Author Topic: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt  (Read 1043233 times)

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
Re: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt
« Reply #6915 on: February 03, 2013, 07:53:30 PM »
CLIP .....
Which reminds me...

I am a strong believer in the benefits of breastfeeding for both mother and child.  I believe women should be encouraged to breastfeed and supported in their effort.  I do not, however, believe they should be bullied or guilted into it, nor should they be lied to.  During my years of breastfeeding, I saw quite a few brain-hurty statements on various forums.

1. One woman questioned all the mothers at her Church, asking them if they breastfed, and if not, what their excuse was.  And she complained on the forum that not one of them gave her a proper excuse.  Attempts to explain that those mothers were not accountable to her about their parenting decisions never got through to her.

#1 burns me up - A couple of people had the nerve to tell my Mom that it was her fault that I have asthma and allergies.
1. My mom technically was diagnosed with hepatitis a couple of years before I was born. (Her blood count went from you are on deaths door to cured in less than 24 hours so the diagnoses was probably a math error in placing the decimal.)

2. We both nearly died when I was born

3. My skin condition is genetic and closely linked to food allergies in recent research.

4. My Mom was on the critical list with a life threatening fever when I had my first allergic reaction - I was less than 2 hours old.

Thank you for standing up for people like my Mom.

IIRC, I have one of the same skin conditions as you, KHerbert, although not as bad. And yet my mother wasn't a fan of either formula or commercial baby food.

I guess someone must have been feeding the evil stuff to me in secret, hmm? ;D
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6916 on: February 03, 2013, 08:28:46 PM »
Piratelvr1121, thank you.  I think I needed to hear that.  :)

You're welcome, and I wish someone had said that to me when I had my older two but I was constantly getting the guilt trips from some.  Like the people at WIC (this was almost 12 years ago so things may have changed) who gave me dirty looks when I asked for formula vouchers and insinuated I wasn't trying hard enough and didn't love my son enough because I didn't want the best for him by giving him formula and not trying harder. 

My backbone is stronger now and I can just ignore those who try to guilt trip me.  My boys are healthy, are no less intelligent than their peers, and we're still close.  :)
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

LadyJaneinMD

« Reply #6917 on: February 04, 2013, 11:04:13 AM »
RE -- Clock hands:

I also learned big hand, little hand and second hand.

I remember when I was first learning to tell time, my mother would sometimes get second hand clothes for us kids. That kinda made my little brain hurt "What? really fast clothes?"

That makes sense, though.  That *is* how fast little kids outgrow them.

Nikko-chan

« Reply #6918 on: February 04, 2013, 11:12:47 AM »
Piratelvr1121, thank you.  I think I needed to hear that.  :)

You're welcome, and I wish someone had said that to me when I had my older two but I was constantly getting the guilt trips from some.  Like the people at WIC (this was almost 12 years ago so things may have changed) who gave me dirty looks when I asked for formula vouchers and insinuated I wasn't trying hard enough and didn't love my son enough because I didn't want the best for him by giving him formula and not trying harder. 

My backbone is stronger now and I can just ignore those who try to guilt trip me.  My boys are healthy, are no less intelligent than their peers, and we're still close.  :)

Piratelvr, I just want you to know, my aunt has been working at WIC for about thirty years, and had you come into her office and someone had said that to you within her earshot she would have dragged them out of the room and told them off. Then she would have apologized for their stupidity and given you the vouchers. :)  I am really sorry you had to go through that with your WIC office.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6919 on: February 04, 2013, 11:45:03 AM »
Aw, thanks! :) I have been told by others in different regions that they're not all the bf fanatics like the ones I came across.  That was in Oceanside, CA in 2001-3.   After I had the piratebabe one of the people of the hospital tried to get me to sign up for WIC but we didn't really need it so we didn't.

I did have one midwife while I was pregnant try to talk me into bf'ing but I told her nope, not going to happen and after that visit I only saw her once more and she didn't bring it up again.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Free Range Hippy Chick

« Reply #6920 on: February 04, 2013, 11:57:46 AM »

In Canada we had a company called the Pop Shoppe that was similar, they'd deliver all sorts of different flavours and pick up the empties.

What is squash?
Squash is cordial - you dilute it with water to get a non- sparkling drink. When I was little you used to get orange squash, lemon squash and Ribena (blackcurrant) but these days you get all sorts of different flavours.

Ah, thanks.

