Author Topic: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt  (Read 1071926 times)

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
Re: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt
« Reply #7065 on: February 13, 2013, 03:27:30 PM »
One of my master teachers always said that Grade 8 is the hardest year on teens - half of them have turned into almost-adults, and the other half still look like little kids, and tend to get treated that way. Growth spurts are so unpredictable.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

SheltieMom

« Reply #7066 on: February 13, 2013, 04:27:43 PM »
Piratelvr1121, I wonder what the school district would do if you did have twins, with the first born at 23:58 on August 31st and the second born at 12:05 on September 1st?  Would the August 31st baby start school a year earlier than the September 1st baby?

OW!  Ow! You made my brain hurt!
This made me curious about how common it is to have twins with different birthdays and just did a Google search and happened upon an article that said there were 3 sets of twins born this pass New Years in separate years in the US.

Most likely they would both start school a year later, but I think the parents would have the option to decide, based on the maturity level of the kids.

I once knew a set of twins who were born in different states! They were born in an ambulance on the way to the hospital. The city bordered the state line, and one was born on each side of the line.
If Timmy had had a Sheltie, he never would have fallen in that well!

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #7067 on: February 13, 2013, 04:35:05 PM »
Piratelvr1121, I wonder what the school district would do if you did have twins, with the first born at 23:58 on August 31st and the second born at 12:05 on September 1st?  Would the August 31st baby start school a year earlier than the September 1st baby?

It happened in the UK in 2008, and yes they were expected to be different year groups.  I can only find news reports from the time of the birth, so I don't know how it was resolved.

MissNomer

« Reply #7068 on: February 13, 2013, 05:54:10 PM »
I've been having a rash of brain hurty conversations lately. The weird thing is these usually happen via text, so I know that I'm not being misheard. The first conversation was with a friend on Sunday:

Me: So, do you want to hang out later or not in the mood for company?
Him: I'm busy right now, could we do later?
Me: Um... I was asking about later. Not now.
Him: Yeah, I can't do now, so later would be better.

And then yesterday I was texting my mother about what soup she wanted to split for lunch:

Me: So there's chicken and quinoa with poblano peppers or Moraccan chicken with chickpeas. Which do you prefer?
Mom: I'll try the one with the chicken.
Me: You realize they both have chicken, right?
Mom: Oh...

And no, she wasn't making a joke, she honestly missed the fact that they both had chicken. Neither one is actually a big deal, but it does kind of bug me...

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7069 on: February 13, 2013, 07:53:31 PM »
One of my master teachers always said that Grade 8 is the hardest year on teens - half of them have turned into almost-adults, and the other half still look like little kids, and tend to get treated that way. Growth spurts are so unpredictable.
Grandson #2 got his growth spurt early, and is one of the largest kids in the 8th grade.  He is having a lot of trouble in school because of it.  He says half the boys want to fight him, to prove that they aren't cowards, and the other half want him to beat someone up for them.

It doesn't help that for the past 2 years, Grandson #2 has been significantly taller than Grandson #1, who is older by 7 months.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Hillia

« Reply #7070 on: February 13, 2013, 08:54:15 PM »
I went to high school with a guy who was not only very short (5'3" or thereabouts) but also very young looking, all the way through school.  He looked like a 12 year old wandering through graduation.  At the 10 year reunion, no one recognized him...he had grown about a foot and was fully adult looking.  I don't know if he had a medical issue that was addressed, or what.

On to the brain hurt...I have an employee who is very good at her job, but tends to martyrdom.  Any teleconference with her starts with a heavy sigh...'Susie's on the call', as if she'd been dragged in at gunpoint.  She works in an office several states away, so her annual review is done by phone.  I scheduled her review 2 weeks ago, and we had it Monday.  As soon as she got on the call, she says, almost weeping, 'I have no phone privacy here!'

I completely agree that she should have privacy during this conversation.  Here's the deal: she has the ability to work from home any time she wants.  She lives alone, so she'd have all the privacy she could want.  She knew about hte meeting 2 weeks in advance.  How hard would it have been for her to just work from home that day?  She doesn't need any special permission or clearance, all she has to do is let me know.  Or if she couldn't work from home that day, ask to reschedule the meeting.  I don't think I'm that much of an ogre that she'd be afraid of making a reasonable request.  No, she'd rather be all put upon and tortured. 

