little or no experience and as he was removed, the business thought so as well.  Rules are posted.

This range does allow you to shoot their weapons and will assist you in doing so, but this man was using his own firearm....in which case, he needed to know at least the basics before ever coming there. 

Someone like that is a danger to himself and to others on a range.  He had zero business being there without, at least, another person who was experienced or taking a safety class and beginner class.

I know nothing about gun ownership but if I decided to take up the sport, I would assume that a gun range would be the place to go. I might in fact buy a gun and go to the range which I would assume would be a good place to get lessons or experience.

Nothing you have written shows me that the man was anything other than inexperienced at gun ownership and trying to gain some practice in a safe environment.

If the rules were posted, why was he allowed onto the range in the first place, don't they do a licence check or something?

Possibly it seems obvious to you as an experienced gun owner but to me his actions seem fine. I'd go to a gun range long before I'd start playing with an unfamiliar gun in my house.

You do not have to have a license to purchase a gun in the US.  The only requirements I know of are you can't be a felon, mentally ill and must be over 21 to purchase a handgun.

I would hope to Deity that it this would fall into the catergory of common sense that a novice shouldn't not try to handle a firearm on a live range alone.  A range is a perfectly acceptable place to gain practice and experience AFTER one has taken at least the appropriate safety course/beginner class (which every range and gun shop I've ever been to usually offers several times a month) and been on range with an instructor at least once/preferably more. 

It is a weapon and should be treated as such.  A novice is much more likely to accidentally discharge a firearm, potentially hurting or killing themselves or someone else. 

Ideally one should not purchase a firearm until after one learns to use it.  It sort of like buying a car, you want to test drive and see what works best for you before committing. Many shops will let you try before you buy for this reason...what works for one person does not work for another and lefties got a whole nother bunch of issues.

Just for example, I've seen a plane flown.  It doesn't mean I'm going to go rent a plane and just get in the cockpit and just start flying.  I think everyone would agree that is just ridiculous for me to think I could do.  Even knowing how to drive a car, I know I should not get in a bus or semi and attempt to drive it without proper training.
News story on the radio this AM about a man shooting himself in the hand while trying to load a .45 pistol yesterday.  Where did this happen?  At the Indy Gun & Knife Show.
A guest is a jewel on the cushion of hospitality. -Nero Wolfe

Indiana

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #6544 on: January 21, 2013, 10:33:01 AM »
Well, if she meant she thought Stoker was writing nonfiction, yes, that's brain hurty. But if she just meant that Stoker wrote scary vampires like the ones from older folklore, and Meyer's are much more toned down, then she's on to something!  ;D

I agree, if she meant "real" as in "reflecting the original folklore of the area where Vlad Tepes once lived," her comment makes sense.

That's true. It the context it did sound more like she meant "the vampires from the older folklore were real", (so not that Stoker's Dracula was real, but that it was based on a true story), but it might be better to give her the benefit of doubt.

But the thing is that Dracula doesn't follow the older folklore either. Some of Bram Stoker's changes are as glaring as sparkly vampires. The Eastern European vampire was basically a corpse, much closer to our idea of a zombie: bloated, purplish-green skin (although much less decomposed than what would be expected of a real corpse at the same point), half grown hair and foul smelling. Not the suave count who could change into mist.

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6545 on: January 21, 2013, 10:36:24 AM »
Well, if she meant she thought Stoker was writing nonfiction, yes, that's brain hurty. But if she just meant that Stoker wrote scary vampires like the ones from older folklore, and Meyer's are much more toned down, then she's on to something!  ;D

I agree, if she meant "real" as in "reflecting the original folklore of the area where Vlad Tepes once lived," her comment makes sense.

That's true. It the context it did sound more like she meant "the vampires from the older folklore were real", (so not that Stoker's Dracula was real, but that it was based on a true story), but it might be better to give her the benefit of doubt.

But the thing is that Dracula doesn't follow the older folklore either. Some of Bram Stoker's changes are as glaring as sparkly vampires. The Eastern European vampire was basically a corpse, much closer to our idea of a zombie: bloated, purplish-green skin (although much less decomposed than what would be expected of a real corpse at the same point), half grown hair and foul smelling. Not the suave count who could change into mist.