Am I the only person on here who remembers Creamola Foam? Now that really was soda.

selkiewoman

« Reply #6921 on: February 04, 2013, 12:51:51 PM »
I remember Creamola Foam very well (my grandmother used to get it for me - would that be the fifties?)  Was that just a UK thing?

ica171

• Must Add Fabric Softener
« Reply #6922 on: February 04, 2013, 01:02:36 PM »
Re: breastfeeding being the best choice and formula being terrible. I once saw a post (I believe in response to a Regretsy post) where the author claimed that she called CPS on parents that formula feed. I believe she also called on parents who circumcise. That statement made a lot of brains hurt, and probably a lot of heads from where their owners were pounding them against their desks.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #6923 on: February 04, 2013, 01:08:46 PM »
I was formula fed (as were my sisters), even though my mom wanted to breast feed, because in conservative north Texas (in 1968-1977), pregnant women were educated (by pre-natal classes at the hospital) that formula was better than breast milk.  ???

When I chose to breast feed when I was home, and DS received formula when I wasn't, my mother was shocked and tried to have me change to all formula. I made the educated choice for myself and DS, and I am happy with it. I feel that is the mother's decision alone, and support them.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6924 on: February 04, 2013, 01:11:08 PM »
Re: breastfeeding being the best choice and formula being terrible. I once saw a post (I believe in response to a Regretsy post) where the author claimed that she called CPS on parents that formula feed. I believe she also called on parents who circumcise. That statement made a lot of brains hurt, and probably a lot of heads from where their owners were pounding them against their desks.

I'm sure CPS was just thrilled to pieces to get those calls. *sarcasm*

ica171

• Must Add Fabric Softener
« Reply #6925 on: February 04, 2013, 01:13:00 PM »

I'm sure CPS was just thrilled to pieces to get those calls. *sarcasm*

Yes, don't you know they have tons of free time to deal with the loons who think that their choices are the only valid ones? I really hope if she actually did call that she got told off, although the way she wrote it didn't sound like it.

Free Range Hippy Chick

« Reply #6926 on: February 04, 2013, 01:19:42 PM »
I remember Creamola Foam very well (my grandmother used to get it for me - would that be the fifties?)  Was that just a UK thing?

I think so. It came from Scotland, and we got it in Northern Ireland too; it went on longer than I thought and there's a company in Dumbarton now making it under a slightly different name, I believe. But when you read the list of ingredients... it was baking soda, sugar and flavourings. Not exactly the height of sophistication!

mmswm

« Reply #6927 on: February 04, 2013, 01:20:22 PM »
This topic burns my britches.  I'm very pro-breastfeeding.  I think, barring any known medical contraindications, new mothers should at least give it their best try.  Will it always work?  No.  And in those cases, the mother should be supported in seeking out alternatives.  And yes, there are alternatives to formula.  Wet nurses still exist and breast milk banks are available in some areas.  If a mother wants to use those or formula, that's her call.

Even as pro-breastfeeding as I am, I still had to formula feed my middle child.  I was put in a position where I had to choose between continuing to breastfeed him, or possibly lose the new baby I'd just become pregnant with. I have extremely high risk pregnancies.  DS2 was barely 5 months old and DS3 was born at 24 weeks.  Had I continued to nurse DS2, I may very well have lost the new baby, as one of my issues is pre-term labor and nursing a previous baby can increase pre-term contractions.

So, about two weeks after DS3 was born, I was out shopping with my older two.  Of course I was an emotional mess.  DS3 was still in NICU, barely hanging on to life.  DS2 was 11 months old.  At some point, he wanted a bottle and I gave him one.  That's when the SS verbally attacked me and told me "it was obvious that I didn't love my child, since I'd never feed him that poison if I cared at all for him."

Um, yeah.  You can imagine how well that went over.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Giggity

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6928 on: February 04, 2013, 01:21:25 PM »
Could we please move the breastfeeding talk to another thread?
Words mean things.

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #6929 on: February 04, 2013, 03:40:31 PM »
So, about two weeks after DS3 was born, I was out shopping with my older two.  Of course I was an emotional mess.  DS3 was still in NICU, barely hanging on to life.  DS2 was 11 months old.  At some point, he wanted a bottle and I gave him one.  That's when the SS verbally attacked me and told me "it was obvious that I didn't love my child, since I'd never feed him that poison if I cared at all for him."

Um, yeah.  You can imagine how well that went over.
How long was the SS in the hospital?  Or did they live that long?
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius