Author Topic: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt  (Read 1043930 times)

exitzero

Re: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt
« Reply #6810 on: January 31, 2013, 10:41:27 AM »

I've had that same conversation with my snoring hubby! When he starts snoring, I hit him so he either rolls over onto his side, which helps, or at least wakes up a second or two and then doesn't snore for a while. He also conks out *like that* while I have insomnia and weird sleep patterns.

A few times, apparently, I've hit him for no good reason.

Him: snork, snork
I hit him lightly on the shoulder
Him: Why did you hit me? I wasn't asleep.
Me: You were snoring.
Him: No I wasn't. I wasn't even asleep!
Me: You were making the sames sounds you make when you snore.
Him: I wasn't asleep!
Me: Well, then, I'm sorry I hit you, but you were making the same dingdangity sounds you do when you sleep.
Me: Dude, you don't have to defend yourself. Being asleep, at night, in bed isn't a character flaw.

We assume there is Asleep and Awake...but I think there is an alpha sleep phase in between where you are in half sleep.  Your brain hasn't shut down entirely and you still hear the TV or whatever, but your body has started relaxing and snoring.  I have had this exact same conversation.

Me too. It's the old: "I was watching that!" "With your eyes shut and snoring?" conversation. Apparently the Hubs can see through his own eyelids when it's a baseball game on. I do it with cooking shows though, so I can't exactly claim the high ground.

During Downton Abbey on Sunday, my boyfriend was snoring so loud I coulnd't hear the TV. I woke him up. He claimed he wasn't snoring, "it just sounded like it."   :o

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6811 on: January 31, 2013, 10:47:07 AM »

I've had that same conversation with my snoring hubby! When he starts snoring, I hit him so he either rolls over onto his side, which helps, or at least wakes up a second or two and then doesn't snore for a while. He also conks out *like that* while I have insomnia and weird sleep patterns.

Me: Well, then, I'm sorry I hit you, but you were making the same dingdangity sounds you do when you sleep.
Me: Dude, you don't have to defend yourself. Being asleep, at night, in bed isn't a character flaw.

We assume there is Asleep and Awake...but I think there is an alpha sleep phase in between where you are in half sleep.  Your brain hasn't shut down entirely and you still hear the TV or whatever, but your body has started relaxing and snoring.  I have had this exact same conversation.

Me too. It's the old: "I was watching that!" "With your eyes shut and snoring?" conversation. Apparently the Hubs can see through his own eyelids when it's a baseball game on. I do it with cooking shows though, so I can't exactly claim the high ground.

And I thought my DH was the only one who would argue about being asleep and snoring.

FlyingBaconMouse

• In my belfry...
« Reply #6812 on: January 31, 2013, 10:50:56 AM »

And I thought my DH was the only one who would argue about being asleep and snoring.

My dad used to call it "concentrating."  ;D
I don't kill threads, but I do seem to stun 'em pretty good. :-)

snowflake

« Reply #6813 on: January 31, 2013, 12:06:56 PM »
I claim to be awake, because I really think I am.  My husband on the other hand never has that middle ground in between.  He's either fully awake or asleep.  I have been hoping it would rub off on me, but it doesn't seem to be doing so.  SIGH.

Back to the brain-hurt: My entire family has sleep apnea issues.  We all snore and everyone is in denial about it.  They will get very angry if you try and move them to stop the snoring and they wake up and accuse you of lying.  Because yes, I am awake at 2 am desperately trying to reposition instead of sleeping in my own bed just for the heck of it!  Everyone complains about how bad the other family members snore,  but claims that they are the only one that doesn't snore!  (I know I do, I had to face the facts and get treatment when I realized I was sleep-deprived.)

About 30 years after the "snoring fights" first started, the denial about snoring has been cited in at least two of the messy divorces.  Meaning the siblings refused medical treatment and got angry when the spouse acted like they were snoring (put in earplugs, went to sleep in another room).

