Author Topic: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt  (Read 1042551 times)

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
Re: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt
« Reply #6705 on: January 25, 2013, 08:56:40 PM »
I was at a used book sale and a teenage girl held up an old book and said to her mother "Twilight.  This guy ripped off the title from Stephanie Meyers.  She should sue."  Her mother rolled her eyes and told her that book is old and way before Stephanie Meyers.  The girl then said Stephanie Meyers should copyright "Twilight" (yes, the word) so nobody can rip her off.  The mother just walked to another table.

eta: I debated on buying that book just so if anybody ask what I'm currently reading, I can say Twilight.  Then watch their faces when I whip out the old book.
I'm not sure that titles are copyrightable.  Search Amazon for "Circle of Stone" and see how many different authors used that title, for instance.

ETA: And YAY for fellow posters who know that the term is "copyright" and not "copywrite!"
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Amara

« Reply #6706 on: January 25, 2013, 09:08:13 PM »
Titles are not in fact copyrightable. They are all up for grabs.

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6707 on: January 25, 2013, 09:22:24 PM »
Titles are not in fact copyrightable. They are all up for grabs.

That's why it made my brain (and I think the mother's) hurt  ;).

I was surprised she just walked off without educating her daughter though.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 09:26:44 PM by rose red »

BB-VA

« Reply #6708 on: January 25, 2013, 09:59:31 PM »
The trouble with expecting online readers to recognize tongue-in-cheek postings is that no matter how over the top they are, there's someone, somewhere, who would say the same thing for real.

True, there probably is someone, somewhere who believes all this stuff (hint: it's my MIL and she forwards EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM to me).  That doesn't mean the rest of the world has to censor their jokes to the lowest common denominator of understanding.

Now, if it was something potentially harmful...like 'Don't bother seeing a doctor for persistent chest pains...just eat onions!' then yes, that wouldn't be good.  But silly jokes like vestigial wings on buffalo I think are fine.

Now I have to tell one on myself: years ago, the Energizer battery company ran a series of commercials.  Each one started out looking like a regular commercial, although if you paid attention you could see it was a parody.  Midway through, the bunny (the Energizer mascot at the time) would come on thumping his drum and the 'real' battery commercial started.

I  was completely taken in by a parody commercial for a foreign film called 'Dance With Your Feet', to the point that I mentioned to my husband that I'd have to watch for it in the theater.  Then came the bunny...

The one with the "Airedale" air freshener almost got me. 

I had the opportunity to meet one of the producers of the spot, and he told me that by the end of that one (where they were actually spraying air freshener around the set) everybody in the cast and crew were wishing they had gas masks.
"The Universe puts us in places where we can learn. They are never easy places, but they are right. Wherever we are, it's the right place and the right time. Pain that sometimes comes is part of the process of constantly being born."
- Delenn to Sheridan: "Babylon 5 - Distant Star"

BB-VA

« Reply #6709 on: January 25, 2013, 10:10:07 PM »
My friend was telling me this one. She and her husband had seen The Hobbit on a date night. I'd seen it twice already so we started talking about it.

She said her brother had seen it too. He told her all about it in a rant about how they had just "ripped off LOTR" and how it was the "exact same story" and "how could they get away with blatant copyright." Apparently the fact that some of the same actors were in it and all the hinting toward the events of LOTR wasn't enough to clue him. She gently explained to him that the books had the same author and that The Hobbit was something of a prequel to LOTR. "Ohhhhh...."  :P

I remember coming out of Fellowship of the Ring and hearing a girl behind me ranting about the "lousy ending". When her companion explained it was a trilogy, she snorted, "So, they're trying to rip off Star Wars, are they?"

I heard someone rant after Return of the King that they just "copied the spider from Harry Potter. LAME!"

And all the people who told me they didn't want to see John Carter because it was just ripped off form Avatar. I wanted to cry.

And it was panned for being "old-fashioned".  Yeesh.

I have yet to read the book but my husband did and passed them on to my daughter.  So I am culturally literate enough to know what was going on, and who John Carter and Dejah Thoris were.   LOVED the movie, and I hope it will do a lot better in DVD sales.

Plus it was nice to see Juni Cortez all grown up.

BTW, around our house, the opthalmologist who treated our daughter's diabetic retinopathy is knows as The Warlord.  He is John Carter, MD.
"The Universe puts us in places where we can learn. They are never easy places, but they are right. Wherever we are, it's the right place and the right time. Pain that sometimes comes is part of the process of constantly being born."
- Delenn to Sheridan: "Babylon 5 - Distant Star"

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #6710 on: January 26, 2013, 02:44:34 PM »
I reads tons of misinformation or spin in my job as a lawyer - of course I don't take everything as absolute truth and this is in legal documents!
No joke!  My husband's worker's comp insurance carrier filed papers (the day after his therapy horse died) charging him with fraud.  There is a statement in there "he kneels down to groom the horse."  My friend asked me, "How do they know?"  I said, "They don't know.  They made it up.  He can't kneel."  Typical legal assault:  Throw a million allegations and see if any of them stick. >:(
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

phred246

« Reply #6711 on: January 26, 2013, 05:20:53 PM »
I finally got one for here!

