Author Topic: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt  (Read 1051628 times)

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
Re: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt
« Reply #6585 on: January 22, 2013, 03:08:03 PM »
I wasn't the main victim here, more of a 'drive by hurty'.

One of my coworkers called me today asking for contact information from my Technical Contact at JJJ company.

Coworker said that "Dale" at JJJ had called him - asking for the contact information for someone within his own organization.
Bonus points that Dale should have this information because he is supposed to be able to liase with my Contact on a regular basis.

This goes along with the four days I spent searching our files on behalf of someone else at JJJ, looking for documents.
Eventually, I found that we had never, ever had these documents.
The most brain hurty part was when I emailed my Technical Contact and he confirmed that we did not have the documents.

Again, a fact that the person would have known had he bothered to ask the person he was supposed to be talking to regularly!!!

2littlemonkeys

« Reply #6586 on: January 22, 2013, 03:17:55 PM »
I wasn't the main victim here, more of a 'drive by hurty'.

One of my coworkers called me today asking for contact information from my Technical Contact at JJJ company.

Coworker said that "Dale" at JJJ had called him - asking for the contact information for someone within his own organization.
Bonus points that Dale should have this information because he is supposed to be able to liase with my Contact on a regular basis.

[snip]

I had a similar experience the other day.  One of my duties is to coordinate conference calls with our company and the client, who is in a different state.  I talk with the client's admin and he gives me availabilities for the team we work with.  Since I am the one who sends out the electronic invitation, he usually gives me the meeting room the people on his team should report to and I include it on the invitation.  I guess this makes the people on his side think I'm the one that reserves their room because while I was on vacation last week, a few invitations were sent by someone else on my team and without this information.  Guess who the client team called?

I'll give you a hint.  It wasn't their own admin who would have actually been the one to reserve the room at their office.

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #6587 on: January 22, 2013, 03:37:56 PM »
From a column in today's San Francisco Chronicle. It's a tale that wags the dogma

It's the first item in the column. It's a little convoluted & I had to read it a couple of times to get it. A parent has found a great private school, however, "the website seems to stress the Catholic dogma," which as the columnist notes, shouldn't be too surprising, since it's a Catholic school. The parent wonders if there will be enough agnostics involved with the school to "make us feel comfortable."

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

twiggy

• wonder what this thing is
« Reply #6588 on: January 22, 2013, 03:41:06 PM »
From a column in today's San Francisco Chronicle. It's a tale that wags the dogma

It's the first item in the column. It's a little convoluted & I had to read it a couple of times to get it. A parent has found a great private school, however, "the website seems to stress the Catholic dogma," which as the columnist notes, shouldn't be too surprising, since it's a Catholic school. The parent wonders if there will be enough agnostics involved with the school to "make us feel comfortable."

:o  ???  ???  ::)
In the United States today, there is a pervasive tendency to treat children as adults, and adults as children.  The options of children are thus steadily expanded, while those of adults are progressively constricted.  The result is unruly children and childish adults.  ~Thomas Szasz

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #6589 on: January 22, 2013, 03:44:08 PM »

I think my brain just broke..

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #6590 on: January 22, 2013, 03:54:28 PM »

I'm an agnostic myself, and I'll be the first to say: what a twit.  Seriously, you don't send your child to Our Lady Of Everlasting Catholicism and expect a secular education!

Tierrainney

• Where the swans winter
« Reply #6591 on: January 22, 2013, 04:02:03 PM »

I think my brain just broke..

This doesn't surprise me. The only private high school in the town I grew up in was a Catholic high school. Every year there were parents upset and writting to the local newspaper about how the Private Catholic school required classes in religion to graduate.

