Author Topic: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt  (Read 1003500 times)

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
Re: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt
« Reply #6795 on: January 30, 2013, 05:20:10 PM »
My bff will round up her age if she's within 4 months of her birthday.   I think it's kind of funny as she's possibly the only woman I know who makes herself older than she is.   

Friend: That's what happens when you're 57.
Me: Hon, you're 56. 
Friend: Well I will be 57 soon
Me: laughing Yeah, in March.  It's October, m'dear. 

She always does that.  Come Halloween this year she'll be saying she's 58.  I'm not one to lie about my age but I'm not going to claim I'm 35 until my birthday.  Why rush?  Though I'll admit this past year I couldn't remember if I was turning 34 or already was 34. I had to do the math to check. 

One office I worked in, some girls were playing "let's guess how old we each are!"  The office manager, knowing I had kids in elementary school, said "You're 29." I said she was close as I'd be turning 29 that November. 

Another girl in her early 20's said "I wouldn't have guessed you were that old!" I blinked at her and she blushed and laughed, saying "I just mean you look younger!"  I'm still in touch with her on fbook and can't wait till she turns 29.  >:D
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

BabylonSister

• Shake it!
« Reply #6796 on: January 30, 2013, 05:27:45 PM »
I do like your friend.  Once I get close to my birthday, I just add one year.  That makes the transition easier.  Plus, after a certain age, what's one more year? :P

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #6797 on: January 30, 2013, 05:29:42 PM »
MIL started telling people she was 65 when she was in her early 50s, so they'd all tell her she looked good for her age and she'd "be ready for it."  Then when she turned 65, she started telling people she was 75.  (She's turning 70 this summer, so we'll see how long the trend continues!)  It is hard to guess her age - her hair went all white in her 30s (which corresponds to when DH was little, but I digress) and she has good skin, so she looks like she could be anywhere from 50 to 80.

Kimblee

• I look good in white....
  • Super Hero!
  • "Hugs don't go Boom." "They don't? Since when?"
    • My Blog
« Reply #6798 on: January 30, 2013, 05:41:24 PM »
Minor brain hurt.

I took my youngest daughter, who is 3 months old, to the doctor this morning.  When I was in an examination room with a tech, she was making conversation with me, and asked, "So, is this your youngest child?"  About a three-month-old.  It would be pretty hard to have another child younger than her!  It's only a minor brain hurt, however, because she was just making conversation and wasn't really thinking too hard about what she was asking.  But I still thought it pretty hilarious.

Well... a friend of mine has a set of twins born in March, and a younger son born the following September.

But then, the youngest is adopted.

She likes to freak people out though when she just casually mentions their ages and leaves them to figure out what's wrong with this picture...

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6799 on: January 30, 2013, 05:42:24 PM »
My DDs are 2 years and 1 day apart. I remember perfectly well what the dates are. I just get confused sometimes as to who's bday is on which date. At the Dr.'s office once, when asked what my DD#1's bday was I paused and had to think a bit:

DD#1: You forgot what my birthday was?

Me: Oh. I remember the date! I just forgot which child you were.

DD#1:  :o

Me:  ;D

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6800 on: January 30, 2013, 05:49:09 PM »
I do like your friend.  Once I get close to my birthday, I just add one year.  That makes the transition easier.  Plus, after a certain age, what's one more year? :P

LOL! Yeah that sounds like her too.  She used to say "I'm the same age as your mother." I said "No, you're two years younger."  She chuckled and said "Honey, once you're in your 50's it doesn't really matter."
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

amandaelizabeth

• Amanda's home based ece
« Reply #6801 on: January 30, 2013, 06:33:38 PM »
We got married on DH's birthday.  He does not like to celebrate his birthday but does manage to remember our anniversary.

This year is a big milestone birthday.  Our national airline is having a big promotion to Hawaii and I had enough airpoints to get two tickets.  I had to take the dates they had available and did not notice that we fly on our anniversary.  Thing is we live west of the International Date Line and Hawaii is east of us and the Date Line.  So he will be able to celebrate his birthday here and then again the next day in Hawaii.  He did think about not going but the lure of Hawaii was just too strong.  We keep telling him he will gain two years in two days.  I think his brain is hurting.

Kimblee

• I look good in white....
  • Super Hero!
  • "Hugs don't go Boom." "They don't? Since when?"
    • My Blog
« Reply #6802 on: January 30, 2013, 06:39:39 PM »
And to add, there was one time when my roommate asked my mother, "Did you know that Snowflake is turning 20 tomorrow?"

My mother's response was, "It took me 36 hours to get her out.  How could I forget it?"

My mom forgot my birthday once so yeah - I can see it happening. The best part was that we were discussing what to do for my birthday and the phone rang and my mom says "Wolfie's bday? no we don't have any plans for that day"

My mother always forgot my birthday. She would confuse it with my cousin's, a day earlier. I'd always tease her, "Mom, weren't you THERE?"

