Author Topic: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt  (Read 1047095 times)

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
Re: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt
« Reply #7035 on: February 12, 2013, 12:52:35 PM »
I was going to post this in the Special Snowflake thread but then I realized it was more brain hurty than anything.  Though the guy was still kind of SS-y for the attitude.

In our city, every car must have a City Sticker. 
What do visitors to your city do?  How does a cop tell whether this is a resident car or a visitor's car?  If they take the time to run every plate that doesn't have a city sticker, when do they have time to do actual police work?
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.

BabyMama

• Kim Chee Casserole
« Reply #7036 on: February 12, 2013, 01:23:39 PM »
I just joined an organization and was talked into heading the fundraising committee. As the group has recently encountered events where funds are needed, I sent out an e-mail with some suggestions for fundraisers that could generate more immediate profits (like an Internet auction where we could sell something right away, like a rather than, say, a fundraiser dinner that would need to be planned several months in the future.)

I got an e-mail back from one of the members saying she didn't want to sell tickets and didn't want to ask people for money. What did you think raising money for a nonprofit entailed...?  ???

Sebastienne

« Reply #7037 on: February 12, 2013, 01:38:17 PM »
I was going to post this in the Special Snowflake thread but then I realized it was more brain hurty than anything.  Though the guy was still kind of SS-y for the attitude.

What do visitors to your city do?  How does a cop tell whether this is a resident car or a visitor's car?  If they take the time to run every plate that doesn't have a city sticker, when do they have time to do actual police work?

Out of state plates usually get a bye. For the six years I lived there, as well, cars without any city stickers (i.e., cars that didn't advertise a history of living in Chicago) were also usually okay. But heaven help you if you moved out of town, kept your IL plates, and didn't remove your earlier stickers!

Every day I didn't get a ticket for anything felt like a little blessing. I got ticketed twice in one day when someone stole my front license plate (because that's something you can obviously fix in an hour). Parking tickets seem to fund the entire city. Which is why it felt like the biggest win ever to actually get our ridiculous ticket repealed.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #7038 on: February 12, 2013, 02:17:34 PM »

That explains why it could take three to six MONTHS to get a police report for an accident in Chicago (when I worked for a car insurance company)...except for the one accident where an anorexic blacked out and hit the parked & unoccupied vehicle belonging to a police muckety-muck in front of the muckety-muck's house......that one got to us in a week.

They were too busy with tracking everyone's city parking stickers.....
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

2littlemonkeys

« Reply #7039 on: February 12, 2013, 03:43:26 PM »

Well, there are officers who do sticker checks, I see them on our street every day.  I suppose if you have an IL plate and no sticker, they check to see if you're a city resident or not.  They don't seem to bother with the OOS plates unless it's becoming apparent that someone has moved from OOS and not properly registered their car.  I think we have 90 days.

Sebastienne, I hear you on the parking tickets.  And just about everyone I know has received at least one phantom ticket.  That's where you get a ticket but don't know about it until the warning plus an extra fee for not paying on the ticket you never got comes to your house.

LEMon

« Reply #7040 on: February 12, 2013, 05:07:19 PM »
I guess I can understand the ". . . when she was alive" thing because even though the fact that a loved one is deceased may be obvious to the speaker, it's not always immediately memorable or obvious to everyone else.  I would have to stop and think a minute to remember which of my best friends' grandparents are still alive, for example - even when the deaths were fairly recent.  "My grandmother loved going to musicals" could imply she's dead, or she's now in a nursing home and can't go anymore, or she has dementia, or she was so upset when "Cats" closed that she couldn't bring herself to ever attend a musical again.  The ". . . when she was alive" cues the listener in to asking follow-up questions like "What was her favorite?" instead of anything like "What does she do for fun now?" or "Does she hope to be in one someday?"   :P
Thank you for explaining this.  I had been trying to think why I felt the "... when she was alive" wording was helpful, and this explains it well.  I'm one of those oblivious folks who would ask, "what she likes to do now?" and would be very embarrassed to hear she was deceased.

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7041 on: February 12, 2013, 05:47:49 PM »
Had a good one yesterday.

I was in the card store and there was a woman engaged in a discussion with a clerk about tea roses, of all things.  She was convinced, and vehement about it, that the flowers are called tea roses because of their orange - brown color. 

I didn't get involved but I was always under the impression that the flowers were named because their fragrance was reminiscent of tea.  They come in several colors, as I understand it.

I was always under the impression that they were called tea roses because they were smaller and more delicate . . . you know, the perfect centerpiece on your tea table at tea time when you used the fancy, delicate china and served the small petits fours and finger sandwiches.

