Author Topic: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt  (Read 1052167 times)

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
Re: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt
« Reply #6570 on: January 21, 2013, 09:46:37 PM »
The man makes my brain hurt. Would you want to be on the freeway next to a vehicle being "driven" by someone whose entire knowledge of driving was that you point the car with the steering wheel, and make it go with the gas pedal? That's what we shooters feel when confronted by someone like that.

Anyone who doesn't know the 4 rules of gun safety* should not be anywhere near one. Chances are that guy didn't. If you don't know how to load your gun, you don't know how to make sure it is unloaded. If you don't know that, you (and those around you) are not safe.

*http://thefiringline.com/Misc/safetyrules.html

Slightly OT: woohoo, I knew the four safety rules! Probably a good thing, given that I grew up around guns and have shot one before (though not in years).
I word them slightly differently but the meaning is the same.

Sis and I gave neighborhood parents  brain hurts, by refusing to play with toy guns. We would make guns with our fingers, or twigs but anything that looked real forget it. They would get NO you don't point a gun at someone unless you are going to kill them. Variation on rule 2. A bunch of the neighbors were yankees and the parents hadn't grown up with guns. Over time their kids would get curious about our real guns. We would tell Dad they were asking questions and Dad would call their parents. He would offer to take them (parents and kids) to our farm and show them how the guns work. Even let them fire the guns. Most of the parents just sent the kids with us. Dad settled the curiosity and drilled gun safety into their heads.

I don't think being a yankee has anything to do with it.  I'm a yankee and I've been around guns all of my life and shooting since I was 8.  My mother and father were both around guns all of their lives, too, and they are/were yankees.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

StarFaerie

« Reply #6571 on: January 21, 2013, 11:51:42 PM »
Before the Miss America pageant there was an interesting Pre-show about the preparations and training for the contestants.  One segment concerned training for the Q&A.

That was when the brain hurt came.

'What are your views on euthanasia?'

'That's a vaccine, right?'
 :o

Against death?

Against life.

Good point.  No-one wants to come down with a nasty case of life.

Life has a 100% mortality rate, we're all carriers, and everyone has it.  Obviously, this silent killer needs to be stopped.

Actually, statistically, life is only has a mortality rate of about 93%. About 7% of all those who have been afflicted with life are still surviving.

marcel

« Reply #6572 on: January 22, 2013, 02:33:40 AM »
You only live once

Or alternatively, You Obviously Love Owls.

Owls!  Everyone is fond of owls...
That's what I was going to say.
http://www.cakewrecks.com/home/2013/1/20/sunday-sweets-tasty-tentacles.html
Wherever you go..... There you are.

marcel

« Reply #6573 on: January 22, 2013, 02:38:35 AM »
My youngest sister in law is a high school English teacher, posted a picture on FB that made my brain hurt.  It's a picture of a late assignment turned in by one of her students (name and student ID not in the shot).  Under the question, "Why is this assignment late?" the student's only answer is YOLO.  Nothing else.  Why someone would think this is an acceptable answer is beyond me.  My SIL circled it and wrote "Really?" next to it.  I'm wondering how much credit the student will actually get.
If a student writes YOLO, they should at least follow it up by telling you what special thing they did instead of doing that assignment.
Wherever you go..... There you are.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #6574 on: January 22, 2013, 02:53:17 AM »
Before the Miss America pageant there was an interesting Pre-show about the preparations and training for the contestants.  One segment concerned training for the Q&A.

Against death?

Against life.

Life has a 100% mortality rate, we're all carriers, and everyone has it.  Obviously, this silent killer needs to be stopped.

Actually, statistically, life is only has a mortality rate of about 93%. About 7% of all those who have been afflicted with life are still surviving.

No, even those 7% *will* die, they just haven't yet.  A terminal disease isn't only terminal once it kills you, it's terminal if it's what's going to kill you.  Being born is the first thing that can be conclusively pointed to as being connected to your death.

hjaye

« Reply #6575 on: January 22, 2013, 11:03:02 AM »

Against death?

Against life.

No, even those 7% *will* die, they just haven't yet.  A terminal disease isn't only terminal once it kills you, it's terminal if it's what's going to kill you.  Being born is the first thing that can be conclusively pointed to as being connected to your death.

There will always be some who believe in the accuracy of the Old Testament in which case you have Elijah who did not die, but ascended up to heaven in a whirlwind.  This will skew the statistics of life being terminal 100% of the time to 99.99999999999999999999999% ........................................... ;D

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6576 on: January 22, 2013, 11:05:59 AM »
hjaye wrote:

There will always be some who believe in the accuracy of the Old Testament in which case you have Elijah who did not die, but ascended up to heaven in a whirlwind.  This will skew the statistics of life being terminal 100% of the time to 99.99999999999999999999999%"

I recall there being one other case too....

marcel wrote:

"If a student writes YOLO, they should at least follow it up by telling you what special thing they did instead of doing that assignment."

Be very, very careful what you wish for.