My dad once forgot my birthday until he turned on the news and realized that it was the anniversary of the 9/11 attacks (yep, my birthday is 9/11).

A friend of mine's baby was born september 11th. (I think 2001 even. But it might have been the year after.) She was told by someone (I don't remember what brought this on, its been awhile.) that it was selfish of her to celebrate her baby's birthday on 9/11 because that day was "tainted" by the tragedy and should be left "just" for the victims.

Friend may or may not have abided by etiquette friendly terms when she told the person just what she thought of that.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6803 on: January 30, 2013, 06:47:24 PM »
I have a cousin who was born on that day.  He was adopted from Vietnam and my aunt and uncle didn't really find out till several months later when they got the information about him. 

Thankfully no one has said anything like that to my aunt and uncle. 

Giggity

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6804 on: January 30, 2013, 06:56:38 PM »
Can we move the birthday discussion to its own thread, please?
Words mean things.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #6805 on: January 30, 2013, 08:39:06 PM »
My bff will round up her age if she's within 4 months of her birthday.   I think it's kind of funny as she's possibly the only woman I know who makes herself older than she is.   

Friend: That's what happens when you're 57.
Me: Hon, you're 56. 
Friend: Well I will be 57 soon
Me: laughing Yeah, in March.  It's October, m'dear. 

She always does that.  Come Halloween this year she'll be saying she's 58.  I'm not one to lie about my age but I'm not going to claim I'm 35 until my birthday.  Why rush?  Though I'll admit this past year I couldn't remember if I was turning 34 or already was 34. I had to do the math to check. 

One office I worked in, some girls were playing "let's guess how old we each are!"  The office manager, knowing I had kids in elementary school, said "You're 29." I said she was close as I'd be turning 29 that November. 

Another girl in her early 20's said "I wouldn't have guessed you were that old!" I blinked at her and she blushed and laughed, saying "I just mean you look younger!"  I'm still in touch with her on fbook and can't wait till she turns 29.  >:D

I do this, my birthday is in May so after about February or so I just round my age up to the next year.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6806 on: January 31, 2013, 09:22:18 AM »

I did do this until I added a year to my age for a full year. The only reason I realized the issue was one sister turned 60 and another turned 50 and I couldn't understand why I was suddenly 12 & 2 years younger than them versus the 13 & 3 years difference I been the rest of my life.  So I got celebrate my 47th bday twice.

bopper

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6807 on: January 31, 2013, 10:06:43 AM »

I've had that same conversation with my snoring hubby! When he starts snoring, I hit him so he either rolls over onto his side, which helps, or at least wakes up a second or two and then doesn't snore for a while. He also conks out *like that* while I have insomnia and weird sleep patterns.

A few times, apparently, I've hit him for no good reason.

Him: snork, snork
I hit him lightly on the shoulder
Him: Why did you hit me? I wasn't asleep.
Me: You were snoring.
Him: No I wasn't. I wasn't even asleep!
Me: You were making the sames sounds you make when you snore.
Him: I wasn't asleep!
Me: Well, then, I'm sorry I hit you, but you were making the same dingdangity sounds you do when you sleep.
Me: Dude, you don't have to defend yourself. Being asleep, at night, in bed isn't a character flaw.

We assume there is Asleep and Awake...but I think there is an alpha sleep phase in between where you are in half sleep.  Your brain hasn't shut down entirely and you still hear the TV or whatever, but your body has started relaxing and snoring.  I have had this exact same conversation.

Reika

« Reply #6808 on: January 31, 2013, 10:28:18 AM »
Not a conversation, but a movie.

I watched the newest Resident Evil movie last night that left me dazed in not good ways. My brain felt more tired than it did after work.

Seraphia

• Unabashed cat person
« Reply #6809 on: January 31, 2013, 10:32:19 AM »

I've had that same conversation with my snoring hubby! When he starts snoring, I hit him so he either rolls over onto his side, which helps, or at least wakes up a second or two and then doesn't snore for a while. He also conks out *like that* while I have insomnia and weird sleep patterns.

A few times, apparently, I've hit him for no good reason.

Him: snork, snork
I hit him lightly on the shoulder
Him: Why did you hit me? I wasn't asleep.
Me: You were snoring.
Him: No I wasn't. I wasn't even asleep!
Me: You were making the sames sounds you make when you snore.
Me: Well, then, I'm sorry I hit you, but you were making the same dingdangity sounds you do when you sleep.
Me: Dude, you don't have to defend yourself. Being asleep, at night, in bed isn't a character flaw.

We assume there is Asleep and Awake...but I think there is an alpha sleep phase in between where you are in half sleep.  Your brain hasn't shut down entirely and you still hear the TV or whatever, but your body has started relaxing and snoring.  I have had this exact same conversation.

Me too. It's the old: "I was watching that!" "With your eyes shut and snoring?" conversation. Apparently the Hubs can see through his own eyelids when it's a baseball game on. I do it with cooking shows though, so I can't exactly claim the high ground.
Ancora Imparo - I am still learning