Author Topic: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt  (Read 951191 times)

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
Re: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt
« Reply #6555 on: January 21, 2013, 02:20:40 PM »
My youngest sister in law is a high school English teacher, posted a picture on FB that made my brain hurt.  It's a picture of a late assignment turned in by one of her students (name and student ID not in the shot).  Under the question, "Why is this assignment late?" the student's only answer is YOLO.  Nothing else.  Why someone would think this is an acceptable answer is beyond me.  My SIL circled it and wrote "Really?" next to it.  I'm wondering how much credit the student will actually get.

YOLO. But you can take this class over and over and over again.  ;D

;D  Another good one!!  I'm loving this.

And this is a major consequence of insomnia... I was sleeping when I should have been posting this.
YGBK
 You Gotta Be Kidding
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Iris

« Reply #6556 on: January 21, 2013, 04:01:50 PM »
My youngest sister in law is a high school English teacher, posted a picture on FB that made my brain hurt.  It's a picture of a late assignment turned in by one of her students (name and student ID not in the shot).  Under the question, "Why is this assignment late?" the student's only answer is YOLO.  Nothing else.  Why someone would think this is an acceptable answer is beyond me.  My SIL circled it and wrote "Really?" next to it.  I'm wondering how much credit the student will actually get.

And this is a major consequence of insomnia... I was sleeping when I should have been posting this.
YGBK
 You Gotta Be Kidding

Keep 'em coming people. I get the "YOLO" response to "Why haven't you done your homework/studied for this exam?" at least once a year. I'm filing all these away for future use  ;D
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6557 on: January 21, 2013, 04:06:58 PM »

YGBK
 You Gotta Be Kidding

Keep 'em coming people. I get the "YOLO" response to "Why haven't you done your homework/studied for this exam?" at least once a year. I'm filing all these away for future use  ;D
Student: YOLO
Teacher: BFMT (But Flunk Many Times)

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #6558 on: January 21, 2013, 04:35:51 PM »

YGBK
 You Gotta Be Kidding

GTFO  :)

Iris

« Reply #6559 on: January 21, 2013, 04:50:39 PM »

YGBK
 You Gotta Be Kidding

Bahahahahahahahahahahahaha. I wish.
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

Coruscation

« Reply #6560 on: January 21, 2013, 04:55:56 PM »
Dazi wrote:

"Just for example, I've seen a plane flown.  It doesn't mean I'm going to go rent a plane and just get in the cockpit and just start flying.  I think everyone would agree that is just ridiculous for me to think I could do.  Even knowing how to drive a car, I know I should not get in a bus or semi and attempt to drive it without proper training."

This is the part that makes my brain hurt.  Most people who have no gun experience don't have any idea how complex gun use can be, so treating these examples as parallel is unfair.  I agree that people who do know are wise to step in as soon as they see a situation like someone who owns a gun not knowing how to load a magazine, but acting like the guy is being as dumb as someone who would try to fly a plane without practice is condescending.  Nobody is born knowing this stuff, and the major danger in firearms is that they're easy to use so the danger isn't readily obvious to the untrained.  The first time a friend of mine took me to a shooting range (which was the first time I ever fired a gun) I made some seriously dangerous rookie mistakes (mostly violating rule number three, not paying close attention to where the pistol was pointed and not setting the safety when I should have), and I had no idea I was doing it.  I was just lucky enough to be in the presence of someone who knew better and who was willing to help me.  I wasn't too dumb to handle a firearm, just unfamiliar with it and unaware of the safety rules.  I'd love to see a rule that forbids someone from buying a firearm until they've passed a basic safety course, but in the absence of that rule it's just a matter of a rookie not realizing the danger.

Virg

Thank you. I thought there was a strong tone of 'this guy doesn't know what to do therefore he is stupid' in the first post. The clerk accepted his money without any sort of check on his skill level, he asked for help when he needed it and didn't object when an employee was sent with him to assist. Then he was asked to leave, which he did and the poster doesn't mention him getting a refund. It's possible that he was given or inherited the gun. If I was getting this attitude from the gun range, I don't think I'd return. As I said, the only time I have fired a gun, I was on holiday in Hawaii and paid to fire at a range, so it would seem completely normal to me. I don't know what was different about this range, perhaps they had special safety features that enabled a bunch of amateurs to fire together? bulletproof glass between the lanes?

I asked a friend of my husbands about Australia's gun laws and you have to have a reason to get a licence. One reason is that you are a member of a gun club. Gaining membership takes about six months (starting from scratch) and includes the safety courses.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #6561 on: January 21, 2013, 05:56:18 PM »

YGBK
 You Gotta Be Kidding

SSCATY - Summer School Comes Again This Year
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6562 on: January 21, 2013, 06:03:04 PM »

YGBK
 You Gotta Be Kidding

Everyone else seems to understand this already, but I can't figure out what YOLO stands for...

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #6563 on: January 21, 2013, 06:06:33 PM »
You only live once

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #6564 on: January 21, 2013, 06:06:52 PM »
You
Only
Live
Once

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #6565 on: January 21, 2013, 06:13:31 PM »

YGBK
 You Gotta Be Kidding

YOLOSWWYWTWIRG
You Only Live Once So Why Would You Want To Waste It Repeating Grades?

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #6566 on: January 21, 2013, 06:48:09 PM »

YGBK
 You Gotta Be Kidding

YOLOSWWYWTWIRG
You Only Live Once So Why Would You Want To Waste It Repeating Grades?
I'm going with this for the win
My Photography Gallery
http://www.ctartisticphotos.com/

Kaymyth

« Reply #6567 on: January 21, 2013, 07:49:11 PM »
You only live once

Or alternatively, You Obviously Love Owls.

Owls!  Everyone is fond of owls...

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #6568 on: January 21, 2013, 09:06:44 PM »
The man makes my brain hurt. Would you want to be on the freeway next to a vehicle being "driven" by someone whose entire knowledge of driving was that you point the car with the steering wheel, and make it go with the gas pedal? That's what we shooters feel when confronted by someone like that.

Anyone who doesn't know the 4 rules of gun safety* should not be anywhere near one. Chances are that guy didn't. If you don't know how to load your gun, you don't know how to make sure it is unloaded. If you don't know that, you (and those around you) are not safe.

*http://thefiringline.com/Misc/safetyrules.html

Slightly OT: woohoo, I knew the four safety rules! Probably a good thing, given that I grew up around guns and have shot one before (though not in years).
I word them slightly differently but the meaning is the same.

Sis and I gave neighborhood parents  brain hurts, by refusing to play with toy guns. We would make guns with our fingers, or twigs but anything that looked real forget it. They would get NO you don't point a gun at someone unless you are going to kill them. Variation on rule 2. A bunch of the neighbors were yankees and the parents hadn't grown up with guns. Over time their kids would get curious about our real guns. We would tell Dad they were asking questions and Dad would call their parents. He would offer to take them (parents and kids) to our farm and show them how the guns work. Even let them fire the guns. Most of the parents just sent the kids with us. Dad settled the curiosity and drilled gun safety into their heads. 

Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6569 on: January 21, 2013, 09:12:53 PM »
You only live once

Or alternatively, You Obviously Love Owls.

Owls!  Everyone is fond of owls...

LOL!   ;D

But then this wouldn't apply in this case because of course everyone knows owls are very smart and always hand in their homework on time.  ;)