Author Topic: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt  (Read 1074289 times)

greencat

Re: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt
« Reply #6600 on: January 22, 2013, 05:17:11 PM »
My youngest sister in law is a high school English teacher, posted a picture on FB that made my brain hurt.  It's a picture of a late assignment turned in by one of her students (name and student ID not in the shot).  Under the question, "Why is this assignment late?" the student's only answer is YOLO.  Nothing else.  Why someone would think this is an acceptable answer is beyond me.  My SIL circled it and wrote "Really?" next to it.  I'm wondering how much credit the student will actually get.
If a student writes YOLO, they should at least follow it up by telling you what special thing they did instead of doing that assignment.

I always ask. It's always computer games. Sigh.

Facepalm! I would at least expect skydiving, an episode of debauchery worthy of the ancient Romans, or being whisked away in the TARDIS!

See, those would be worth it. Except the TARDIS. The TARDIS could *totally* get you back in time to do your assignment, so that's no excuse...

Depends on which version of the Doctor is driving it - both 9 and 11 are a bit apt to miss their time-targets...

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #6601 on: January 22, 2013, 05:24:18 PM »
My youngest sister in law is a high school English teacher, posted a picture on FB that made my brain hurt.  It's a picture of a late assignment turned in by one of her students (name and student ID not in the shot).  Under the question, "Why is this assignment late?" the student's only answer is YOLO.  Nothing else.  Why someone would think this is an acceptable answer is beyond me.  My SIL circled it and wrote "Really?" next to it.  I'm wondering how much credit the student will actually get.
If a student writes YOLO, they should at least follow it up by telling you what special thing they did instead of doing that assignment.

I always ask. It's always computer games. Sigh.

When I was in school, late assignments were rarely accepted, and when they were, it was only with a very good (usually parent-verified) excuse. If randomly-late assignments were accepted at all, they were docked points per day late.

I like the idea of making them write a page (specify font, line spacing, and type size) on why their paper was late as a condition of being allowed to turn in a late assignment at all, even for a reduced grade. Maybe require a parent to sign off on that page as well, just to make sure they're in the loop. Too busy playing WoW to do your homework? Now you have to do MORE if you want ANY credit! And get your Mom/Dad to OK it!  >:D

It's evil, but potentially effective. I would hope. Either that or a bunch of kids fail. (Gamer kids worldwide just started planning parties to celebrate the fact that I'm not a teacher.)
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

nuit93

« Reply #6602 on: January 22, 2013, 05:25:56 PM »
From a column in today's San Francisco Chronicle. It's a tale that wags the dogma

It's the first item in the column. It's a little convoluted & I had to read it a couple of times to get it. A parent has found a great private school, however, "the website seems to stress the Catholic dogma," which as the columnist notes, shouldn't be too surprising, since it's a Catholic school. The parent wonders if there will be enough agnostics involved with the school to "make us feel comfortable."

I'm an agnostic myself, and I'll be the first to say: what a twit.  Seriously, you don't send your child to Our Lady Of Everlasting Catholicism and expect a secular education!

It sort of reminds me of a co-worker who (being a born but not practicing) wanted to fulfill her childhood dream and get married in her favorite cathedral.  After she was engaged, she was very appalled to find out that they wouldn't be allowed to have a non-Catholic ceremony there.  Because of the popularity, it was pretty much booked solid for weddings and the clergy in charge kept the waiting list shorter by restricting those who could use the venue.

She cried to the rest of us that "they have no right to force their religion on us."

Well, no one's forcing you to use their venue!

The sad thing was that she was so set on it, that she lied to the clergy and put up with a ceremony that she hated just to use the venue.  She complained about it the whole time.  Especially that they didn't let her have her "first-choice" time slot because it conflicted with a regular mass.  She seemed to think "The customer is always right" should apply.

Clearly she wasn't a very good customer  ;)

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #6603 on: January 22, 2013, 05:36:50 PM »
From a column in today's San Francisco Chronicle. It's a tale that wags the dogma

It's the first item in the column. It's a little convoluted & I had to read it a couple of times to get it. A parent has found a great private school, however, "the website seems to stress the Catholic dogma," which as the columnist notes, shouldn't be too surprising, since it's a Catholic school. The parent wonders if there will be enough agnostics involved with the school to "make us feel comfortable."