Virg

Kate

« Reply #6577 on: January 22, 2013, 11:31:49 AM »
Recently an elderly friend asked me to pick her up at the airport ..so I arrive close to arrival time and drive the "circle" watching for her to come out of the terminal for about 40 minutes......finally park and go in, no friend. Flight had arrived on time.
 After going home, I contact her son where she had been visiting who then had to call the airlines to track  down her whereabouts.
(According to son, she has a cell phone that she never uses..keeps it in the glove box of her car for "emergencies") ::)
Turns out her connecting flight was delayed due to weather and she missed her connection so was put on a later plane.
Days later in conversation  with her, I gently remind her that if she had her cell phone she could have called to let me know not to go to airport, and her son could have called her directly to find out what happened to her
. After all wasting 40 minutes of my time and gas is important to me..tho I didn't say THAT to her...
. Her reply? " I guess you don't pick people up from airport very often most people call first  to check if flight arrived"....!!!!!!
I said "Mary", your flight DID arrive YOU WEREN'T ON IT! She looked at me blankly...in her mind, if she missed the flight it never arrived at all ..and the cell phone..she didn't take it with her to her son's home, because all the calls would be long distance if she used it......this is a well off woman who still drives, has a health club membership and is of normal intelligence.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 11:39:10 AM by Kate »

DaisyG

« Reply #6578 on: January 22, 2013, 11:49:16 AM »
Her reply? " I guess you don't pick people up from airport very often most people call first  to check if flight arrived"....!!!!!!

I understand Kate's brain-hurt on this one, but this line makes my brain hurt. Maybe because it's about 1˝-2 hrs drive between my house and the nearest commercial airport, 1hr to my mum's house (from her nearest airport) and 4hrs to my SIL's; but surely almost anywhere if you (generic) waited for the flight to land before going to pick up a passenger, the passenger would be waiting around?

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6579 on: January 22, 2013, 11:54:52 AM »
 ::) (Eyeroll at Kate's friend, not DaisyG!)  Since we only live a few miles from the airport, DH calls me as soon as his plane lands.  By the time I get there, he's already collected his luggage and is standing outside waiting.  And if he's delayed at any point, he calls me.

What you can do, if you live farther away, is call and find out if the plane left on time.  Say your friend was flying from Dallas-Fort Worth to JFK.  You call or go online to find out if United Flight 1234 from DFW to JFK left on time.  If it didn't, you know approximately how long it was delayed. 
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 12:02:04 PM by Elfmama »
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6580 on: January 22, 2013, 12:44:07 PM »
We live over an hour from BWI so in the times my bff has flown out to see us, if we waited until her flight was scheduled to arrive to leave, she'd be waiting around for about an hour and a half. 

Though she usually has a layover since there aren't any flights that go straight from Cedar Rapids to BWI, that gives her time to call us to let us know if her connection is on time or late.   Though the first time she flew out to see us, about 2 1/2 years ago, there was a big storm over Chicago so they weren't even able to leave CR for about an hour and a half after the flight was scheduled to leave, so she missed her connection flight but because she had her phone on her she was able to call me and say "Okay my flight number is 12345, and we're scheduled to arrive in BWI around three."  She originally was supposed to arrive at BWI just before noon, so if we'd gone there assuming all was okidokie, we'd be waiting around for a looooooooong time.

Though some airlines allow you to pull up a map online to "follow" the flight, as they'll show you itty bitty airplanes and you can see when their estimated landing time is.  It's fun. :)
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #6581 on: January 22, 2013, 01:02:24 PM »
My youngest sister in law is a high school English teacher, posted a picture on FB that made my brain hurt.  It's a picture of a late assignment turned in by one of her students (name and student ID not in the shot).  Under the question, "Why is this assignment late?" the student's only answer is YOLO.  Nothing else.  Why someone would think this is an acceptable answer is beyond me.  My SIL circled it and wrote "Really?" next to it.  I'm wondering how much credit the student will actually get.
If a student writes YOLO, they should at least follow it up by telling you what special thing they did instead of doing that assignment.

Make it mandatory to turn in an essay on what they did instead of the assignment as extra credit to off set the deduction of points for being late.  If it is more work to turn something in later, it might encourage them to be on time!
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #6582 on: January 22, 2013, 02:24:25 PM »
My DH made my brain hurt. B/G: DFIL was laid off yesterday. We have multiple friends in the same industry, and DFIL requested we forward his resume to them.

An email from DFIL comes to our family account with his resume. I check to see if DH has forwarded the resume. He has not.

Me: Did you want me to forward that to Larry and Louise?
DH: You could.
Me: Does that mean yes?
DH: Makes annoyed sound.
Me: Just tell me, so I don't have to assume.
DH: Starts talking to someone else.

??? I work full time, I go to school full time, even when I am sitting at a computer at work or home I am doing something. I do not live to be the secretary.  ::)

stitchygreyanonymouse

« Reply #6583 on: January 22, 2013, 02:37:43 PM »
Is it possible that your DH doesn’t actually want to forward it, and is trying to ignore it (and taking his annoyance with the issue out on you, instead of saying so)?

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #6584 on: January 22, 2013, 02:49:00 PM »
He has a PA inherited gene, so it is very possible. It is so not worth the aggravation to bring it up again, so I am just going to forward the resume myself.