Author Topic: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt  (Read 1043961 times)

Kasia_Kiwi

• Yarn for the Road
Re: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt
« Reply #6765 on: January 29, 2013, 04:26:13 PM »
Yes, please move on. I love the Tolkien-verse too but this is neither the time, nor the thread.
Read about my time in scotland: http://yarnfortheroad.wordpress.com/

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #6766 on: January 29, 2013, 05:06:34 PM »
On topic.

I work with a woman (Sandy) who has demonstrated a tendency to speak before thinking, particularly when it concerns other people.

On my birthday, I went to work as usual. We had a meeting, and Sandy was there. She came up to me before the meeting.

Sandy: I can't believe you work on your birthday!
Me:  :o  ???  ::) Well, I do.

The meeting happens, I have to miss some of it for another appointment. After the meeting, I see the group and Sandy singles me out again.

Sandy: Well, I never work on my birthday.
Me:  :-X I kept silent and asked where the group was going to lunch.

I didn't realize until later that Sandy had also written in my birthday card: "So you don't take off work, but I am sure you celebrate on the weekend.  :) Happy Day, Sandy"

Does this type of circular conversation happen to anyone else?

By the way, my birthday happened to fall on the Friday before Martin Luther King, Jr day, so I had a 3-day weekend already.

magicdomino

« Reply #6767 on: January 29, 2013, 05:08:53 PM »
I go to work on my birthday because my boss gets me a cake.  At home, the cats don't give me a cake.

mmswm

« Reply #6768 on: January 29, 2013, 05:20:46 PM »
Personally I'd rather have the day after my birthday off.  That way, I can stay out celebrating as late as I'd like and not have to worry about waking up for work the next day.  For me, however, it's pretty much a non-issue, as my birthday is Christmas Eve.  Nothing is open and everywhere I've ever worked has been closed on Christmas day anyway.  When I was teaching, it was really a non-issue, as that was winter break.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Shalamar

« Reply #6769 on: January 29, 2013, 05:38:29 PM »
My birthday is in July, and I always try to schedule my vacation around it.  Works out great most years.  :)

Still on topic, but related to birthdays - my older daughter's birthday is December 21.  It's amazing how many people assume that she gets cheated out of presents, or that we consider her birthday to be less "special" because it's so close to Christmas. 

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6770 on: January 29, 2013, 06:31:29 PM »
My sister's birthday is December 15th and our parents and extended family did combine her celebrations every year. I have made sure to make her birthday special, even if we don't exchange gifts any more.

We had 11 days off for the holidays this past year. I returned to work 1/2, worked three days, then worked two full weeks before having a three day weekend. That is also crunch time, being at the beginning of a new semester.

mmswm

« Reply #6771 on: January 29, 2013, 06:42:13 PM »
For all their faults, that was one thing my parents did right.  My birthday was always special, and a completely separate event from Christmas with no exceptions.  There's some interesting family drama on the topic. :)

My brain is now broken.  The standing rule in the house is that the children are allowed to eat fresh fruits and veggies whenever they want, as long as they clean up after themselves.  This is the only thing they're allowed to "free feed" between meals. Tonight I happily toddle into the kitchen to make a meal that the kids have been asking for me to make for at least a  week.  Yesterday I went to the store to buy Italian bread, which is a primary ingredient in the meal.  I get to the kitchen and half the loaf is gone.

Me: AAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!  Who ate the Italian bread?
Lil Bro: Me.
Me: Why did you eat it?  I needed that for dinner!
Lil Bro: Well we're allowed to eat fruits and veggies whenever we want!
Me: Umm, bread is not a fruit or a veggie.
Lil Bro: But it's a grain!
Me: *pounds head into wall*
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6772 on: January 29, 2013, 06:48:54 PM »
I predict little brother goes into the legal profession. He is great at arguing!

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6773 on: January 29, 2013, 06:51:48 PM »
Ellen had one on her show.  She likes to keep tabs of the new reality shows coming out and she shares them with her audience. 

