Author Topic: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt  (Read 1052371 times)

norrina

Re: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt
« Reply #6960 on: February 07, 2013, 10:09:18 AM »
One of my friends mouthed off to a Dean about how bad his course load was last semester and got some sort of permanent "mark" on his account. I know that being in law school doesn't automatically make you a slick, smooth-talking politician, but at this point in your life what don't you get about "You catch more flies with honey"?  ???

It's law school. Did he think it was going to be three years of cakewalks and underwater basket weaving?

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6961 on: February 07, 2013, 11:05:40 AM »
My mom has caused me plenty of brain-hurting moments with computers, too, so I feel your pain, Miss Tickle. She really, really tries and has actually learned to do some stuff on the computer on her own, that I don't know how to do, because she really wanted to do it. But then she'll call with a problem and can't really explain it to me with words I understand, and can't answer the questions I ask, and can't do simple things like copy and paste or type an address into a browser, and we both just end up really frustrated.  :( I'm not at all a computer person, I just use them a lot more than she does, so I really don't want to be "responsible" for her computer use and maintenance, but I also don't want to be totally unhelpful.
~Lynn2000

2littlemonkeys

« Reply #6962 on: February 07, 2013, 11:16:51 AM »
I have a relative who tries to play on the internet but she just can't seem to figure out how it all works.  I had my computer home over the Christmas holiday and she was over.  One of the kids was playing games on Disneyjr.com or one of those sites.  She thought it was cool but said something like, "I don't think my computer has that."  I think she thinks the websites are programs like Word or Excel and you have to load them.  Or something.  I've tried but I just can't get her to understand that if she has internet access (she does) then she should be able to get to pretty much everywhere by typing in the address.

turtleIScream

« Reply #6963 on: February 07, 2013, 11:19:00 AM »
On the radio this morning, they were doing a call-in segment, asking listeners if they paid their kids for certain things. Several callers talked about paying their kids for good grades. One woman in particular seemed to not have a grasp of financial realities. She pays her kids $100 for As. She does this because her kids like expensive things that the family can't afford, so she pays them so they can afford it themselves.

BabyMama

• Jamberry Nail Wraps
« Reply #6964 on: February 07, 2013, 11:24:50 AM »
I think we have the same mom, Miss Tickle. I sure don't miss all the phone calls about how our computer was running slow and so it must be infected with viruses and it must be all my fault because I used it for "all those Internet searches"...nevermind that it was laden with thousands of pirated Napster songs downloaded by my sister, that there was no firewall or virus protection, that the poor thing had very little memory and most of it was used, and that my mom has no concept of closing windows so would use the computer with 15-20 Internet windows up at the same time. Must have been my fault by using Google to do homework.  ::)
Ask me about Jamberry Nail Wraps!

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6965 on: February 07, 2013, 11:38:49 AM »
The thread on the New England Blizzard reminded me of this.

Several years ago, NYC got hit with 2 feet of snow in a surprisingly short time. 

The operators of a very nice Mom & Pop grocery lived over the store and could stay open longer to provide local people with emergency supplies such as diapers, batteries, cold cuts and milk. 

Around midnight we were experiencing close to white-out conditions. They were closing when there was a furious knocking at the door of the shop. 

This could be a true emergency.  Perhaps the guy was stranded and couldn't get home.  The family unlocked the door and a man entered.  He was covered in snow and gasping for breath.  He seemed to be in dire need of warmth or shelter. What could they provide?

'Do you guys have any cumin?'

mmswm

« Reply #6966 on: February 07, 2013, 12:07:21 PM »
The thread on the New England Blizzard reminded me of this.

Several years ago, NYC got hit with 2 feet of snow in a surprisingly short time. 

The operators of a very nice Mom & Pop grocery lived over the store and could stay open longer to provide local people with emergency supplies such as diapers, batteries, cold cuts and milk. 

Around midnight we were experiencing close to white-out conditions. They were closing when there was a furious knocking at the door of the shop. 

This could be a true emergency.  Perhaps the guy was stranded and couldn't get home.  The family unlocked the door and a man entered.  He was covered in snow and gasping for breath.  He seemed to be in dire need of warmth or shelter. What could they provide?

'Do you guys have any cumin?'

