Author Topic: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt  (Read 1005255 times)

Kimblee

• I look good in white....
  • Super Hero!
  • "Hugs don't go Boom." "They don't? Since when?"
    • My Blog
Re: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt
« Reply #7005 on: February 09, 2013, 08:30:41 PM »
Kimblee, my aunt runs a company where she does home visits (and nursing home visits) to elderly people.  Some of them live alone and are mostly okay, but they need somebody to come by and help them wash their hair, or run the vacuum, or things like that.  Others are people who need a lot more help, some are even in nursing homes, and they are normally getting that help, but their family wants to go on vacation for a week or two.  The family doesn't want their elderly mother to sit in the nursing home alone with no visitors for those two weeks, so my aunt or her employees go by the nursing home and spend a couple of hours visiting the elderly person, chatting, bringing things to them, reading to them, taking them to the bathroom or for a walk, etc.  That would be an awesome job for you!

Yeah, that sounds like what I used to do foir kinda-grandpa. Any idea what that service might be called so I can find out if there's something similar around here? (sorry to unrail the thread with these questions, but this actually sounds like a job I would enjoy a lot.)

B/G on Kinda-Grandpa, since I've mentioned him twice: He was my evil grandmother's ex-husband and while my cousins were his grandkids, he and I didn't meet until I was an adult. I went to his house several times a week to unpack his groceries, make sure his medicine box was stocked correctly and change the afghans on his furniture. And some weeks to take care of him because his home care nurse was being a [word I really shouldn't say].

I also went to the VA hospital with him, although my aunt was his main caregiver for that. i was just there because I have a strong back and could help him on and off the toilet. Auntie just couldn't handle that with her bad back. Plus I got to hang out in the motel and be away from my "real life" for a few days. Everyone won on that situation.

Dr. F.

« Reply #7006 on: February 09, 2013, 08:45:28 PM »
A good friend of mine does elder-care. She's EXTREMELY good at it, and quite well-paid (which, as her husband has been working on his dissertation for 5 years, is a good thing). I don't think she's had any specific training, aside from basic first-aid and CPR types things. She gets clients through word of mouth, and is in high demand. I can ask her if you're interested - PM me if you want me to ask her.

Kimblee, my aunt runs a company where she does home visits (and nursing home visits) to elderly people.  Some of them live alone and are mostly okay, but they need somebody to come by and help them wash their hair, or run the vacuum, or things like that.  Others are people who need a lot more help, some are even in nursing homes, and they are normally getting that help, but their family wants to go on vacation for a week or two.  The family doesn't want their elderly mother to sit in the nursing home alone with no visitors for those two weeks, so my aunt or her employees go by the nursing home and spend a couple of hours visiting the elderly person, chatting, bringing things to them, reading to them, taking them to the bathroom or for a walk, etc.  That would be an awesome job for you!

Yeah, that sounds like what I used to do foir kinda-grandpa. Any idea what that service might be called so I can find out if there's something similar around here? (sorry to unrail the thread with these questions, but this actually sounds like a job I would enjoy a lot.)

B/G on Kinda-Grandpa, since I've mentioned him twice: He was my evil grandmother's ex-husband and while my cousins were his grandkids, he and I didn't meet until I was an adult. I went to his house several times a week to unpack his groceries, make sure his medicine box was stocked correctly and change the afghans on his furniture. And some weeks to take care of him because his home care nurse was being a [word I really shouldn't say].

I also went to the VA hospital with him, although my aunt was his main caregiver for that. i was just there because I have a strong back and could help him on and off the toilet. Auntie just couldn't handle that with her bad back. Plus I got to hang out in the motel and be away from my "real life" for a few days. Everyone won on that situation.

Black Delphinium

• The Black Flower
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #7007 on: February 09, 2013, 08:53:51 PM »
Kimble, I used to work in a private care home as a Direct Care Provider. No certification needed, minus First Aid and stuff.

We did meals and baths and stuff. It was both nice and awful. Some days were awesome and some days drove me to drink, but on the whole it was lovely.
When angels go bad, they go worse than anyone. Remember, Lucifer was an angel. ~The Marquis De Carabas

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #7008 on: February 09, 2013, 08:59:41 PM »
It's sort of like this, Kimblee: http://www.homelifecareinc.com/services.htm  So possibly look up "personal care services" or "home care aide," etc.  Respite will get you lots of hits about foster care, so I probably wouldn't start there.  In general, the type of company seems to be a "home care agency."