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7071 on: February 13, 2013, 09:31:58 PM »
...   she says, almost weeping, 'I have no phone privacy here!'

Perhaps she mentioned that because she  was hoping that since the evaluation was going to be more or less 'public' that maybe you would go easy on her and perhaps less critical because you didn't want her to be embarrassed or feel humiliated in front of coworkers?  ???

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7072 on: February 13, 2013, 09:36:22 PM »

This made me curious about how common it is to have twins with different birthdays and just did a Google search and happened upon an article that said there were 3 sets of twins born this pass New Years in separate years in the US.

Most likely they would both start school a year later, but I think the parents would have the option to decide, based on the maturity level of the kids.

That's what I would expect too.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Hillia

« Reply #7073 on: February 13, 2013, 09:52:48 PM »
...   she says, almost weeping, 'I have no phone privacy here!'

Perhaps she mentioned that because she  was hoping that since the evaluation was going to be more or less 'public' that maybe you would go easy on her and perhaps less critical because you didn't want her to be embarrassed or feel humiliated in front of coworkers?  ???

Well, no one would have been able to hear my end of the conversation unless she put the phone on speaker, which would have been really silly on her part!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #7074 on: February 13, 2013, 09:56:01 PM »

The Nestling (my sister) started school when she was 4, then promptly turned 5 but three days later.  One of the Eagle's closest friends did the exact same thing.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

BB-VA

« Reply #7075 on: February 13, 2013, 10:04:49 PM »
My husband and I met in 3rd grade (don't ask me how we met except that we were in the same class - neither of us remembers our first meeting).  I COULD LOOK RIGHT OVER HIS HEAD.  I was big for my age, he was on the small side.

However, once he hit puberty, he figured out how to grow.  I topped out at 5'7", he kept going to just under 6 feet. 
"The Universe puts us in places where we can learn. They are never easy places, but they are right. Wherever we are, it's the right place and the right time. Pain that sometimes comes is part of the process of constantly being born."
- Delenn to Sheridan: "Babylon 5 - Distant Star"

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #7076 on: February 13, 2013, 10:27:59 PM »
My husband and I met in 3rd grade (don't ask me how we met except that we were in the same class - neither of us remembers our first meeting).  I COULD LOOK RIGHT OVER HIS HEAD.  I was big for my age, he was on the small side.

However, once he hit puberty, he figured out how to grow.  I topped out at 5'7", he kept going to just under 6 feet.

I was 5'3" in 5th grade and towered over everyone even through 6th grade.  I topped at 5'7" at the end of 6th grade/beginning of 7th and I haven't grown taller since.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

CuriousParty

« Reply #7077 on: February 13, 2013, 10:29:30 PM »

The Nestling (my sister) started school when she was 4, then promptly turned 5 but three days later.  One of the Eagle's closest friends did the exact same thing.
In my experience, most school systems have a method to "test in" for kids who are close to the cutoff (say 2 weeks or a month or so).  However, in my area it's also becoming common to hold kids out an additional year, especially late summer babies.

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
  • ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
« Reply #7078 on: February 13, 2013, 10:47:52 PM »
Actually, the twins would need to have birthdays of Sept. 1 and Sept. 2 to be one year apart in school.
"Must be age 5 by September 1st" is the common rule.  September 2nd is a rotten b-day to have for some!

My b-day is 9-1.  made it with a few hours to spare!   DH and I both graduated HS at 17, as will our DD.  I stared college at 17, but only for a few days. 

Minor brain confusion at the pharmacy-
"pick-up or drop off?"
it is a refill, may or may not have been called in by doc.
"So, which is it?"
I dunno.
Had a new insurance card so we got all the right info and all is well, regardless.  :)
Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #7079 on: February 13, 2013, 10:49:42 PM »
That is so true it can be shocking.  At a family gathering we saw 'Timmy' at 14.  He was, to be honest, a short, round child.  Two years later, when we next saw him, he had turned into a tall, well-built young man.  If we saw him on the street, we wouldn't have recognized him. 

Matthew Lewis:

Also Matthew Lewis:

WOW what a change!  And WOW what a hunk!  :-)

Keep in the mind they gave him false buck teeth and padding to make his ears stick out.