I'm an agnostic myself, and I'll be the first to say: what a twit.  Seriously, you don't send your child to Our Lady Of Everlasting Catholicism and expect a secular education!

As an atheist, daughter of an agnostic and an atheist, I understand perfectly. Here, many of the best schools are either religious or focused on test taking (which would be a disaster for me). However, not all religious schools view religion the same way. One school I went (very traditional, founded by a quite famous monk) was very liberal, stressing personal responsibility and showing religion as something one actively chose to participate in. There was quite a large portion of the school that was either agnostic, atheist or of a completely different religion. There was no problem with us sitting out during school Masses, even though there was a crucifix in every classroom. Another school I went to, however, was much more conservative. I was one of the few students who wasn't actively Catholic and that was a problem (despite what the director - a priest - told us before I enrolled). I was not allowed to sit out Masses, I was reprimanded for not praying before class and presenting views opposing the dogma was not well received. Both are Catholic schools but offered completely different experiences. I don't think a parent is at all amiss for inquiring into a school's view.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #6604 on: January 22, 2013, 06:08:11 PM »

As an atheist, daughter of an agnostic and an atheist, I understand perfectly. Here, many of the best schools are either religious or focused on test taking (which would be a disaster for me). However, not all religious schools view religion the same way. One school I went (very traditional, founded by a quite famous monk) was very liberal, stressing personal responsibility and showing religion as something one actively chose to participate in. There was quite a large portion of the school that was either agnostic, atheist or of a completely different religion. There was no problem with us sitting out during school Masses, even though there was a crucifix in every classroom. Another school I went to, however, was much more conservative. I was one of the few students who wasn't actively Catholic and that was a problem (despite what the director - a priest - told us before I enrolled). I was not allowed to sit out Masses, I was reprimanded for not praying before class and presenting views opposing the dogma was not well received. Both are Catholic schools but offered completely different experiences. I don't think a parent is at all amiss for inquiring into a school's view.

Personally, I just think it would be wiser to take for granted that it's going to be religiously oriented.  But then, I live in an area with a lot of Catholic schools and a large public school system.

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #6605 on: January 22, 2013, 06:45:32 PM »
I don't think a parent is at all amiss for inquiring into a school's view.
True. However, this parent had already done so, before asking if there would be a lot of agnostics there.

I looked at the website of the school in question, which the parent had checked. Prominently displayed at the top of the home page are statements that indicate that the school is dedicated to providing a Catholic education and that they have a strong religious program. The Catholic focus of the school is mentioned everywhere.

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #6606 on: January 22, 2013, 07:02:13 PM »
This was a brain hurt that happened years ago but I was reminded of it today.

Every once in a while, our store changes the set-up of a department, usually for a reason. Two of the managers were setting up barbecues one year for the spring season and were having quite a bit of trouble.

I looked at the sheet they were having problems with and realised that the manufacturer had put letter codes on all their items for easier set-up and ordering. Big huge letters on the front of the box that you could not miss, and all the shelves went in alphabetical order. So item A went on the first shelf, item B was next to it, etc.

I think I came by when the managers were arguing about which item came after F. Total head-desk moment... ???
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #6607 on: January 22, 2013, 07:05:23 PM »

My kids attended a Lutheran school. Not a lot of Lutherans in Queens anymore; me and about 6,000 other people, total (made that up). So there were lots of people from other Christian sects, and the school said, officially, "people of all faiths welcome."

At the Christmas program I overheard a mother whose skin tone and hair made me think she might be Middle Eastern say to another similarly-complexioned mother, "I thought they were going to include Abraham!" I thought, "Lady, we pay attention to Abraham, but not at Christmas, when his BOSS was being born!"

There was an overtone of "they told me" to her comment, so I actually was concerned that they would dumb-down the Christian aspects that I valued. Especially since they were trying to raise their enrollment. So I mentioned it to the principle and our pastor (a board member).

gentlebutterfly

« Reply #6608 on: January 22, 2013, 07:10:06 PM »
I just had a brain-hurty moment I had to share. DH and I are looking to get a loan, so we called several places asking about interest rates, etc. One place was slightly higher than the others, so we told them that the rate was a little high, and thanked them for their time. They had all of our information. This was Thursday.