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #7009 on: February 09, 2013, 11:58:20 PM »
Not an exchange, but something I saw that made my brain hurt.

I was at Target recently and saw a toddler-sized onesie with "Single and LOVING it!" written on it.

WHY?

See, that actually amuses me and I usually hate that kind of thing on babies/toddlers (or adults for that matter). Possibly because my brain interprets it as a mockery of the whole idea of writing your relationship status across your chest, but maybe that's just me.

It sure beats the 50-something woman I saw today, whose shirt read "I <3 BOYS!"   ::)

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #7010 on: February 10, 2013, 12:28:27 AM »
Kimble, I used to work in a private care home as a Direct Care Provider. No certification needed, minus First Aid and stuff.

We did meals and baths and stuff. It was both nice and awful. Some days were awesome and some days drove me to drink, but on the whole it was lovely.

Not to mention, from someone whose parent needs this help from time to time, it can be a real lifesaver.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

SheltieMom

« Reply #7011 on: February 10, 2013, 01:05:55 AM »
Kimblee, I just sent you a PM about a program in Hurst, which I think is pretty close to you. It's a one month course that will train you to pass the exam to be a Certified Nursing Assistant. I'm trying to talk my DIL into taking it.
If Timmy had had a Sheltie, he never would have fallen in that well!

Nikko-chan

« Reply #7012 on: February 10, 2013, 02:54:37 AM »
Not an exchange, but something I saw that made my brain hurt.

I was at Target recently and saw a toddler-sized onesie with "Single and LOVING it!" written on it.

WHY?

See, that actually amuses me and I usually hate that kind of thing on babies/toddlers (or adults for that matter). Possibly because my brain interprets it as a mockery of the whole idea of writing your relationship status across your chest, but maybe that's just me.

It sure beats the 50-something woman I saw today, whose shirt read "I <3 BOYS!"   ::)

Oh dear...

robobecky

« Reply #7013 on: February 10, 2013, 11:49:20 AM »
Couldn't get the quote tree to work right.   Kimblee, another option is Visiting Angels if they have that in your area.  My mom does it, and she goes to senior's houses, talks with them, helps with meals and light cleaning, transportation to appointments, and for one woman, spends 2 nights a week with her since she can't be left alone.  This agency is a good option for families trying to keep their elderly relatives out of nursing homes but who can't be on their own all the time.

Lynn2000

« Reply #7014 on: February 11, 2013, 10:44:48 AM »
My mom has caused me plenty of brain-hurting moments with computers, too, so I feel your pain, Miss Tickle. She really, really tries and has actually learned to do some stuff on the computer on her own, that I don't know how to do, because she really wanted to do it. But then she'll call with a problem and can't really explain it to me with words I understand, and can't answer the questions I ask, and can't do simple things like copy and paste or type an address into a browser, and we both just end up really frustrated.  :( I'm not at all a computer person, I just use them a lot more than she does, so I really don't want to be "responsible" for her computer use and maintenance, but I also don't want to be totally unhelpful.

I apologize if someone else has pointed this out, but if I don't post it while I'm reading this post, I'll forget. You can download a program called "Crossloop" onto your computer and your Mom's computer (next time you are at her house). With this program, it's really easy to link to her computer over the internet and you control her computer. Makes fixing things much easier without having to leave your house! :)

I've thought about doing something like this--I know there are several similar programs. My mom gets really excited whenever I mention it, which kinda turns me off doing it... I don't want to be called upon to figure out every little thing, just because I have the magic program that can take over her computer, you know? I can see it now: "I can't figure out how to move these files from one folder to another. Can you just do it for me?"  :o

On a related note, my cousin posted on Facebook that she was now officially an "old parent," because her six-year-old had to help her download and install something on her phone. ;) I like to think the people of my generation are now passing the brain hurt of technology onto the next generation.
~Lynn2000

2littlemonkeys

« Reply #7015 on: February 11, 2013, 11:00:57 AM »
[snip]

On a related note, my cousin posted on Facebook that she was now officially an "old parent," because her six-year-old had to help her download and install something on her phone. ;) I like to think the people of my generation are now passing the brain hurt of technology onto the next generation.

LOL!  I hear you.  I'll never forget the day my then 4-year-old showed me a much simpler way to switch between the cable and DVD player.   ::)

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7016 on: February 11, 2013, 02:15:51 PM »
lilfox wrote:

"So, in an effort to forestall the budget removal, our project manager just sent an email saying essentially "Spend to your plan!"  But we can't because nothing is as budget-intense as data collection, which we simply can't do now.  And because the system won't let us move the money out to when we'll need it, it now looks like we have buckets of unused money."