:-\

Jones

« Reply #7042 on: February 12, 2013, 06:12:54 PM »
Jpcher-- me, too; like tea lights.

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #7043 on: February 12, 2013, 06:26:48 PM »
Had a good one yesterday.

I was in the card store and there was a woman engaged in a discussion with a clerk about tea roses, of all things.  She was convinced, and vehement about it, that the flowers are called tea roses because of their orange - brown color. 

I didn't get involved but I was always under the impression that the flowers were named because their fragrance was reminiscent of tea.  They come in several colors, as I understand it.

I was always under the impression that they were called tea roses because they were smaller and more delicate . . . you know, the perfect centerpiece on your tea table at tea time when you used the fancy, delicate china and served the small petits fours and finger sandwiches.

:-\

As far as I know "tea roses" smell like roses; Tea roses refers to miniature roses.

mw8242

« Reply #7044 on: February 12, 2013, 06:36:08 PM »
Re: parking
I live in a city that you have to have resident parking stickers. If you don't you can park at a metered spot or one of the parking garages. There is no free parking in town. If I have out of town visitors I can buy $5 guest passes up to 7 at a time. The town makes a ton of money from parking. Stickers are $20 for the year but there is never enough parking. I've regularly driven around 15-30 min looking for a spot. Love my city but parking drives me nuts!

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7045 on: February 12, 2013, 07:23:08 PM »
Every day I didn't get a ticket for anything felt like a little blessing. I got ticketed twice in one day when someone stole my front license plate (because that's something you can obviously fix in an hour). Parking tickets seem to fund the entire city. Which is why it felt like the biggest win ever to actually get our ridiculous ticket repealed.
Next time you get a ticket for something that you can't fix immediately, leave the original ticket in place under your wiper.  They shouldn't ticket you again if there's one on there already. (Says the lady who avoids cities whenever humanly possible.)
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #7046 on: February 12, 2013, 07:26:17 PM »
Re: parking
I live in a city that you have to have resident parking stickers. If you don't you can park at a metered spot or one of the parking garages. There is no free parking in town. If I have out of town visitors I can buy $5 guest passes up to 7 at a time. The town makes a ton of money from parking. Stickers are $20 for the year but there is never enough parking. I've regularly driven around 15-30 min looking for a spot. Love my city but parking drives me nuts!
I wish we could do that in Waikiki.  I hear people complain that there is so little free parking.  I say, "I have to pay for my parking space and I live here!"  A covered parking stall in a secured building is worth $15,000 to $20,000.

I don't know why people think that their car registration entitles them to park free anywhere.  I wish we had resident parking stickers, but even then, I don't think there should be any free parking in Waikiki; Space is too dear.  If you don't want to pay for parking, take a bus, bike, walk, take a taxi.  There are lots of options.
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

mmswm

« Reply #7047 on: February 12, 2013, 07:32:47 PM »
One of the silver linings of the big black clouds in my life is the fact that in this city you get to park for free anywhere (except private lots) with a handicap parking placard.  It definitely makes parking downtown and at the beach a far more pleasant experience.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #7048 on: February 12, 2013, 07:55:45 PM »
A woman in my office needed to ask a question and have it answered by everyone in the department – kind of like a survey. She emailed about half and for the rest went desk to desk individually and asked, because she said, “I don’t have everyone’s email address.” Um. K. There is a department email address. Emails are sent several times a day to and from the department address. It’s right there. On top of that, if you type anyone’s first or last name into the address line in Outlook it will give you a suggested list of names, right down to if you type the name in it will populate the email address. Maybe she had other reasons that she didn’t want to share. I honestly hope so. If she has been here several months and doesn’t know how to work Outlook we have a big problem. I really hope it was a (dumb) excuse and she really just wanted to walk around and talk to people or something.

Another person refused to even be involved with an email for a guy at one of our satellite offices because back in high school he was the first person with whom she ever did a particular Scrabble act. I know this not because I am a vicious gossip, but because she went around and made sure we all knew that was exactly why she didn’t want to be in any way involved … I think she thought maybe we would understand? I am flummoxed, especially since she seemed kind of embarrassed, not that she was trying to show off by telling us all this.
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

turtleIScream

« Reply #7049 on: February 12, 2013, 08:57:21 PM »
My nephew was born 3 months after my daughter, and they are now both 12 y/o. We saw nephew this weekend, and I commented to my husband later on the significant height difference (my daughter is nearly 8 inches taller than he is). My husband rolled his eyes and informed me, "well, nephew is only in 6th grade, not 7th like daughter. Of course, he isn't as tall." It took him awhile to grasp the concept that one year apart in school does not mean one year apart in age.