Today, I get a call from them, and a guy asked me why they didn't get our business, and I again explained about the interest rate. Remember, they called me. He then transferred me to someone who could take a second look, I figured it couldn't hurt. The next person gets on the line and says "Oh, you shouldn't have been transferred to me, I'm not qualified to do loans in that state." She offered to have someone call me in my state, but since I really didn't want to wait for another call, I said "No, thank you". I was kind of bemused that they called me and couldn't figure out what they were doing, but thought nothing more of it.

Just now, the same woman calls me again, and asks if anyone followed up with me on the loan information. I said that they hadn't, because I thought we were done. And she says (again) how someone can call me with more information. I just told her we decided to go with someone else.

This whole thing wouldn't be so brain-hurty if they hadn't called me! They already had all of my info and they transfer me to someone not qualified in my state, who apparently doesn't have the ability to just transfer me to someone who is.

wonderfullyanonymous

« Reply #6609 on: January 22, 2013, 11:03:29 PM »
In our store, only registers 19 and 20 can sell tobacco products, today I had a customer come and ask me where he could buy cigarettes. I told him, registers 19 or 20.

He seemed satisfied with the answer he got, and went on his merry way. A little while later, same customer came back and asked if there was anywhere else he could buy his cigarettes in the store. Again I told him, only registers 19 and 20 are able to sell. Off he goes again.

He comes back one last time, can you just walk them to another register? Again, I answer him, only registers 19 and 20.

Why do some people think that if they ask a question several different ways, they will get the answer they want?

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6610 on: January 23, 2013, 12:24:46 AM »
In our store, only registers 19 and 20 can sell tobacco products, today I had a customer come and ask me where he could buy cigarettes. I told him, registers 19 or 20.

He seemed satisfied with the answer he got, and went on his merry way. A little while later, same customer came back and asked if there was anywhere else he could buy his cigarettes in the store. Again I told him, only registers 19 and 20 are able to sell. Off he goes again.

He comes back one last time, can you just walk them to another register? Again, I answer him, only registers 19 and 20.

Why do some people think that if they ask a question several different ways, they will get the answer they want?
Perhaps there were no cashiers at either of those?
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

marcel

« Reply #6611 on: January 23, 2013, 07:41:14 AM »

There could be a quite few agnostic Catholics involved with the school off course, though they would support the Catholic program as much as a gnostic Catholic. :D

(I think this person forgot that agnosticism says nothing about a persons theism.)
Wherever you go..... There you are.

Kate

« Reply #6612 on: January 23, 2013, 08:13:04 AM »
Her reply? " I guess you don't pick people up from airport very often most people call first  to check if flight arrived"....!!!!!!

I understand Kate's brain-hurt on this one, but this line makes my brain hurt. Maybe because it's about 1-2 hrs drive between my house and the nearest commercial airport, 1hr to my mum's house (from her nearest airport) and 4hrs to my SIL's; but surely almost anywhere if you (generic) waited for the flight to land before going to pick up a passenger, the passenger would be waiting around?

Yep...I am only ten minutes from the airport and its a small airport too so it only takes passengers about 15 or 20 minutes max to get their luggage and get out to the pick up area. It never would occur to me to call the airport first unless there was obviously bad weather  or something. And in this case it would have done no good as her flight arrived right on time ....without her.

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6613 on: January 23, 2013, 08:21:24 AM »
Her reply? " I guess you don't pick people up from airport very often most people call first  to check if flight arrived"....!!!!!!

I understand Kate's brain-hurt on this one, but this line makes my brain hurt. Maybe because it's about 1-2 hrs drive between my house and the nearest commercial airport, 1hr to my mum's house (from her nearest airport) and 4hrs to my SIL's; but surely almost anywhere if you (generic) waited for the flight to land before going to pick up a passenger, the passenger would be waiting around?

Yep...I am only ten minutes from the airport and its a small airport too so it only takes passengers about 15 or 20 minutes max to get their luggage and get out to the pick up area. It never would occur to me to call the airport first unless there was obviously bad weather  or something. And in this case it would have done no good as her flight arrived right on time ....without her.

Is there any chance she meant call her, rather than the airport?

greencat

« Reply #6614 on: January 23, 2013, 09:16:18 AM »

Is there any chance she meant call her, rather than the airport?

As per the OP, the errant passenger didn't carry her cellphone ever.