There was one kid who lived on a farm and was very proud to not have facebook or a cellphone or any other sort of social media.  She laughed and said "So he won't have a cellphone or facebook, but a reality show is okay?
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6774 on: January 29, 2013, 06:58:02 PM »
For all their faults, that was one thing my parents did right.  My birthday was always special, and a completely separate event from Christmas with no exceptions.  There's some interesting family drama on the topic. :)

My brain is now broken.  The standing rule in the house is that the children are allowed to eat fresh fruits and veggies whenever they want, as long as they clean up after themselves.  This is the only thing they're allowed to "free feed" between meals. Tonight I happily toddle into the kitchen to make a meal that the kids have been asking for me to make for at least a  week.  Yesterday I went to the store to buy Italian bread, which is a primary ingredient in the meal.  I get to the kitchen and half the loaf is gone.

(at least he knew that bread was a grain? :-\)

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #6775 on: January 29, 2013, 07:02:51 PM »

That kid's going places.

mmswm

« Reply #6776 on: January 29, 2013, 07:06:24 PM »
Yes, I do see law school in his future.  He's a bright kid, though he has some issues to overcome. His birth mother drank heavily and snorted cocaine heavily while she was pregnant with him.  He was taken into state custody after a positive cocaine test at birth.  He also has Fetal Alcohol Syndrome, but thankfully a mild to moderate case.  It does cause some learning issues, but assuming we can teach him how to cope with and compensate for it, I see a high dollar attorney for a little brother in my future.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #6777 on: January 30, 2013, 12:38:12 AM »
This could fit equally well with brain hurting, professional darwinism, or never shopping (banking) somewhere again, so I just picked one :-)

Some of my friends started a new scout troop this year for their girls.  Babybartfast won't be old enough to join until next year, so I'm on the rosters as one of the adult helpers for the troop but I don't really participate in much yet.  When my friend Alice went to open a bank account for the troop, she was told by the council that she had to go through LocalBank because all the troops had accounts there and they knew what to do.  She opened the account, got the little book of starter checks and deposit slips, ordered some real checks, etc.  Alice had several small deposits totaling a few hundred dollars (everyone's sign-up fees), then one larger deposit and a larger withdrawal at the same time - the deposit and withdrawal were about the same amount, but she had to put the money in and out for accounting purposes.  That was back in October - since then, it's mostly been a stream of small checks for various supplies the troop needs.

When the real checks came, Alice realized the bank account number was different than on her paperwork.  LocalBank wouldn't tell her who the account belonged to, but they were okay with her having a package of checks to draw on that account?  They finally were willing to tell her that the other account belonged to a different scout troop, and with some begging she got them to tell her the troop number, and with that she was able to track down (via the council) who the troop leader was.

As it comes out, the starter checkbook (checks and deposit slips) they gave Alice was for the wrong troop.  All the small deposits went into our troop account, because Alice was doing those with the deposit slips at the bank, but the checks were coming out of another troop's money!  And they hadn't noticed for three months!  The larger withdrawal would have bounced if Alice hadn't happened to have used one of the starter deposit slips for the larger deposit at the same time.

With the help of the council, they finally got everything resolved just in time before cookie sale season.  The real brain-hurty part: the other troop leader (and person responsible for the other troop's checkbook) is an accountant  :o  At the next meeting the council held for troop leaders (which they do once a month), the council staff stressed VERY strongly that everyone needed to actually check their troop's bank balance on a regular basis . . .

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #6778 on: January 30, 2013, 05:54:25 AM »
Still on topic, but related to birthdays - my older daughter's birthday is December 21.  It's amazing how many people assume that she gets cheated out of presents, or that we consider her birthday to be less "special" because it's so close to Christmas.
My birthday is also 21st and some of my friends and family do give me one present a year.

I had a brain hurty argument with someone about my birthdate versus my age. They insisted that becuase I was born in 1979 I must be 34 this year (the entire year). But they could not grasp that that only applies on the last 10 days of the year, you know, AFTER my 34th birthday at the end of this year. They resolutely insisted I was counting my birthdays wrong.
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #6779 on: January 30, 2013, 06:10:48 AM »
My birthday is also 21st and some of my friends and family do give me one present a year.

I had a brain hurty argument with someone about my birthdate versus my age. They insisted that becuase I was born in 1979 I must be 34 this year (the entire year). But they could not grasp that that only applies on the last 10 days of the year, you know, AFTER my 34th birthday at the end of this year. They resolutely insisted I was counting my birthdays wrong.

M was born at the end of December, in Year.  I was born at the beginning of January, in Year+2.  Sometimes, it hurts MY brain that I'm one year younger, not two!