Author Topic: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt  (Read 1044588 times)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
Re: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt
« Reply #7050 on: February 12, 2013, 09:04:38 PM »
DH is the oldest grandchild, and only a few years younger than his Aunt C. After DH and I married 15 years ago, Aunt C was divorced and remarried a few years later. DH and I had DS a year after getting married, and DS is 14. Aunt C's husband Uncle B has a son who is 16 (Cousin A). DS has been at least six inches taller than his cousin since DS was 10. Many members of the family think DS is older than cousin A, especially now that DS is over 6' tall.

They get really confused over which one is driving.  8)

Carotte

« Reply #7051 on: February 13, 2013, 08:12:10 AM »
On top of that, if you type anyone’s first or last name into the address line in Outlook it will give you a suggested list of names, right down to if you type the name in it will populate the email address.

And it's not like most companies have a standard address architecture like john Doe would be j.doe@company.com and so on, if you know their name you know their address..

stitchygreyanonymouse

« Reply #7052 on: February 13, 2013, 10:23:08 AM »
My nephew was born 3 months after my daughter, and they are now both 12 y/o. We saw nephew this weekend, and I commented to my husband later on the significant height difference (my daughter is nearly 8 inches taller than he is). My husband rolled his eyes and informed me, "well, nephew is only in 6th grade, not 7th like daughter. Of course, he isn't as tall." It took him awhile to grasp the concept that one year apart in school does not mean one year apart in age.

Your husband»s comment aside, your nephew still has a chance. One of my friends in 6/7th grade was a guy, also about three months younger than me. At that point, I was a few inches taller than him. Now that we’re adults I’m still that towering 5'3" ;) , and he’s 6'6". Certainly makes my neck hurt, but not my brain so much any more.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7053 on: February 13, 2013, 10:28:36 AM »
My nephew was born 3 months after my daughter, and they are now both 12 y/o. We saw nephew this weekend, and I commented to my husband later on the significant height difference (my daughter is nearly 8 inches taller than he is). My husband rolled his eyes and informed me, "well, nephew is only in 6th grade, not 7th like daughter. Of course, he isn't as tall." It took him awhile to grasp the concept that one year apart in school does not mean one year apart in age.

Your husband»s comment aside, your nephew still has a chance. One of my friends in 6/7th grade was a guy, also about three months younger than me. At that point, I was a few inches taller than him. Now that we’re adults I’m still that towering 5'3" ;) , and he’s 6'6". Certainly makes my neck hurt, but not my brain so much any more.

If you look at a group of 7-8-9 graders, you'll notice that in general the girls are taller than the boys. Boys get their growth later, most starting about 10th grade. My brother and my high school boyfriend didn't get their last growth spurt until they were Freshmen in college.

These are generalizations, the most common appearances. Remember, there is 364 days between the oldest 8th grader and youngest 8th grader, but only one day between the oldest 8th grader and the youngest 9th grader. A lot can happen in a year!

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7054 on: February 13, 2013, 10:52:49 AM »

If you look at a group of 7-8-9 graders, you'll notice that in general the girls are taller than the boys. Boys get their growth later, most starting about 10th grade. My brother and my high school boyfriend didn't get their last growth spurt until they were Freshmen in college.

These are generalizations, the most common appearances. Remember, there is 364 days between the oldest 8th grader and youngest 8th grader, but only one day between the oldest 8th grader and the youngest 9th grader. A lot can happen in a year!

This is so true.  I don't remember it being as drastic when I was growing up, maybe because I saw my male classmates every day. But with my DD, it's shocking at times to see the cute boy who was a little shorter than DD in 8th grade tower over her now.  And DS was short for his age through middle school but went from 5'2" at end of 8th grade to 6 foot in a year and a half. 

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7055 on: February 13, 2013, 10:59:08 AM »
That is so true it can be shocking.  At a family gathering we saw 'Timmy' at 14.  He was, to be honest, a short, round child.  Two years later, when we next saw him, he had turned into a tall, well-built young man.  If we saw him on the street, we wouldn't have recognized him. 

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #7056 on: February 13, 2013, 12:14:16 PM »
That is so true it can be shocking.  At a family gathering we saw 'Timmy' at 14.  He was, to be honest, a short, round child.  Two years later, when we next saw him, he had turned into a tall, well-built young man.  If we saw him on the street, we wouldn't have recognized him. 

Matthew Lewis:

Also Matthew Lewis:
Current fosters: Boojum (F, adult);  Balrog, Rooney, Rascal, Rocket (M)

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #7057 on: February 13, 2013, 12:18:25 PM »

Matthew Lewis:

Also Matthew Lewis:

yummmmmmm

EmmaJ.

« Reply #7058 on: February 13, 2013, 12:20:22 PM »

Matthew Lewis:

Also Matthew Lewis:

WOW what a change!  And WOW what a hunk!  :-)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #7059 on: February 13, 2013, 12:59:13 PM »

You are scaring me. DS is 14, wears a size 14EE shoe and is 6'1"!

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7060 on: February 13, 2013, 01:08:38 PM »
Oh man, he sure grew up well didn't he?  I adore Neville Longbottom. :)

DH is only 4 months older than me but graduated hs a year before I did, as he's a July baby and I'm a November baby that was held back in kindergarten because it was decided I wasn't ready for first grade.  Course now you have to be 5 by the beginning of September anyway to start Kindergarten so it's not so odd as it was then. 

When my older two were toddlers we got a lot of "Are they twins?" which I could see since there wasn't much difference in height, they do look quite a bit alike with similar faces, complexions and both towheads (at the time anyway). 

But what kind of made my brain hurt was when they were attending the same school, one in 4th the other in 2nd grades and they still got "Oh, are you two twins?" Um no..they're not even in the same grade, whereas twins (normally) would be.   Given the setup of elementary schools and how classes of the same grade will do some things together and switch classes for certain subjects, you'd think they'd notice that they never saw the other brother. Course perhaps the brain hurt was on the other side as well, with people wondering "If they're twins, why aren't they in the same grade?"

Even now they're about the same height and weight with the eldest being just a bit taller.   Once the middle child said "But we don't even have the same eye color!" I pointed out that his grandfather and great-uncle, who are twins, don't have the same eye color either.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

pierrotlunaire0

• I'm the cat's aunt!
« Reply #7061 on: February 13, 2013, 01:14:37 PM »
Tea roses were originally named that because the scent was reminiscent of fine tea, or at least that is Jackson & Perkins said in their catalog.
I have enough lithium in my medicine cabinet to power three cars across a sizeable desert.  Which makes me officially...Three Cars Crazy

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7062 on: February 13, 2013, 01:47:20 PM »
Piratelvr1121, I wonder what the school district would do if you did have twins, with the first born at 23:58 on August 31st and the second born at 12:05 on September 1st?  Would the August 31st baby start school a year earlier than the September 1st baby?
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

CharlieBraun

« Reply #7063 on: February 13, 2013, 01:51:51 PM »
Piratelvr1121, I wonder what the school district would do if you did have twins, with the first born at 23:58 on August 31st and the second born at 12:05 on September 1st?  Would the August 31st baby start school a year earlier than the September 1st baby?

OW!  Ow! You made my brain hurt!
"We ate the pies."

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7064 on: February 13, 2013, 02:39:31 PM »

OW!  Ow! You made my brain hurt!
This made me curious about how common it is to have twins with different birthdays and just did a Google search and happened upon an article that said there were 3 sets of twins born this pass New Years in separate years in the US.