Author Topic: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt  (Read 1018738 times)

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
Re: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt
« Reply #6660 on: January 25, 2013, 12:55:25 AM »
Oh so THAT'S why it's called head cheese! I always wondered.

I was actually going to ask that question in the "Stupid Question" thread, but thought it was too stupid  ::).

You don't want to know how long I thought buffalo wings came from a buffalo (I thought it was a weird bone found only in buffaloes).  I'm going to assume they're from Buffalo, NY?

well, they *originally* came from buffalo--there are vestigial wings in the hump, and the brave with the most kills or the bravest feat during the buffalo hunt was awarded them. But during the World's Fair in (oddly enough) Buffalo, NY, the buffalo had faded so much in population that it wasn't possible to get the wings anymore. So they substituted chicken, and added a lot of extra spice so people wouldn't notice that the "buffalo" wings tasted like, well, chicken.

At least, that's what my husband says. He works Teddy Roosevelt in there somewhere, too--I think "he brought them back to NYState after his trip out west following the death of his first wife" or something, according to my husband's hoax.

EDITED TO ADD "my husband's hoax."
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 12:27:57 AM by TootsNYC »

squeakers

« Reply #6661 on: January 25, 2013, 01:08:23 AM »

I was actually going to ask that question in the "Stupid Question" thread, but thought it was too stupid  ::).

You don't want to know how long I thought buffalo wings came from a buffalo (I thought it was a weird bone found only in buffaloes).  I'm going to assume they're from Buffalo, NY?

well, they *originally* came from buffalo--there are vestigial wings in the hump, and the brave with the most kills or the bravest feat during the buffalo hunt was awarded them. But during the World's Fair in (oddly enough) Buffalo, NY, the buffalo had faded so much in population that it wasn't possible to get the wings anymore. So they substituted chicken, and added a lot of extra spice so people wouldn't notice that the "buffalo" wings tasted like, well, chicken.

At least, that's what my husband says. He works Teddy Roosevelt in there somewhere, too--I think he brought them back to NYState after his trip out west following the death of his first wife.

You should throw a j/k on that tall tale. Or tail. Because answering a real question with a joke isn't very nice.  At least I hope you are joking and don't really believe that.
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin

Moray

• My hovercraft is full of eels!
« Reply #6662 on: January 25, 2013, 01:25:12 AM »

At least, that's what my husband says. He works Teddy Roosevelt in there somewhere, too--I think he brought them back to NYState after his trip out west following the death of his first wife.

You should throw a j/k on that tall tale. Or tail. Because answering a real question with a joke isn't very nice.  At least I hope you are joking and don't really believe that.

But it's glaringly obvious that it's a joke.  ??? Especially with Toots' line about her husband working Roosevelt in there.

I don't think such a comment is out of line in the slightest, especially in a "fun" thread like this. If anything, I'd find the addition of "j/k" kind of insulting!
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 01:27:24 AM by Moray »
Utah

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #6663 on: January 25, 2013, 05:14:18 AM »

But it's glaringly obvious that it's a joke.  ??? Especially with Toots' line about her husband working Roosevelt in there.

I don't think such a comment is out of line in the slightest, especially in a "fun" thread like this. If anything, I'd find the addition of "j/k" kind of insulting!

I have to agree, I immediately recognized it for what it was.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6664 on: January 25, 2013, 06:13:25 AM »
I was going along almost believing it until the comment about Toot's husband working Teddy Roosevelt in (come on, haven't had my coffee yet!) then that's when it clicked and I chuckled.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6665 on: January 25, 2013, 07:30:39 AM »
Buffalo Wings are called that because the recipe supposedly originated in Buffalo NY.

squeakers

« Reply #6666 on: January 25, 2013, 07:38:18 AM »
So if I came in and said Head Cheese is made from human Heads. It's something the Mohawks used to make and sell to the settlers. But nowadays it's made from pig meat. That would be ok because this is a humorous thread? 

