Author Topic: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt  (Read 1039200 times)

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
Re: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt
« Reply #7080 on: February 13, 2013, 10:53:11 PM »
A note on height and brain hurt.

I used to work in a doctor's office and one of my duties involved bringing faxes to the appropriate folders which sometimes meant just pulling the files off the shelves and putting them in a cubby for the appropriate doctor but sometimes if the patient had been recently seen I'd have to hunt them down wherever the doc preferred them to be so he could write notes.

Well one day I happened to be looking through the files on the nurses station when she brought a woman back and measured her height.  Which was 5'2 3/4". (which is also my height, so my ears perked up at that)

The woman says "Boy, I've shrunk, I used to be 5'7!"  :o  Good grief, if it's possible to shrink that much I'm in trouble! LOL!  Here I was expecting to end up maybe just under 5' when I'm older.  But man, 5 inches?
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #7081 on: February 13, 2013, 10:59:24 PM »
My last year of high school in 1987, I was 5'11 3/4". I am now 5'10".

I blame DS.  >:D

Miss Tickle

« Reply #7082 on: February 13, 2013, 11:45:07 PM »

We used to peel the protective paper off of the sticker and before we applied it, cut a piece of Baggie the size of the sticker then about 1/2 " narrower, put that on the sticker leaving about 1/4 " on the side edges to stick it on the window. Then we removed the thing every year and only had those small strips to remove, if we felt like it. Some years they were clear so we put the new sticker right on top of the old edges.

Well, aren't you clever! I have to stick an association sticker to our window each year and now it will be a snap, thank you.

Miss Tickle

« Reply #7083 on: February 13, 2013, 11:59:29 PM »
That is so true it can be shocking.  At a family gathering we saw 'Timmy' at 14.  He was, to be honest, a short, round child.  Two years later, when we next saw him, he had turned into a tall, well-built young man.  If we saw him on the street, we wouldn't have recognized him. 

Matthew Lewis:

Also Matthew Lewis:

WOW what a change!  And WOW what a hunk!  :-)
Reminds me of Jerry O'Connell.

LadyJaneinMD

« Reply #7084 on: February 14, 2013, 07:43:00 AM »
My last year of high school in 1987, I was 5'11 3/4". I am now 5'10".

I blame DS.  >:D

I have been 5'7 1/2" for most of my life.  Sometime in my 40s, I grew to 5' 8 1/4".   And my eyes changed from bright blue to mossy green.

I have no idea how or why.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7085 on: February 14, 2013, 09:45:14 AM »
When I was a child and into my early teens, I had olive skin that tanned beautifully and without effort. Around age 16, my skin changed to a blue-undertone and very pale that burns very easily. My hair has lightened from brunette to a dark strawberry blond. My eyes have stayed a green/blue/grey hazel with a gold ring around the pupil. DS has my eyes.

stitchygreyanonymouse

« Reply #7086 on: February 14, 2013, 10:10:31 AM »
I was similar. As a kid, I had skin that, while normally somewhat pale would easily develop into a deep tan in the summer. My hair was blond and mostly straight, and would go almost white in the sun.

Then I hit puberty, stopped growing in height, suddenly had skin that burns at the thought of sun and was even paler, and my hair went curly and turned medium brown.

My hair will be the death of me. It took me 10 years to learn how to deal with my curly hair and be pretty good at it, then I decided to cut it to chin length last summer and it suddenly stopped being curly. Run a brush through it, and I don’t even need a straightener. So, now I’m back to learning how to style it.

ETA: brain hurt—one of the last women that cut my almost waist-length curly hair before I chopped it all off just couldn’t get over how curly and soft it was, and how I must not have styled it that often or dyed it (true, it was actually pretty wash and wear, maybe a bit of curl defining mousse). She kept lamenting how she wishes her hair was like that too. Well, lady, it’d be an easy fix, considering you just named off the reasons why mine was…you could do the same!
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 10:13:43 AM by stitchygreyanonymouse »

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7087 on: February 14, 2013, 10:27:53 AM »
I have good thick hair. I don't have to do much to it, but I got it cut a month ago because I was tired of dealing with it and I need something much shorter for an outdoor training program I am participating in next month.

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #7088 on: February 14, 2013, 10:29:43 AM »
A note on height and brain hurt.

I used to work in a doctor's office and one of my duties involved bringing faxes to the appropriate folders which sometimes meant just pulling the files off the shelves and putting them in a cubby for the appropriate doctor but sometimes if the patient had been recently seen I'd have to hunt them down wherever the doc preferred them to be so he could write notes.

Well one day I happened to be looking through the files on the nurses station when she brought a woman back and measured her height.  Which was 5'2 3/4". (which is also my height, so my ears perked up at that)

The woman says "Boy, I've shrunk, I used to be 5'7!"  :o  Good grief, if it's possible to shrink that much I'm in trouble! LOL!  Here I was expecting to end up maybe just under 5' when I'm older.  But man, 5 inches?

Osteoporosis does that to you. My great grandma was 5'6 in her prime, and was 4'11 (about my height) when she died - all because of severe osteoporosis. My grandma was 5'7 and has already shrunk 2 inches by 72. If she lives as long as her mother, she too may be quite a bit shorter and have a "widow's hump."
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

Elisabunny

« Reply #7089 on: February 14, 2013, 03:15:11 PM »
Last night Middle DD came home excited because some band was coming and the choir (which she is a part of) was going to sing with them, and the orchestra and one of the bands would perform with them too.  Please, Mom, will you come?!

