Author Topic: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt  (Read 1091225 times)

Elisabunny

Re: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt
« Reply #6645 on: January 24, 2013, 01:22:34 PM »
hjaye wrote:

There will always be some who believe in the accuracy of the Old Testament in which case you have Elijah who did not die, but ascended up to heaven in a whirlwind.  This will skew the statistics of life being terminal 100% of the time to 99.99999999999999999999999%"

I recall there being one other case too....

That was Enoch. And, according to the Roman Catholic Church, the Virgin Mary.
Then there's the YOLT group:Jesus, Lazarus, and assorted other unnamed beneficiaries.
That's why Israel will not allow the burial of enemy combatants within their borders- they have the biggest resurrection rate in the world.  ::)

There's also John the Revelator, who simply didn't die, and if you're Mormon, his buddies the Three Nephites. :)
You must remember this: a ghoti is still a fish...

pierrotlunaire0

• I'm the cat's aunt!
« Reply #6646 on: January 24, 2013, 01:25:46 PM »
I once worked with someone who put her children in the local Catholic school because she felt the public school was so lax.  And then she complained because the nuns were so strict.

Isn't the opposite of lax strict?  And we were not talking corporal punishment, just getting grades marked down for making mistakes.  ("But he was trying!")
I have enough lithium in my medicine cabinet to power three cars across a sizeable desert.  Which makes me officially...Three Cars Crazy

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #6647 on: January 24, 2013, 01:31:35 PM »
Not really. A lot of people see the fact that the universe exists and that rational, faithful people exist as proof of a higher power.

It's still impossible to know.  Faith and knowledge are opposite sides of the coin... it's impossible to have faith in something known... I don't have faith that the sun will rise tomorrow, I know it will.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6648 on: January 24, 2013, 01:58:09 PM »
This past Sunday our church service was dedicated to MLK Jr.  Our priest mentioned that she was a sr. in high school in 1960 when there was the stink over desegregating schools and she told of a teacher who went for a walk and decided she wanted to go teach in one of these desegregated schools to help things get smoothed over.  Her family was aghast though when she said something about following Moses example in standing up for the rights of the oppressed who deserved equal rights.

Well her father said "We don't follow Moses, we follow Jesus Christ!!"  She stopped there, our priest, and kind of smirked at the disconnect there.  Yeah, we follow this other guy who stood up and preached kindness towards others, loving thy neighbor, not that other guy...who also tried to fight against the mistreatment of people of another race. 
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Ceallach

• This Is It
« Reply #6649 on: January 24, 2013, 03:00:06 PM »
Not really. A lot of people see the fact that the universe exists and that rational, faithful people exist as proof of a higher power.

It's still impossible to know.  Faith and knowledge are opposite sides of the coin... it's impossible to have faith in something known... I don't have faith that the sun will rise tomorrow, I know it will.

Right but that doesn't change the fact that there are people who insist they *do* know for sure. Therefore the beliefs they are claiming to have are very different to the ones discussed here.  They would never define themselves as agnostic.  Personally I think that faith by its very definition means not knowing for sure, because if you knew for sure you wouldn't need faith... My devout BIL fervently disagrees with me on that point however.

There's a reason for so many diverse religious views - things that seem common sense to one person are balony to another.
"Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something"

NutMeg

« Reply #6650 on: January 24, 2013, 03:38:24 PM »
Careful guys, I think we're edging into territory that could get the thread locked, fascinating as the discussion is.
"You're hostages! This is a life-and-death situation here. Start acting like it! We're your captors. We're armed. There's rules. There's a whole school of etiquette to this!" - Dr. Daniel Jackson                