True, but at least he was still scary!  ;D

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6546 on: January 21, 2013, 11:12:45 AM »

;D ;D ;D

YGAF (You Get an F)

My first hearty out-loud laugh of the day.  Thank you all!!   ;D

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6547 on: January 21, 2013, 11:31:27 AM »
Dazi wrote:

"Just for example, I've seen a plane flown.  It doesn't mean I'm going to go rent a plane and just get in the cockpit and just start flying.  I think everyone would agree that is just ridiculous for me to think I could do.  Even knowing how to drive a car, I know I should not get in a bus or semi and attempt to drive it without proper training."

This is the part that makes my brain hurt.  Most people who have no gun experience don't have any idea how complex gun use can be, so treating these examples as parallel is unfair.  I agree that people who do know are wise to step in as soon as they see a situation like someone who owns a gun not knowing how to load a magazine, but acting like the guy is being as dumb as someone who would try to fly a plane without practice is condescending.  Nobody is born knowing this stuff, and the major danger in firearms is that they're easy to use so the danger isn't readily obvious to the untrained.  The first time a friend of mine took me to a shooting range (which was the first time I ever fired a gun) I made some seriously dangerous rookie mistakes (mostly violating rule number three, not paying close attention to where the pistol was pointed and not setting the safety when I should have), and I had no idea I was doing it.  I was just lucky enough to be in the presence of someone who knew better and who was willing to help me.  I wasn't too dumb to handle a firearm, just unfamiliar with it and unaware of the safety rules.  I'd love to see a rule that forbids someone from buying a firearm until they've passed a basic safety course, but in the absence of that rule it's just a matter of a rookie not realizing the danger.

Virg

BabyMama

• Jamberry Nail Wraps
« Reply #6548 on: January 21, 2013, 12:42:06 PM »

YOLO. But you can take this class over and over and over again.  ;D
Ask me about Jamberry Nail Wraps!

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6549 on: January 21, 2013, 12:47:04 PM »

;D  Another good one!!  I'm loving this.

Tea Drinker

• Now part of Team Land Crab
« Reply #6550 on: January 21, 2013, 12:48:48 PM »

Just to note: as with many other things in the U.S., this varies from one place to another in this large country.

I don't know for sure that I would need a license to buy a handgun where I live, but I would need a license to posess or transport it, even unloaded. Every so often someone from another state who didn't know this is unpleasantly surprised when the TSA finds a gun in their carry-on luggage at JFK, asks to see their license, and then calls the local police because the person doesn't have a handgun license.

On the other hand, neither "I forgot I had a loaded gun in my carry-on bag" nor "I didn't realize I'm not allowed to have a gun in my carry-on luggage" shows a great deal of situational awareness, given the number of signs the TSA puts up about things you can't carry onto a plane.
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

Shalamar

« Reply #6551 on: January 21, 2013, 12:59:24 PM »
I have on a MyLawSchool sweatshirt today.

That reminds me of when I wore my old MBA sweatshirt to work over my nice sweater (it was a very cold day, so I needed a little extra warmth until I got to the office).  A co-worker saw it and snickered "MBA, huh?  Who'd you steal that from?"  I said "Um, it's mine, actually."  "YOU have an MBA?"  "Yep."

In fairness, I'm a computer programmer, not a manager, so I could kind of understand his puzzlement.  Still, the assumption that I couldn't possibly have earned a Master's myself made my brain hurt.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #6552 on: January 21, 2013, 02:12:09 PM »

And this is a major consequence of insomnia... I was sleeping when I should have been posting this.

PeterM

« Reply #6553 on: January 21, 2013, 02:18:45 PM »
We always get asked at our store if we want the milk in bags. I used to say yes, but since their bags are a bit flimsy I've just started saying no, and they don't have a problem with it.

At least half the stores around here don't put things like milk or bags of potatoes in bags unless you specifically ask them to. Even when I ask, they often ask if I'm sure. Yes, I'm sure that a container of milk in a bag with handles allows me to carry more items from the car into my home than if I had to devote an inordinate amount of grip space to one measly item.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #6554 on: January 21, 2013, 02:20:40 PM »

And this is a major consequence of insomnia... I was sleeping when I should have been posting this.
YGBK
 You Gotta Be Kidding
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?