Last year a company hired me, contingent on them winning a government contract, and my getting a DOD security clearance. They hired and paid me for five hours of filling out paperwork for the clearance, as you have to be an employee of the company paying for the clearance check. They didn't win the bid (so I was told, two weeks after the contract was to have started), I don't know if I got the clearance, but the company has enrolled me in their 401(k) plan, tried to get me to sign up for health insurance, sends me company newsletters, etc., even though I haven't done any work for them in seven months! So today I got a letter stating that they were reducing my hours, therefore I should consider signing up for COBRA, as I was no longer eligible for their health insurance plan! How can my hours be reduced below zero?

edited because I can't spell!
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 08:13:29 AM by phred246 »
Work fascinates me! I can stare at it for hours!

mmswm

« Reply #6712 on: January 26, 2013, 05:24:11 PM »
I have extremely thick, curly, nearly waist-length hair (and today I wore it down).  I went to the mall today (several of them, actually), and one of the little kiosks we passed was for hair care products.  The sales guy's pitch to entice me to stop was saying that his product would help my hair grow "thicker and longer".  Ummmm, really?  Did you even look at my hair?
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6713 on: January 26, 2013, 06:45:24 PM »
That reminds me of a Hair Cuttery stylist who asked me if I wanted my hair straightened.   It's already straight! I actually wouldn't mind having some curl to it but I wasn't about to say that because then she'd try to talk me into getting a perm.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Margo

« Reply #6714 on: January 27, 2013, 07:26:17 AM »
The trouble with expecting online readers to recognize tongue-in-cheek postings is that no matter how over the top they are, there's someone, somewhere, who would say the same thing for real.

I once ran into a clerk in a bookstore who suggested looking for an autobiography under "Fiction". I thought she was being funny. Then I realized she wasn't, as she dragged me through the fiction section for half an hour trying to find it.

I have no idea if the following is true or just a joke but someone told me that a public library in Australia moved all the books about a certain bicycle rider who quite recently admitted to doping from the non-fiction section to fiction.
It's not true that the library moved the books. A library patron put up a fake notice in the library, to that effect, and photos of it went viral. ( very entertaining, though!)

I once heard someone (who enjoyed reading fantasy novels) explaining that he didn't like 'Lord of the Rings' because it was 'derivative'. He could grasp the fact that although *he* read it after reading lots of other fantasy, it was actually *written* well before the things he thought it was ripping off...

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6715 on: January 27, 2013, 08:37:56 AM »
I have extremely thick, curly, nearly waist-length hair (and today I wore it down).  I went to the mall today (several of them, actually), and one of the little kiosks we passed was for hair care products.  The sales guy's pitch to entice me to stop was saying that his product would help my hair grow "thicker and longer".  Ummmm, really?  Did you even look at my hair?

Ha! Yes, I'm sure Merida from Brave is shopping for Extra Body shampoo as we speak.  ;D

cabbageweevil

« Reply #6716 on: January 27, 2013, 09:01:17 AM »
I once heard someone (who enjoyed reading fantasy novels) explaining that he didn't like 'Lord of the Rings' because it was 'derivative'. He could grasp the fact that although *he* read it after reading lots of other fantasy, it was actually *written* well before the things he thought it was ripping off...

A bit like the guy who said he thought Shakespeare was overrated -- he couldn't have had a very original mind: his plays are full of all these famous quotations...

that_one_girl

« Reply #6717 on: January 27, 2013, 09:20:07 AM »
That reminds me of a Hair Cuttery stylist who asked me if I wanted my hair straightened.   It's already straight! I actually wouldn't mind having some curl to it but I wasn't about to say that because then she'd try to talk me into getting a perm.

In her defense, my hairstylist does wonders to my already straight hair (to get it to curl takes hours and an entire can of hairspray, and even then it only lasts a short while) with a straightener.  Using the straightener somehow helps beat my individual hairs (they like to part a certain way) into submission and gets them to all lay in the same direction!
Though if you live in a dry area, the dry air probably acts as a straightener :)

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6718 on: January 27, 2013, 02:27:57 PM »
The thing is I hadn't even said anything about wanting straight hair and the way she was suggesting services (eyebrow waxing for one) made me think she was hoping to get me to spend more so she'd get a bigger tip. 

I had told her I didn't have a lot of time and had only had come in for a cut.  I had gone in with a friend who also got her hair cut and I didn't want to make her sit around and wait for me to get anything else done since by that time her cut had already finished since they took her first. 

But she kept offering these services. "Eyebrow waxing? Straightening? Coloring?"  ::) 
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

mmswm

« Reply #6719 on: January 27, 2013, 02:37:24 PM »
The thing is I hadn't even said anything about wanting straight hair and the way she was suggesting services (eyebrow waxing for one) made me think she was hoping to get me to spend more so she'd get a bigger tip. 

I had told her I didn't have a lot of time and had only had come in for a cut.  I had gone in with a friend who also got her hair cut and I didn't want to make her sit around and wait for me to get anything else done since by that time her cut had already finished since they took her first. 

But she kept offering these services. "Eyebrow waxing? Straightening? Coloring?"  ::)

Ya know, I know it's these people's jobs to sell more products or services, but a good salesman knows what pitch to use and when to back off.  If the guy at the mall had started off with "Wow, what beautiful long hair!  Superwonderful Hair product would be a great addition to your routine to help keep it strong and healthy!"  Or "Superamzing product helps with keeping it de-frizzed in this South Florida humidity!", I may have stopped and taken a look.  Likewise, had the stylist cutting your hair gone on and on about these wonderful services, and here's a coupon for 10% a return visit, you just might have come back in.  In both cases, the salespeople really missed the mark.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)