mmswm

« Reply #6651 on: January 24, 2013, 03:51:38 PM »
I just made my mother's brain hurt.  She's gabbing away on the phone, and I quietly reminded her she promised to take me to Target to get a new swim suit.  She looked at me and said, "but I can't drive", and looked very confused as to why she was "taking me" to the store.  Then I reminded her that she was the one with the checking account that actually had money in it.  She'd promised to buy me a new suit so I didn't have to swim in shorts and a sports bra anymore, as I don't have a swim suit that actually fits.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #6652 on: January 24, 2013, 04:37:23 PM »
I just made my mother's brain hurt.  She's gabbing away on the phone, and I quietly reminded her she promised to take me to Target to get a new swim suit.  She looked at me and said, "but I can't drive", and looked very confused as to why she was "taking me" to the store.  Then I reminded her that she was the one with the checking account that actually had money in it.  She'd promised to buy me a new suit so I didn't have to swim in shorts and a sports bra anymore, as I don't have a swim suit that actually fits.

SwimsuitsForAll.com - if she wants to let you order a swimsuit that fits - frequent sales and a wide selection of sizes (8 to 26) - they ship out of the Dallas-Fort Worth area - so centrally located near a major airline hub.....I've bought several suits (and am on my second bottle of chlorine remover to extend the life of suits worn in gymnasium pools with their high chlorine levels - due to the number of people in the pool). 

If she doesn't want to GO shopping - just have her pay for your order and let the post man deliver!
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #6653 on: January 24, 2013, 04:42:02 PM »
Careful guys, I think we're edging into territory that could get the thread locked, fascinating as the discussion is.

My apologies... I figured a discussion on theology was different than religion... and the topic of agnosticism isn't as much religious as it is theological.  But, consider the conversation dropped.

mmswm

« Reply #6654 on: January 24, 2013, 06:02:10 PM »

SwimsuitsForAll.com - if she wants to let you order a swimsuit that fits - frequent sales and a wide selection of sizes (8 to 26) - they ship out of the Dallas-Fort Worth area - so centrally located near a major airline hub.....I've bought several suits (and am on my second bottle of chlorine remover to extend the life of suits worn in gymnasium pools with their high chlorine levels - due to the number of people in the pool). 

If she doesn't want to GO shopping - just have her pay for your order and let the post man deliver!

Oh!  Thanks.  I will look. :)
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

amandaelizabeth

• Amanda's home based ece
« Reply #6655 on: January 24, 2013, 06:39:27 PM »
....only I was the one doing the brain hurting.  I was in the optician's choosing a new pair of glasses for computer use.  I happened to mention that although I didn't know why this was, but every time when I looked into the mirror with my computer glasses on, I looked better than when I was wearing my all purpose ones. She gave a sigh and said, "Have you considered that if you are wearing your computer glasses you will be slightly out of focus and blurry round the edges?  That is why you look better!" 

posted before spell checked - must not be wearing my computer glasses
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 06:41:01 PM by amandaelizabeth »

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6656 on: January 24, 2013, 10:47:42 PM »
....only I was the one doing the brain hurting.  I was in the optician's choosing a new pair of glasses for computer use.  I happened to mention that although I didn't know why this was, but every time when I looked into the mirror with my computer glasses on, I looked better than when I was wearing my all purpose ones. She gave a sigh and said, "Have you considered that if you are wearing your computer glasses you will be slightly out of focus and blurry round the edges?  That is why you look better!" 

Ouch!   ;D

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #6657 on: January 24, 2013, 11:01:36 PM »
how far away is the mirror?

Maybe you look better because you ARE in focus!

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6658 on: January 25, 2013, 12:15:43 AM »
Oh so THAT'S why it's called head cheese! I always wondered.

I was actually going to ask that question in the "Stupid Question" thread, but thought it was too stupid  ::).

You don't want to know how long I thought buffalo wings came from a buffalo (I thought it was a weird bone found only in buffaloes).  I'm going to assume they're from Buffalo, NY?

CakeEater

« Reply #6659 on: January 25, 2013, 12:32:06 AM »
A FB friend of mine has just posted a status announcing that he'll be voting for Hillary Clinton in a 2016 election. We both live in Australia.