Spend the money hiring a consultant to do data collection.  Have that consultant start the data collection when the time is right, and then pay the consultant now to reserve their employment.  You should also consider the possibility of moonlighting as a data collection consultant.  I hear at least one company in your area is looking to hire.

You're welcome.

On a serious note, though, if your data collection involves third party consultants or companies, just contract with them now for services on X date.  It's an ages-old method for moving money around in the budget when time is involved.  Have a discussion with your favorite accountant for all the details.

Virg

Shalamar

« Reply #7017 on: February 11, 2013, 03:20:23 PM »
This conversation with a co-worker made my brain hurt.

The background is that she had created a problem ticket saying that a file which should have been created on Saturday wasn't created.  I knew that the system which was supposed to create that file was having issues on Friday and Saturday, so I needed to find out if those issues had been resolved before I could try to get her file for her.

She called me just now, and we had this conversation:

Her:  How's it going getting that file for me?
Me:  I have to see if the Blah System is working first, then I can get your file restored for you.
Her:  Okay.  Oh, by the way, it's not the Saturday file I want after all.  It's the Friday file.
Me:  ... okay.

I have to ask - shouldn't she have led with "I asked you for the wrong file before"?   ???

2littlemonkeys

« Reply #7018 on: February 11, 2013, 05:04:36 PM »
I was going to post this in the Special Snowflake thread but then I realized it was more brain hurty than anything.  Though the guy was still kind of SS-y for the attitude.

In our city, every car must have a City Sticker.  And depending upon what street you live on, some residents are required to have a residential parking sticker if they wish to park on the street.  The City Sticker isn't cheap, they run about $75 per year for your average car (they cost more if you have a large SUV or pickup truck).  The residential stickers are $25/year.  The stickers go on sale in May or early June and they're expected to be on your car by June 30.  This is not a secret and is heavily advertised.  If you buy your sticker after the deadline, it's another $40.  And if the local PD pulls you over or spots your car on the street and it doesn't have a sticker on it, you get a $120 fine. 

So we had this tenant who suddenly absolutely refused to buy a city sticker or residential sticker.  He'd bought them before but decided they were stupid and he just wasn't gonna do it anymore.  I get it, we do a little moaning and eye rolling over it sometimes but it's a requirement for living here.  We're all free to live elsewhere.  No one is being held hostage.

So June 30 came and went and he started getting tickets.  He chose to ignore them and racked up a few tickets.  Then his car got booted (you get the boot when you ignore your 3rd ticket).  It cost $60 to get the boot removed but you have to pay your tickets before they'll do that.  Leave it too long and you get towed.  And THEN you get to pay for the impound to spring your car.

So he got towed.  By my estimates, he now had to pony up at least $580 in boot/tickets/impound PLUS the $100 PLUS the $40 late fee because he didn't want to pay $100 to have the proper stickers.  And he really needed his car for work, so he HAD to get it out.  And he complained about it every minute we saw him.   ::)

Softly Spoken

• "I am a hawk on a cliff..."
« Reply #7019 on: February 11, 2013, 05:59:52 PM »
Okay I can't quote a specific exchange but I read a post the other day (lost the thread sorry) and then heard a similar comment on t.v. so I have to mention this here because my brain is twinging on it. I am pretty sure I am making my own brain hurt with this, and maybe I should put it under "stupid questions" but it is more of an observation that I wanted to know if anyone else has noticed:

Has anyone ever heard where people are talking about someone who has passed away, and they talk about how "so-and-so did/was XYZ when they were alive." Why do they feel the need to say "when they were alive"? Unless you believe in zombies or resurrection, wouldn't it be naturally assumed that anything you say about a deceased person would be applied to the time before they became deceased?  ???

If I were talking about my Mom, I would say "My Mom loved musicals." I wouldn't say "My Mom loved musicals, when she was alive." If her taste had changed during her lifetime, then I would say something like "My Mom loved musicals when she was older," or maybe "My Mom loved listening to musicals up to the day she died." All these phrases either give a fact about my mother and/or put the character trait into chronological context.

Am I just crazy/nitpicking? It just seems strange to my ears when people make a big deal about someone doing something "when they were alive" - when else would the person in question have done it? ::)
"... for there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so."
-William Shakespeare

"We find comfort among those who agree with us - growth among those who don't."  ~Frank A. Clark