So I went.  Turns out, it was an organization that promotes kids becoming involved in music.  Good, right?  Except their performance was really, really, REALLY loud.  Even though I was out in the hallway, my ears were shutting down.  So my building headache was compounded by the brainhurt of, "You're promoting music by causing deafness." :o

(And yes, I probably should go tell those dang kids to get off my lawn. ;) )
You must remember this: a ghoti is still a fish...

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #7090 on: February 14, 2013, 03:36:10 PM »
Oof, you reminded me of a literal "brain hurt" concert I participated in while in high school.  It was part of some initiative to promote musical literacy, so the high school's choir and the two junior high's choirs and the three jazz bands were all performing the same song at the same time.  There wasn't space for everyone on stage, so the bands got put on the stage and the choirs spread out along the walls in the high school auditorium.  We didn't get to practice it with all three schools together before the performance, which was a mistake . . .

Issue #1: sound takes time to travel.  This was a pretty big auditorium.  From where my part of the choir was standing, the band sounded half a beat late because they were so far away, so we inadvertently slowed down a bit to get back in sync.  And they did the same because our voices sounded half a beat behind them (to their ears).  Since nobody watched the conductor and half of us couldn't see him anyway, I think he just gave up - by the end of the song we were singing noticeably slower than we were at the beginning.

Issue #2: Choral songs often come in two versions, "high voice" and "low voice."  It's the same music, but transposed four or five steps - so sopranos/tenors could sing it in their comfort range, or altos/basses could sing it in theirs.  It's not usually an issue for four-part music, but for some reason this song came in the two different versions and one of the junior highs had the opposite one.  We had two bands and two choirs playing/singing in one key, while the third band and the third choir played/sang a tritone off (the most dissonant possible combination).

We. Sounded. Awful.  As in, awful enough that our parents in the audience were trying very hard not to snicker, and were failing.  I was absolutely mortified at the time, but now I can look back at that concert as a fantastic example of why dress rehearsals are important!

ica171

• Must Add Fabric Softener
« Reply #7091 on: February 14, 2013, 07:17:50 PM »
My bank, again.  The claim they tried to phone me (but didn't leave a message), then wrote to me to say they needed me to call this person between 9-5 Monday-Friday or I could email them.  As 9-5 is also when I work I can't call them so I emailed asking what needed to discuss with me, their response "It's best you come into branch as we can't deal with this over the phone".  Why didn't they just send me a letter asking me to go into branch?!

This is a while back, but it reminded me of something our bank did that still has my brain hurting, and that lost them some business.

We have our main account with Bank A, but when we went to buy a car they did financing through Credit Union B, so we have our car loan through them.

We paid off a significant amount of the principal on the loan and wanted to see how much it would cost to refinance it to make our monthly payments lower. DH went in and filled all the paperwork out, and we wait and wait and wait, then wait some more. After a month or so we got a rejection letter. They said we were rejected because they had tried to call us about our loan application but we never responded, so they were cancelling our application. First of all, no you did not try to call us. Our only phone is a cell phone and it records the numbers of incoming calls. You did not try to call us. Second of all, if you tried and couldn't get a hold of us, why not send a letter saying "this is your last chance, we've been trying to contact you [not really] but if you don't contact us within X days then we're going to cancel your application." So we will be going to Bank A to see what they can do and closing our accounts with Credit Union B. We will probably never do business with them again, which is a shame because their locations are more convenient than Bank A's. But either they're too incompetent to dial a phone number correctly or they're liars, neither of which inspires much faith in their abilities.

MizB

« Reply #7092 on: February 15, 2013, 02:13:36 AM »
One last post on the changing hair and skin tone. I was born with black hair. As a small child it lightened a bit to very deep mahogany brown and I had skin that would tan beautifully. As I grew older my hair continued to lighten to where now at 27 I am a dirty blonde and my pale skin burns rather than tans.
‘All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing’  attributed to Edmund Burke 1729-1797

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
« Reply #7093 on: February 15, 2013, 08:54:21 AM »
Had one yesterday with my boss. We're going over a group of data points for a new database we're deploying, and part of the data included is survey data (physical surveys of structures). We had two measurements we were discussing that were measured in AMSL terms (above mean sea level, as opposed to AGL, above ground level, like many measurements are taken). He argued (and won, since he's my boss) that the term AMSL was jargon and confusing - but it's one that is an industry standard, and we are dealing with people who work in this industry exclusively for this data, and it's a description of measurement for pete's sake! That's like saying feet square or degrees below zero is confusing.

We ended up describing what went into the measurement instead of saying total height AMSL (which is ground elevation + structure height + appurtenance height).

Margo

« Reply #7094 on: February 15, 2013, 09:43:59 AM »
I had one with my phone company recently.

The phone line went dead, so I contacted the company via their website and booked for an engineer to come out. This involved giving them contact details, so of course I changed the contact number to that of my mobile phone, rather than the landline which wasn't working.

I then got a confirmation e-mail which confirmed that the engineer would phone when he was on his way (the booking was for a 4 hour slot)

What made my brain hurt was that in the e-mail, which had the subject line "Problem with you phone line" and which appeared to have been written by a human being not a robot, included the line
"I notice that you have given a different contact number from the number you have with us. Are you sure you don't want us to call you on your land line number?"

My sister had a similar situation with the same company. In her case they kept not turning up for appointments because she had not re-confirmed the appointments with them, as requested in the voice-mails they had been leaving her. On the phone which she had reported to them was not working at all. In any way.  They also managed to disconnect her internet when fixing the phone, at which point they started sending the appointment confirmations by e-mail. To someone else's e-mail address.
I think they ended up giving her a free upgrade and 6 months free contract as a result of that one.