In my house this could be a life or death emergency!  How do you make white chili or fajitas without cumin?!?!?!?
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #6967 on: February 07, 2013, 12:45:23 PM »
On the radio this morning, they were doing a call-in segment, asking listeners if they paid their kids for certain things. Several callers talked about paying their kids for good grades. One woman in particular seemed to not have a grasp of financial realities. She pays her kids $100 for As. She does this because her kids like expensive things that the family can't afford, so she pays them so they can afford it themselves.

:o *blink* *blink*  ???

*passes out*

Amava

« Reply #6968 on: February 07, 2013, 01:04:28 PM »

First I was like: "Ouch! My brain! How??"

But then I started to think it makes sense but she just worded it in a confusing way.
She probably means her kids want all kinds of expensive things all the time and she couldn't afford to buy them all. So she gives them 100 for each A so that they 1. have to wait and save for a while to buy expensive things and 2. think more thoroughly about what they want, before they make a choice and actually buy something.
So she probably means that buy giving them money, they can afford to buy /one/ of the many things they want from time to time, while the family couldn't afford to buy them /every/ thing they want all the time.
It makes sense that way, so I think that is what she means.

But she worded it very brainhurtily indeed.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6969 on: February 07, 2013, 01:12:35 PM »
Ah yes, put that way it does make a lot more sense!
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #6970 on: February 07, 2013, 01:16:54 PM »
My mom has caused me plenty of brain-hurting moments with computers, too, so I feel your pain, Miss Tickle. She really, really tries and has actually learned to do some stuff on the computer on her own, that I don't know how to do, because she really wanted to do it. But then she'll call with a problem and can't really explain it to me with words I understand, and can't answer the questions I ask, and can't do simple things like copy and paste or type an address into a browser, and we both just end up really frustrated.  :( I'm not at all a computer person, I just use them a lot more than she does, so I really don't want to be "responsible" for her computer use and maintenance, but I also don't want to be totally unhelpful.

My Mom's gotten quite good doing her own tech support, and reboots and resetting the router usually solve her problems. For everything else there's the XKCD Tech Support Cheat Sheet: http://xkcd.com/627/ or, the next time she has a problem I can't diagnose over the phone, I'm having her install this: http://www.teamviewer.com/en/index.aspx.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #6971 on: February 07, 2013, 01:17:43 PM »

My dad hurt my brain when I was a kid.  Many of my friends got money rewards for good grades.  I didn't and I asked about it.  I was in third or fourth grade at the time.  My dad said "why should I pay you for good grades?  Its your job to get good grades, you shouldn't need to be bribed."

I was a kid sure, but I was old enough to know my dad didn't go to work every morning for fun, or for free.  He went because it was his job and he was paid for it.  It wasn't bribery, it was payment for a job done.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #6972 on: February 07, 2013, 01:50:50 PM »

My dad hurt my brain when I was a kid.  Many of my friends got money rewards for good grades.  I didn't and I asked about it.  I was in third or fourth grade at the time.  My dad said "why should I pay you for good grades?  Its your job to get good grades, you shouldn't need to be bribed."

I was a kid sure, but I was old enough to know my dad didn't go to work every morning for fun, or for free.  He went because it was his job and he was paid for it.  It wasn't bribery, it was payment for a job done.

A better argument would have been "education is the reward."  Not that would have resonated with a kid any better...

Reika

« Reply #6973 on: February 07, 2013, 01:57:38 PM »
While I'm not a supervisor, I do handle escalated calls at my call center. Today I had one because a customer who lives in Utah was angry that the letter we sent yesterday (February 6, 2013) from Florida wasn't at her house today (February 7, 2013).

It took me five minutes to finally get through to her why she wouldn't have gotten the letter yet. I did offer to fax or email it to her, but she didn't want anything to do with that. She just kept insisting that the post office should have gotten it to her by now.  ???

staceym

« Reply #6974 on: February 07, 2013, 01:58:15 PM »

my mom too - it's frustrating because she will call me at work and I try to walk her through it, but it's hard when I can't see what she is doing or show her where to go.

but I remember this one...one time her monitor did die and she had to get another one..

some time after getting a new monitor, she calls me and said she thinks this one died too, I went what it couldn't have, what happened, - she said - it black again and I can't do anything.

me - okay, first you're sure the monitor is on, is the button lit
mom- what button
me - the power button on the monitor, is it lit
mom- I don't know
me - look at the bottom of the monitor - are there any lights lit
mom - no
me - there should be a button on the bottom right, push it in
mom - OH!! - umm never mind  :)
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 02:09:49 PM by staceym »