News: IMPORTANT UPDATE REGARDING SITE IN FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT FOLDER.

• May 21, 2018, 12:13:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt  (Read 2412139 times)

VorFemme

• It's too darned hot! (song from Kiss Me, Kate)
Re: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt
« Reply #6525 on: January 22, 2013, 12:02:24 PM »
My youngest sister in law is a high school English teacher, posted a picture on FB that made my brain hurt.  It's a picture of a late assignment turned in by one of her students (name and student ID not in the shot).  Under the question, "Why is this assignment late?" the student's only answer is YOLO.  Nothing else.  Why someone would think this is an acceptable answer is beyond me.  My SIL circled it and wrote "Really?" next to it.  I'm wondering how much credit the student will actually get.
If a student writes YOLO, they should at least follow it up by telling you what special thing they did instead of doing that assignment.

Make it mandatory to turn in an essay on what they did instead of the assignment as extra credit to off set the deduction of points for being late.  If it is more work to turn something in later, it might encourage them to be on time!
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I explain?

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #6526 on: January 22, 2013, 01:24:25 PM »
My DH made my brain hurt. B/G: DFIL was laid off yesterday. We have multiple friends in the same industry, and DFIL requested we forward his resume to them.

An email from DFIL comes to our family account with his resume. I check to see if DH has forwarded the resume. He has not.

Me: Did you want me to forward that to Larry and Louise?
DH: You could.
Me: Does that mean yes?
DH: Makes annoyed sound.
Me: Just tell me, so I don't have to assume.
DH: Starts talking to someone else.

??? I work full time, I go to school full time, even when I am sitting at a computer at work or home I am doing something. I do not live to be the secretary.  ::)
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

stitchygreyanonymouse

« Reply #6527 on: January 22, 2013, 01:37:43 PM »
Is it possible that your DH doesnít actually want to forward it, and is trying to ignore it (and taking his annoyance with the issue out on you, instead of saying so)?

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #6528 on: January 22, 2013, 01:49:00 PM »
He has a PA inherited gene, so it is very possible. It is so not worth the aggravation to bring it up again, so I am just going to forward the resume myself.
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
« Reply #6529 on: January 22, 2013, 02:08:03 PM »
I wasn't the main victim here, more of a 'drive by hurty'.

One of my coworkers called me today asking for contact information from my Technical Contact at JJJ company.

Coworker said that "Dale" at JJJ had called him - asking for the contact information for someone within his own organization.
Bonus points that Dale should have this information because he is supposed to be able to liase with my Contact on a regular basis.

This goes along with the four days I spent searching our files on behalf of someone else at JJJ, looking for documents.
Eventually, I found that we had never, ever had these documents.
The most brain hurty part was when I emailed my Technical Contact and he confirmed that we did not have the documents.

Again, a fact that the person would have known had he bothered to ask the person he was supposed to be talking to regularly!!!
"I think her scattergun was only loaded with commas and full-stops, although some of them cuddled together for warmth and produced little baby colons and semi-colons." ~ Margo

2littlemonkeys

« Reply #6530 on: January 22, 2013, 02:17:55 PM »
I wasn't the main victim here, more of a 'drive by hurty'.

One of my coworkers called me today asking for contact information from my Technical Contact at JJJ company.

Coworker said that "Dale" at JJJ had called him - asking for the contact information for someone within his own organization.
Bonus points that Dale should have this information because he is supposed to be able to liase with my Contact on a regular basis.

[snip]

I had a similar experience the other day.  One of my duties is to coordinate conference calls with our company and the client, who is in a different state.  I talk with the client's admin and he gives me availabilities for the team we work with.  Since I am the one who sends out the electronic invitation, he usually gives me the meeting room the people on his team should report to and I include it on the invitation.  I guess this makes the people on his side think I'm the one that reserves their room because while I was on vacation last week, a few invitations were sent by someone else on my team and without this information.  Guess who the client team called?

I'll give you a hint.  It wasn't their own admin who would have actually been the one to reserve the room at their office.

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #6531 on: January 22, 2013, 02:37:56 PM »
From a column in today's San Francisco Chronicle. It's a tale that wags the dogma

It's the first item in the column. It's a little convoluted & I had to read it a couple of times to get it. A parent has found a great private school, however, "the website seems to stress the Catholic dogma," which as the columnist notes, shouldn't be too surprising, since it's a Catholic school. The parent wonders if there will be enough agnostics involved with the school to "make us feel comfortable."

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

twiggy

• wonder what this thing is
« Reply #6532 on: January 22, 2013, 02:41:06 PM »
From a column in today's San Francisco Chronicle. It's a tale that wags the dogma

It's the first item in the column. It's a little convoluted & I had to read it a couple of times to get it. A parent has found a great private school, however, "the website seems to stress the Catholic dogma," which as the columnist notes, shouldn't be too surprising, since it's a Catholic school. The parent wonders if there will be enough agnostics involved with the school to "make us feel comfortable."

:o  ???  ???  ::)
In the United States today, there is a pervasive tendency to treat children as adults, and adults as children.  The options of children are thus steadily expanded, while those of adults are progressively constricted.  The result is unruly children and childish adults.  ~Thomas Szasz

PastryGoddess

« Reply #6533 on: January 22, 2013, 02:44:08 PM »

I think my brain just broke..

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #6534 on: January 22, 2013, 02:54:28 PM »

I'm an agnostic myself, and I'll be the first to say: what a twit.  Seriously, you don't send your child to Our Lady Of Everlasting Catholicism and expect a secular education!

Tierrainney

• Where the swans winter
« Reply #6535 on: January 22, 2013, 03:02:03 PM »

I think my brain just broke..

This doesn't surprise me. The only private high school in the town I grew up in was a Catholic high school. Every year there were parents upset and writting to the local newspaper about how the Private Catholic school required classes in religion to graduate.

I went to one of the three public high schools...no religion classes required.
Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.

Hmmmmm

« Reply #6536 on: January 22, 2013, 03:07:41 PM »

I'm an agnostic myself, and I'll be the first to say: what a twit.  Seriously, you don't send your child to Our Lady Of Everlasting Catholicism and expect a secular education!
Well, she did say she liked their use of uniforms, so maybe she found their plaid most appealing. :D

Iris

« Reply #6537 on: January 22, 2013, 03:34:49 PM »
My youngest sister in law is a high school English teacher, posted a picture on FB that made my brain hurt.  It's a picture of a late assignment turned in by one of her students (name and student ID not in the shot).  Under the question, "Why is this assignment late?" the student's only answer is YOLO.  Nothing else.  Why someone would think this is an acceptable answer is beyond me.  My SIL circled it and wrote "Really?" next to it.  I'm wondering how much credit the student will actually get.
If a student writes YOLO, they should at least follow it up by telling you what special thing they did instead of doing that assignment.

I always ask. It's always computer games. Sigh.
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

Yvaine

« Reply #6538 on: January 22, 2013, 03:47:02 PM »

I always ask. It's always computer games. Sigh.

Facepalm! I would at least expect skydiving, an episode of debauchery worthy of the ancient Romans, or being whisked away in the TARDIS!

Garden Goblin

« Reply #6539 on: January 22, 2013, 03:50:10 PM »
I used the TARDIS excuse once.  My teacher accepted the excuse, but marked me off a percentage that was coincidentally the same as one would get on a late paper for not bringing him back photographs of the alien race that built the pyramids.

Sorry, this topic is locked. Only admins and moderators can reply.