They still deny snoring.  I don't get it. 

Elisabunny

« Reply #6814 on: January 31, 2013, 12:48:09 PM »

My dad used to call it "concentrating."  ;D

I remember classes in college during which I was quite convinced I could see my notebook (and therefore take notes) through my closed eyelids.  Yeah, I'd discover later that my notes were not very legible.
You must remember this: a ghoti is still a fish...

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6815 on: January 31, 2013, 01:22:26 PM »
I know I snore.  There's no point in my denying it because there was at one point a recording of it because my mother had to record my awful snoring (at the time) to prove to our insurance company that I snored and needed surgery. 

DH snores softly, and sometimes I can sleep through it once I'm asleep but when I'm trying to sleep and I hear it, I'll give him a gentle nudge and without a word he'll shift and it stops.

But for years he would insist that he does not snore.  Until he had a sleep study and he bashfully admitted to me they told him he snores. I said "Oh sure, believe people you've slept in front of on machines for one night but not the woman you've shared a bed with for 11 years?" He countered "Well, you snore too!"

"Yeah but unlike you I fess up to it."
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6816 on: January 31, 2013, 02:01:46 PM »
I claim to be awake, because I really think I am.  My husband on the other hand never has that middle ground in between.  He's either fully awake or asleep.  I have been hoping it would rub off on me, but it doesn't seem to be doing so.  SIGH.

Back to the brain-hurt: My entire family has sleep apnea issues.  We all snore and everyone is in denial about it.  They will get very angry if you try and move them to stop the snoring and they wake up and accuse you of lying.  Because yes, I am awake at 2 am desperately trying to reposition instead of sleeping in my own bed just for the heck of it!  Everyone complains about how bad the other family members snore,  but claims that they are the only one that doesn't snore!  (I know I do, I had to face the facts and get treatment when I realized I was sleep-deprived.)

About 30 years after the "snoring fights" first started, the denial about snoring has been cited in at least two of the messy divorces.  Meaning the siblings refused medical treatment and got angry when the spouse acted like they were snoring (put in earplugs, went to sleep in another room).

And no one has ever tape recorder the snorers?  If they do, just make sure their sleeping partners are in on the plan.

I remember my dad bringing home his new cassette tape recorder around 1973. We'd all complained about Dad's snoring keeping the entire house awake so I decided the perfect way to break in his new toy was to set it up to record him.  Being 7, I didn't think about the "other" noises likely to be captured when I hid the recorder in my parents room. When I retrieved it the next morning, and giddly ran into the kitchen telling my mom what I had done, I didn't understand why she turned white and became very upset and angry and demanded I give her the cassette tape immediately.  I was probably in my early 20's before I thought back and realized what was probably on that tape. 

nuit93

« Reply #6817 on: January 31, 2013, 02:10:24 PM »

And no one has ever tape recorder the snorers?  If they do, just make sure their sleeping partners are in on the plan.

I remember my dad bringing home his new cassette tape recorder around 1973. We'd all complained about Dad's snoring keeping the entire house awake so I decided the perfect way to break in his new toy was to set it up to record him.  Being 7, I didn't think about the "other" noises likely to be captured when I hid the recorder in my parents room. When I retrieved it the next morning, and giddly ran into the kitchen telling my mom what I had done, I didn't understand why she turned white and became very upset and angry and demanded I give her the cassette tape immediately.  I was probably in my early 20's before I thought back and realized what was probably on that tape.

;D

That's hilarious!