Not everyone who read the above would take the time to find out the truth.  Throwing in a name like "Well, and I heard that John Smith really liked the taste." wouldn't show it was a joke.

Sorry if I sound cranky but the sheer amount of misinformation and urban legends that get passed around as the truth gets irritating after a while.
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin

TurtleDove

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6667 on: January 25, 2013, 07:49:44 AM »
So if I came in and said Head Cheese is made from human Heads. It's something the Mohawks used to make and sell to the settlers. But nowadays it's made from pig meat. That would be ok because this is a humorous thread? 

Not everyone who read the above would take the time to find out the truth.  Throwing in a name like "Well, and I heard that John Smith really liked the taste." wouldn't show it was a joke.

Sorry if I sound cranky but the sheer amount of misinformation and urban legends that get passed around as the truth gets irritating after a while.

I would assume people can grasp humor and sarcasm, and if they cannot, that they do not believe absolutely everything they read on the web (or elsewhere). I reads tons of misinformation or spin in my job as a lawyer - of course I don't take everything as absolute truth and this is in legal documents!  I think each person should take ownership of what they believe and not expect other people to not use humor or sarcasm.

squeakers

« Reply #6668 on: January 25, 2013, 08:17:50 AM »

I would assume people can grasp humor and sarcasm, and if they cannot, that they do not believe absolutely everything they read on the web (or elsewhere). I reads tons of misinformation or spin in my job as a lawyer - of course I don't take everything as absolute truth and this is in legal documents!  I think each person should take ownership of what they believe and not expect other people to not use humor or sarcasm.

I saw nothing humorous nor sarcastic in what was written. It just makes my head hurt.

pierrotlunaire0

• I'm the cat's aunt!
« Reply #6669 on: January 25, 2013, 08:59:48 AM »
Buffalo Wings are called that because the recipe supposedly originated in Buffalo NY.
Specifically, the Anchor Bar in Buffalo.
I have enough lithium in my medicine cabinet to power three cars across a sizeable desert.  Which makes me officially...Three Cars Crazy

Bexx27

• Striving to meet the minimum requirements of social acceptability
« Reply #6670 on: January 25, 2013, 09:10:10 AM »

I saw nothing humorous nor sarcastic in what was written. It just makes my head hurt.

Would anyone of normal intelligence really believe that buffalo have vestigial wings? It's obviously a joke. I thought it was funny. Just because dry/deadpan humor is not to your taste doesn't mean it's not a good joke.
How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in life you will have been all of these. -George Washington Carver

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #6671 on: January 25, 2013, 09:17:12 AM »

Buffalonians like their spicy stuff. They make a horseradish sauce that will lift your scalp five inches off your skull.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Amava

« Reply #6672 on: January 25, 2013, 09:25:46 AM »

Buffalonians like their spicy stuff. They make a horseradish sauce that will lift your scalp five inches off your skull.

Now that you mention it, my friends' grandfather's cousin twice removed told me that ancient tribes used horseradish for this very purpose: scalping their enemies...

*runs out of the thread giggling madly*

Sorry! couldn't resist. J/K, J/K,J/K ! My friends' grandfather doesn't even have a cousin! But the rest is totally true!
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 09:30:31 AM by Amava »

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #6673 on: January 25, 2013, 09:40:10 AM »
[
Now that you mention it, my friends' grandfather's cousin twice removed told me that ancient tribes used horseradish for this very purpose: scalping their enemies...

Sorry! couldn't resist. J/K, J/K,J/K ! My friends' grandfather doesn't even have a cousin! But the rest is totally true!

While they were out hunting buffalo, naturally!
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Amava

« Reply #6674 on: January 25, 2013, 09:48:11 AM »
[

While they were out hunting buffalo, naturally!
On horseback. Hence "Horse-"radish.
We should make a faux-etymology thread coming up with the craziest tall tales about how things got their name.