I went to one of the three public high schools...no religion classes required.
Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6592 on: January 22, 2013, 04:07:41 PM »

I'm an agnostic myself, and I'll be the first to say: what a twit.  Seriously, you don't send your child to Our Lady Of Everlasting Catholicism and expect a secular education!
Well, she did say she liked their use of uniforms, so maybe she found their plaid most appealing. :D

Shalamar

« Reply #6593 on: January 22, 2013, 04:11:54 PM »
Oh boy, my mother tried to enroll me in an all-girls' Catholic school when I was a kid.  The head of the school interviewed us and asked which church we attended.  Mum said blithely "Oh, we don't go to church.  We're not religious."  The head paused and said diplomatically "That might be a problem ..."   The thing that killed me was that Mum was EXTREMELY indignant at this response!

ladyknight's resume story reminded me of when a friend of a friend was looking for work.  She asked if I'd mind taking a peek at her resume to see if I could suggest any improvements.  Well ... to be blunt, her resume was terrible.  It was far too long (five pages), had a lot of unnecessary information (such as that she was a non-smoker), typos, bad grammar, you name it.    Trying to be as tactful as possible (because I didn't want to come right out and say "Yo,  your resume sucks"), I offered some constructive criticism.  She listened to what I had to say and that said "Ehhh, I think I'll just leave it as is."

'Kay ...

Iris

« Reply #6594 on: January 22, 2013, 04:34:49 PM »
My youngest sister in law is a high school English teacher, posted a picture on FB that made my brain hurt.  It's a picture of a late assignment turned in by one of her students (name and student ID not in the shot).  Under the question, "Why is this assignment late?" the student's only answer is YOLO.  Nothing else.  Why someone would think this is an acceptable answer is beyond me.  My SIL circled it and wrote "Really?" next to it.  I'm wondering how much credit the student will actually get.
If a student writes YOLO, they should at least follow it up by telling you what special thing they did instead of doing that assignment.

I always ask. It's always computer games. Sigh.
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6595 on: January 22, 2013, 04:47:02 PM »
My youngest sister in law is a high school English teacher, posted a picture on FB that made my brain hurt.  It's a picture of a late assignment turned in by one of her students (name and student ID not in the shot).  Under the question, "Why is this assignment late?" the student's only answer is YOLO.  Nothing else.  Why someone would think this is an acceptable answer is beyond me.  My SIL circled it and wrote "Really?" next to it.  I'm wondering how much credit the student will actually get.
If a student writes YOLO, they should at least follow it up by telling you what special thing they did instead of doing that assignment.

Facepalm! I would at least expect skydiving, an episode of debauchery worthy of the ancient Romans, or being whisked away in the TARDIS!

Garden Goblin

« Reply #6596 on: January 22, 2013, 04:50:10 PM »
I used the TARDIS excuse once.  My teacher accepted the excuse, but marked me off a percentage that was coincidentally the same as one would get on a late paper for not bringing him back photographs of the alien race that built the pyramids.

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6597 on: January 22, 2013, 04:52:12 PM »
I used the TARDIS excuse once.  My teacher accepted the excuse, but marked me off a percentage that was coincidentally the same as one would get on a late paper for not bringing him back photographs of the alien race that built the pyramids.

;D ;D ;D

snowflake

« Reply #6598 on: January 22, 2013, 04:54:38 PM »

It sort of reminds me of a co-worker who (being a born but not practicing) wanted to fulfill her childhood dream and get married in her favorite cathedral.  After she was engaged, she was very appalled to find out that they wouldn't be allowed to have a non-Catholic ceremony there.  Because of the popularity, it was pretty much booked solid for weddings and the clergy in charge kept the waiting list shorter by restricting those who could use the venue.

She cried to the rest of us that "they have no right to force their religion on us."

Well, no one's forcing you to use their venue!

The sad thing was that she was so set on it, that she lied to the clergy and put up with a ceremony that she hated just to use the venue.  She complained about it the whole time.  Especially that they didn't let her have her "first-choice" time slot because it conflicted with a regular mass.  She seemed to think "The customer is always right" should apply.

Iris

« Reply #6599 on: January 22, 2013, 05:02:00 PM »

Facepalm! I would at least expect skydiving, an episode of debauchery worthy of the ancient Romans, or being whisked away in the TARDIS!

See, those would be worth it. Except the TARDIS. The TARDIS could *totally* get you back in time to do your assignment, so that's no excuse...
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.