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #6818 on: January 31, 2013, 02:22:42 PM »
When I was a kid, I liked to play Spy with my Dad's microcassette recorder, hiding it around his office. He'd always find it when it hit the end of the tape (it was pretty old, and didn't just quit gracefully when it hit the end of the tape, it made noise at you until you shut it off), and it's probably a very good thing I didn't hide it in bedrooms at home.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #6819 on: January 31, 2013, 03:20:30 PM »
MIL started telling people she was 65 when she was in her early 50s, so they'd all tell her she looked good for her age and she'd "be ready for it."  Then when she turned 65, she started telling people she was 75.  (She's turning 70 this summer, so we'll see how long the trend continues!)  It is hard to guess her age - her hair went all white in her 30s (which corresponds to when DH was little, but I digress) and she has good skin, so she looks like she could be anywhere from 50 to 80.

HAHAHA! I always joke that i am going to start doing that. It's nice to hear someone actually does.
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

snowflake

« Reply #6820 on: January 31, 2013, 04:40:42 PM »

AWESOME!

When we were little, we didn't have any tape-recorders that could be easily hidden. I suppose they existed, but I only recall owning the large clunky ones.

Of course that reminds me of another brain-hurty moment related.  My sister accused my brother of keeping her awake with his snoring.  He had his own boom box (YAY 80s!) and recorded himself on both sides of a 60 minute cassette. 

He played it the next day to prove to all of us for once and all that he didn't snore.  My sister pointed out that the fact that he had flipped the tape over to record the other side showed that he had been awake for a good portion of the recording.  He said that he couldn't get to sleep with the sound of the tape (some of those old players sort of creaked.)  "But that doesn't change the fact that I do not snore anywhere on this recording!"

I know that makes him sound stupid, but at the time he was on the Honor roll at high school, was concertmaster of a hard-to-get-into youth orchestra and a few years after that he got a full-ride scholarship to a decently-ranked university.  Oh, and he's now a professor at another even more prestigious university.

I think that's why my brain hurts more when my family does stuff like this.  They SHOULD be too smart for this.

MyFamily

« Reply #6821 on: January 31, 2013, 05:23:46 PM »
No exchange happened here, but my brain did break!

B/G - I work at a school.  it is currently below freezing (I think we are above zero, but I could be wrong).  My office overlooks the courtyard.

I just observed a student walk through the courtyard wearing a mask to protect his face from the cold.  He also had on short-sleeves and no coat.  I don't ask, I just return to my computer and watch the minutes go by on the clock until I can finally leave for the day.

"The test of good manners is to be patient with bad ones" - Solomon ibn Gabirol

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6822 on: January 31, 2013, 05:35:33 PM »

B/G - I work at a school.  it is currently below freezing (I think we are above zero, but I could be wrong).  My office overlooks the courtyard.

I just observed a student walk through the courtyard wearing a mask to protect his face from the cold.  He also had on short-sleeves and no coat.  I don't ask, I just return to my computer and watch the minutes go by on the clock until I can finally leave for the day.

We're having the same weather -- I think it's about -6 windchill.

At least the kid I saw on my way home from work today had a jacket on (sweatshirt hoodie ::)) but the hood was down. AND he was wearing shorts.

That made my brain freeze!

Addy

« Reply #6823 on: January 31, 2013, 07:18:34 PM »

The bolded just hurt my brain. I was thinking, "how could it be above zero if it's freezing?" Then I remembered Fahrenheit not Celcius. ;D

Carotte

« Reply #6824 on: January 31, 2013, 08:34:48 PM »

I made the (train) ticket controller* brain hurt last time. While getting out of station C my ticket wouldn't work, and we have those doors that only open with a valid ticket, no way to pass above or under, and it's on another level as the counter or anyone that could help (stupid set up).
I was pondering going behind someone, which would be considered fraud even with a valid ticket if you get a grumpy controller.
Thankfully there was a pair of controllers so I told one of them that my ticket didn't work, and we had a few minutes of miscomunication, he thought I couldn't get in (even tho I was already 'in') while I couldn't get 'out'. Mix that with the fact that I explained it had been validated at 2 train station (perfectly normal and ok) that where 1h from station C...

*(I'm sorry, couldn't wikipedia the correct word, it's the person that checks the validity of your ticket inside trains/metro or even stations)